« On Best of Lists and the bread that is short | Main | Meanwhile, Kestrel is washing her hair. »

Eric: It seems to be Comic Genesis week. I'm not sure why. I guess they're just rocking, this week.

20051208

(From Candi! Click on the thumbnail for full sized distrust!)

Long time readers know I don't always have something deep to say when I snark a given strip. This is one of those days.

I mean, I like Candi. It's a relatively recent strip for me, but I like it.

Today just hit me perfectly, though. I've had this conversation. A lot. There's a certain number of people I know who, whenever you pay them an unqualified compliment, automatically assume the worst. Not just that you're not being forthright enough. That there must be something sinister going on here.

So, yeah. Um... cool. Good strip today.

Posted by Eric Burns-White at December 8, 2005 9:56 AM

Comments

Comment from: TasteMyHouse posted at December 8, 2005 10:47 AM

I find its best to immediately follow up with a qualified compliment, one that leaves no room for misunderstanding... which often leads to complete mistrust of you and all future assessments of anything, because in their mind "there's no way that i'm good at art / writing / pretty / archery / cowpoking / horse...wrangling / fire.......putteringout...."

/imagines someone who is extremely good at pretty
//first post!

Comment from: jason posted at December 8, 2005 11:05 AM

Wow, a trio of Genesis toonists in a week.

Good lord man, the forums over there have erupted in Chaos! CHAOS!

Comment from: Egarwaen posted at December 8, 2005 11:05 AM

It's also kind of amusing that her professor's (*) primary criteria for something being "good" is whether or not he likes it.

Especially in light of Eric's post before this one.

(*) - Well, I think that's her professor. Candi's a great strip, but sometimes a few of the characters do look a little on the similar side.

Comment from: Eric Burns posted at December 8, 2005 11:09 AM

Good lord man, the forums over there have erupted in Chaos! CHAOS!

You know, DJ Coffman can sow the seeds of chaos and fire through insults.

But I can do it through being nice.

And he's above me on the list of Troublemakers? Hah! I say again! HAH!

Comment from: 32_footsteps posted at December 8, 2005 11:34 AM

This strip kind of proves my point from the other day. It's competent art, but especially at the beginning, it feels too generic. However, I like how the art is slowly taking cues from other, specific titles (I definitely see some influence in terms of art, stricly, from FLCL).

I give the writing full credit. I mean, this strip is a short but perfect crystallization of what it's like to be in love. That, and it reminds me of something that happened about six months into my relationship.

Finally, Eric, I know your pain. I'm not allowed to like anything "just because" either. It's like I'm always expected to be "on" or something.

Comment from: dreamshade posted at December 8, 2005 11:53 AM

That reminds me of this conversation.

Comment from: Starline posted at December 8, 2005 12:17 PM

Thank you. :)
Glad you like it.

Comment from: gwalla posted at December 8, 2005 1:18 PM

32: I'm not seeing the FLCL influence, really.

Comment from: 32_footsteps posted at December 8, 2005 1:39 PM

It's in some of the poses and the faces, gwalla. Check panel two of the strip currently snarked. That's lifted straight from Haruko in several episodes of FLCL.

Comment from: siwangmu posted at December 8, 2005 1:52 PM

32: "Reminds you very strongly of" is something you can know.

"Lifted straight from" is something which, unless you have secret background info, you can't know.

Comment from: 32_footsteps posted at December 8, 2005 1:57 PM

That's a bit nitpicky, siwangmu. I'm just trying to draw a parallel, not accuse the artist of plagiarism or anything like that. And I'm even being mildly complimentary of it.

No, I don't know for certain. But I feel very confident in saying it, so I did so.

Comment from: Plaid Phantom posted at December 8, 2005 3:33 PM

Mmm. Good snark, Eric.

Comment from: Abby L. posted at December 8, 2005 4:07 PM

Heh. Awesome. I've been liking Candi a lot too, but sometimes it's hard to keep the characters apart. I also just wish Candi would get with that other dude instead of staying with her boyfriend. But one of the things I like about Candi is that it's so close to real life. There's no promising even if she got out of her not-so-perfect relationship with Alex, she'd be even a little happy with Jon. It's a realism that I appreciate.

Comment from: siwangmu posted at December 8, 2005 4:24 PM

Oh! Well, uh, totally my mistake. I must be getting cynical in my lack of old age. I thought you were implying that, you know, the artist had to resort to practically tracing off of the screen for poses/faces, instead if "ooh, drawing an interesting stylistic influence from X."

In short, oops. Thanks for correcting me.

Comment from: John Lynch posted at December 8, 2005 5:13 PM

I liked this comic because in the past Candi's art teachers have always hated what she did. So it was amusing to see Candi being confused by an art teacher who liked what she did.

Comment from: Egarwaen posted at December 8, 2005 6:37 PM

True, but it does look like it's building towards her getting out of her relationship with Alex.

Because, really... He's an ass.

Comment from: WaveLine posted at December 8, 2005 7:03 PM

Not exactly the same, but similair to a great QC quote from this comic.

"Spontaneous kindness is to hipsters as high beams are to deer."

Comment from: Robert Hutchinson posted at December 8, 2005 9:53 PM

(Mean Old Man post time!)

I'm afraid the strip was spoiled for me by (what I presume is) a typo in the second panel: leaving out the word "you". My brain switched gears from "joke about taking criticism" to "joke having something to do with language", and it never went back. Sigh.

Comment from: Buzzfloyd posted at December 9, 2005 4:37 AM

The typo threw me off too. Typos always ruin comics for me by jerking me out of the narrative flow. It especially irks me when they come from people who make their living from webcomics (naming no names...) - they ought to be more careful.

I also found the facial expressions a bit hard to read (maybe because I have so little manga experience?) - for example, the professor in the last panel. What is he looking at? Does he have a problem with his eyes? Or do I have a problem with mine?

Comment from: STrRedwolf posted at December 9, 2005 5:17 PM

Geesh, Eric. First you highlight three CG artists and their comics, and now Starline here gets 'Spotted.

Comment from: Eric Burns posted at December 9, 2005 5:23 PM

And that has nothing at all to do with her art, her skill, her consistency or her cheerful disposition, and everything to do with me! I AM A GOLDEN GOD OF WEBCOMICS!

(Seriously -- congratulations Starline!)

Comment from: Axonite posted at December 9, 2005 5:38 PM

So the acid's kicked in and you're about to jump off the roof into the pool?

(Congratulations Starline!)

Comment from: 32_footsteps posted at December 9, 2005 7:29 PM

And afterwards, Fairuza Balk will run into a cement pylon while reminding everyone to call their mothers?