« Portentious! | Main | Necropost: On the Culling of iTunes »

Eric: Making up the missing days: The Malfunction Junction snark

Malfunction Junction!

(From Malfunction Junction! Click on the thumbnail for full sized customer appreciation day!)

This is a necromantic post, traveling back through time from the bright, cheerful vantage point of January 18. As promised at the top of the year, there's a conscious choice to 'make up' missed posts, because... well, because. And this then would be the first of them for today.

Because it's being written seven days after the fact, it becomes entirely possible that time itself will become unravelled and the universe will be devastated by vortices. I've read science fiction. I know how all this works. And the evidence of that would seem to be 'today's' Malfunction Junction snark, which is about Matt Milby's January 13 entry, even though this snark is officially from January 11. You see? Space and time are becoming unravelled and all is horror!

But enough of that.

I've been a fan of Matt Milby's since Gin and the Devil -- one of my favorite strips from its era. It wasn't, sadly, one of Milby's favorites. He didn't want to continue down the continuity path. At the same time, his style of humor isn't exactly "gag-a-day." So he decided to write what we'd have to term a journal comic, based upon his own life and his own experiences. This is less the Overcompensating method of flights of fancy built around Jeff Rowland's life, and more a sharply grounded in reality exercise in unmitigated sarcasm and bile. And it's fantastic. You honestly believe that this is Milby's view of his world -- the most banal experiences become fuel for the most biting comedy.

The epitome of this process resulted in the now-infamous October 24th strip from last year. This was one of the worst moments of Milby's life, alchemized into... well, a really kickass comic strip. It was absolutely note-perfect, and even today I read it, grin, stop, and think Jesus Christ. That really happened.

'Today's strip' isn't quite the same thing, but it represents a solid example of the Milby form. Here's something that happened. Here's Milby dealing with that something through drawing a comic strip. Here is an absolutely savage breakdown of the core stupidity of the moment. And here's me laughing my ass off at it. I absolutely believe this strip happened exactly as Milby described it.

It's possible these strips are a kind of therapy for Milby. It's also possible these strips are just a way of putting Milby's life into sharp relief. Or maybe he just does them because they make him laugh. I dunno. All I know is he does them, and that's pretty cool.

On... to January 12!

Posted by Eric Burns-White at January 11, 2007 12:01 AM

Comments

Comment from: Darth Paradox [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 18, 2007 12:05 PM

I believe the third panel there would be, specifically, the "Jesus Christ. She's not kidding." look. He's done a great job of providing the same sense of shock to the reader.

Comment from: Paul Gadzikowski [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 18, 2007 1:28 PM

Okay, then you've done it. Naturally I've been reading about this comic since the classic breakup strip, and I tried Gin and the Devil but didn't get hooked on it. But here you willen go, yestersevenday snarking tomorrow+++'s strip and driving me to actually add the comic to my trawl. So not only havenwill you breaking the spacetime continuum, but I'm sittingov here writingov this comment when I have ought to be will write and draw my strip for Pluterday.

Comment from: Paul Gadzikowski [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 18, 2007 1:29 PM

Comment from: MasonK [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 18, 2007 2:28 PM

Great. You broke the timestream *and* you broke Paul. I hope you're happy now, mister man.

Comment from: Scarybug [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 18, 2007 3:18 PM

Ditto to what Paul said, minus the time-travel dialect.

Comment from: LurkerWithout [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 18, 2007 6:45 PM

Oh wait. Heres the snark. My head hurts...

Comment from: miyaa [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 18, 2007 10:41 PM

Matt just had another one of those "My God, it actually happened" moments: on today's webcomic, he tells his dad his car was stolen. And he's pissed. This should be both painful and fun to read.

Anyone that can turn a stolen car and being the absolute last person to know he's been dumped into very funny comics is worth reading. And his artistic style isn't half bad either.

And next up on Websnark, Eric's cat performs the fabled Schrodinger's trick!

Comment from: MasonK [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 19, 2007 11:41 AM

Eric's cat, being a Kyriotate, can pull off being in the box *and* not in the box at the same time, which may skew the results.

Comment from: miyaa [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 19, 2007 8:18 PM

So...you're saying that Eric's cat thinks outside the box?

Comment from: Doug Wykstra [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 29, 2007 3:23 PM

No... I think he's saying Eric stole Schrodinger's cat.