« And here we go! | Main | On my way.... »

Eric: Interestingly, these *are* powers you can have in City of Heroes.

Girls With Slingshots!

(From Girls with Slingshots! Click on the thumbnail for full sized Superpowers!)

I shouid really post this sometime after three in the morning, my time, so it comes up as today's post instead of yesterday's. However, we're testing some new scheduled post stuff, and I don't want to stay up that late. I'll rework the time tomorrow. Damnable Pacific Time!!!

Secondly, this is a relatively short post, but a cheerful one. I don't have anything deep to say about Danielle Corosetto's latest Girls with Slingshots. It just makes me laugh. I think in part because it's well executed, and in part because I know girls like Jamie. Girls who have it. Girls who work it. Girls who never buy... well, anything.

Hell, I used to work at Renaissance Festivals. As near as I can tell, breasts are the one universal currency accepted at all Renn Fests. I remember every so often a directive would come down that we had to tone down the sex and tone up the morbidity, so they could claim it was all "family entertainment." Which worked great for three minutes after the opening of the gate, when half naked biker babes and hot chicks in chainmail bikinis would buy tickets, walk onto the grounds, and pay for absolutely nothing through the day.

None of which has anything to do with this strip, but dagnabbit, it's fun to remember.

Posted by Eric Burns-White at January 5, 2007 10:14 PM

Comments

Comment from: 32_footsteps [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 6, 2007 8:24 AM

I'd complain, but you should see me finagle my way into discounts at cons. And I'm male, so it's not like I have anything to tempt them with.

Either I keep running into the shopkeepers that are into pasty geeks, or it's just a skill that happens to be augmented by mammaries.

Comment from: Carina Kadow [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 6, 2007 8:50 AM

ultimate power mamaries or not, I'd keel over from the cold. o.O

But on the other hand, I've seen girls in miniskirts walking through snow, so maybe Jamie's still kind of sensible about all that.

Comment from: Ardaniel [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 6, 2007 10:01 AM

And I'm male, so it's not like I have anything to tempt them with.

Are you entirely sure about the "nothing to tempt them with" bit? ;)

Comment from: PerfessorEvil [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 6, 2007 11:19 AM

Huh... that's odd. My man-boobs never get me anything.

Maybe it's the lack of a push up bra?

Oh, and Woohoo! First time in 2 years I've actually been able to log in and post anything.

Comment from: Cornan [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 6, 2007 11:53 AM

Not sure if it's just me or what, but ever since you first posted the "Because Movable Type is Weird...." post my RSS feed has shown the "Live bookmark failed to load" error in Firefox. I didn't even know you'd posted anything since then until just now when I went to the site directly.

You may already know about this and it may be just my problem, but I thought I'd mention it.

Comment from: 32_footsteps [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 6, 2007 2:05 PM

"Are you entirely sure about the "nothing to tempt them with" bit? ;)"

Pasty skin, poor complexion, a bit overweight, messy hair, sweats way too easily... well, I suppose I could be running into people with remarkably low expectations. Hell, I married one. But I think that there can't be that many.

Unless it's the fact that I try to be polite, friendly, and patient with them at all times. That does seem to be in short supply at cons. But still, there are only four people I've ever met that have wanted a piece of this. And all four of them were nuts.

Comment from: kellandros [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 7, 2007 8:00 AM

Reminds me of an old arc from another comic:

"Cash, Check, or Cleavage?"

Comment from: abb3w [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 7, 2007 12:00 PM

Many of those real-world young ladies with such "superpowers" also (like Jamie) seem to have a little extra padding elsewhere. Having myself gone from rail-thin to a more typical American build over the years (190 cm; gone from 65kg leaving college to 100kg), I will note that such "little extra padding" provides some much needed insulation in cold weather or cold water. I never went swimming in the ocean much in my thin days, because I lost body heat too quickly in 75 degree water. Now I have no problems with it.

I have no explanation for the walking toothpicks who wear miniskirts in sub-freezing weather.

Comment from: Carina Kadow [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 7, 2007 12:09 PM

It seems to be different from person to person, abb3w - I have extra padding myself, and still I get cold very easily, while a toothpick thin, but very athletic female friend of mine doesn't seem to mind cold temperatures at all.

Fat isolates, true, but it's the muscles that produce the heat in the body.