« I'm torn between a serene "here's some news that might interest you" and "OMGWTFLOLBBQ" for a title to this post. I think I'll just go with "wow." | Main | "...and so I caused the Fall of Man and exiled humanity from Eden forever. Still think getting high is *cool?*" »

Eric: One Websnark related side note on the last post!

One quick, necessary bit of business, regarding Modern Tales and my new job.

As I said last post, submissions for Modern Tales are not currently open. They will be, soon, but they're not, yet.

When they're opened, there will be a specific procedure to follow. That'll be the only way to submit, to keep my sanity somewhere close to the "sane" side.

Preemptively, I have to ask folks not to use Websnark to... well, try and submit things. Or "call my attention to them." Et al. I know some folks will want to, because... well, because for a year and a half, I've seen what they've done to attract a snarking. ;)

So, I'm not going to consider submissions right now. When I do, they'll have to go by the system we put in place. Please don't use my Livejournal or private mail to do end-runs around the system.

And I'm going to officially change the rules over here, slightly. (For just about the first time, I'd add.) Use of Websnark comments to lobby submissions/recruitment for Modern Tales is officially Out of Bounds.

Plus, it would annoy everyone else to no end, and how exactly would that dispose me to accept your strip, hmmmm?

Thanks, guys.

EDIT: I've had an e-mail request to post those submissions guidelines here on Websnark when they become available. That'll be an exception to the "not a Modern Tales info site" rule, but since I'm putting a specific rule against using Websnark to lobby, it seems fair that when we have a methodology we will let folks here know how to use it.

Posted by Eric Burns-White at December 30, 2005 5:37 PM

Comments

Comment from: Kristofer Straub posted at December 30, 2005 5:40 PM

* Biscuit recipients exempt.

That said, I've got this GREAT NEW PROJECT you'll love!

Comment from: RKMilholland posted at December 30, 2005 5:42 PM

Fine! I didn't wanna submit anything to your smelly Modern Tales anyway!

*runs off crying

Comment from: Reinder Dijkhuis posted at December 30, 2005 6:04 PM

Damn. There goes my entire marketing strategy for Q1, 2006. And I'm not even interested in rejoining Modern Tales...

Comment from: Alex Jeffries posted at December 30, 2005 6:25 PM

Did someone already say they didn't want to submit something?

Dern. That's what I wanted to do. Stop stealing my clever ideas, people!

Comment from: neongrey posted at December 30, 2005 6:32 PM

So, how will this affect 'hey, have you read x yet, it's awesome' comments?

It'd be sadly pretty easy to turn questions like that into veiled hey-consider-this things.

Comment from: 32_footsteps posted at December 30, 2005 6:42 PM

Well, I would suppose as long as you don't have any personal or business connection to the artist in question, it's perfectly fine to recommend comics, still.

My only suggestion is to make the submission guidelines their own FAQ linked to from Websnark's front page. Not that people have a habit of actually reading the FAQ, of course...

Comment from: Tangent posted at December 30, 2005 7:58 PM

And there goes my method of finding new strips to tangent for 2006. *sigh* Guess I'll have to start trolling the ComicGenesis forums again... well, once I go through the list of possibles put on the P2P forums for my perusal... *shiftyeyes*

Rob H.

Comment from: lucastds posted at December 30, 2005 8:00 PM

32footsteps... he didn't say we weren't allowed to use the forums to plug comics... just to plug them for the purpose of getting them into MT. At least, that's how I readit.

Comment from: Robert Hutchinson posted at December 30, 2005 8:47 PM

(reads wording carefully)

Drat. Looks like we can't lobby against, either. :)

Comment from: kirabug posted at December 30, 2005 9:26 PM

I just want to say up front that I respect anyone organized enough to even consider a submission into something as robust as Modern Tales. My comic is purely hobby status and will likely never be at that level of quality -- so even if you (folks) aren't accepted, you're well ahead of me. :)

Comment from: Tyck posted at December 30, 2005 9:30 PM

I wonder if this will make Eric "notable" enough for Wikipedia? (Putting down the fireplace poker now.)

Anyway, cool. Eric gets to live in Interesting Times..may they not be too interesting, and may he change Modern Tales into something that makes us all feel secretly guilty we're not giving money in tribute to the sheer shining awesomeness of it. Maybe somebody out there is doing a webcomic featuring Chuck Norris.

Comment from: Eric Burns posted at December 30, 2005 9:54 PM

Too late. ;)

Comment from: gwalla posted at December 30, 2005 10:23 PM

I imagine it will be more important for mentions of other comics to be related to the topic of discussion at hand. "BTW, this comic is awesome!" probably won't cut it anymore.

Comment from: 32_footsteps posted at December 30, 2005 11:37 PM

And Eric's personal Wikipedia entry has been up for several months too. It's not bad if you can earn one. Though really, even just having a Wikipedia mention is a neat thing.

Though by mentioning Interesting Times, seems almost like Tyck is pitying Eric, in a way. At least, nobody ever uses that phrase in my earshot without some pity involved.

Though I think I figured out the *real* reason Eric is so psyched about this position - he's in it for advance readership of Narbonic. Yeah, you know it's true.

Comment from: Tyck posted at December 30, 2005 11:47 PM

Was it the capitals that gave it away, or the followup phrases? It'd be..slighly incorrect to say pity, I think; more accurately, Eric seems to be developing a task list that I personally suspect I'd collapse under. So naturally I figure it must either be weighing or will weigh on him in a similar fashion. Self-centered perception for the win, what? The sentiment I meant was, of course, best of luck.

And that's quite a nice Wiki entry there.

Comment from: Tyck posted at December 30, 2005 11:56 PM

For lack of edit, a double post: Siwangmu said basically the same thing I meant in the other thread, much more concisely:

Also, DUDE! Yay for Eric! But, uh, don't you have, like, three full-time jobs now? Not counting boyfriending, cat ownership, etc.?

Now waiting for "Like a ninja at a pirate convention" to become the next tagline.

Comment from: Tangent posted at December 31, 2005 12:19 AM

It's kinda cool. There are five different Robert Howards there. :D One of whom is a wrestler!

And yes, I always intended on capitalizing on the stupid people out there who see the name "Robert Howard" on a novel and think "Oh cool, the guy who wrote Conan the Barbarian has something else out!" without realizing that Robert A. Howard and Robert E. Howard are two different people.

And yes, I've had people ask me (on-line) if I was *the* Robert Howard.

*rolls eyes*

Robert A. Howard. Note the A please. ;)

Comment from: Bo Lindbergh posted at December 31, 2005 8:18 AM

Roberta Howard? Wasn't she the one who wrote those perverted time travel romance novels?

Comment from: Abby L. posted at December 31, 2005 8:39 AM

Awesome. Reading Eric's entry makes me feel like a stalker.

So, does this also prohibit cookie bouquets and festive baskets of biscuits from being sent to Eric's house for the express purpose of buttering him up? Because if so, all of these cookies will go to waste.

(although I can't recall if cookies are an edible thing for Mr. Burns at this point...)

Comment from: Wednesday White posted at December 31, 2005 12:19 PM

Stalking is off limits. So are cookies, along with any other item high in sugar and fat. (People with reasonable low-carb cookie recipes should send them along to me, of course, but not if they comprise some sort of bribe by proxy.)

(Yes, I know you were kidding. I'm also not prepared to take this lightly.)

Comment from: Eric Burns posted at December 31, 2005 12:28 PM

Hah HAH! Cookies on dowels!

Comment from: Abby L. posted at December 31, 2005 7:45 PM

The cookies are more low-carb than the dowels... is that good?

Comment from: Adrean posted at January 1, 2006 2:28 AM

They're delicious until the first bite...

Comment from: miyaa posted at January 1, 2006 2:58 AM

Robert A. Howard, be glad that a) no one thinks you're the animated writer for the defunct Dave the Barbarian Disney series or b) people just started to call you Bob.

My mother gave me fat-free, sugar free fruitcake cookies, all 10 pounds of it after the Christmas. No one else in the family would dare to eat it. They're so hard and tiny, I could kill ninjas with them! Ninjas I say!

Eric & Joey: Two things that really annoys me about Modern Tales at the present time. 1) The only comic that I am interested in reading full time is Narbonic. Maybe that "Swedish Elf-Life" strip (as I am calling it, I am not going to attempt to type out the proper name on the account I know I am going to misspell it badly) on the off-chance. 2) For some reason I can not understand, Paypal won't let me 'pay' for a renewal subscription or a new subscription to Modern Tales.

Comment from: Reinder Dijkhuis posted at January 1, 2006 3:42 PM

I've got a sneaking suspicion that 'that "Swedish Elf-Life"' refers to my comic although it's not Swedish and the influence of Elf Life on it is only slight. Does it?

Comment from: Carson Fire posted at January 6, 2006 11:11 AM

Also, the guy who did Elf Life *is* Swedish. Well, Swedish-American, anyway. That's why he's such a goofy dope.