« The necropost for January 14: Star Harbor Nights | Main | So, how was *your* weekend? »

Eric: RSS and Atom happier, agree to reconcile with site.

Hey gang. Found what was causing us "trouble" on the ol' website's RSS and Atom feeds. I anticipate RSS readers becoming flooded with posts, momentarily.

In the background, I'm writing, including lots of catchup posts to fill in the missed days. When they go up, I'll post a "current" link to them as well, so that you know.

Dude.

Posted by Eric Burns-White at January 16, 2007 3:24 PM

Comments

Comment from: fjafjan [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 16, 2007 8:00 PM

I was just about to complain about the lack of update ;P

also, woo, first comment ^_^

Comment from: ecrane [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 16, 2007 10:37 PM

I think the lack of updates can be forgiven, due to certain.. other things being on Eric's mind.

Of course, if we let him off the hook this time, he might just start proposing to people every couple of months just to buy himself a break.

Comment from: Carina Kadow [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 17, 2007 2:54 AM

Now I just need to find the link to the RSS feed again - it's far more comfortable than reading the webpage...

Erh... *looks around confused* Where is it?

Say Eric, could you pretty-please add a link to the comments at the end of the feed? That would be REALLY comfortable. I know that's possible in wordpress, but I have no idea about Movable type...

Comment from: Wednesday White [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 17, 2007 3:21 PM

The links are already there, Carina. Scroll to bottom of excessive "LOOK LOOK ARCHIVES ARCHIVES HERE ARE WEEKLY ARCHIVES JESUS WEDNESDAY FINISH THIS REDESIGN" bit. :)

Comment from: Wednesday White [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 17, 2007 3:23 PM

Oh. And the comments. I can't read. Sorry.

Errr... I'll look into it, but the answer is probably no.

(I am not Eric, but this stuff is my job.)

Comment from: Paul Gadzikowski [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 17, 2007 3:36 PM

I am not Eric, but this stuff is my job.

I was wondering that: how did he program the delayed posting of the proposal snark without his webmistress finding out?

Comment from: Eric Burns [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 17, 2007 4:39 PM

Subterfuge. :)

Comment from: 32_footsteps [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 17, 2007 5:53 PM

I do recall that Eric mentioned that there's a third party that has the admin-level entry to Websnark. I'm going to guess that Eric left that post in their capable hands.

Comment from: Wednesday White [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 17, 2007 11:14 PM

Posts can be scheduled for the future in Movable Type. There are two approaches to this automation in the current version: triggering the post via one of the Atom feeds logging system activity, or (the deprecated approach, but also the more reliable one when done properly) the setting of a cron job.

Eric wanted this implemented for other reasons; I had no idea what else he would want to use it for. You will, of course, understand if I had other things to do this week than check on the queue once we had this working.

These features are amply documented in the Movable Type user's guide, and outlined extensively on Six Apart's website for the product.

Comment from: 32_footsteps [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 17, 2007 11:31 PM

It was a reasonable guess, at any rate.

Though I don't imagine things would have turned out much differently had you checked the queue ahead of time. You wouldn't have been the first person I know to find out about the planned proposal before it actually happened. And all the others said yes too.

Comment from: Carina Kadow [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 18, 2007 12:05 PM

Ah, thank you very much!

Me blind. :) In my defence, they are kinda easily missed. ;)