« There is life, and there is living. But they're best done together. In volume. | Main | Pink sapphires actually exist. Swear to God. Ick. »

Henrietta: Meow Piro meow meow upskirt meow eBay.

[Meow creepy! Meow.](Meow Megatokyo. Click meow meow!)

Meow bothered meow idea meow Piro meow meow pass as meow Kimiko meow meow restaurant. Meow meow shouldn't work meow! Meow even creepier meow, meow don't meow closely look meow hair meow meow reading meow archives backwards, meow meow doesn't meow out meow place. (Meow argument meow Megatokyo meow not a webcomic so much as meow working journal.)

Meow meow Kimiko gets meow feeling meow guilty about meow sweet, wounded, meow fans meow hope meow light meow love. Meow not fancy meow meow inside. Meow swarming leeches. Meow, look at that meow. Meow meow creep meow out? Meow hope meow means meow total 180 meow figures meow, past meow certain point, meow meow can't encourage meow behavior.

Meow meow guy meow drooling.

Meow meow got meow taste of this meow job meow hostess meow Shinjuku meow. Meow can only let meow clients in meow far. Meow want them meow meow attached enough meow buy meow drinks. Meow want meow meow become repeat customers meow bring meow friends around. Meow meow definitely not meow want them meow meow personal about it. If meow say meow meow love you meow, meow got meow start deflecting them meow bit. Get meow away. If meow don't, meow when meow start following meow home meow meow stalking meow at meow grocery store. Meow go out meow meow pack meow Lucky Strikes meow there he is, meow meow standing there in meow rain meow meow bouquet meow wilted roses meow 7-11 down meow block. Meow meow knife.

(Meow meow mention meow knife? Meow lucky meow wasn't smart enough meow back meow into meow corner first. Meow ran all meow way meow meow that 7-11, screaming meow top of meow lungs, meow meow kept slashing at meow from behind. Meow meow finally got into meow store, meow took three men meow take him down. Meow Coke Light meow Bacon sign meow never meow meow same, either.)

Meow got to have meow boundaries. Meow meow really deranged people out meow, meow seize on any meow meow thing meow get closer meow fantasies. Don't think meowmeow safe meow not as big as meow idol star, either. Meow, meow just meow Shinjuku hostess meow; if anyone meow famous meow meow club, meow didn't tell meow. All meow have to do meow seem above meow meow pathetic meow lives somemeow. Once meow cross meow line meow meow thinking meow can lift them meowmeow bedrooms into meow heaven, meow no turning back. Meow just meow matter meowmeow bad it gets.

Meow meow still can't meow Lucky Strikes meow thinking about meow. Meow, meow hope Fred Gallagher meow meow use meow incident meow demonstrate how meow meow up meow idol-fan dynamic is, meow how bad meow can get. Meow worst part is, meow really looks meow meow like meow's trying meow glamourize it, even through meow creepiness. Meow bad is it meow meow people will invade meow worship object meow day job meow meow drool over meow?

Meow, meow other broken, meow twisted approaches meow life in meow comic meow smoothed over meow. Meow wide berth meow Miho gets meow screw meow everyone around meow, even. Largo meow break meow meow reality meow persistent alcoholism. Meow shouldn't this meow? Meow wonder CMX banked meow this one. Meow long as Megatokyo meow meow encouraging dysfunctional habits meow fandom meow romanticizes, meow course people meow meow keep snapping meow up in spite meow complaints meow gets.

Posted by Henrietta Pussycat at April 1, 2006 12:08 AM

Comments

Comment from: quiller [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 1, 2006 1:11 AM

As Bill the Cat says, "Phhhhhhhhhbt!"

Comment from: SFaulken [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 1, 2006 1:13 AM

Dude. That's just messed up, I think my brain is broken.

Comment from: Charat-able [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 1, 2006 1:16 AM

You Pyon Me And Pyon Lost Me isn't unretractable, pyon.

Useful pyon know.

Comment from: kirabug [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 1, 2006 1:36 AM

I have got to stop drinking before going on the web.

Comment from: henrietta pussycat [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 1, 2006 1:40 AM

Meow Charat-able:

Meow *pyon*?! Meow meow Gema meow oppressed meow meow Analogue War meow meow ruling Charat overclass meow ~gema.

Comment from: NthDegree256 [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 1, 2006 1:58 AM

My god. Has it really been a year since the Garfield entry? I hadn't realized I've been reading this blog for so long.

Comment from: kirabug [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 1, 2006 2:01 AM

of course, the fact that all the google ads are for colon cleansing and fibromyalgia just ads to the magic.

Comment from: TheNintenGenius [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 1, 2006 2:14 AM

This is the greatest fucking post in the history of humanity.

Comment from: Miller [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 1, 2006 2:36 AM

I was about to say that this was really fucking annoying. Then I pasted it into word, automatically deleted all the "meows," and read it.

Turns out it's fucking brilliant.

I don't see the drooling guy, though.

Comment from: Patrick Harris [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 1, 2006 2:45 AM

meow meow catjesus meow meow?

Comment from: Aufero [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 1, 2006 3:58 AM

Either I'm having flashbacks to 1996 or my antipsychotic meds have passed their expiration date.

Comment from: Archon Divinus [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 1, 2006 5:48 AM

Brain... broken.

Comment from: dreamshade [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 1, 2006 7:10 AM

Comment from: Doug [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 1, 2006 7:27 AM

While the critique was well done and made some valid observations and had well-argued points, I found most of those snide side comments a little catty.

All kitten aside... Eric, you have any plans on allowing rebuttals from the other side of this argument? I look forward with great anticipation to the time when Websnark goes to the dogs.

Comment from: JackSlack [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 1, 2006 7:30 AM

Woof Eric woof woof comments woof Megatokyo, woof woof firmly woof woof woof woof woof woof Had woof Lost Me woof, woof woof pins woof blame woof cat?

Woof sneaky, woof.

Plus, woof woof reminds woof woof Guybrush Threepwood woof woof Monkey Island woof. Governor Marley. Arrooo! Aroooo! Woof woof woof.

-- Dusty, JackSlack's Dog

Comment from: Ninjacrat [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 1, 2006 8:08 AM

Having devoiced the post...

Henrietta's out of her tree.
The damn comic's been lampooning all aspects of 'fanboy culture' for approximately as long as it's _had_ a plot; it'd take a pretty bloody-minded reading to see it as anything else.

Comment from: badmoon [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 1, 2006 8:56 AM

Posting that link should be a damn warcrime, dreamshade. The speed in which it sears itself into memory is frightening. One glorious day, I'll revenge myself upon you :D

Comment from: Nate [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 1, 2006 9:09 AM

I think the record's been roundly beaten, even if you didn't have someone pulled over when you were doing it.

Comment from: Axonite [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 1, 2006 9:13 AM

Well... Okay. But what does X the Owl think?

Comment from: Sili [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 1, 2006 9:33 AM

And here I thought that [REDACTED] [PANDA] couldn't be beat. Sadly, I find myself disagreeing with Henrietta. Mainly because I'm offended by her condescending tone and high-faluting New-England accent.

Sicerely,
[EEEEEEEEK]

Comment from: TheNintenGenius [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 1, 2006 9:35 AM

Playing off Axonite's comments, we should totally have a Neighborhood of Make Believe comics blog. Or at the very least I want to see Lady Elaine's take on this for some reason.

By the way, I wasn't kidding about my earlier comment, this really is the greatest post in the history of everything.

Comment from: DarkStar [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 1, 2006 10:39 AM

Apparently the Cat-to-English translator is still in Beta. Maybe Google will buy it and use to to further take over the world.

Comment from: henrietta pussycat [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 1, 2006 11:18 AM

Meow said:

Meow from Pittsburgh meow. Meow double major meow meow CS meow English Literature meow Carnegie Mellon. Meow scholarship meow meow Ford Foundation.

Comment from: henrietta pussycat [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 1, 2006 11:24 AM

Meow meow meow:

Meow Eric! Meow meow in meow ear! Meow all "one year meow." Meow said, "Meow not meowmeow if meow can't meow about creepy fanmeow," and meow meant it meow.

Meow no one meow meow Lady Aberlin meow meow nun meow Kevin Smith movie.

Comment from: 32_footsteps [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 1, 2006 11:39 AM

Dear sweet merciful heavens.

Pandora's box has been opened. Again.

Either the Websnark duo (personally, I think Weds has more to do with this than Eric, but I've been wrong before) doesn't remember their Internet history, or they know all too well and are waiting to see who reacts like this.

But to put it simply, Henrietta Pussycat is one of the virtual Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse. Any chance she had at virtual innocence is long since gone. She has become Death, destroyer of worlds.

I mean, there are a few rules you have to live by. Don't tug on Superman's cape. Don't spit into the wind. Don't pull the mask off the Lone Ranger. And you don't tempt the Meow, at least not before a UseNet veteran.

Comment from: John Troutman [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 1, 2006 11:52 AM

This post was totally zen.

Comment from: thomas [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 1, 2006 12:51 PM

I've just created a Typekey account specifically to post this comment: respect for the critical dialogue this site had has been irrevocably lost. You just crossed the line from 'discourse' to 'haha interweb LOL'. Cat posts = weaksauce.

Comment from: Vanderath [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 1, 2006 1:27 PM

You've not truly read websnark unless you've read it in the original meow.

Comment from: RMG [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 1, 2006 1:50 PM

D:

Comment from: Robert Hutchinson [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 1, 2006 2:11 PM

Henrietta: Um, that's meow meow up indeed. Hooray for obmeowscation?

32_footsteps: I'm pretty sure "Usenet veteran" is prominently listed on at least half of Websnark's imaginary Internet resumes. (Or perhaps not listed, with extreme prejudice. But you get my meaning.)

thomas: MEOWsauce.

Comment from: henrietta pussycat [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 1, 2006 2:45 PM

Thomas: Meow meow shrug. Meow bad! Meow still loves meow's contribution meow copper mining meow Saskatchewan! Thanks meow reading!

32: Meow? Meow USENET meow meow worthless since meow departure meow Gene Spafford. Meow no patience meow unnecessary "alt hierarchy" meow. Meow Great Renaming meow worst move ever. Meow quit meow meow years meow Last September. Also, meow hated meow Presidents meow United States of America. Meow Lump? Meoowwwww. Meow never live meow down.

Comment from: Phil Kahn [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 1, 2006 3:19 PM

Bark bark bark.

Comment from: Scarybug [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 1, 2006 3:38 PM

"Can I have those drugs? The ones that make you go 'meow'?"

Best episode of Home Movies meow >^_^

Comment from: 32_footsteps [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 1, 2006 3:51 PM

Nor should you live the Meow down. In some of my less-proud moments, I've tangled with agents of the Meow - shortly after the fall of the HFW, which at the time was their major distraction. Yeah, on the flip side, I have friends who once Meowed, but still, the Meow is probably the greatest symbol in my mind of the Eternal September.

And anyhow, the alt.* hierarchy is necessary because it's unnecessary. As much as it was prone to abuse, as the Meow proved handily, it was also a safety valve. Of course, I'm "immortalized" in it. So I can never speak of it impassively.

Sigh... I just have to keep repeating to myself, the Meow is no more... the Meow is no more...

Comment from: John [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 1, 2006 3:51 PM

Wait. Was Wednesday really chased by a knife-wielding admirer at one point?

On the other hand, if Eric wrote this... was Eric really chased by a knife-wielding admirer at one point?

I think Fred is trying to play both sides here (and it may catch him up yet). On the one hand, he does recognize the unhealthy, obsessive side of fandom. It's a dangerous force. On the other, he seems to want to confront us with the real humanity of the individuals who make up these fan communities. So while we have Largo defending Erika from fan hordes on the one hand, we have Piro embodying the fan persona on the other.

Though Piro is about to come face-to-face with his own fandom writ large. Could be a moment of truth for him.

Comment from: Arujei [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 1, 2006 5:02 PM

Uhhh, what the hell?

I'm sure there should be some kind of post here, but I can't read it through the flood of annoying meows. Anybody want to translate the gist of it for me and those of us too lazy to take out the meows?

Comment from: Zaq [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 1, 2006 5:04 PM

It's like reverse Smurfism.

And it's even better if you read it out loud. Go on. Try it. Just make sure your roomate/co-workers/etc. are out fo the room first.

Comment from: thok [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 1, 2006 5:15 PM

Meow wonder meow meow original meow meow this meow (before meow meowed) meow meow available tomorrow.

Good meow.

Comment from: Paul Gadzikowski [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 1, 2006 5:31 PM

This is kinda the flip side of what Eric wrote at Websnark's one-year mark, about the cool kids suddenly thinking you're the cool kid. Unfortunately the wanna-be cool kids start thinking it too, and that can get any and all degrees of unpleasant. I've been there - not on the scale Eric and Wednesday know, of course - and it's only made the worse for me because I know I'm on the other side of it all too often. I worked the green room at the Chicago Worldcon in 1982. Jim Henson was one of the guests. He never showed up in the green room though, and I've always said that that was for the best because I know I would've gushed horribly. My stepdaughter met him though - she was a year and a half old at the time - and that, I suppose, is more important. But did you know Douglas Adams was about six and a half feet tall?

Comment from: Robert Hutchinson [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 1, 2006 5:32 PM

Taking meow the meows is not meow meow, as they meow important meow in each meow. Meow rhythm must meow preserved.

Comment from: 32_footsteps [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 1, 2006 5:34 PM

"...but I can't read it through the flood of annoying meows."

Yep, just like Usenet during the Meow Wars. I was afraid of this. Even at its most benevolent, it's freaking annoying as all hell.

Comment from: dreamshade [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 1, 2006 7:26 PM

When asked for comment, the PvP panda growled, and then devoured a young Japanese girl. The girl was reportedly seeking shelter from an unexpected snowfall. And sad.

Comment from: Alan Sharkey [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 1, 2006 8:13 PM

Don't ask me. I'm just a rhubarb.

Comment from: Psylence [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 1, 2006 8:47 PM

Henrietta writes kind of like a feline version of the old drunk guy by the fire from The Fast Show, except more coherent.

Meow meow meow poisonous monkeys!

Comment from: thomas [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 1, 2006 9:51 PM

Okay, you've redeemed yourself with the Saskatchewan gold mining response. But don't let it happen again.

Comment from: Robert Hutchinson [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 1, 2006 10:37 PM

Even at its most benevolent, it's freaking annoying as all hell.

Except for those of us for which it isn't.

Comment from: Daemonic [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 1, 2006 10:49 PM

But what about Peaches?! Come on, every cat loved that one!

Comment from: Jin Wicked [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 2, 2006 7:06 AM

So; what you're saying is that you'd rather use an unintelligible puppet sock to comment, rather than publicly admit you've been reading MegaTokyo?

Comment from: William_G [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 2, 2006 8:12 AM

Stop reading the internet for four days and the fucking cats take over.

OR, I enjoyed "We3" far too much

St!nk meat!

Comment from: Horus [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 2, 2006 10:31 AM

Wouldn't you?

Comment from: Jin Wicked [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 2, 2006 10:34 AM

Comment from: Christopher B. Wright [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 2, 2006 10:42 AM

I also read Megatokyo. I find it fascinating.

Comment from: siwangmu [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 2, 2006 11:08 AM

Some things:
(1) This post is providing a gold mine of things to google (upskirt, meow incident, great renaming...)

(2) I would like to comment on the contents of this post, but I haven't finished figuring out what it says. I suck.

(3) The commenters who've objected strongly to this entire post (for instance, discourse) should probably have checked a calendar yesterday.

Comment from: dreamshade [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 2, 2006 11:19 AM

"I am not ashamed to admit I read MegaTokyo and actually own two of the books. So there."

To paraphrase Chris Rock, thousands of hits a day, and we can't get a single person to admit to reading it. It's like heroin - SOMEBODY'S got to be doing it.

Comment from: Paul Gadzikowski [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 2, 2006 11:35 AM

I read Megatokyo for sentimental reasons - it was the receipt of the paperback Chapter 0 for Father's Day that introduced me to the webcomics world and led to the creation of my conventional (as opposed to fanfiction) webcomic - but I did prefer its earlier, funny strips.

Comment from: Ninjacrat [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 2, 2006 11:45 AM

People have to specify they're 'not ashamed' of enjoying something now? Man, it's like being 13 all over again. 0_o

A commenter would like to note that certain commenter's posts about commenters requiring calendares indicates that cetain commenters have not fully read certain posts and noted that, insofar as they can be decrypted, they sppear to represent and be consistent with certain opinions previously expressed by certain individuals and therefore be worthy of reply, and that even certain posters no longer have any idea where this sentace is going anymore.

Comment from: Robert Hutchinson [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 2, 2006 12:02 PM

I . . . never mind.

Comment from: Wednesday White [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 2, 2006 12:09 PM

Wait. Was Wednesday really chased by a knife-wielding admirer at one point?

Henrietta Pussycat is a fictional character and should be read as such.

Comment from: Jin Wicked [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 2, 2006 2:18 PM

Well, you'll kindly note I didn't say why. ;)

Comment from: kellandros [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 2, 2006 2:23 PM

I think I'm also very glad I never saw these fabled 'meow' Usenet wars.

I don't try to keep up with Megatokyo regularly anymore. Its much less frustrating to go through about 10-20 pages at once. Every so often when I see a reference to it I'll go and backtrack to where I last left off(reminds me of some of the Oceans Unmoving advice).

Comment from: dreamshade [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 2, 2006 5:39 PM

"Well, you'll kindly note I didn't say why. ;)"

Desperately hoping for the Dom/Largo yaoi scene?

Comment from: Jin Wicked [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 2, 2006 5:55 PM

Desperately hoping for the Dom/Largo yaoi scene?

Um EW.

And judging by MegaTokyo even if I was into that, it'd be way too emo for me.

I mostly read it because I tend to read or at least occasionally glance at all the popular comics. I like to try to figure out what others are doing right, and learn from other people's experiences rather than learning the hard way myself. =P

EW EW EW EW EW.

Comment from: 32_footsteps [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 2, 2006 7:17 PM

What's so "ew" about a yaoi sex scene? Unless you'd "ew" at any love scene, or any love scene involving either Dom or Largo. Though admittedly, the idea of even the humorously suggested sex between Largo and Erika at one point had me going, "What the... aw, man, image I did not need!"

I personally read Megatokyo regularly. I understand the issues people have with it, but I think the reward is worth it. That, and I've found that some of the issues have been resolved. I think there is more of a conscious effort to make characters look different, the update schedule isn't nearly as sporadic as it once was, and in his biggest improvement, it's much easier to tell what, precisely, is actually going on these days.

I'll grant you, it's not at the point where I would tell apostates to give it a try again, but I hold out hope that it will get there one day.

Comment from: Christopher B. Wright [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 2, 2006 8:40 PM

While I think I prefer the more anarchic early days of Megatokyo, I find the idea of Largo as someone who sees the world entirely in terms of gaming -- and yet manages to be one of the more insightful characters for pretty much that same reason -- mostly hilarious and occasionally brilliant.

The other aspects of the story don't really appeal to me, but I've never really been into all the multisyllabic variants of manga, so that's already working against me. I suppose it's sort of like watching Romeo and Juliet because you really like Mercutio. On the other hand, Mercutio *is* one of the best roles in a Shakespearean play, so...

Comment from: STrRedwolf [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 3, 2006 12:52 AM

Torti: Mao?
Perdue: Rowl?
Blondie: *purrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr*

Comment from: Jin Wicked [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 3, 2006 2:13 AM

Yes precisely.

Yaoi isn't my thing, but meh.

Dom + Largo = EW.

Comment from: Alexis Christoforides [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 3, 2006 3:11 AM

I agree completely. Largo is the most interesting of the stars of Megatokyo and the only one I can (kind of) relate to. He's the main reason I read MT, but most fans seem to dislike him from what I can tell. Personally, I couldn't care less about Piro and Kimiko; shy-guy-gets-the-girl is a story I've read far too many times.

Comment from: Greg Carter [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 3, 2006 12:12 PM

I'm loving the Largo+Erika story. I usually swing by the site every couple of weeks to catch up, but since this started I've been clicking over every day. Even on non-update days, even when p-man took two weeks off. Just. In. Case.

Actually, I've been enjoying Megatokyo more and more even before that. But, damn. Largo and Erika. Meow to the meow. Oh, wait. Wrong webcomic.

Comment from: gwalla [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 3, 2006 4:06 PM

I've considered writing an essay on how Megatokyo is really about the hyperreal Japan built up in the heads of American otaku from the snippets glimpsed in anime. In this view, the scene where (IIRC) Piro gives a girl chocolates for Valentine's Day, which many people familiar with Japan criticized (in Japan, girls give chocolates to guys on V-Day), might not be a cultural flub: details about the real Japan are actually irrelevant if it's meant to be set in a japanophilic neverland.

However, my understanding of semiotics is rudimentary at best, I've never read Baudrillard, and could never get all the way through Megatokyo. So I'd just be talking out of my ass.

Comment from: ebullientsoul [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 4, 2006 2:35 PM

That was cute, but for those of us who don't have the inclination to go into Word and delete every single one of the "meow"s can you let me know what was said?

Comment from: Christopher B. Wright [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 4, 2006 3:21 PM

In short: "Megatokyo is sort of creeping me out."

Comment from: miyaa [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 6, 2006 12:04 AM

I go away on vacation for one weekend and half, and this happens?!

"Henretta" reminds me more of a more sophisticated Meowth from the perennial Pokemon series. Just don't have a post like that ever again, please.

Gwalla: Huh. Girls give guys chocolate? What do the guys give in return? Strawberry Pocky?

Comment from: gwalla [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 10, 2006 12:27 AM

The guys give stuff back on White Day (March 14). Originally this was supposed to be white chocolate and marshmallows (hence, "White Day"), but more often it is white lingerie.

Also, giving chocolate on Valentine's Day is mandatory for many women working in offices: they are required to buy chocolate for all of their male coworkers. White Day, on the other hand, is completely optional.