« Nanowrimo -- since it's been a little while. | Main | You know, I have no real interest in a 3D logo.... »

Eric: Okay, I admit it. I'm worried.

The last time I snarked on this subject, I did so prematurely.

However, this time... I don't think I'm being premature.

It is 10:11 PM, Eastern Standard Time. As of this moment, neither Superosity nor Sore Thumbs have updated. At this rate, in a few hours Chris Crosby will wash out of the Daily Grind.

And I'm worried.

I'm worried because Chris Crosby updates. He updates with a regularity that's almost frightening. He updates the way some folks check their e-mail in the morning. I don't know if he's got a backlog or not, normally, but he certainly turns out a drawn strip every day.

The other Keenstrips I read updated. Well, most of them. But the others I don't expect to update with a certainty approaching religious faith. But Chris Crosby updates. Chris Crosby updates.

And I worry.

I worry because Crosby's been up front about his weight, which he has a considerable problem with -- a problem he's tried to deal with many times before. And I've been there, and I know the health problems that are attendant with it. Even after I've lost a hundred and eighty pounds -- or, you know, a professional baseball player -- I'm sick way, way too often for my own comfort.

And I worry, because I've been there.

It's weird. It really is. When Scott Kurtz -- who I know considerably better than I do Chris Crosby -- is late with an update, I think "man, he must be going nuts right now." When Shaenon Garrity -- who's just as regular in her updates as Chris Crosby is -- is late for any reason, I figure "oh, stuff must have come up."

But Chris Crosby missing an update feels... wrong. This shouldn't be. This is Chris Crosby. He doesn't miss updates. He doesn't miss updates.

And I realize it's almost certainly no big deal. There's a technical problem. Or a power outage in South Dakota. Or life has come up.

I can't explain why it makes me squirrelly. But it does, and I'm there right now.

It's now 10:27. Neither Superosity nor Sore Thumbs have updated.

What the Hell?

Posted by Eric Burns-White at November 28, 2005 10:29 PM

Comments

Comment from: ANT Link posted at November 28, 2005 10:41 PM

What the hell indeed. I don't have a bad feeling about Crosby's health like you do, but as a regular reader of both strips (thanks to this site, natch) I also can't help but wonder what's up. Hope everything is alright.

Comment from: Montykins posted at November 28, 2005 10:42 PM

Actually, I think he can use his Sunday Superosity as his Monday update, can't he? Since the Daily Grind only requires five days a week, and he has updated since Friday. My reading of the rules is that he has until Tuesday evening. It's still worrying, though.

Comment from: Axonite posted at November 28, 2005 10:43 PM

Power outages in SD maybe?

Comment from: Axonite posted at November 28, 2005 10:47 PM

(Would have made more sense if I had finished that before hitting post...) There are news reports of power outages there due to the weather, so that seems like a likely reason.

Comment from: Eric Burns posted at November 28, 2005 10:48 PM

Montykins -- that's a point, yeah. I think. Actually, I have no idea. But if it were up to me, that would be a resounding yes. Because I'm like that.

Comment from: Dave Van Domelen posted at November 28, 2005 10:50 PM

Monty: Well, it's not so much "Oh dear, he'll drop out of Iron Man" as it is "Crosby not updating? Next you'll tell me the Sun won't be rising tomorrow! Something must be wrong...."

Comment from: bobulus posted at November 28, 2005 10:54 PM

I'm sure it's just weather. Do a GoogleNews search for North Dakota and you'll see that large areas are without power today. No need to worry.

Comment from: Eric Burns posted at November 28, 2005 10:59 PM

Wait. Chris Crosby is trapped in a haunted schoolhouse in South Dakota with now power, and you say there's no need to worry? Dude, haven't you seen this movie?

(Yes, I am relieved.)

Comment from: Eric Burns posted at November 28, 2005 11:00 PM

Er, no power.

Comment from: Paul Gadzikowski posted at November 28, 2005 11:30 PM

Of course if it happens the judges will have to rule. But I asked about this on the Grind message board early on, and the statement made then was that what is done on the weekends by those who update seven times a week is outside the Grind and outside the rules. Crosby must have an update dated Monday in his archives by 23:59 Monday PST to stay in the Grind.

Jesus. Crosby?

Comment from: djcoffman posted at November 28, 2005 11:32 PM

Come ooooooooon BIG MONEY!

I kid, I kid.

I'm sure he's fine. I'm touched that you're worried about him like this, which I'm sure he will be as well.

Comment from: djcoffman posted at November 28, 2005 11:37 PM

Actually-- there was a HUGE blizzard that went through there and fucked shit up bad-- http://www.keloland.com/News/NewsDetail5440.cfm?Id=0,44259

OH I HOPE THIS STORM STOPS YOU CHRIS CROSBY! MUHAHAHAHAHHA---

Steve Troop... you and me, 2069 buddy!

Comment from: matthewabel posted at November 28, 2005 11:39 PM

I, too, was worrried. It's nice to know a bit about what's going on.

Oh, I've never posted here before. Should probably say something...I like the blog? That's all you're getting.

Comment from: djcoffman posted at November 29, 2005 12:03 AM

Its midnight on the east coast, so he has until 3am to get his comic up.... that'd be a shame if he went out like that. Fucking mother nature.

Comment from: Montykins posted at November 29, 2005 12:07 AM

If I had bet on the Daily Grind, I would have laid my money on Crosby. The man's a machine!

Comment from: John Lynch posted at November 29, 2005 12:16 AM

I thought things realistically outside of the person's control (like keenspace going down as it is prone to do) allowed people some leniency? I think it sucks that a state getting a loss of power gets you kicked out. But I guess if them's the rules, them's the rules. I just thought there was some leniency.

Comment from: miyaa posted at November 29, 2005 12:17 AM

That would explain why he's able to update like clockwork. He's in South Dakota. I've been in South Dakota. Great if you're into the whole ESPN Outdoors kind of lifestyle (or if you're just a loony travel nut like I am. I'd probably find traveling through the Sahara fascinating while others are thinking it's God's version of a Litter Box.). Lousy if you're expecting to find urban civilization or a girlfriend there.

By the way, you're missing the really big news. Faye is about to explain why she can't fall in love with Marten. This oughta be good.

Comment from: Montykins posted at November 29, 2005 12:44 AM

That would be nice of them, but the Daily Grind has rules like "Computer meltdown? Hit by a car? Better luck next round."

Comment from: Archon Divinus posted at November 29, 2005 12:59 AM

And the QC thing is only the second best thing to happen today in webcomicston (in my opinion anyway). Todays Order of the Stick was insanely awesome.

Comment from: Polychrome posted at November 29, 2005 1:23 AM

My money's on Jenny Breeden. She's young enough to outlive the rest of the competion.

Comment from: Ford Dent posted at November 29, 2005 1:38 AM

I'm going to admit, I'm awaiting each new QC now with the same sort of crack addict's attitude with which I read the end of IW.

Only slightly less because it's not the end, per se.

Comment from: Steve Troop posted at November 29, 2005 2:28 AM

I hope Chris is okay as well.

My money's on Guigar. I'm consistently amazed when people predict me in the final four. I'll be Munsoned out of this sooner or later. ;)

Comment from: Ghastly posted at November 29, 2005 2:41 AM

Talked to Chris several days ago. Seemed fine then.

Comment from: BassetKing posted at November 29, 2005 2:59 AM

As of this posting, it is 3:00 AM EST.

Neither strip has updated.

Chris Crosby is, apparently, out of The Daily Grind.

Comment from: Tice with a J posted at November 29, 2005 7:37 AM

Chris Crossby out of the grind...this might last years instead of decades. IF Chris hadn't been forcibly ejected, we'd have had to wait until the fall of western civilization shut down the internet.

Comment from: Tice with a J posted at November 29, 2005 7:39 AM

Whoops. I said "Crossby" instead of "Crosby", although if Chris does get tossed out on a technicality, Crossby might be appropriate.

Comment from: 32_footsteps posted at November 29, 2005 8:25 AM

Wait, QC is actually finally getting around to talking about one character's motivations? Before 2010? There goes another bet I've lost.

As for the Daily Grind... well, everyone knew it was to be merciless before it all started. Crosby had to be ready for something like this.

Comment from: Eric Burns posted at November 29, 2005 11:46 AM

That doesn't change the fact that it's 11:46 the next day, and still no updates.

Are the power outages still ongoing?

I'm serious. I'm worried, here.

Comment from: kamagurka posted at November 29, 2005 11:57 AM

Archon Divinus: You are absolutely right. OotS completely made my day.

Btw, is Howard Tayler in the Grind? That man wouldn't miss an update, like, ever.

Comment from: Remus Shepherd posted at November 29, 2005 12:12 PM

Parts of South Dakota got upwards of 20 inches of snow, with 40 mph winds blowing it into incredible drifts. Something like 50,000 homes are without power and have been powerless since Monday morning.

I don't know where in SD Chris is, but yeah, he's probably without power. I just hope he has heat.

Comment from: Paul Gadzikowski posted at November 29, 2005 12:17 PM

Let me speak up now on behalf of anyone and everyone who is also humanly concerned but doesn't really know him and hasn't any news to add.

No, Tayler isn't in the Grind. After Crosby I suppose the big names left are Wright, Troop, R. Smith, Guigar, Coffman, and Breeden.

Comment from: Clint H posted at November 29, 2005 12:19 PM

All the Keenspotters worry about Chris. Darren and Nate might be the Nuts and bolts that hold the collective together, but Chris is the enthusiasm that goes off on great inspirational tangents. (and of course, Teri is the love)

I hope it's just the weather. It is freakin' South Dakota...

Comment from: Paul Gadzikowski posted at November 29, 2005 12:34 PM

Here's something interesting. When I Googled power cresbard, the sixth result - headlined Sore Thumbs Blog - included the page excerpt, "I wasn't able to upload today's strip because of a massive storm causing a power outage (17 hours and counting) in Cresbard, South Dakota. ..." But when I click on the result link, the excerpted entry doesn't show up on the page - the latest entry showing up is dated the 26th.

But it means he was okay as of - at a guess - twenty hours ago, which more'n I knew before.

Comment from: Mathron posted at November 29, 2005 1:18 PM

I think that entry was from a power outage in July... so no resolution as of yet. :/

Comment from: Bo Lindbergh posted at November 29, 2005 1:38 PM

Cresbard, South Dakota. Population 143. Unlikely to be high on the power company's list of priorities.

Comment from: Scott Kurtz posted at November 29, 2005 2:12 PM

He's fine. He's just snowed in.

He's out of the grind though.

Comment from: Doctor Setebos posted at November 29, 2005 2:25 PM

You're right, I just did the same thing.

I guess that means he's okay?

Comment from: Paul Gadzikowski posted at November 29, 2005 2:37 PM

You're right, I just did the same thing.

I guess that means he's okay?

Uh, no. Mathron is right. If you search the page, you see that the blog entry excerpted in the search results is from last summer.

Comment from: Vannav posted at November 29, 2005 6:18 PM

Yeah, there's a news post on Superosity saying he's snowed in. Not exactly a "phew!" moment, because he'll be without heat for another 3 days, but he'll be okay.

Comment from: J.A.K posted at November 29, 2005 6:19 PM

Gav's just posted on Superosity, Chris is snowed in, and will reportedly be without power for three more days. That seems to imply he's fine.

Comment from: Darren Bleuel posted at November 29, 2005 7:17 PM

They only just today got their phone service back and I talked to Teri on the phone a few hours ago. Apparently, it's so cold, power lines are just snapping all over the place. The whole town is without power. And they are unfortunately without heat.

This confused me because I thought their school had a boiler room. Well, it does, but the fuel it took doubled in price last year, so they bought some kind of heating system that burns corn.

In websnark writing style: You heard me. It. Burns. Corn! ;)

But there's a weird drawback to this system I don't quite understand. This corn-burning heater needs electricity to operate. It. Needs. Electricity! To. Burn. Corn!

What kind of crazy high-tech backwater world do they live in?

Comment from: Tangent posted at November 29, 2005 7:33 PM

That's not surprising. I know of quite a few heating systems that require electricity in order to operate. In fact, the one that my parents had that didn't require electricity was the coal furnace, and that was Rob-operated (ie, I shovelled coal into it and ash out of the bottom).

Though I'll say this... that coal furnace would keep the FLOORS warm. You could walk around in bare feet in the middle of winter with warm tootsies. :D

Rob H.

P.S. - Glad to hear Chris is doing okay though. :) Rob

Comment from: gwalla posted at November 29, 2005 9:14 PM

Yeah, the gas heater in my house uses an electrical ignition instead of a pilot light (which is a lot safer█it can't blow out and fill our basement with combustible gas).

Comment from: STrRedwolf posted at November 30, 2005 9:56 PM

Darren, does this mean we have to thaw Chris out when they get power back on?

Hope they have a generator (or planning one).

Comment from: J.A.K posted at December 1, 2005 1:58 PM

He's updated, but the Iron Man thing's still on his site, and he didn't comment on being out of it... and the Iron Man site's not working for me. Anyone know anything more?

Comment from: Paul Gadzikowski posted at December 1, 2005 2:14 PM

Ed Brisson removed Crosby (And another contestant who also failed to update Monday. He just forgot.) from the Daily Grind challengers list earlier this week. Possible reasons for Crosby not removing his Grind icon include (1) He forgot he was in the contest (2) The icon doesn't specify that he's a current contestant, only a "participant", so he's still entitled to it (3) He and/or Ed would rather the link remain, for the publicity.