« My single favorite search query string *ever....* | Main | Of course, if Clango had just gone to Doc for his memory purge in the first place, we wouldn't be having this conversation, would we? »

Wednesday: Upgrade complete; enter when ready

[I WIN AT INTERNETS]Essential site maintenance was performed tonight. If all has gone properly, you should perceive nothing out of the ordinary (except possibly some extraneous entries on your RSS feed).

As we all know, nothing ever actually goes properly. Worlds collapse, goals fail, and no one loses those fifteen vanity pounds for more than like three weeks before they like pie again. Archie tries out that one thing with the new character designs, and a bunch of people who are really too damned old to care just lose it.

Also, long-overdue CMS engine upgrades have a habit of going slightly batshit.

The usual.

So, if something is actually breaking for you, we'd like to know. It's the only way we can keep things from operating in an expected fashion.

Use websnark (location identifier) gmail (full stop punctuation or decimal point) com if you prefer private communications, or comments are not working for you.

Please provide as much information about your browsing environment (browser, browser version, operating system, version of operating system, phase of moon, if you happen to be reading via feedreader/Livejournal/whatever) when offering up a feedback report, and try other browsers first if you can before making a report. The more information you can give us, the more readily and rapidly we can address a problem.

Thanks!

Posted by Wednesday Burns-White at January 5, 2007 3:03 AM

Comments

Comment from: Wednesday White [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 5, 2007 3:34 AM

Also, if you're using IE6 and you're getting "Sign In" over and over and over again, this is the workaround:

Go to Tools > Internet Options, then select the Privacy tab.
In the Settings area of the tab, click Sites.
In the Address of website field, type websnark.com and click Allow.
Click OK at the bottom of that dialogue box.
Click OK on the Privacy tab.

Comment from: Merus [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 5, 2007 3:58 AM

Aha! I knew there was a problem with signing in on computers other than my home one (which runs FF) but I didn't actually realise that it was IE6. Tip of the hat to Wednesday!

Comment from: Wednesday White [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 5, 2007 4:02 AM

IE7 with a virgin profile does not appear to replicate the problem. Security issues resolved and renderingengine vastly improved bla bla bla, if you can upgrade, do, &c.

Comment from: Bo Lindbergh [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 5, 2007 4:31 AM

If you can read this, my TypeKey cookies remained valid.

Comment from: ZorbaTHut [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 5, 2007 6:12 AM

Every single "next" link on entries (the one at the top) links to this entry. Perhaps not the desired goal. :) (Well, actually, the links for the Jan 1, 2, and 4 entries do. I didn't try others. I presume it's pretty consistent.)

Happens on both Firefox and IE, though I'd be astonished if that mattered.

Comment from: 32_footsteps [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 5, 2007 8:22 AM

Well, Opera 9.02 running on WinXP Media Edition seems to work just fine. Not that you stayed up worrying about what problems a few niche users and Wii owners had. But it's good from my end, at least.

Comment from: Christopher B. Wright [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 5, 2007 9:53 AM

The upgrade actually seems to have gone pretty smoothly -- hopefully by saying that I have not jinxed you.

I am currently migrating my site over from WordPress to Drupal. It's giving me fits. I've got everything set up on my laptop in the vain hope that I will be able to get the new template all ironed out and that I'll be able to just import the database in order to minimize the chaos. Still, I have visions of me standing in the middle of the broken ruin of my database server, staring blankly into space as drool streams down one corner of my mouth...

Comment from: 32_footsteps [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 5, 2007 9:59 AM

Further update - from my work computer running WinXP professional, IE6.I-don'tparticularly-care seems to run just fine as well.

Comment from: Will "Scifantasy" Frank [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 5, 2007 10:12 AM

No trouble from here (here being Firefox 2.0.0.1 on both WinXP and Gentoo Linux, since I've now checked from both work and home).

Comment from: Ford Dent [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 5, 2007 10:51 AM

No troubles here in my little corner of the world.

Comment from: Eric Burns [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 5, 2007 11:08 AM

Hrm. Found the weirdness with the individual archives. The dynamic link system seems 'unhappy.' Setting it to static pages seems to have temporarily fixed it, and I will let Weds know later this morning it is a Thing To Look At If We Care That Much.

Comment from: Rasselas [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 5, 2007 11:09 AM

Mammon be praised! At last I can comment. And yet, I have nothing to say.

Comment from: megs [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 5, 2007 12:22 PM

WOOO! Looks exactly the same to me, but I think that may be the point. NP with archives and navigating, signing in, tags, or anything else I've clicked on. Except my keyboard didn't seem to be working this morning and I hope that didn't freak you out. It's a bad keyboard. It does that.

Comment from: kirabug [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 5, 2007 9:29 PM

No problems so far :) thanks!

Comment from: kirabug [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 5, 2007 9:37 PM

Ahp, changed my mind. When on the next post (http://www.websnark.com/archives/2007/01/of_course_if_cl.html) and clicking the post after that ("Because Movable Type is Weird.... ยป"), I get:

Page Not Found
Page not found - /archives/2007/01/because_movable.html

Safari 2.0.4 (419.3) on Mac OS X 10.4.8, not using a bookmark, coming straight to websnark.com, in the livingroom on the laptop wishing i could afford whatever this thing is going to be when it's announced tuesday, or that somehow i'd find a spare cintiq lying around as a late xmas gift.

Comment from: Ununnilium [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 7, 2007 12:29 AM

Can I just say that's a spectacularly cute sketch of Weds?

Comment from: InkBlot [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 8, 2007 7:37 PM

I'm using Firefox 2.0 and have had WebSnark as a live bookmark (on the atom feed) for some time now. I'm not sure if it happened around the upgrade or before, but my livefeed doesn't seem to work now (on either the Atom or XML feed).

Comment from: cartoonlad [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 12, 2007 12:53 AM

The RSS feed appears to be broken (or at least whatever thing the livejournal websnark feed uses).