« Why do we keep talking about the Great Outdoor Fight? Because it's *good.* | Main | On the other hand, wouldn't Butch kill them if he learned what the word meant? »

Wednesday: Also, now we know where the NoDoz ended up.

[Jeep, gun, NoDoz. All anyone needed. From Achewood.](It's in the middle Jeep; see 23 March 2006's Achewood. Do that anyway, for crying out loud; they're razing the God damned Acres.)

While you're tenterhooked and waiting for the next Great Outdoor Fight installment, you might want something to do. Greatoutdoorfight.com, once a placeholder, is now an unofficial wiki. Next to nothing has actually been written as I post this -- not even the entry for Rodney Leonard Stubbs.

But there is a list of past winners.

You know what to do. Go play.

Posted by Wednesday Burns-White at March 23, 2006 4:25 AM

Comments

Comment from: Darth Paradox [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at March 23, 2006 8:32 PM

Yeegods, that's certainly not the best Wiki interface I've ever seen. But I've contributed - whee.

Comment from: william [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at March 23, 2006 8:50 PM

I can't believe I've forgotten and I don't know where to look in the archives, what's with the NoDoz and where did they come from?

(I'd contribute something in the legacy of the "TORE A DUDE'S FACE OFF!", but seriously, we're beyond that now. The whole fight itself has become one seamless experience that, to truly convey, would require a page of all-caps and the noble sacrifice of uncountable exclamation marks.)

Comment from: Logan Ingalls [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at March 23, 2006 9:08 PM

The interface was bad and the wiki software was buggy. So long, Dokuwiki, hello Mediawiki. It now looks Standard Wiki, but I'm working on re-customizing it. Time.

Comment from: Steven Orr [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at March 23, 2006 9:35 PM

Is it weird that I want to write my own stuff in The Great Outdoor Fight world?

Logan, I like the idea. Hope to see it keepin on rollin'. And I hope to go play soon.

Comment from: Steven Orr [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at March 23, 2006 9:37 PM

william: http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=03022006

Check the receipt. Check the table.

And then a solid, "Woah."

Comment from: Dan Severn [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at March 23, 2006 11:21 PM

I added an entry for "Buck Faast."

Lots of fun. I'm going to have to clean it up and make it look better later on.

Comment from: Prodigal [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at March 23, 2006 11:51 PM

Dude. Ray TORE THE FIGHT'S FACE OFF.

Comment from: Ford Dent [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at March 24, 2006 1:16 AM

Ray fought the Fight.

And Ray won.

Comment from: Nich [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at March 24, 2006 1:56 AM

I just submitted an entry for Fight-Bot, the 1986 champion. This is fun!

Comment from: Alexis Christoforides [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at March 24, 2006 5:15 AM

Oh come on, you mean to tell me that Fight winner Rufus is NOT Rufus the Stunt Bum? Inconceivable!

Comment from: J.(Channing)Wells [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at March 24, 2006 8:33 AM

Amusingly enough, nobody seems to be able to decide whether these are cats, or humans, or what. This is, of course, perfectly in the spirit of Achewood, where mis-sized props appear with alarming regularity and nobody really seems certain exactly what's going on in the big picture of things, least of all Mr. Onstad, beyond his vague proclamations of "Okay, there's a bunch of animals, robots and plush toys living underground somewhere in California."

I would never have the courage.

Comment from: Mike Russell [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at March 24, 2006 1:26 PM

Reading the GOF story arc has reminded me of something Cintra Wilson observed about Tenacious D: "The comedic faux-egomania of the D has now been mixed so liberally with their actual worldly success that it's a joke that's no longer a joke."

It strikes me that Chris Onstad set out to goof on spaghetti Westerns and overcooked mythological machismo with this story arc -- but he's now (inadvertently?) created something that is resonating with fans, at least in part, as actual mythology.

I mean, there's a Wiki. People want to participate in this story.

Onstad sort of flirted with this merging of goof and genuine dramatikalness with the "kidnapping of Philippe" and "Cartilage Head" storylines. But the GOF atom bomb leaves me wondering what he's making of the fan reaction -- and if it's grappling with unintended consequences.

Comment from: Ford Dent [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at March 24, 2006 1:28 PM

This has the same spirit as Penny Arcades Elemenstor Saga wiki, which I've forgotten the address to.

Comment from: Alexis Christoforides [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at March 24, 2006 1:39 PM

And now I can't stop thinking about a Great Outdoor Fight movie directed by Quentin Tarantino.

Ford Dent - http://elothtes.pbwiki.com/

Google is your friend!

Comment from: S. Ben Melhuish [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at March 24, 2006 2:11 PM

The Great Outdoor Fight wiki notes that Achewood's reach has skyrocketed since the start of the Fight. Interesting to see some numbers to back up the sense we've had that readership has increased.

Comment from: Doublemint [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at March 24, 2006 6:31 PM

I added 1936's "Sammie Logue". Weeeee!

Comment from: Alan Sharkey [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at March 24, 2006 7:02 PM

Brad Sweden, we hardly knew ye.

Comment from: Logan Ingalls [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at March 24, 2006 7:34 PM

You guys are hard-core. 350 edits on 75 new articles in 24 hours? Hooray for wiki! I couldn't have done such a massive job (not to mention the quality) so quickly. I should have set this up weeks ago.

Comment from: Dan Severn [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at March 24, 2006 7:58 PM

No, I think you started at the perfect time. The storyline, at least the GOF part, seems to be winding down. Now we can jump in and fill in the blanks.

I think the wiki works better for a creative endeavor like this. I've written on two of the champions so far, and each time I've tried to tie it in with other fights.

Comment from: JoeFF85 [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at March 24, 2006 8:05 PM

I was looking around on the GOF Wiki and I noticed that the picture of 2003 GOF Champion Vance "Chicken" Eggbert looks very very familiar.

It seems Eric entered and won the Great Outdoor Fight under a pseudonym. Sweet.

Comment from: BassetKing [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at March 24, 2006 8:23 PM

Yeah, that was me, with Mr. Eggbert.

Who was I to resist the siren's call of including our favorite critical analysist into the annals and history of the fight.

Comment from: Wednesday White [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at March 24, 2006 8:28 PM

Don't get me wrong. I'm all over the whole My Boyfriend Djinned All Over The Fight thing, but...

How come there are all these humans being listed? (Are these person-hulls?) My understanding had always been that the Fight was an Underground event, and pretty much a cat thing to boot.

Comment from: BassetKing [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at March 24, 2006 8:30 PM

The fight's bigger than any one species, Weds.

Anyone who feels the burning desire to kick ass was born to be in the Great Outdoor Fight.

Comment from: Alan Sharkey [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at March 24, 2006 8:50 PM

Well, if it's an all-species thing, then we're seeing grown men come to compete with toy bears.

And get beaten.

Which is the most awesome thing ever.

Comment from: Wednesday White [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at March 24, 2006 9:03 PM

Anyone who feels the burning desire to kick ass

I should point out it's gender-restrictive, too.

Comment from: Dan Severn [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at March 24, 2006 9:07 PM

I'm assuming that humans are a rare, but not completely-unheard-of part of the fight.

Note that RUFUS is human, but clearly not the sort to blow the whistle on the Underground. And "Eggbert" is, well, a high-school guidance counselor. He's likely to be misunderstood.

But Alan has it-- when Ishihiro Yagi can be the champion against all comers, well, that's just awesome.

Comment from: Alan Sharkey [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at March 24, 2006 9:19 PM

Ishihiro Yagi was a dude in no uncertain terms, but Lowell Carmichael tore his own head off. That counts for something.

My personal favourite remains Victor Shaw. The man fights dirty, but dirty like a fox.

Comment from: Dan Severn [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at March 24, 2006 9:33 PM

What's really fascinating to me is how certain time periods are gaining their own flavor. The Nineteen Sixties are likely the heyday of the Fight, capped off by Rodney Leonard Stubbs in 73.

My favorite character that I didn't write is "Young" Jude Surrency.

Comment from: JoeFF85 [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at March 24, 2006 9:49 PM

Weds, women are allowed to compete. If you look at the entry for Shirley Randolf (Champion, 1891) you can see that she was barred from entry not due to gender but because she was Irish.

Comment from: Wednesday White [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at March 24, 2006 9:53 PM

That seems inconsistent with the motto.

Ah well. Out of my hands. (Not that it was ever in my hands, but, well. Inconsistency bugs me.)

Comment from: Dan Severn [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at March 24, 2006 9:58 PM

Well, of the "3000 men," the vast majority probably are men.

Comment from: BassetKing [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at March 24, 2006 10:07 PM

And god help the men from the women that DO make it into the fight.

Comment from: BassetKing [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at March 24, 2006 10:32 PM

Also, were he still alive, I would buy "Young" Jude Surrency a bottle of Christian Brothers.

Comment from: BassetKing [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at March 24, 2006 11:01 PM

>_>

*Flees*

Comment from: Thomas Blight [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at March 25, 2006 12:44 AM

Hmm. Maybe I'll write a bit. Probably not though.

So, what was the fight like, Wednesday? Or should I say, Antonia Pery?

Comment from: Thomas Blight [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at March 25, 2006 12:48 AM

Also apparently Eric is now Vance Eggbert

I see we're having lots of fun with this.

Comment from: Alan Sharkey [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at March 25, 2006 5:34 AM

Yeah, I love how it's gaining a mythology of its' own, although I'd put the "Golden Age" from the mid-60's to the mid-70's, myself. Whilst The Man With The Blood On His Hands is certainly the peak, you can't eliminate Turner, Yagi or Judas from the greats.

Also, it's great how Young Jude Surrency seems to pop up almost everywhere, which you would expect from a long association with the fight.

Comment from: JoeFF85 [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at March 25, 2006 11:10 AM

Surrency is probably the most charismatic of the figures related to the fight. The man was an institution of the fight, an elder statesman, and a bastion of the spirit of the fight, even to the point of resisting progress to maintain what he saw as the true spirit.

And his quotes are funny as hell, too.

Comment from: Alan Sharkey [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at March 25, 2006 4:32 PM

I don't think that "3,000 men" is inconsistent with the use of women, in the sense that in our own marvellous gender-biased way, "men" can refer to "persons" or "people". But "persons" or "people" just doesn't have the same ring as "men".

Comment from: J.(Channing)Wells [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at March 25, 2006 4:44 PM

What baffles me is that, given the context, y'all didn't choose a different picture for Antonia Pery, to wit, Blood-Soaked Catgirl Wednesday.

;)

Comment from: Luggage [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at March 25, 2006 6:53 PM

I love the idea that "The Man with the Blood on his Hands" derives from something Surrency said.

(Even if I do say so myself.)

Comment from: kellandros [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at March 28, 2006 1:34 PM

My small contribution. Figured more popular culture should intersect the Great Outdoor Fight.

Comment from: Doublemint [TypeKey Profile Page] posted at April 12, 2006 11:31 AM

Normally I'm not one to revive old threads, but a persistent vandal is erasing hundreds of articles in the wiki and replacing them with homophonic and racial slurs. A *lot* of the original content has been disrupted. If you wrote for this project, we could use your help.