« For all the fifteen year olds out there? Yes, you can summon succubi in the game. Yeesh | Main | I think Jim Breuer starred in that movie. You know. *That* movie. »

Eric: Dude. It's a ZOMBIE ROLE PLAYING GAME.

We are at thirteen hours before the end of the Websnark Edition Sidewinder auction. That's a very cool thing. Soon, it will be over, and someone will have a copy of my game Sidewinder, personalized at their request, signed by me and featuring -- as you'll recall -- a terrible drawing of Snarky wearing a cowboy hat. With hopes it will look cute.

The rest of the Extravaganza has ended, and it has been successful. As said before, I'm going to shoot for more of a comfort level, to try and make sure we don't have a repeat of the conditions which led us here in the first place, which means some more auctions, if anyone is interested in checking them out. That means cheerful auction page goodness for you all! We've got five auctions for today, and we'll have a few more tomorrow.

Highlights include DragonQuest 3rd edition -- this is one of the classics of RPG design and history (and is not a video game, Dragon Quest VII fans), which influenced the design of later games and still has a bunch of people who like it today. There's also the revised edition of All Flesh Must Be Eaten -- one of the best RPGs of the twenty first century, and perhaps the single greatest Zombie Role Playing Game of all time.

Admittedly, there isn't a lot of competition for that.

There's a couple of Star Fleet Battles supplements, for those of you who enjoy military Star Trek campaigns, and the recent Gamma World Player's Handbook (another Bruce Baugh connected product. You'll find I own a lot of things connected to Bruce, because Bruce is brilliant. Heck, he's even GM'd an All Flesh Must Be Eaten game for me. Go figure!)

Enjoy these things, good folks and feel free to bid early and often. As for me... I'm going to keep watching the Sidewinder auction. We're up to fifty dollars, which is at least forty-nine dollars more than my artistic talents is worth, but don't let that discourage you from what will certainly be... well, a unique thing.

Full on post-game wrapup from the Extravaganza tomorrow. The new auctions? Mm. I think we're calling those something else. Like "Eric's auctions" or something. Less targeted "I need money now" and more "I could sure use more money and don't know when I'm ever going to play Star Fleet Battles."

Thank you all.

Posted by Eric Burns-White at March 27, 2007 10:51 PM

Comments

Comment from: JCfromNC [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at March 28, 2007 12:26 AM

OT: IE is trying to warn me that this is a "suspicious website" - you might want to get that cleared up. I reported that I didn't believe it was true, fwiw.

Comment from: Copper Hamster [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at March 28, 2007 12:27 AM

Dragon Quest is a great little game. I played out of a copy of the second edition rule book iirc (the books had been out of print for several years before TSR published them).

Comment from: Eric Burns [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at March 28, 2007 12:29 AM

"Suspicious?" Huuuurm.

Comment from: 32_footsteps [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at March 28, 2007 1:17 AM

Dragon Quest 7 fans? Dude, I review video games, and even I don't know any Dragon Quest 7 fans.

I haven't played it myself, but I would highly recommend All Flesh Must Be Eaten. I think it's an unwritten rule that you should have at least one screwed up RPG somewhere in your collection.

For the record, mine's one called Panty Explosion.

Comment from: JSW [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at March 28, 2007 2:59 AM

Well, there are quite a few Dragon Quest 7 fans, but they're all in Japan since that's the only place where the game went by that name. The US version was called Dragon Warrior 7. It wasn't until Dragon Quest 8 (awesome game, btw) that they started referring to the series by its original name on our side of the pond.

Comment from: 32_footsteps [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at March 28, 2007 8:24 AM

JSW, they're all anal enough that if US fans of Dragon Quest 7 actually exist, they call it Dragon Quest 7 in the US, too. I just don't believe there are any in this country.

And hate to burst your bubble, but DQ8 is only awesome if you haven't played DQ3 or DQ4 before (and thus don't see where they repeat themselves for the entire freaking plot).

Comment from: Stan [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at March 28, 2007 9:19 AM

All Flesh is pretty good. Actually all of the Unisystem games are. I prefer the cinematic version of the system in Buffy/Angel but it's easy to mix in components of the different games. If you don't believe Eric and me how cool unisystem is, go to Eden Studios and download Witchcraft (by CJ Carella) for free.

We were listing them out one time and there are actually at least half a dozen zombie games.

The Bruce Baugh book has some good bits but it's not Gamma World. Omega World by Tweet, which appearred in Dungeon/Polyhedron is more true to the original.

Comment from: Eric Burns [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at March 28, 2007 9:58 AM

That's the nub of the criticisms of the book I mention in the listing. New fans who came to Gamma World for the first time with the Baugh developed book tended to really enjoy it. (This also included many fans who got one of the later editions of the original game.) Old school fans tended to... well, react exactly as Stan did.

Either way, it's a good product I'm happy to say nice things about, and leave it as an exercise to the reader whether or not it reflects Gamma World per se.

Comment from: Stan [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at March 28, 2007 10:12 AM

I don't regret getting the GW book from Half Price books and haven't gotten rid of it. It's easily worth $20-25.

Comment from: JSW [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at March 28, 2007 9:54 PM

I haven't played much of DW3, but I have played DW4 from start to finish and I thought it was awesome as well. I'm not through DW8 yet but I'm not seeing a whole lot of similarity between the two stories, but at any rate I'm not really playing the game for the main, overarching plot, since that's fairly basic at this point and has been since pretty much the beginning of the game. That's just there to provide an excuse for your party to travel from one town to the next and take part in all the little side-stories that really make up the meat of the game.

Comment from: 32_footsteps [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at March 28, 2007 11:15 PM

Well, DQ8 mostly copies DQ3's story up until the very end, when it decides to throw in huge chunks of DQ4's story as well.

I dunno... I just found the stories utterly predictable and flat. They unfolded exactly like I thought they would, and didn't bother with the kind of well-written pacing that would make such a story worth my while.

Comment from: oyun [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at February 28, 2009 10:57 AM