« Schrödinger's Friend | Main | The Doctor is... oh, I can't do it. »

Eric: It's that time of year again. Mmm. *Arguin'* season!

The nominations for the 2006 Web Cartoonist's Choice Awards have been announced. I knew that to a degree last night, as I happened to be being interviewed for a podcast at the very moment the e-mails went out. (When the podcast goes live, you'll hear about it -- but in the meantime, don't forget the vastly-better-voiced-than-I Wednesday White has been a "special guest" over at Digital Strips for the last several episodes. As she now seems to have a (for the moment sparse) acknowledgement on the About page, I would say you can expect Wednesday's seductive purr commentary to be a regular part of the show.)

Anyway. I've had a chance to look more closely at the WCCAs now. And... well, c'est bien. I'm content. Most of the stuff I nominated made the cut, so I'm generally happy. There's a couple of things on it I don't currently read, so I've got new things to look at, and that's only a good thing.

Otherwise, there's nothing pissing me off. I think it's absolutely hysterical that Fetus-X has been nominated for Outstanding Romantic Comic, but on the other hand, we are talking about a love story for the ages. It was a solid year for both Achewood and Narbonic (and more to the point, both Chris Onstead and Shaenon Garrity), with Kris Straub's extraordinarily cool Starslip Crisis coming in stronger than expected (and that's no bad thing). With stuff like Girl Genius representing, there's plenty of evidence that there will be a good old fashioned donnybrook in the voting, with no one strip having a solid lock on any of their categories.

So. A good year for the WCCAs, I think. And yes, you're going to read through it and ask why wasn't the strip you write and draw that totally KICKS ASS so what the fuck people this is rigged your favorite strip up there, in some category or other. Resist that urge. Just be cheerfully happy for the folks who got nominated and move on.

And then vote for Achewood, if you're eligible. Become the ruling body, man.

Posted by Eric Burns-White at June 12, 2006 12:08 PM

Comments

Comment from: Suzanne [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at June 12, 2006 12:43 PM

I am doing the happy hiss and fist pump of joy for Gunnerkrigg Court. What a comic. I'm glad Tom got a justly deserved nod. Even being nominated is a huge honor for a new web comic.

So glad to see that.

Comment from: Aerin [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at June 12, 2006 2:51 PM

I was hoping to be eligible to nominate for this year's WCCAs, but alas, my comic has been greatly delayed. Perhaps next year.

I do look forward to the awards as a way of pointing me to things that I'm not reading that I really have no excuse not to be reading. I know that I discovered Copper this way, and I remember there were a couple of others, though I don't remember which. Last year I tried to read every nominated comic by the time the awards came out. I didn't succeed, but I had a good time trying.

Comment from: hitch [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at June 12, 2006 3:24 PM

not to complain...but I must say that i'm surprised that Starslip, a blank label comic, made outstanding sci-fi and yet Schlock Mercenary (also blank label and many years longer running) did not...
Starslip *certainly* deserves it...and I'm sure the others listed do as well...though I've only ever read starslip, GG, and Freefall (yeah...they all deserve awards...though I'd hesitate to put GG in "sci-fi"....)
ah hell.
can't they just add Schlock in there too!?

Comment from: hitch [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at June 12, 2006 3:29 PM

sorry. I know I should be cheerfully happy...
I am! dude, all the strips that made it (that I've read) rock!

Comment from: Thomas Blight [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at June 12, 2006 6:07 PM

I don't like these nominations. There's an awful lot of repeats in it. (For instance Sarah Ellerton/Inverloch recieved twelve nominations, Kristopher Straub/Starslip Crisis recieved six) I just don't want to see the awards as all Inverloch and all Starslip Crisis. (I know that's not going to be the case, but that's not what I mean.)

Schlock's already won and co-won in Sci Fi (and been nominated every time but this one). I think that's more than enough (though if I had it my way Schlock would win every year)

Comment from: LNick [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at June 12, 2006 8:55 PM

Good lord! Have I been reading Narbonic for a whole year now?

Comment from: miyaa [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at June 13, 2006 12:46 AM

Comment from: Abby L. [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at June 13, 2006 1:36 AM

I'd just like to give thanks to the people who voted for my comic for Best Superhero/Action Comic, despite the fact that voting started many weeks after I stopped updating. Thanks for the support, I really appreciate it.

Totally basking right now. :)

Comment from: ItsWalky [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at June 13, 2006 11:31 AM

"So, here's my question: do you vote for Achewood just for overall comic award, or all of the awards that they're nominated for? Because I'd lean towards having it win the overall award and not for the other awards, because there are other comics nominated that had better stuff than Achewood, but Achewood was better as a whole than it's parts."

I lean towards voting it for overall, too, and suggest you especially do not vote for Achewood for Outstanding Comedic Comic.

Comment from: larksilver [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at June 13, 2006 11:48 AM

I'm thrilled for those what are nominated, it's terrific!

Is it wrong of me that the strikeout over seductive purr made me giggle this morning? Probably. Ohwell.

Comment from: Shaenon [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at June 13, 2006 3:16 PM

I suggest voting for Achewood for all the other categories, and especially do not vote for Achewood for the overall comic award. Also do not vote for Fetus-X, Girl Genius, Inverloch...

Oh, what am I saying? Great Outdoor Fight was the best thing that happened ever! I'M DOOOOOOMED!

Comment from: Johnny Assay [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at June 14, 2006 1:18 PM

I hate to be a nattering nabob of negativity, but am I the only one who thinks there are too damn many categories? Especially the content-based categories (fantasy, gaming, slice-of-life, etc.) — it seems like some were invented solely for the purpose of giving out more awards. It'd be like if the AMPAS gave out awards for "Best Horror Movie", "Best Romantic Comedy", "Best Historical Drama", etc. — faintly ridiculous, and diluting the whatever prestige the awards hold.

Comment from: ItsWalky [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at June 14, 2006 5:14 PM

I dunno. One of the failings of the Academy Awards, I feel, is that it should have more "genre" categories. Why? Well, comedies are ignored all the time for Best Anything, except for the ones that are disguised in just enough drama.

Of course, now that there's an Oscar for best animated feature, we'll likely never see an animated feature nominated for Best Film ever again.

On the other hand, it's not like anything after Beauty and the Beast was ever gonna get nommed for that anyway.

So the argument goes in circles. I don't feel there are too many categories. There's not a ludicrous amount and there's not too few. So while it's not perfect, no single awards structure is.

Comment from: Darth Paradox [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at June 16, 2006 8:15 PM

I like the way the Pegasus awards (for filk) do it, myself. They have a number of rotating categorical awards - a couple of them are awarded each year. In general, though, songs (and artists) are eligible for a Pegasus award for their entire existence - until they win one. So a song fitting a certain genre can wait a couple years for its award category to come around, and at the same time the ballot isn't overly bulky.

However, I suspect the webcomics community is more "high-velocity" than the filk community - webcomics by their very nature are a very immediate medium, whereby you can have a comic (and an audience's reaction to it) within hours of creation, but the filk community tends to center around conventions, and people generally get to interact several times a year at most.