« Waiting for the atomoxetine. | Main | Okay, I admit it. I'm worried. »

Eric: Nanowrimo -- since it's been a little while.

2005 Nanowrimo Winner Iconb

So. In case you were wondering, The Recluse continues apace.

As of tonight, according to the Nanowrimo official word counting machine, I have fifty-three thousand and sixty-six words.

This isn't true, according to my own program. It says I have fifty thousand, seven hundred and five words.

Either way, I totally win. Hah. I say again, hah.

And it doesn't suck. Seriously. On this side of the fifty thousand, I'm thinking that with enough editing and rewriting and filling out, I can make my deadline. No later than February 28, this thing's going in the mail. By Summer, it's entirely possible both Baen and Tor will have had a chance to reject me.

For the moment, I'm excited. Hell, I'm thrilled. Many, many people announce intentions in Week One. Not so many mention it in Week Four. And though I won last year, I wasn't happy with the story last year. I got it done, but that's all I can say for it. However, this time, it all feels like it worked the way it's supposed to.

And yet... the thing is?

The book isn't done.

I have... I dunno. 10 to 15 thousand more words to write on it.

Tonight, I'm a winner.

But tomorrow, we go into extra innings.

Peace, all. You get more of my brain moving forward.

Posted by Eric Burns-White at November 27, 2005 9:27 PM

Comments

Comment from: Wednesday White posted at November 27, 2005 9:33 PM

Kludge will point out that he beat you to wordcount, which he did. That said:

MY BOYFRIEND WINS THE INTERNET

Comment from: Archon Divinus posted at November 27, 2005 9:40 PM

Congratulations man. I only worked on my novel for about a week before I got too bogged down with school stuff to continue. But next year is going to be different (or it may be exactly the same. I'm not psycic).

Comment from: thelemurgod posted at November 27, 2005 9:41 PM

Congratulations to you, sir.
You deserve sweet, sweet rewards.

Comment from: Aulayan posted at November 27, 2005 10:05 PM

All I can do is add my own to what others have said.

Congratulations man, that is so totally delicious.

Comment from: Lilamrta posted at November 27, 2005 11:01 PM

Cool.

When I told my boyfriend that I was going to try to write a novel in a month, he said, I bet you don't make it to 5000 words. Sadly enough, he's winning: current word count is approximately 4000. But I've still got a couple of days. I'll show him....

Congratulations, Mr. Burns. When it's on the shelf at Borders I'll buy a copy.

Comment from: EsotericWombat posted at November 27, 2005 11:15 PM

win, then go into extra innings?

Improper use of metaphor-- five yard penalty and a loss of down

Aside from that, congrats.

Comment from: lucastds posted at November 27, 2005 11:17 PM

i used to write novels when i was a kid.

now i only write comics.

Comment from: Ford Dent posted at November 27, 2005 11:50 PM

I fell off the pace wagon. Hard.

But this is still the most I've ever written, and I'm not quite done yet.

So hopefully I'll still make it to 50k, but that's a big hope.

Now that I've bitched about my own wordcount, congratulations on reaching 50k! I'll be looking for your book.

Comment from: J.A.K posted at November 28, 2005 12:17 AM

Congratulations: All two of the people I know who started doing it seem to have stopped some time back. Can't wait to read some more than the brief samples you've given.

Comment from: larksilver posted at November 28, 2005 12:18 AM

uhm. what to add? ohyeah. WOOT!

I've been following it, and it completely doesn't suck. No no, it's found far on the map from Suckville. Maybe not even in the same time zone as Suckville.

Comment from: kirabug posted at November 28, 2005 12:36 AM

Congrats, Eric!

I'm at 31,000 and probably going to end up right about there. The alternative is that I write 19000 words tomorrow, and that's not probable. Of course, I was supposed to write 5k a day for the last three, but that also escaped me.

Still, 31,000 is much higher than I've been for a long long time, and other writer friends are coming out of the woodwork and congratulating me.

Comment from: Darth Paradox posted at November 28, 2005 1:25 AM

Congratulations!

We've had a few from our writing groups finish already. I crossed 41K today, so I think I've got a shot at it, but it's gonna take some work.

Comment from: Harry posted at November 28, 2005 1:44 AM

Congrats, man.
Now get it published so I can buy a copy.

Comment from: Harry posted at November 28, 2005 1:44 AM

Oh, and finished.

Probably need to finish it first.

Comment from: Snowspinner posted at November 28, 2005 1:51 AM

Congrats.

I suspect I would do a better job if my day job included less writing. :)

Comment from: Tice with a J posted at November 28, 2005 2:17 AM

MY BOYFRIEND WINS THE INTERNET

Sorry, Wednesday, but Mitch Clem already won it.

Comment from: Dan Severn posted at November 28, 2005 2:45 AM

Perhaps (hah) I am a fool for asking, but will you be self-publishing ala Lulu, or bargaining with the big boys like Baen and Bantam, or what?

Comment from: Aethereal Girl posted at November 28, 2005 5:55 AM

Dude.

My husband knows Teresa Neilsen Hayden personally.

His manuscript has been sitting at Tor for two and a half years.

There is no way in hell you are collecting a rejection from Tor this summer.

If by some chance you do, there is a long line of people who will be more than happy to murder you.

Comment from: Wednesday White posted at November 28, 2005 5:55 AM

Tice: Yeah, he lost it again. Bananaphone is so six months ago. :)

Comment from: Chris "Slarti" Pinard posted at November 28, 2005 7:01 AM

w00t. Congratulations, Eric.

Comment from: Mitch Clem posted at November 28, 2005 9:06 AM

Bananaphone may have passed, but bananarchy will never die. YOU HEAR ME, HUMP-DAY? OUR REVOLUTION WILL NOT BE PEELED!

Comment from: Christopher B. Wright posted at November 28, 2005 9:11 AM

I won't be making it to 50K this year. Oh well. That's what next year is for.

For what it's worth, I hear it takes forever for Tor to get through it's slush pile. I wouldn't know, since I haven't hit them up yet. So far I have a proper rejection letter from DAW and a bunch of polite no's from my friggin' query letter.

Beware the query letter, Eric. It is your doom in a single-page three-to-five-paragraph form.

Comment from: Abby L. posted at November 28, 2005 10:14 AM

Heee. Hooray! But only 10000 more words? Feels like it should be longer. Is this turning into a SERIES?

Comment from: Eric Burns posted at November 28, 2005 10:43 AM

Abby -- this has "book one" written all over it. ;)

Comment from: Eric Burns posted at November 28, 2005 10:44 AM

Christopher -- my letter is going to be a cover letter on top of my nice, thick stack of paper. They can reject me, but they're not going to get the chance to reject me before they see the book in the first place. ;)

Comment from: Will "Scifantasy" Frank posted at November 28, 2005 12:01 PM

I.../really/...don't know if that's a good idea, Eric, flouting protocol like that. I'm given to understand unsolicited complete manuscripts are frowned upon.

Tor's FAQ page (http://www.tor.com/torfaq.html#tor_submissions_guidelines) suggests you send the first three chapters and a synopsis, not the entire book, and...dear me, Baen prefers electronic submission in .rtf format
(http://www.baen.com/FAQS.htm#Manuscript%20Submission%20Guidelines). Please excuse me as I stare in shock.

Comment from: Christopher B. Wright posted at November 28, 2005 12:10 PM

DAW, on the other hand, wants the whole thing with a coverletter. You might try them first. They have a pretty good turnaround time, too.

Comment from: Eric Burns posted at November 28, 2005 12:18 PM

Will -- I'm always going to follow protocol. But I'm not going to submit to places that ask for query letters unless I run out of every other option first.

A query letter is designed to say "here's my book in brief -- do you want to see it?" 99 out of 100 of those will be answered by "no," because the only reason a publisher goes to that system is because they're trying to winnow out their slushpiles to manageable levels. A publisher who's instituted measures like that is less likely to be receptive anyhow.

So, I'm focusing on companies that want the whole kit'n'kaboodle.

Comment from: larksilver posted at November 28, 2005 12:32 PM

I can't imagine, if they read the damn thing, that they wouldn't want it.

Heck, you could just mention that they're pretty well guaranteed to sell, oh, at least as many copies as you have commenters here on websnark. heh.

Comment from: Abby L. posted at November 28, 2005 2:17 PM

I sense the onset of my new favorite book series...

Comment from: Sempiternity posted at November 28, 2005 6:46 PM

Congratulations, most happy! (Now to wish luck with the publishing ;)

Comment from: Clint H posted at November 28, 2005 8:05 PM

Just wanted to congratulate you on your prolific wordsmithing. An 8 page outline damn near killed me.

Comment from: Alex Jeffries posted at November 28, 2005 9:50 PM

I did so well on Nanowrimo that I didn't even have to start...

Comment from: Denyer posted at November 30, 2005 6:56 AM

Speaking of brain movements (and because I seem to recall you get inbox notifications on entries):