« Apropos of nothing, I'd kind of like one of those turtles. | Main | The road falls away »

Eric: Son of MONG-- er, eBay.

Hey hi!

We're coming up on auction end for the first round of Eric's a Dumbass eBay Fun. We have lots of stuff still inexpensive, and other stuff going higher than might have been anticipated. In particular, TransHuman Space is going for just under sixteen and Gehenna's going for thirty-one.

What I find amusing through it all is that all of the "How to Draw Manga" books are going except the ones on drawing chicks. Apparently, people are more interested in learning storytelling and general techniques than hot chick techniques. And there's nothing wrong with that.

Folks who check in will also note that there are two new auctions up and generating interest -- the rare (and often expensive) Traveller20 (T20) d20 Hardback, and the less rare but extremely cool Victorian Age: Vampire Companion. And we have some other things on the table for going up over the weekend and into next week. Possibly a lot of other things -- the preliminary estimate on my car's "check engine" light going off is fifteen hundred bucks. On the other hand, we're going to get several second opinions, and doing some diligence on the potential cost of repairs is already dropping it by a lot.

Otherwise... things are going well. Weds is here. Life is good. Thank you all!

Posted by Eric Burns-White at April 6, 2007 4:12 PM

Comments

Comment from: Tephlon [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 6, 2007 4:28 PM

I think the lack of interest in buying the How to draw manga chicks books might also be related with the fact that that is the first one most people (guys) buy.

And just to illustrate my sad life, the first one I acquired was the "How to draw manga robots"-book.

Comment from: Misha [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 6, 2007 5:01 PM

Well, actually, I was GOING to bid on them, but money problems and all. Meh. I figured of the books that were up there, it was more important to get the basics handled first. THEN the drawing of the hot females.

Everybody's gotta have priorities.

(Also, if they don't sell in this auction, talk to me in a week or two...)

Comment from: kirabug [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 6, 2007 8:14 PM

Dangit, all the manga books are going for over $5 now - good plug! ;) I need a book on drawing breasts right. Apparently having a set isn't the answer, specially when you're trying to draw skinny chicks and you're not one yourself.

Glad to see that your cleanout is netting you dollars. You'll likely need the space after the impending nuptuals anyway.

Are there more drawing books to be in round 2?

Comment from: Eric Burns [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 6, 2007 9:25 PM

Kira -- both the skinny chick books are still unbid-upon. You could still put in five bucks on one of them if you really want.

There are indeed more drawing books on the horizon.

Comment from: 32_footsteps [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 7, 2007 10:58 AM

Heh, I just gave up on being able to draw ages ago. I didn't even bother picking up any "How To Draw Breasty Women" books.

Though how is Gehenna going for that much? Everyone I know who read the book hated it.

Comment from: Alexandra Erin [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 7, 2007 6:16 PM

I'd imagine the people who are bidding don't actually have a copy in their possession.

Comment from: Tom Lynch [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 7, 2007 7:07 PM

Personally, I liked half of Gehenna.

That sounds critical, but it's four different world-ends, of which I liked two.

(And the other two have had ideas shamelessly pilfered from them, as with all my gaming products.)

Comment from: Alexandra Erin [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 8, 2007 8:08 AM

What were they... bang, whimper, fire, and ice? :P

Comment from: Tom Lynch [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 8, 2007 10:34 AM

Heh. Close enough, in its way - subtle fading-of-vampires-from-the-world, two flavours of unsubtle death to vampires, one flavour of unsubtle death to everyone.

A cornerstone of that last is the PCs emerging from a battle in New York to see themselves on CNN feed using their disciplines, and then accosted by news reporters. I reached that point and visualised a regular player of that time looking the reporter straight in the eye, pointing over her shoulder, and yelling "Look, a three-headed monkey!" before running like a crazy person.

'Twas fun.

Comment from: Canuck-Errant [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 8, 2007 7:02 PM

In unrelated news, it seems Todd Goliath - you know, the guy with the "Boys are stupid, throw rocks at them" t-shirts? - was plagiarising from David Kelly, of Purple Pussy fame. Y'might want to look into that, Eric, it's making for some controversy right now - top article in Digg's "Entertainment" section.

Comment from: JackSlack [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 8, 2007 7:42 PM

FWIW, I thought Gehenna had one absolutely brilliant scenario (Wormwood, which was the 'subtle' death mentioned before) and one halfway decent one (Crucible of God, which was the 'OMG it's the apocalypse' death for everyone). The other two were goofy and fanboyish crud in reverse order.

But Wormwood is seriously, seriously brilliant. It's everything Vampire should have been. It's entirely hinged on moral issues. It's biblical in all the right ways. It uses a constant small group of NPCs as its entire supporting cast. It's more akin to a stage play in structure than the usual blockbuster film approach of most scenarios.

In short, it's the best damned scenario in that game line's history. When Justin Achilli stepped down, I was very sorry to hear that author wouldn't be taking over. (I think his name is Chris Kobar, but I'm fuzzy.)

Comment from: Pseudowolf [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 9, 2007 12:31 PM

Aside from the Todd Goliath (or Todd Goldman. I've seen him called both) news, there is the news I just heard about Johnny Hart (of B.C. & The Wizard of Id) who died at his storyboard on Saturday at age 76.

Comment from: Doug Wykstra [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 9, 2007 11:47 PM

Jonny Hart wrote the Wizard of Id, too? As much as I enjoyed his work as a kid, and respect what he brought to comics, I can't help but hope this will clear up some newspaper space for other comic talents.

Comment from: kirabug [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 9, 2007 11:55 PM

Gah, first I looked through them, now I missed them altogether! I'm a moron! If you're still interested in selling them, Eric, and don't want to repost them on the auction, drop me a line at mydomain at mydomain dot com... thanx :)

this is what i get for spreading myself too thin on the internet.

Comment from: miyaa [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 10, 2007 5:12 PM

Well, 32, Gehenna is about hell. You shouldn't be surprised no one likes it.

I'm sure there is such a book, but if not, there needs to be a "So the end of the world is happening and you're lucky enough to get to one of those top-secret government bunker shelters. Now what?" theme books.

I'm surprised there's not a Mad Max RPG. (And yes, can we please get beyond thunderdome?)

Comment from: Megalomaniac2 [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 11, 2007 10:20 PM

I'm surprised Eric hasn't posted about Goliath already, although by no means disappointed. Everyone on the Internet has already been frothing at the mouth about it for a while now, and it's getting old.

Me, I'd like to see some Sluggy Freelance analysis. Aylee's been back for a while (Godzilla-sized, no less), and some interesting stuff's happening.

Comment from: Megalomaniac2 [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 12, 2007 12:11 AM

I'm surprised too that Eric hasn't posted yet about the Goliath fiasco, but I don't mind at all. The entire Internet has been frothing at the mouth about it for a while now, and it's getting old.

I'd prefer a Sluggy Freelance post, myself. Aylee's come back Godzilla-sized and some very interesting things are happening there.

Comment from: siwangmu [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 14, 2007 4:17 AM

I just ran into an article that I felt like sharing with some other people who might get mad with me, and this would be the place to find those people...

The early mention is somewhat innocent... "Meet Monet, the cartoonist. Few art sleuths would recognize the master's hand in the caricatures that he was dishing out at age 15 or 16 to earn money."

A bit later: "How Monet made his transition from a hack cartoonist to a brilliant artist is not known."

I could put all this down innocently, if they only meant that his cartoons sucked and his art ended up being good, but the title for the "multimedia" link (to see the pictures in question) is "Monet's rise from cartoonist to artist."

Kind of irritating. (The author also hates impressionism, but I have no particular opinion on it so I'm not coming to its particular defense)

Comment from: Sean Duggan [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 15, 2007 7:28 PM

Guess again... he left a computer full of finished strips and when Schulz died, Hart stated that he wanted the strip to continue after his death. According to various obituaries and tribute articles, his family has been helping him produce the strip for years now, so it will probably be a fairly seamless transition.

Comment from: Alexandra Erin [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 16, 2007 7:54 AM

Maybe the reason there's so few posts is that it gives us the opportunity to comment on these things as they happen, instead of simply reacting when Eric does.

Could this be the start of Websnark 2.0?