« I swear to God, I'll stop talking about this. I mean, I don't even *buy* these comics any more. Ah well, here's one more. | Main | The post wherein I plug a thing for a guy. »

Eric: In My World: Superheroes

Here's an audience participation opportunity for you all. I don't do enough of these, really. Pass this around to your friends.

Down in the comments or where have you, complete the following phrase however you like:

"In my world, superheroes...."

with no ellipses afterward.

There are no wrong answers. You don't have to agree with other people. If you argue with someone about their entries, you're missing the point. See, superheroes aren't real, except in our imaginations. So in your world, this is how they are.

You can have as many entries as you like.

Here's some for me, just to get the ball rolling.

• In my world, superheroes put the emphasis on 'heroes' instead of 'super.'
  • In my world, superheroes try to do the right thing just because it's the right thing.
  • In my world, superheroes don't kill unless there's no other choice, and if there is no other choice they're bothered about it for a while afterward.
  • In my world, superheroes are as often women as men.
  • In my world, superheroes are considered good things.
  • In my world, superheroes sweat the small stuff.
  • In my world, superheroes belong to both liberals and conservatives, and a liberal superhero and a conservative superhero might disagree about who they'd vote for in an election but they agree on fighting evil.
  • In my world, superheroes feel badly if they accidentally fight another superhero.
  • In my world, superheroes are often flawed, but they work to correct their flaws.
  • In my world, superheroes respect the law and authority, even if they have to work outside them.
  • In my world, superheroes consider corruption abhorrent.
  • In my world, superheroes keep their word.
  • In my world, superheroes spend as much time helping people as they do fighting crime.
  • In my world, superheroes get their powers from silly little accidents and no one worries too much about how ridiculous it sounds.
  • In my world, superheroes might annoy the occasional (often jealous or corrupt) cop or city councilman, but on the whole the police and government are glad to have their help.
  • In my world, superheroes worry about innocents.
  • In my world, superheroes sometimes die, and that's never a small or insignificant thing.
  • In my world, superheroes are people, too.

That's my world. What's yours?

Posted by Eric Burns-White at January 10, 2008 10:05 AM

Comments

Comment from: theliel [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 10, 2008 10:52 AM

In my world, superheroes sometimes loose, and then the villian finds out that winning is almost worse than loosing.
In my world, superheroes victories adn defeats cost both sides.
In my world, superheroes have rational goals and clearly predictable behavior. If you setup a situation it's pretty simple to predict a general response, even if it's not the "best" option.
In my world, superheroes enimes work the same way.
In my world, superheroes plans sometimes work. Sometimes Hulk just smashes and it WORKS.
corrilary, In my world, superheroes plan for failure, because plan A fails enough that plans b-z need to be cooking.
In my world, superheroes may be dicks, but they're still clearly Good Guys, and won't resort to Superman level of dickery. (Batman The Animated Series level of Dickery is ok though. Because it's My world)
In my world, superheroes do because they can, and if they don't, who's going to?
In my world, superheroes can have the same chracter flaws as villians, they just know how to Hold Thier Evil. (suppose that's the same as above)

Comment from: theliel [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 10, 2008 10:54 AM

also, back to back snarks!?!?!?!?!

yay.
now if only effworld will start up again...

Comment from: BZArcher [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 10, 2008 12:17 PM

In my world, superheroes don't have to be perfect, but part of why they are heroes is that they rise above their flaws.

In my world, superheroes don't sell each other out for convenience.

In my world, superheroes choose to be heroes, and all the other things, not because they are easy but because they are hard. (With apologies to JFK).

Comment from: Kail Panille [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 10, 2008 12:25 PM

In my world, superheroes have a really hard time coming up with cool names.

Comment from: Ben Brown [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 10, 2008 1:08 PM

I've got lots of worlds, not all of which obey the same rules.

In my world, Superheroes are a lot like they are in Eric's world, but tend to get less involved in epic world-changing plots.

Comment from: Eric Burns [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 10, 2008 1:26 PM

Ben! Shoot me mail at websnark at symbol gmail dot symbol com -- I don't have a current address for you, and you asked me to talk about the continuing lurching of Superguy.

Comment from: KJToo [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 10, 2008 4:16 PM

In my world, superheroes do what they do because no one else can.

Comment from: Ross [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 10, 2008 4:21 PM

In my world, superheroes operate by the ethic, "You found it, you fix it."

Comment from: 32_footsteps [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 10, 2008 4:37 PM

In my world, superheroes are strong enough to walk away from post-modernism.

In my world, superheroes are shedding tears privately that they can't save everyone, but use that as motivation to help who they can.

In my world, superheroes believe "because it's right and fair" is reason enough.

In my world, superheroes hope, and inspire others to hope.

In my world, superheroes fight to make a world that they'd never belong in, because their power would lead to chaos. And they're aware of this.

In my world, superheroes know that not everyone gets a happy ending. But that doesn't make their stories any less precious.

Comment from: Plaid Phantom [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 10, 2008 4:40 PM

In my world, superheroes aren't about being awe-striking mythical beings, they're about being ordinary people using their abilities to help others.
In my world, superheroes help rebuild the buildings they demolish and things they break.
In my world, superheroes tend to give at least a passing regard to the laws of physics.

I think the CSS is broken on the preview page. Something is. :/

Comment from: kirabug [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 10, 2008 6:30 PM

In my world, superheroes look up to policemen and firemen.
In my world, superheroes are still allowed to be happy.
In my world, superheroes might fall in love with someone who's not a superhero and it might still work out... or it might not... but the person they're in love with isn't kidnapped by villains every third week.
In my world, superheroes always own either a dog or a cat... or maybe a rabbit.

Comment from: leons1701 [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 10, 2008 9:07 PM

In my world, superheroes don't always make bad fashion choices, just most of the time.

In my world, superheroes don't worry about silly things like the laws of physics. It's enough to give them a vague nod and a cheesy impossible workaround.

In my world, great power and great responsibility go hand in hand, and sometimes the hands aren't the right ones.

In my world, superheroes can loose. They can die. Sometimes, they even FAIL. But when they do, either they come back for more, or they inspire someone else to do it.

In my world, superheroes can disagree, argue, dislike each other and maybe even fight occasionally, but when the bad guys come calling, most differences get dropped even faster than the villains.

In my world, superheroes are defined more by who they are than what they can do.

Comment from: Kristopher Wooldridge [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 10, 2008 9:17 PM

In my world, superheroes hope that one day, they'll no longer be needed.

Comment from: GG [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 10, 2008 10:18 PM

In my world, superheroes run past purse snatchers because they stopped giving xp several levels ago... unless there's a badge involved. ;)

(Why, yes, I'm browsing the CoH forums in another tab. How'd you know?)

Comment from: Dave Van Domelen [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 10, 2008 11:33 PM

In my world, superheroes do what they must because they can.

In my world, superheroes are doing science.

In my world, superheroes are still alive.

Comment from: J. Channing Wells [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 11, 2008 8:47 AM

In my world, superheroes are terribly self-conscious and shy about what they do, but they do it anyway, because their need is greater than their shame.

In my world, superheroes have a dickens of a time coming up with a proper identity because the power-sets they're dealt don't always make a lot of sense.

In my world, superheroes have a certain measure of seething jealousy toward superspies, who get better suits and lots more sex than they do.

In my world, superheroes desperately hope that the little voices in their heads adamantly insisting that yes, this is the right thing to do aren't, y'know, wrong.

In my world, superheroes take their freak accidents, their weird quirks of birth and their strange discovered talents, and do not sit on them, but instead use them to make the world a better place for everyone, and you can hardly ask for more than that.

Comment from: Greg Fishbone [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 11, 2008 10:52 AM

My world of superheroes is a lot like Eric's, but...

In my world, superheroes do not expect to be rewarded for their actions--and are in fact criticized, blamed, or ignored as often as they are praised.

In my world, superheroes are physically, mentally, and psychologically unable to sit on the sidelines when there's evil to fight.

In my world, superheores often go up against seemingly impossible odds with only the faith that they will somehow figure out a solution before it's too late.

In my world, superheroes feel guilty that they can only ever solve a few of society's problems--and even then the solutions only ever last until the supervillains break out of jail again.

In my world, superheroes make sacrifices in their personal lives in order to help total strangers.

In my world, most people could never become true superheroes regardless of how many super powers they are able to pick up.

Comment from: Paul Gadzikowski [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 11, 2008 12:00 PM

• In my world, superheroes see themselves not as heroes but as supporting characters.
  • In my world, superheroes fail sometimes. Sometimes.
  • In my world, superheroes are triangle-shaped.

Comment from: Liliaeth [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 11, 2008 12:40 PM

-In my world, if a superhero dies, you have his or her death matter, you show it the proper respect, you show other people mourning that heroes death and you don't bring them back unless you have a good way to do so and their return actually matters to the world they're in.

-In my world superheroes are needed and if they weren't there, the world would be worse off, crime rates would rise and people would suffer because of it. The people might not always realize it, but superheroes matter and make the world better by being in it.

-In my world heroes are people who try to do the right thing, wether they have powers or not

-In my world cops are not the enemy, except in rare situations

-In my world training for superheroes is a good thing

-In my world heroes save lives, not just from crime, but from natural disasters, fires and other accidents.

-In my world heroes save kittens from trees and don't think that stopping purse snatchers is beneath them.

-In my world heroes defend the weakest of society, and value each life regardless of age, wealth (or lack of such same) and or social class.

-In my world heroes fight to protect other people, not just to protect themselves.

-In my world villains can become heroes if they are willing to redeem themselves and won't just randomly go back to evil just because some writer thinks they were cooler before they switched sides.

Comment from: Glaser [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 11, 2008 1:32 PM

In my world, superheroes rarely last more than a couple of years. Because bad stuff happens.

In my world, superheroes are usually fly-by-night vigilantes rather than public celebrities.

In my world, superheroes are corruptable.

In my world, superheroes sometimes choose the lesser of two evils.

Comment from: Glaser [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 11, 2008 1:32 PM

In my world, superheroes are corruptable.

In my world, superheroes sometimes choose the lesser of two evils.

Comment from: alschroeder [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 11, 2008 2:31 PM

In my world, superheroes use try to be innovative and tread new ground.

In my world, superheroes awaken your sense of wonder...

...And in my world...so do their creators/chroniclers/editors.

Comment from: eben [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 11, 2008 2:48 PM

In my world, superheroes are.

Comment from: hobgad [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 11, 2008 3:02 PM

In my world, superheroes sometimes cause the coronoer fits, 'cause how the hell to you do a biopsy on corpse when an Acetylene torch won't pierce her armored skin?

In my world, superheroes sometimes have brain aneurisms while plonking a cute cape-chaser.

In my world, superheroes sometimes request to have their manager, publicist, and the-guy-in-charge-of-action-figure-franchise present when the police come over for a few questions.

Comment from: Eric Burns [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 11, 2008 3:20 PM

Okay, 'plonking' has just become one of my favorite euphemisms.

Comment from: FlyingFish [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 11, 2008 3:48 PM

*high-fives GG*

In my world, superheroes (that aren't newbies) realize that tights look silly, and most go out in something closer to what troops wear into combat.

In my world, superheroes come in all shapes and sizes, not just "musclebound beefcake" and "supermodel amazon."

In my world, superheroes don't need to bother with secret identities. Though some have to wear sunglasses on the street to avoid being chased by fans or paparazzi.

In my world, superheroes sometimes join the military, or the police, or the fire department, or they even become paramedics or service personnel if their superpowers lean that way. This does not make them less heroic in any fashion.

In my world, superheroes are often dragged into their roles kicking and screaming, but when all is said and done, they never regret not becoming a data entry clerk instead.

Comment from: eben [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 11, 2008 4:53 PM

Oh I forgot one!

In my world, ROB LIEFELD IS LEGALLY PREVENTED FROM DRAWING ANY DAMN THING.

Comment from: MyrrDisparo [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 11, 2008 5:04 PM

In my world, superheroes read Kant. And they disagree.
In my world, superheroes read Watchmen. And they prefer V.
In my world, superheroes are held accountable for their deeds.
In my world, superheroes almost never exist.
In my world, assassins play the violin.
In my world, the doctor is IN

Comment from: happybdaygramma [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 11, 2008 5:08 PM

In my world, superheroes don't need to maintain a status quo so their stories can progress naturally and not have to reboot all the time.

In my world, superhero movie tie-ins to the comics don't happen unless they have to.

In my world, superheroes don't forget their marriages :*(

Comment from: MyrrDisparo [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 11, 2008 5:16 PM

Also, in my world, superheroes (and anyone else for that matter), LOATHE Hegel.
In my world, superheroes find it difficult to rhyme Hegel.

Comment from: Thomas Blight [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 12, 2008 8:24 PM

MyrrDisparo: In your world, superheroes listen to Kegel? (The conductor, not the doctor)

Comment from: vilious [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 14, 2008 11:29 AM

In my world, superheroes always give rise to supervillians, as the price of suppressing character flaws that would keep them from being heroes.

In my world, superheroes spend lots of time rounding up, counseling, and providing vocational guidance for people who are not quite good enough to be superheroes.

In my world, superheroes eventually become incapable of dying if they do not so choose.

In my world, superheroes eventually forget that there was a time that they were not exhausted, overwhelmed, and pushed to the edge of their abilities.

In my world, superheroes' stories as told in comic books have the same relationship to truth as celebrities' stories told in supermarket tabloids.

Comment from: vilious [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 14, 2008 11:32 AM

Comment from: Honi Soit [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 14, 2008 3:28 PM

In my world, superheroes are just another credit risk.

In my world, superheroes are what you call an 'apex predator species.'

I also like eben's submission. You could flip it:
In my world, superheroes are not.

Or you could say it Yoda style: "In my world, superheroes are. Hmmmm?"

Comment from: Andrew [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 14, 2008 7:28 PM

In my world, superheroes dating normal people wouldn't require either several story grandiose issues talking about it, or made into a semi-bad comedy movie. (Or, what appears to be a throughly bad drama featuring Samuel "I'm looking for a different kind of snake on a different kind of plane" L. Jackson.)

In my world, superheroes wouldn't have to have any physical weakness. Mental or moral flaws are far more fascinating to delve into.

In my world, superheroes can get into humorous situations.

In my world, superheroes don't fight against God, or a pantheon of Gods. They work along side with the Gods.

In my world, supervillians aren't evil because they are, it's because they think they aren't evil.

In my world, supervillians can become superheroes. They also can end up in bed with a superhero and both wonder, "What the hell were we drinking last night?" (Also, in my world, female superheroes aren't afraid of using their sexuality to thwart male superheroes.)

In my world, superheroes don't need no stinkin' academies! (They do need side-kicks though. And sometimes, they end up marrying their side-kicks.)

Comment from: 32_footsteps [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 14, 2008 11:00 PM

You know, maybe this is a huge downer to bring up, but maybe a better question is, how do you finish the sentence, "In my world, heroes..." Because I think in some ways, the things we look to as heroic in real life dictate what we look for in stories about superheroes.

Comment from: Kaychsea [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 16, 2008 8:45 AM

In my world, Superheroes!

Comment from: Kaychsea [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 16, 2008 9:51 AM

And

In my world, Superheroes drive up insurance premiums

Comment from: MyrrDisparo [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 16, 2008 9:57 AM

You know, Mr. Blight? It's not impossible.

Comment from: Dagrim [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 16, 2008 1:00 PM

In my world, superheroes are drawn in 4 colours.

Comment from: djcoffman [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 17, 2008 11:18 AM

In my world, superheroes don't make deals with the devil.

In my world, superheroes are worth believing in.

Comment from: baf [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 17, 2008 1:45 PM

In my world, Superheroes is a chain of sandwich shops. I think they call it Subway in your world, but in my world that word was already used for underground rail transport.

Comment from: Whatkin [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 19, 2008 2:32 PM

In my world, Superheros don't offhandedly slaughter, maim or mangle mooks.

Comment from: Kris@WLP [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 19, 2008 6:05 PM

In my world, superheroes REALLY enjoy their work.
In my world, superheroes aren't afraid to get their hands dirty.
In my world, superheroes are highly controversial.

(OK, those were obligatory.)

In my world, superheroes often lose even when they win.

In my world, superheroes and supervillains are often not all that different.

In my world, superheroes are taken for granted.

In my world, superheroes have moral lines which they may blur, but which they never actually cross.

And finally...

In my world, superheroes are sometimes their own worst enemy.

Comment from: Kris@WLP [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 19, 2008 6:13 PM

... in my world, superheroes don't get their comments eaten by damn kludgy blog apps.

Comment from: octochan [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 21, 2008 12:33 AM

In my world, superheroes have to do their taxes, pay their credit card bills, and write funding applications, too.

Comment from: storiteller [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 21, 2008 1:11 PM

That reminds me of this wonderful strip by Randy Milholland: http://somethingpositive.net/sp01022008.shtml

In my world, superheroes have families who love and support them despite their tough career choices. And sometimes have superpowers themselves. (Yes, I love the Incredibles.)

Comment from: Mushroom [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 22, 2008 5:39 PM

In my world, superheroes don't wear skintight costumes... either they're in something comfortable yet workable, or they're in average clothes. Only an invisible or animal character can go naked. :)

In my world, superheroes actually defeat bad guys for once and for all. I realize there'd be no story if The Joker stayed in jail, but in real life you only get one shot -- two if you're out on parole, three if Child Protective Services is involved.

In my world, superheroes say "damn, I could go for a burger right now" or "pull over, I gotta take a whiz."

In my world, superheroes and especially supervillans do not have eccentricities that make them stick out. They may be different, but not Penguin and Joker different. (Someone brought that up years ago in regard to Dick Tracy's foes -- he was handsome, they were all misshapen.)

Comment from: tim_servo [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 22, 2008 10:16 PM

I have a slightly more pessimistic view of superheroes, because I know *I* wouldn't be up to Superman or Spider-man's standards. So anyway ...

In my world, superheroes are people, too, for better or worse.
In my world, superheroes aren't always pretty.
In my world, superheroes don't always wear costumes.
In my world, superheroes make mistakes. Whether they learn from them is a different matter altogether.
In my world, superheroes have agents.
In my world, superheroes are more violent than most people, because, shit, with great power comes the ability to FOLD PEOPLE IN HALF.
In my world, superheroes can be motivated by fame and fortune, or even religion or politics.
In my world, superheroes aren't always heroes.
In my world, superheroes are the subject of many international treaties.
In my world, superheroes have been around for a good, long while, but have only started calling themselves "superheroes" since World War II. There's also a lot more of them nowadays than there were back then.
In my world, superheroes are technically vigilantes, but who the hell's going to stop them?
In my world, superheroes aren't all that powerful, on the whole.
In my world, superheroes can be sued. Good luck getting Captain McAwesome to make his court date, however.
In my world, superheroes who *do* wear costumes, *are* attractive, *have* showy powers, and *do* fight for ideals are the ones to watch out for, because it's not pretty when they snap.

Comment from: Honi Soit [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 22, 2008 11:44 PM

In my world, superheroes are neither super, heroes, nor an empire. Discuss!

Comment from: Robin Lionheart [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 23, 2008 12:46 AM

In my world, superheros inspire heroes, and do not obviate the need for the rest of us to find heroism within ourselves.

Comment from: sun tzu [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 23, 2008 8:21 AM

In my world, superheroes operate under the same moral standards as normal people and the police.
In my world, superheroes win more often than not...but not always. And when they lose, the world pays the price.
In my world, superheroes don't have to worry too much about secret identities...because any supervillain who tries to target their family can count on all the superheroes in the State ganging up on him within the hour.
In my world, superheroes have consistent power levels.
In my world, superheroes more capable and professional with time and experience.
In my world, superheroes range from the genuinely saintly paragons of virtue to the unheroic opportunists. The latter are far from the rule, though.

Comment from: aaronbourque [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 23, 2008 11:36 PM

In my world, superheroes are looked up to and emulated as much as normals can. And where they can't, you often find supervillains.
In my world, superheroes are as often silly as serious, and often both at the same time.
In my world, superheroes don't kill, as a general rule. But they can, and rules are made to be broken, right?
In my world, superheroes are finite. So are supervillains, but there are still more of them.
In my world superheroes smile smiles of genuine joy. Infectuous smiles.
In my world, superheroes are still people. And they are differences between superheroes and superpeople. Just because someone has powers doesn't mean he or she is a hero or a villain.
In my world, superheroes are.

Comment from: AJLindburgh [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 24, 2008 8:35 AM

In my world, superheroes don't exist because I live in the real world. You all need serious medical help.

In my world, if superheroes DID exist, it would be exactly like the Incredibles because these idiots make themselves targets for every nutjob in the world and all it really does is get innocent people killed and they'd all get sued into the Stone Age anyway - which is why there are no superheroes in my world.

Comment from: AJLindburgh [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 24, 2008 8:38 AM

In my world, superheroes would read the previous posts thoroughly to avoid duplicating other people's answers, in part or in full.

Comment from: B. Durbin [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 26, 2008 5:13 PM

My world is apparently Flying Fish's world.

Good to have you around, FF.

Comment from: larksilver [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at February 5, 2008 1:09 PM

In my world, superheroes are embarrassed when they're called heroes at all.

In my world, superheroes seek not fame, or fortune, or glory, but rather, dream of a day when they can hang up their cape and get a life.

Actually, my world looks like a lot of the worlds posted above.. except for scarfman's triangles...

Comment from: mckenzee [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at February 18, 2008 5:47 PM

In my world, superheroes have pockets.