« Moments in Time: two two-day blocks. So, four days, more or less. | Main | Life can be wonderful sometimes. »

Eric: I know, the thought I may have written more than is required will *shock* you all....

On Friday of last week, Wednesday and I had our interview at the United States Consulate in Montreal -- the last step in the long, long, ever so long process of getting our K-1 Visa approved so Wednesday can move to this country and the two of us can be married.

A friend of mine asked me if they asked us weird questions at the interview. You know, "what color is her kitchen" or "what side of the bed do you sleep on," with a view to proving whether or not we're a real couple or if this was a year long, expensive fraud we were perpetuating on the government.

To answer: no, they did not. This may be because when they asked us the first question, "how did you two meet," we talked and giggled for about ten minutes as we went through the long process, explaining Websnark along the way, with a diversion here or there -- I think it was safe to say we were able to establish ourselves early on as 'actually a couple.'

However, the interviewer seemed to know that when we walked in, as he grinned and said "I'm feeling jaunty today. What say we go from the end and work our way back?" In my time, I have never known a civil servant to feel jaunty whilst rejecting someone, so we had some hope at that point.

On reflection, it may have been my statement of intent to marry.

You see, I had to provide a letter, stating definitively that I intended to marry Wednesday. This is a very specific requirement.

So... I did.

But you have to remember... this is me.

I reproduce the letter here.

To Whom it May Concern:

On January 13, 2007, at approximately 3:00 in the afternoon, I proposed to Wednesday White at the 2007 Arisia convention in Cambridge, Massachusetts in the United States of America. At the same time as I presented my formal proposal to Ms. White, it was also automatically posted to Websnark, a popular commentary blog I created and which we both have written for. The online version, and the movie of the cartoon I had friends put together for me to formally propose to Ms. White, can be found at http://www.websnark.com/archives/2007/01/submitted_witho_1.html, and a copy of the post and the (literally) hundreds of comments wishing us well are included.

After the post, we retained legal counsel and began the process of bringing Ms. White to America so that we can be married. A process which is finally (hopefully) close to complete, which has both of us excited and happy.

Please let me be clear. Assuming that our Visa is approved, it is both my intent and my honor to marry Wednesday White. Our tentative plan, assuming all goes well, is to be married in June of 2008, well within the 90 day window required by the K-1 Visa. I am gainfully employed (the day I wrote this letter was my tenth anniversary at this workplace, in fact) at [my workplace], with full benefits including paid room and board to live on campus. Ms. White will be provided for while we find her work in America, and then we plan to spend the next several decades providing for each other jointly.

I am marrying Ms. White because I love her, because I want to spend my life with her, and because I want her to live with me, in the United States of America, the land of my birth. I look forward to your assistance in facilitating this process to the best of your ability.

Thank you for your consideration. If you have any questions at all, please feel free to contact me at the above address, e-mail address or telephone number.

Sincerely,

Eric Alfred Burns
Wolfeboro, New Hampshire

The first person we saw -- the one who collected our paperwork and took Weds's fingerprints -- looked at me and said "I still intend to marry Ms. White" would have been sufficient.

Oh.

They also said "yes."

Within the month, Wednesday will live with me, and then we elope.

We won.

Posted by Eric Burns-White at April 21, 2008 1:55 PM

Comments

Comment from: Will "Scifantasy" Frank [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 21, 2008 2:13 PM

Congratulations!

Comment from: Adam [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 21, 2008 2:13 PM

Hey, very best wishes.

I'm glad it all went so smoothly. You probably made that guy's week. ;-)

Comment from: MasonK [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 21, 2008 2:30 PM

After all this, actually getting married will be anticlimactic, I expect.

Comment from: Burning [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 21, 2008 2:34 PM

Excellent! Congratulations on the triumph of true love over bureaucracy.

Comment from: Danalog [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 21, 2008 3:10 PM

Congrats!!

Comment from: Danalog [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 21, 2008 3:12 PM

Congrats on finally getting your dream woman legalized =)

Comment from: Plaid Phantom [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 21, 2008 3:36 PM

Aw. I was kinda looking forward to reading a tale of international espionage as you sneak her across the border, finding new identities for both of you before being boxed in by INS officials in a run-down motel on I-40 halfway between Albuquerque and Grants, NM.

But then, I doubt police reports and "breaking news" clips would have the same low-key conversational style as Eric, so I guess this works too. Congratulations. :)

Comment from: LurkerWithout [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 21, 2008 3:50 PM

Victory!

Comment from: PerfessorEvil [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 21, 2008 4:12 PM

Woohoo!
I'm guessing you two will be just a *tad* bit too busy to do Baycon this year. LOL

Comment from: BZArcher [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 21, 2008 4:25 PM

Congratulations again!

So where do we send cards, flowers, gifts, cakes, and suchlike to?

Comment from: Eric Burns [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 21, 2008 4:40 PM

Baycon's a "no" this year. Maybe next year. :)

As for where to send things? Well, we are beginning to work on the registry, though it will take time before it's really shaped up.

Comment from: PatMan [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 21, 2008 5:08 PM

Hurray for verbosity!

Comment from: quiller [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 21, 2008 5:46 PM

Congratulations on traversing the maze, it sounds like you find the cheese at the end well worth it.

Comment from: Elizabeth McCoy [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 21, 2008 6:14 PM

WOO! And, really, something might have been "sufficient," but that letter goes quite into the realm of Excellent. O:D
Have fun, you two.

Comment from: Aulayan [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 21, 2008 7:09 PM

Now this? This is awesome news. Despite not knowing you guys, it completely brightened up my day! Congrats! I'm glad to see bureaucracy -working-....albeit slowly.

Comment from: kirabug [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 21, 2008 8:55 PM

Totally awesome! Congratulations! One more checkmark on the list;

Comment from: Paul Gadzikowski [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 21, 2008 10:05 PM

How many different ways are there to say it? Best wishes and felicitations.

Comment from: McMartin [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 21, 2008 10:22 PM

In the immortal words of Zork and its successors:

* * * You have won * * *

Comment from: Tangent [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 21, 2008 10:31 PM

'gratz, you two.

Comment from: Prodigal [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 21, 2008 10:50 PM

My most heartfelt congratulations to the two of you. :)

Comment from: seasleepy [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 21, 2008 10:54 PM

Congratulations to both of you! Getting on the same side of the border permanently is wonderful stuff.
(I just got The Approval Letter myself, going the opposite direction of Weds. It's very good to no longer just be "visiting" the one you love.)

Comment from: Skye [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 22, 2008 12:07 AM

Oh yay!! *applauds* I actually came to this site when Rich Burlew linked to the proposal, and I was quickly addicted to Eric's brilliant writing style (although I must admit that I usually prefer the "slice of life" writing to anything about comics). In any case: congrats!! It's about time!

Comment from: Dave Van Domelen [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 22, 2008 12:23 AM

Gotta feel sorry for the next people in line, who probably DIDN'T have a multimedia presentation to back them up. ;)

Comment from: 32_footsteps [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 22, 2008 12:29 AM

I know it was more a matter of patience, really, than actual difficulty...

But still, congrats on successfully getting past The Man (tm) and getting everything set for your upcoming nuptuals.

Comment from: Polychrome [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 22, 2008 1:16 AM

Huzzah!

Comment from: Meagen Image [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 22, 2008 6:18 AM

Eric/Wednesday is canon!

Comment from: Pseudowolf [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 22, 2008 9:16 AM

Awesome, Way To Go, & Congratulations!

Comment from: Symbolis [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 22, 2008 9:21 AM

Congratulations on your own resounding victory over The Man!

I'm still getting settled in, but it's been incredible to finally be able to be with the person I love.

We did the elopement, too. April 1st at a place called "Weddings R Us", no less.(That also does Buddhist weddings. Awesome!)

Don't know if you guys have come back across the border, yet, but when you're inside you should be able to pick up the "Change of Status" paperwork there, if you don't have it, yet.(or you can just grab it online)

Congratulations to you both!

Comment from: alschroeder [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 22, 2008 10:43 AM

Having been married for 27 years (28 years this May) Let me just say....

Smartest thing I ever did.

Congratulations!---Al

Comment from: Kyle Rudy [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 22, 2008 11:20 AM

Congratulations! Nothing I can say can meaningfully add to the well-wishing, so I'll just append a quick disclaimer. "Eric/Wednesday is canon!" may never stop our Weds/Chex/Amber fanfics. Sorry, Eric.

Comment from: Dave Van Domelen [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 22, 2008 11:46 AM

Adipose Ninja fic!

Comment from: Andrew Grilz [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 22, 2008 1:02 PM

Wah hoo!

Mazel Tov. Hugs and kisses to you both.

Comment from: Ben Brown [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 22, 2008 1:03 PM

Congratulations on getting all of the paperwork over with.

Now you can go back to snuggling full-time.

Comment from: Andrew [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 22, 2008 5:15 PM

There's nothing wrong with a little overkill when it comes to these things. And I'm glad to see you are planning to elope.

We're going need to have a webcomic style wedding, methinks. Artists can draw up one aspect of the whole wedding from bachelor/bachelorette parties to the throwing of the rice onto the blissful couple as they spend their honeymoon in sunny Hawaii, or wherever they end up going. (And seriously, if anyone deserves a long honeymoon, it's you two.)

Comment from: Axonite [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 22, 2008 7:51 PM

Congratulations!

Comment from: DaiDoc [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 22, 2008 9:34 PM

Ahem.

Dudes!

Hoopla is definitely in order.

Comment from: GG [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 23, 2008 9:42 AM

I'll add my voice to the chorus of congratulations, both on the impending nuptials and for successfully winning at bureaucracy.

Comment from: GG [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 23, 2008 9:44 AM

Addendum: "successfully winning"? Ugh. Wake up, THEN post. Please disregard the "successfully."

Comment from: baf [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 24, 2008 2:42 AM

"Pyrrhic victory." That's what they call it when you win unsuccessfully.

Comment from: Ben Gordon [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 25, 2008 10:37 AM

What a terrific story. I've had friends go through this and you seem to have come out rather well. I am quite happy for you that you escaped an ordeal, though the wedding news is of course delightful.

Do you know me? I enjoy your blog, and write about web comics at http://floatinglightbulb.blogspot.com/

We'll all be looking for some wedding pictures.

I am very happy for you both. Thank you for sharing this account, and keep up the good work. I married a comics artist, and comics people make good couples. (See http://scratchinpost.synthasite.com/ and http://redmenace.synthasite.com/ ).

Best wishes from my clan to yours.

Ben Gordon

Comment from: siwangmu [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 25, 2008 8:23 PM

(1) Thanks for the insane anxiety I had all last Saturday when I had to go into work having only read part of the post before this and couldn't find out whether/how okay you were until I got home (by which I mean, great post, I'm so glad you're alright)

(2) CONGRATULATIONS! ("They said 'yes.'" It's like you two proposed to the government)

Comment from: Denyer [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 26, 2008 4:47 PM

Sweet. Congrats on phase two!

Comment from: gwalla [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 28, 2008 12:45 AM

Wiigii!

Comment from: B. Durbin [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at May 3, 2008 10:55 PM

Congrats!

And just so you know, you can do wedding registries at such places as LEGO. They've cottoned on to the fact that couples who love those sorts of things are not uncommon.

Comment from: Steven E. Ehrbar [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at May 9, 2008 6:46 AM

They did make sure Weds signed a pledge not to burn down the White House, right? I mean, Canadians can be dangerous.

Comment from: Bobby Crosby [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at May 14, 2008 7:41 AM

Congratulations.

Comment from: Ghastly [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at May 22, 2008 10:21 AM

Congratulations. By golly, I'm a sucker for a sappy romance story.