« It is worth noting I often hear Oompa music when I read XKCD. I have no idea why. | Main | The sad thing is, I generally preferred Siskel to Ebert. »

Eric: Next, I fully expect we'll be introduced to an irish anthropomorphic fish with sleep inducing powers dressed as a 1920's Chicago Gangster.

Evil, Inc!

(From Evil, Inc. Click on the thumbnail for full sized flashback!)

For the record, I smirked.

Also for the record, one doesn't go to Brad Guigar in the first place if they're not prepared for the occasional pun.

However, I put it to you, the assemblage. How far is too far when setting up said pun?

Posted by Eric Burns-White at August 28, 2008 11:26 AM

Comments

Comment from: coriolinus [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at August 28, 2008 12:44 PM

To the bar, the new pirate struts.
From his pants, a strange object juts.
The bar tender says "Heel!
What's the point of that wheel?"
Says the pirate, "It's driving me nuts!"

Comment from: 32_footsteps [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at August 28, 2008 12:48 PM

You know what the best Bad Joke ever is?

"A man walks into a bar, dressed as a pirate with a steering wheel in his pants. The bartender says, 'Hey, why do you have a steering wheel in your pants?' The pirate's reply?

'Arr, it's drivin' me nuts!'"

It's a positively terrible joke... and everyone I've told it to always laughs at it even while admitting it's terrible.

Today's Evil, Inc. is a close cousin to that joke, and while not as good, it makes me smile on similar grounds.

Plus, Guigar lives really close to Amish country. You had to figure an Amish joke would get in there eventually.

Comment from: coriolinus [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at August 28, 2008 3:10 PM

I totally got there first.

Comment from: Thomas Blight [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at August 28, 2008 5:37 PM

Coincidentally, that happens to be my best bad joke too. Though I usually cut the buildup and just say, "What did the pirate say about the steering wheel in his pants? Yarr, it be drivin' me nuts."

Comment from: Paul Gadzikowski [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at August 28, 2008 5:39 PM

Too far is the burnin' buildin' 'tween the one far and the three far.

Comment from: 32_footsteps [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at August 28, 2008 7:34 PM

Damn it! If my boss hadn't distracted me with "work", I totally could have gotten that in first.

I've also heard the version where a cop pulls over a guy speeding, and he sees the driver is yada yada... wonderfully bad joke, and with so many ways to set it up, too.

Comment from: LurkerWithout [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at August 29, 2008 8:15 AM

I don't know about the pun, but I want to know how he got beat up by someone who is Amish? Or is the dude just PRETEND Amish like the old ECW guy...

Damn fake Amish. Next thing you know there will be gangs of pseudo-Mennonites robbing liquor stores and solicting hookers...

Comment from: Paul A. [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at August 29, 2008 8:46 AM

It's the Quakers who are ironclad pacifists, isn't it? The Amish are the ones who don't adopt new technology until they're absolutely convinced that it will actually make their lives better.

(Now I'm remembering the old joke about the Quaker and the burglar. "Friend, I would not hurt thee for the world, but thou art standing right where I am about to fire this shotgun.")

Comment from: leons1701 [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at August 29, 2008 12:56 PM

The Amish are pacifists as well. Of course, an Amish Pirate superhero might bend the rules just a wee bit.

For the record, I have an Amish character on CoH, though I don't play him a lot.

Comment from: 32_footsteps [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at August 29, 2008 4:03 PM

Man, so many wrong views of the Amish. You think they're all quaint and timid, and then you run afoul of just one Amish meth dealer...

Comment from: LurkerWithout [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at August 30, 2008 7:09 AM

Hey, I wouldn't want to fight an Amish dude who'd given up pacifism. They're all like freakishly strong from raising barns and hefting cattle around and stuff...

Comment from: Doug Wykstra [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at August 30, 2008 4:11 PM

This isn't too bad, as far as pun setups go. If you want to see some truly insane pun setups, read the Pearls Before Swine Sunday strips. Stephan Pastis usually does at least one every month.

Comment from: no_relation [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at August 30, 2008 8:18 PM

I think half the joke is that it references the "Drivin' me NUTS!" joke. It's a level for the joke that's restricted for anyone who's heard the other version, but that, if the previous comments are any indication, is a pretty wide audience.

Comment from: William McDuff [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at September 15, 2008 3:26 AM

For some reason, I remembered the Daily Grind Iron Man Challenge today. Still going on, and this comic is one of the ten remaining challengers. Are you still reading all of the challenger's comics, Eric?