« On having a research department, even when they don't know it. | Main | All this said, even after all this time I'd wait in the cold for a ROM Spaceknight. But we knew that. »

Eric: Perhaps my favorite correction of all time.

I have been told in the mail which is electronic that in fact "shunpiking" is in the dictionary.

I have confirmed this fact.

Posted by Eric Burns-White at January 26, 2007 9:18 AM

Comments

Comment from: iconoclast [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 26, 2007 11:13 AM

"My thanks to those who e-mailed. I'm curiously delighted by this turn of events -- it's somewhat like discovering that Bigfoot has been in the Bronx Zoo since 1977 and they just have a bad publicity department."

...you didn't know?

;)

Comment from: Kate Sith [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 26, 2007 11:41 AM

For some reason I keep thinking that word is yiddish or something. I have no idea why. I know it isn't, but it reads like it should be.

Comment from: Dave Van Domelen [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 26, 2007 12:08 PM

Yeah, if you initially see it as "shun-PIK-ing" it sounds kinda weird. "SHUN-pike-ing" makes it more obvious what it's supposed to mean.

Comment from: miyaa [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 26, 2007 12:31 PM

Shunpiking: Americanism, circa 1850-1855. (According to Dictionary.com). It looks like it's close to the word schlepping, which is a Yiddish (with Low -German and Indo-Euroasian roots) phrase meaning to carry clumsily or to move slowly. Or as a noun: an idiot.

Shunpiking throughout the Greater Boston area was the only way Eric and Wednesday could find a jeweler who didn't treat them like a schlep.

Comment from: Plaid Phantom [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 26, 2007 5:43 PM

THAT is most totally awesome.

Comment from: Wistful Dreamer [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 27, 2007 12:31 AM

Eh, knowing what some of the maintenance workers at zoos look like, people probably just keep passing the bigfoot exhibit and thinking, "huh, I wonder what they're going to put in there once they're done renovating?"

Comment from: SpotWeld [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 29, 2007 12:06 AM

It ight be worth nothing that there is a Shunpike Rd near me over here in CT.

Comment from: Dave Van Domelen [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 29, 2007 7:29 PM

I was reading one of the essays in Grantville Gazette X today, and it mentioned how the invention of turnpikes led to the invention of shunpiking. :) Yay, synchronicity!