« Download this book! Right now! Before it stops being free! | Main | Waking up from Slumberland: The End of Narbonic »

Eric: A new year, a new challenge

So here's the thing. It's time to get back to work.

2006 was a transitional year for me, in a lot of ways. This was the year of Wednesday, of travel, of Canada, of Modern Tales. In sports terms, this was a rebuilding year for me. For the first time in about six years, my writing output in all media was under two hundred thousand. Clearly, I needed some time off.

But that's done, now. It's 2007, and there's bills to pay and work to be done. Here and elsewhere. It's time to get back to work.

My quota, starting today (January 1, despite the fact that I'm writing this on the second) is 1,500 words a day. That can be here, or in stories, or whatever -- though I now have an aim to have something on here each and every day, whether fifteen hundred words or not. I won't count Livejournal posts to that quota, mind, unless said Livejournal post is a proper essay (which most of them aren't.)

Done properly, that will mean no less than five hundred and forty-seven thousand, five hundred words of productive work done by December 31, 2007. That's quota. That's not exceptional, that's just showing up to work. If I want to feel good about myself, I need to do better than that.

Websnark, as stated, is a part of that process. Days I miss, I'm going to try to make up. If that means I do multiple posts and officially call them "earlier days' posts" a la Milholland, then that's what it means and I won't feel guilty about it, neither. I'm also going to try to bank posts 'in advance' as I do this, to get some buffer, though some things will need to be done more quickly than that, of course. I want to have at least 365 posts at the end of the year.

Folks will also notice the Tip Jar has been reset back to Websnark, instead of Lea Hernandez. People have done some amazing things for Lea over the course of the last few months (and she announced a pretty amazing thank you as a result), and I'm leaving the post with the donation paypal button up for people who have linked to it and anyone else who wants to pitch in and help the continuing efforts to help out over there, but quite honestly things have been tight enough at Casa Websnark that I really need to at least give people the option to tip if they feel it's appropriate to tip. It's never a requirement, mind, but the option is there for folks, and I appreciate your consideration as always.

Let's do this thing.

Posted by Eric Burns-White at January 1, 2007 12:00 AM

Comments

Comment from: kirabug [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 2, 2007 1:14 PM

Yay! Goals are good. Mine are mostly monetary, but today's goal is to get at least three comics into the empty buffer.

Thanks for the good news of more websnark posts :)

Comment from: Akilika [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 2, 2007 1:54 PM

Heh . . . yeah, my goal's to draw at least one comic a day. Which isn't really negotiable, since that's how many I'm going to have to post . . . (I'm wondering if going from perma-hiatus to working on two strips simultaneously is the best idea, but hey, it should be fun.)

Good for you on your goals; best of luck with them. :) But I've got this feeling that I can't place that you won't need luck. Go get 'em. ^_^

Comment from: 32_footsteps [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 2, 2007 1:59 PM

Seems like 2006 was that kind of year for alot of people I know.

Personally, my Websnark-related goal for the year is to actually hang out in real life with someone connected even tangentally with Websnark. This could be Eric or Wednesday, or it could just be a regular commenter.

Of course, logistics will be an issue. As much as I might want to hang out with Larksilver, for example, she's over 2000 miles away - though my year's plans might push me towards Texas, so I suppose I can contact her when I know more.

It just seems strange to me that I like so many people here, but don't know them much at all. I feel like that ought to change.

Comment from: Will "Scifantasy" Frank [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 2, 2007 3:23 PM

More power to you, Eric. I imagine some of the logistics of this are tricky, meaning, I guess, the best option is not to consider them, but just put pen to paper (or fingers to keyboard) and just do the writing.

(Speaking of intense writing efforts, is there any news of any sort on Enter The Recluse? If nothing else, could you put it back online again? I liked it, and I like rereading stories...*grin*)

(Oh, and five hundred and forty-seven thousand, five hundred is a whole new way to measure a year. Better than cups of coffee, anyway...)

Comment from: kirabug [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 2, 2007 3:27 PM

32_footsteps Where are you now? Because a) Pennsylvania might be near where you are and b) Larksilver's not necessarily in Texas anymore. (Note: she's not in PA either - 'cause that'd be way awesome.)

Comment from: Darth Paradox [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 2, 2007 3:52 PM

I should do a "goals" post on my LJ, come to think of it. I've got one huge one: get my next webcomic project off the ground. I'm hoping to launch in April and have a thousand readers by year's end.

I'm in Seattle, but I'd definitely be up for some sort of 'Snark meetup. Hell, why not a SnarKon?

Comment from: 32_footsteps [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 2, 2007 3:54 PM

I live in Somerville, MA, Kira, which is directly north of Boston (at least on the eastern edge; Cambridge wedges itself between the two a bit further inland). Pennsylvania isn't all that far - and I end up in the eastern half of the state on occasion as I have family in South Jersey.

If you're around the Philly area, I could certainly find my way there at some point.

Comment from: kirabug [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 2, 2007 4:07 PM

32, that'd be cool :) I don't head north very often but I'm hoping to talk my husband into letting me invade one of the NY/NJ cons this year. I'd be interested in a SnarKon too, -- maybe SnarkKon East while Darth Paradox has SnarKon West?

Comment from: Paul Gadzikowski [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 2, 2007 4:23 PM

B-but how about a SnarKon Middle ... ?

Comment from: 32_footsteps [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 2, 2007 4:23 PM

The silly thing is that every time I see SnarKon, I hear a voice going "Snark on, snark off... the Snerker!" My youth was obviously wasted on too much television and not enough comics. ;)

I suppose the next thing to do in terms of gathering people together (or just hanging out with you, Kira) is figuring out when to do it. Personally, I'm swamped from late April to mid-May (seriously, did everyone I know have to decide to get married this year?). And due to logistics and another wedding, the 4th of July weekend is right out. Any particular time good or bad for you?

And should we be doing this over in LJ?

Comment from: Wistful Dreamer [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 2, 2007 5:10 PM

Good on you Eric. It's good to see something on the internet that stumbles and is considered important enough to get back up and running. After some of the angst early last year, I'm glad you consider it something worth saving.

Comment from: Chris Anthony [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 2, 2007 5:29 PM

Good job, and good luck, Eric. As always, I'll be looking forward to everything you have to say. (And, if I may be honest, I have similar goals myself, so I'll be trying to keep pace right along with you.)

Comment from: mckenzee [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 2, 2007 9:04 PM

As I proposed over on http://snarkoleptics.livejournal.com, SnarKon should be an afterparty at every Con, all year, everywhere.

Just stick a sign up somewhere saying "meet Snarkoleptics at the bar/pool/whatever at a designated time". Heck, most webcomic types would probably let you post it on thier table.

I plan to. MomoCon, Trinoc*Con, StellarCon, WTHCon and hopefully Heroes, DragonCon and Wizard Chicago.

Comment from: 32_footsteps [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 3, 2007 9:39 AM

Um... as someone who staffs a con, you're talking a whole lot of cons. There are literally hundreds of them. Maybe just the larger ones could host something like that.

Comment from: Paul Gadzikowski [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 3, 2007 10:01 AM

I see your point, 32, but on the other hand what's the harm of putting up a notice? Worst case, no one but the notice poster shows up.

Comment from: miyaa [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 3, 2007 7:57 PM

Interesting you say that. I'm in the middle of a month-long move myself. I've decided to move from Alabama where I was going to school to Portland, OR to find a job and start on work on one of my true goals: publishing a novel or some sort. I'm actually up in Portland now doing some job and apartment searching before I do move in February.

Maybe I could write a history of Websnark? (Websnark: A glimpse into the wild world of online critiquing.)

Comment from: Plaid Phantom [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 3, 2007 9:25 PM

Well, seeing as this is the place for this sort of thing, my plan is to get my own webcomic project going in some form or another. A website, at least. :)

For bonus points, I'll try to make it to some sort of con this year. Triple word score if I get someone to go with me.

Comment from: Grev [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at January 4, 2007 12:26 PM

Wow...I've inspired the masses!

No, wait. I'm only doing 500 words a day...and I'm actually using a buffer...the shame...