« I will admit some temptation to make a joke about "having the nuts" here. | Main | Please remember to take off your little shoes before *gingerly* stepping into our ball-pit.... »

Eric: We are not just flesh and blood. We are... *stardust.*

I do not, as a matter of course, post Youtube videos onto Websnark. This isn't dogmatic. It's just not what I do. You know. As a matter of course.

In fact, up until now, I have never -- to my recollection -- posted a Youtube video onto Websnark.

Today, that must change. Today, I have seen....

...well, this first came to my attention thanks to the agency of one "R. Milholland," who has a certain degree of notoriety for his expertise on the life of Ed Gein. And M. Milholland has always believed in adding a little extra magic to all of our lives. And having seen this... I have to pass it on to you.

Ladies and gentlemen. I give you an Adrian Molina production. This is... Unicorn vs. Narwhal.

Posted by Eric Burns-White at March 9, 2007 11:01 AM

Comments

Comment from: Robotech_Master [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at March 9, 2007 12:40 PM

Wow.

Just...wow.

Comment from: Grayson Towler [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at March 9, 2007 1:12 PM

That was monumentally awesome.

Comment from: JoeFF85 [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at March 9, 2007 1:41 PM

My roommate complains that there wasn't nearly enough unicorns or narwhals, and that it was all a thinly veiled love story. He declares it no bueno.

I on the other hand think it was extremely bueno.

Comment from: Ford Dent [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at March 9, 2007 1:44 PM

This is one of the more amazing videos to be found, well, anywhere.

Comment from: Elizabeth McCoy [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at March 9, 2007 1:48 PM

I declare it YouTube braincrack, m'self...

Comment from: Daven [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at March 9, 2007 1:52 PM

Oh wow... that's just one of the best things I have ever seen. I know a few fluffies that need to watch it.

Comment from: Sempiternity [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at March 9, 2007 2:49 PM

awesome. >_>

Comment from: Doug Wykstra [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at March 9, 2007 3:56 PM

That's great- like a more adult version of the Adventure Time video that's circulating the web.

Comment from: Kate Sith [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at March 9, 2007 5:11 PM

that was FANTASTIC.

Comment from: miyaa [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at March 9, 2007 6:05 PM

I'm getting a flashback to a certain webcomic's livejournal thread about unicorns, sex, and physics and maybe something about Schrödinger's cat having a seizure. But not necessarily in that order.

Comment from: kirabug [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at March 9, 2007 6:08 PM

Way Nifty.

Comment from: Wednesday White [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at March 9, 2007 6:28 PM

Is it bad that the only thing about it which impressed me much was the name?

Comment from: 32_footsteps [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at March 9, 2007 6:32 PM

I liked the end - that was a great move. Though the rest wasn't as inspired.

Also, was I the only one reminded of Kim Possible? In the art style, at least?

Comment from: LurkerWithout [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at March 9, 2007 7:05 PM

The entire history of the Internet has been leading to this moment. And it was totally worth it...

Comment from: Paul Gadzikowski [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at March 9, 2007 8:56 PM

Is it bad that the only thing about it which impressed me much was the name?

It didn't really live up to the name, did it? Even after the Dragon Princess was distracted, the Age-Old Bitter Enemies continued to be caught in the spell of her Wise Words of Peace. It'd've fit the mood of the piece better, I feel, if they'd wiped each other out and left the sky free for the Cloud Trains.

Comment from: Dave Van Domelen [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at March 9, 2007 9:14 PM

Very SpumCo.

Comment from: Archon Divinus [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at March 10, 2007 1:19 AM

That was undeniably awesome.

And now that you mention it 32, I kinda see it too.

Comment from: Archon Divinus [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at March 10, 2007 1:21 AM

That was undeniably awesome.

And now that you mention it 32, I see it too.

Comment from: Wednesday White [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at March 10, 2007 3:33 AM

It didn't really live up to the name, did it?

Naw, there was plenty of Unicorn vs. Narwahl. I just... I've got dozens of clever penciltest and storyboard sequences around. I collect that shit. I like them because they're not ends in themselves.

I'd like to see this when it's done.

Comment from: Paul Gadzikowski [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at March 10, 2007 7:51 PM

I'd like to see this when it's done.

Yeah, I thought that too, but it was second in my mind to the other thing.

Comment from: Grayson Towler [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at March 10, 2007 9:44 PM

This is a spoof done with a smile rather than a sneer.

Fans who enjoy stories like this "Unicorn vs. Narwhal" was spoofing can enjoy the animation, because it was done with affection. Much like Galaxy Quest -- that was a Trek spoof, but made with obvious love for Trek and its fandom. You could take a different approach and make a spoof with contempt for its source material (like a typical Mad magazine lampoon).

Personally, I find those sorts of things tiresome. I don't need to see a mean-spirited spoof of something I don't like (say, soap operas). Ultimately, I feel such lampoons are designed to make me feel smug and superior towards people who do like the original stuff, and I don't care to fuel that particular emotion.

I like the ending of "Unicorn vs. Narwhal" just fine the way it is.

Comment from: Scarybug [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at March 10, 2007 10:26 PM

That was awesome.

It was no "Charlie the Unicorn", though. It needs a liopleurodon.

Comment from: Matt Buchwald [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at March 11, 2007 10:33 AM

That was at least seven kinds of awesome.

Comment from: Ununnilium [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at March 11, 2007 8:49 PM

"I differ with this assessment. I think the ending not only fit the "mood of the piece," it defined it."

I agree. Think about it: Which is funnier, unicorns and narwhals fighting, or unicorns and narwhals boogieing down?