« Also, now we know where the NoDoz ended up. | Main | The GOF is more than just a comic. »

Eric: On the other hand, wouldn't Butch kill them if he learned what the word meant?

Chopping Block

(From Chopping Block. Click on the thumbnail for full sized lexigraphic confusion!)

There are some occasions where Chopping Block goes back to formula. Take today's strip. It's as 'typical' as we get with Chopping Block. We have Butch. Butch is dealing with an annoyance in life. It's an annoyance we can identify with, even though it's skewed or twisted. There is a certain level of confusion on either Butch's part or the victim's part. And of course, there is the implication that horrible death has resulted, is in the act of resulting, or will result from the punchline. Today, Butch has misunderstood the term 'recidivist,' and as a result many judges have died. Butch doesn't want to kill them, mind. But there's propriety to be considered, here.

Like I said, there's formula at work here.

That's not a bad thing. Not in this strip. Herold knows how to work the formula, and get laughs out of i. (And dude. I have always and likely always will love the art in this strip. But that's as may be.)

Posted by Eric Burns-White at March 24, 2006 1:12 PM

Comments

Comment from: Christopher B. Wright [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at March 24, 2006 2:14 PM

Butch has the soul of a poet.

... on his mantle.

... in a box.

Comment from: Branitar [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at March 24, 2006 2:26 PM

Heh, although I am not a fan of "Chopping Block" i have to say that this particualy strip is hilarious. :)

And uhm ... Websnark seems to attract very strange Google ads:

"Butch Femme & Transmen"
"breast binders & swimsuit"
"Dating Gay Male"

o_O

Comment from: Matt Buchwald [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at March 24, 2006 2:52 PM

That is an awesome awesome strip today. Puns (does this even count as a pun ) involving non-mainstream words get me every time. Usually.

Comment from: Bahimiron [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at March 24, 2006 3:07 PM

Man, I loved this joke.

When Sergio Aragon├ęs did it.

Twenty-five years ago.

...

Man, it's Groo's 25th birthday this year?

Comment from: DocN [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at March 24, 2006 4:01 PM

When the hell did Chopping Block start updating again, and why didn't anyone tell me?

Doc.

Comment from: Pseudowolf [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at March 24, 2006 4:46 PM

And uhm ... Websnark seems to attract very strange Google ads:

"Butch Femme & Transmen"
"breast binders & swimsuit"
"Dating Gay Male"

"Meet Local Lesbians"
"Meet Lesbian Singles"
"Lesbian Dating And Friends"

Well, all right then!

>.>

Comment from: John Troutman [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at March 24, 2006 5:54 PM

I have always and likely always will love the art in this strip.

Ooooh yeah. Lee's art is beyond awesome.

*lovingly caresses the original Chopping Block strip hanging on the wall*

Comment from: 32_footsteps [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at March 24, 2006 6:04 PM

Beyond the ads mentioned by others, I also see one for an RF Plasma Etcher. I have no earthly idea what it does, but I suddenly want one.

You know, I don't think the phrase "lexigraphic confusion" was ever more apt.

Comment from: STrRedwolf [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at March 24, 2006 7:47 PM

Groo's 24th, unless you can find a Groo story in 1981.

Comment from: Tyck [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at March 24, 2006 9:00 PM

I clicked the link for the RF Plasma Etcher and I don't know what it does. But, like 32_footsteps, I want one. This thing looks like an excellent accessory for setting up a Mad Science Lab. Also, you can get a "Fomblinised" version.

Comment from: PO8 [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at March 24, 2006 11:24 PM

Wikipedia says "Plasma etching is a form of plasma processing in which a high-speed stream of plasma is shot (in pulses) at a metal. The atoms of the shot element embed themselves at or just below the surface of the target. The physical properties of the target are modified in the process."

RF Plasma Etching uses high-intensity RF to dissassociate a gas to create the plasma.

A "fomblinized" pump appears to be one that has had all its hydrocarbon components removed so they won't react with the process. In particular, the oil is replaced with "fomblin oil", which is a highly stable synthetic substance.

Comment from: quiller [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at March 25, 2006 12:18 AM

Oh, I see, google is cueing off the repetitions of Butch in this...

I was originally looking at the main page google ads which were mostly D&D related and thinking D&D and lesbians, there is some variety to the site content here...

Comment from: Plaid Phantom [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at March 25, 2006 12:25 AM

Dude! Same Here!

Comment from: Fabricari [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at March 26, 2006 11:02 AM

This is the kind of review I like - well, comic I like. Thanks for the recommendation! Just posting a comment here so it looks like these kind of reviews are more popular than they seem.

Either that, or I have an affinity to violent comics. :P

Comment from: Eric the .5b [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at March 26, 2006 10:34 PM

Likewise! Dude!

Comment from: 32_footsteps [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at March 27, 2006 2:14 PM

I can at least see the theory on the lesbian ads (I guess Google most strongly correlates the word "butch" to lesbianism). But that oh-so-tempting plasma etcher is still escaping me.

Makes me wonder if it would be possible to write an essay on homosexuality and somehow not ping those kind of ads.

And can I get a movement to use "fomblinized" (or even better, "unfomblinized") in everyday language? Try saying it out loud - incredibly fun, and it just sounds interesting.

Comment from: miyaa [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at March 27, 2006 4:57 PM

"Fomblinized?" You mean "Formolized." (Treated with a dilute formaldehyde solution especially for purposes of attenuation. Yes, I had to look this word up. No, don't make me look up the word "attenuation." Fomblinizied is just the British spelling of the word.)

Now, if you'll excuse me, my head just exploded.

Comment from: Aerin [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at March 27, 2006 7:47 PM

I greatly prefer Chopping Block when it follows formula. Butch's mother issues aren't as enjoyable as his killing sprees.

Comment from: Matt Buchwald [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at March 31, 2006 9:42 AM

Did anybody else notice that this was the 500th articel in "Webcomics"?

Comment from: Matt Buchwald [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at March 31, 2006 9:43 AM

Article, even.