« Um. | Main | NIKOLAI VOLKOFF THINKS YOU ARE A BEARDO »

Eric: Glorious day!

It's 11:30 on Day Two. I'm about to head down to Blogging for Writers at noon. After that, at 1, there is The Cerebus Syndrome: Can Funny Comics Become Serious? which is followed at 2 by The Best Webcomics You're Not Reading. That clears my schedule until 5, when we have Blogging as an Artistic Medium, which is not to be confused with Blogging for Writers. Finally, at 8 PM tonight, we will have Webcomics Criticism: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, of which I figure I know nothing.

The convention is extremely cool so far. There are extremely cool people. Kelly Cooper is extremely cool, as she always is. Jeph Jacques is not only as extremely cool as I recall, but also just as tall. And Robert Balder, who I just met for the first time, is... well, extremely cool. Later today, I'll be seeing Alexander Danner. See above: cool.

So... cool. I need to go get coffee.

Posted by Eric Burns-White at January 14, 2006 11:37 AM

Comments

Comment from: miyaa posted at January 14, 2006 11:56 AM

Eric, that sounds less like webcomic panels and more like the advanced curriculum for the School of Snark. Probably located at some prestigious location like Oxford or New Haven or where there is a distinquished scotch brewery.

Comment from: Paul Gadzikowski posted at January 14, 2006 12:17 PM

Or at least a distinguished Scot.

Comment from: Tangent posted at January 14, 2006 12:55 PM

Hope you're having fun, Eric.

Rob H.

Comment from: David Morgan-Mar posted at January 14, 2006 4:55 PM

Say hi to Kelly for me. (I flew a kite with her at Princeton back in '92.)

(Er, and no, that's not a euphemism, you deviants.)

Comment from: Phil Kahn posted at January 14, 2006 5:53 PM

Ah, you've met The Rob. I think of him as Convetion Dionysus.

Comment from: Suzanne posted at January 14, 2006 8:20 PM

MMMMM, Robert Balder.
Lucky you.

Comment from: Tangent posted at January 15, 2006 4:15 AM

Don't suppose you'll be posting transcripts or podcasts of the panels for those of us who can't afford it (or whose cars won't survive the trip down)?

Rob H.

Comment from: William_G posted at January 15, 2006 6:19 AM

Or at least a distinguished Scot.

"ACH! YEE CALL DAT A WEBCOMIC LADDY? ME GRANNY KIN DU BETTER DAN THAT AN SHE'S DED! ACH!"

Comment from: Doug posted at January 15, 2006 10:10 AM

Awae wi' ye, lowlander!

"Ach! Ye callit that a webcomic, laddy? Me Gran cou'd dew be'er 'an that, ane she's daed!"

Though I personally prefer Brooklynese, as heard among the rustic natives of the quaint, picturesque village of Sheepshead Bay:

"Ya call dat a webcomic? P'feh! I gotcha webcomic- hangin'!"

Besides, Robby Burns wouldn't last a minute there if a serious bout of criticism broke out, especially if it was the post-modernists.

Comment from: William_G posted at January 15, 2006 11:43 AM

Now who says James Doohan is dead?

Comment from: Brendan posted at January 15, 2006 5:23 PM

Hmm...I am now imagining Eric, Robert Howard, and Jeff Lowery staring at each other in a graveyard for two minutes while an angelic chorus leads an orchestra...

Comment from: Mario posted at January 15, 2006 5:51 PM

Great bumping into you at the con, Eric. It's always fun to meet people I've corresponded/collaborated with online.

Frighteningly, if the A in Robert A Howard stands for Alyn, that means that there are TWO former co-writers of mine on this thread. :)

Comment from: zamphir posted at January 15, 2006 8:58 PM

Um.

If you're going to go to the trouble to feature me in your homoerotic necrophiliac fantasies...

It seems only polite to spell my last name correctly.

Thanks!

Comment from: Brendan posted at January 15, 2006 10:32 PM

...

You've never seen that movie, have you?

(It's from an old Western. There's a somewhat memorable scene of three characters staring each other down in a graveyard for five minutes...I said two because that's how long it is from when they stop pacing.)

Comment from: Tangent posted at January 15, 2006 11:46 PM

Mario: Close. Allyn.

Comment from: Tangent posted at January 16, 2006 1:26 AM

Which makes me wonder if you're the Mario from GMAST-L and the stories were those superhero stories. Back when I had Wolf PACT as part of the Marvel universe instead of making my own universe...

Rob H.

Comment from: Dan Severn posted at January 16, 2006 3:44 AM

I can't believe no one has said it yet.

O frabjous day! Calloo, Callay!

Comment from: zamphir posted at January 16, 2006 8:56 AM

So...

It's a homoerotic necrophiliac Western fantasy?

Comment from: Mario posted at January 16, 2006 9:32 AM

That's me, Rob... or should I say Traveller? We worked on some of the Stonegrip stories together too. :)

Comment from: larksilver posted at January 16, 2006 11:33 AM

It's a Small World after all, (singing)
It's a Small World aaafter all,
It's a Small World aaaaafer all,
It's a Small, smaaaaaaall wooooorld.

(runs. Hides. giggles)

Comment from: Tangent posted at January 16, 2006 1:47 PM

It is a small world. Heh. I'd forgotten about the Stonegrip Keep stories. Or rather that they'd been called that... I always thought of them as the "Atilla the Hobbit" stories. *chuckle* (and THAT is going to cause a massive tangent on this blog chat *grin*) My God... that was back in 1988, before there even WAS a World Wide Web. (Yes, Blogworld, the Geezers are out in force tonight! *grin*)

Rather than bore everyone to tears here, feel free to e-mail me. You can catch me at Looniewolf at Hotmail. com (trying to evade spambots there).

Hope things are going well for you. :)

Robert A. Howard, Tangents Webcomic Reviews

Comment from: Mario posted at January 16, 2006 2:42 PM

So far, so good. Getting back into the writing game. More in e-mail, eventually. :)

Comment from: quiller posted at January 16, 2006 3:19 PM

Hmm, I want to see Dave Sim show up to a panel on the Cerebus syndrome. I think it would be ... interesting.

Comment from: Alexis Christoforides posted at January 16, 2006 6:28 PM

Not really, Dave Sim is by most accounts a very reasonable and easy-going man in person, at least since his change of lifestyle. But I wonder if he's aware of the term, and whether he agrees with it.

Comment from: Paul Gadzikowski posted at January 16, 2006 10:31 PM

Why wouldn't he? Wouldn't it be a bigger concern if Delta Burke showed up at the panel?

Comment from: gwalla posted at January 16, 2006 11:36 PM

Damn you, larksilver. Now I can't get that blasted song out of my head.