« Revelations | Main | Requiescat In Pace: John M. Ford »

Eric: Needful things and personal appearances

First off, and by far most importantly, Paul Taylor, the man behind Wapsi Square, has had a child with his wife. Unfortunately, the little one was born almost a month prematurely, and there are ongoing and mounting medical costs. His confederates at Blank Label Comics have put together a joint fundraiser to help this family through these expensive early months. There's some kick ass art and other such things being auctioned there, so go have a look and bid often.

If you'd like to contribute directly, there is a Paypal link on Wapsi's front page, or you can Paypal to pablowapsi@yahoo.com. In my case, I've both donated what little I could directly, and I also took the time to buy the Wapsi Square Print Collection, which I've been meaning to do anyhow. It's 160 pages of tasty goodness.

Secondly, for those of you who might be in a position to attend, there is a bit of excitement at the end of the week. Wednesday White and myself -- your action Snark team -- are two of the guests at the upcoming Free Culture Webcomics Lecture Series at Swarthmore College. In addition to Weds and myself we have good friend (and Modern Tales editor) Shaenon Garrity scheduled to be there. We have excellent online acquaintences (and people I'm looking forward to meeting in person) Howard Tayler and Rich Burlew coming. Finally, J.D. "Illiad" Frazer is coming, who I can't call an online acquaintance (I'm not convinced he knows what Websnark even is), but who I'm still looking forward to meeting.

The lecture takes place at 7 pm on Friday, with workshops on Saturday to boot. So, come on over if you're able and get your Academic on.

You know, after you give Paul Taylor a hand.

Posted by Eric Burns-White at September 20, 2006 1:05 PM

Comments

Comment from: Paul Gadzikowski [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at September 20, 2006 7:25 PM

All sympathies to the Taylors. Our neighbors went through this about a year and a quarter ago.

And I wish I could be there to meet all you guys.

Comment from: Eric Astor [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at September 20, 2006 10:22 PM

My apologies for the misunderstanding, Eric - unfortunately, JD had to cancel on us. Everything else is as you said, though! My link above goes to the summary page for the Symposium on our blog; everyone should feel welcome to check it out.www.we

Comment from: Eric Astor [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at September 20, 2006 10:23 PM

Damn this lack of editing - but my point is made.

Comment from: fjafjan [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at September 21, 2006 5:00 AM

Blame the american lack of free healthcare 888

*fingers crossed for well being of Paul Taylor and his young ones*
(and a speedy recovery to webcomics >_>)

Comment from: Michael Weaver [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at September 21, 2006 5:00 PM

Let's see... it's tomorrow night, near Philadelphia, while I'm several hundred miles north of there at an office dinner.

Even without the dinner, there's no way I'd make it down there in time... ah well. Guess I'll have to wait for the next blue moon all you folks are in the same patch of land.

In the meantime, I hope Paul's family does well, especially the little one. If I can find some cash to spare, it'll likely go his way.

Comment from: Shev [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at September 22, 2006 6:11 PM

I made plans to make it over there, but a crucial element of it fell through when my car didn't start. And since I live in the city proper, it's a bit difficult to make it to Swarthmore Campus in time by now.

So, my question: will there be any kind of recap of what you guys discussed? Not necessarily a transcript, but some kind of summary of what was discussed?

Now, to figure out how to get there for Saturday's workshops... well, I know I'll just use SEPTA, but I have to figure out the route and all.

Comment from: Eric Astor [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at September 23, 2006 10:29 AM

Shev, if you're going to take SEPTA, Swarthmore College is on the R3 - the stop is Swarthmore, and it drops you off right at the foot of campus, about a 10-15 minute walk from the Science Center (which is on the other end of campus).

As for a recap of what was discussed... I'm not sure anyone took sufficient notes on that, and the discussion went all over the map. We'll see, though...

In the meantime, I did find some cash to spare - and it immediately went to Paul Taylor. I can't imagine how nervewracking that situation must be... I hope his family is doing well.