« God Shot: Think about it from Ms. Henn's point of view. | Main | Well, crap »

Eric: It is happening in NANAIMO! Er... Nanowrimo!

Nanowrimo

It's November 1, and as stated before, I'm taking another shot at Nanowrimo. I was a winner last year, but was ultimately dissatisfied with the result. (It's still on my edit this until it stops sucking pile, and perhaps I'll do just that one of these days.) However, another year has come, so it's time to dust off the battered underwood icon and start up again.

As stated before, I'm actually working more towards creating a publishable document than simply getting to fifty thousand words, this year. My true goal is to have a manuscript I can put into the mail on February 28, 2006. November is designated as a month where a plurality of the work is written. December is a spillover month for finishing it, and then the rest of December, all of January and all of Feburary is designated for editing, polishing, rewriting and preparing.

(There will be some delays. My birthday is in January. Christmas is in December. Wednesday's going to be in America for several weeks during this. Honestly, there are priorities here.)

Some of you will want to read this as it's being written. And I'm happy to oblige that. However, its going to be put up on a locked website, with appropriate warnings. This is specifically a site designed for writing and editing, not publication. (I may or may not do the Cory Doctorow thing with this on the far end. I dunno. But I'm reserving all options in the meantime.) If you want to be one of the people reading this as it's done, you should send me e-mail at the websnark address asking for instructions on where the page is and how to log in to read it.

If you do so, however, understand something. This is going to be a rough, first draft. It will not be polished, it will not be completed. I less need accurate, honest criticism and suggestions as I need cheerleading, at this stage of the game. The first draft is not a time for critical assessment and new directions. It is a time to get the damn thing writ.

Which doesn't mean, if you are reading that page, that you have to lie in comments. But if you hate it, stop reading it and don't comment, 'k? If you like it, feel free to say so, as said spiritual lift will help.

In December, I will be soliciting the "okay, you've seen what I've written -- tell me where I've fucked up" comments. So there will be a chance.

Danke!

For the record, though I strongly considered the Romance Novel, I decided to go with the pulp novel.

The title?

Enter the Recluse.

So, for those who thought "recluse" for the character name? Give yourself ten bonus points.

Here's where the fun starts.

Posted by Eric Burns-White at November 1, 2005 12:50 PM

Comments

Comment from: Wednesday White posted at November 1, 2005 12:55 PM

The first draft is not a time for critical assessment and new directions.

You have a strange and bizarre working method.

Comment from: TheNintenGenius posted at November 1, 2005 1:03 PM

You have a strange and bizarre working method.

I don't know, I was always under the impression that that was how writing was supposed to be done. I know that if I stop and start thinking too hard in my first draft about what it is I want to say and how I want to say it I end up freezing up and never get what I want to get written, well, written. I've found I have a much higher success rate if I just completely cannonball through the first draft, then wait until the first round of revisions to do any deep thinking/cringing.

Comment from: Cornan posted at November 1, 2005 1:10 PM

I actually don't edit first drafts heavily either while they're in production. I just write out what I've got to write out and get it done. THEN I go back through and edit. I find that if I edit in progress then I never get anywhere and end up on the first page for weeks.

Of course, I'm writing Philosophy papers, so maybe this really doesn't work so hot for fiction. Don't know.

Comment from: Connor Moran posted at November 1, 2005 1:15 PM

There are as many writing methods as there are writers, of course, but the plurality of writers I know (myself included) are like Eric when it comes to the purpose of a first draft.

Comment from: Wednesday White posted at November 1, 2005 1:26 PM

I've found I have a much higher rate of utter crap. Worse, then I have an entire work of crap that I have to look at and realize is utterly crap, which makes me want to Never [Do a Thing] Again.

I'd rather freeze up completely if the thing's no good to start with, so I have to keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't go there.

Then again, Eric's skilled enough that that won't be a risk.

Comment from: Ray Radlein posted at November 1, 2005 1:28 PM

Just out of curiousity, am I the only person out there who thinks that NaNoWriMo sounds like it should be the name of a pack of Tines?

Comment from: JSW posted at November 1, 2005 1:29 PM

Recluse, eh? Didn't see that one coming. I'm kinda glad that you didn't go with my guess, though, since it means I can use the name myself without being accused of copying you.

Comment from: S. Ferrari posted at November 1, 2005 1:31 PM

Buttering your boy up, are you Ms. Wednesday. You know flattery will get you...er...well I don't quite know what. ;-)

Good luck Eric, and I hope you get what you want out of this run at the thing. I'm participating for the first time at the encouragement of a friend. We'll see if we get anywhere with this thing.

Comment from: S. Ferrari posted at November 1, 2005 1:33 PM

By the by, I could be an utter and complete idiot, but I can't find the email address where I would mail to get the link for reading as you go. Help?

Comment from: Eric Burns posted at November 1, 2005 1:34 PM

Then again, Eric's skilled enough that that won't be a risk.

Maybe, and maybe not. However, Eric's ego is fragile enough that the whole thing can be mercilessly slaughtered unintentionally. So, I know what I can expose myself to and what I can't if I want to, you know, finish the thing.

Comment from: Montykins posted at November 1, 2005 1:39 PM

"Recluse"! That's *perfect*! Well done.

Comment from: Eric Burns posted at November 1, 2005 1:42 PM

S. Ferrari -- websnark AT SYMBOL gmail PERIOD SYMBOL com will work just fine. ;)

Comment from: Andy H. posted at November 1, 2005 1:44 PM

...Not anymore.

Comment from: 32_footsteps posted at November 1, 2005 1:46 PM

I think we showed once again that nobody reads the Frequently Asked Questions and thus will frequently ask the same questions repeatedly. ;)

I'd read along, Eric, but my own NaNoWriMo (which I too believe is a dumb name) project is under way. And seeing as I've never tried to write this much fiction, let alone in this short of a span, I figure I should focus my efforts on it.

That, and I already agreed to read over two other NaNo entrants. I'm wondering when I'll have time for my own.

Comment from: kirabug posted at November 1, 2005 1:47 PM

Okay, I'll bite. Pack of whats? Fork tines?

It's 1:46 pm and I have written absolutely zero in NaNoWriMo so far. But lunch hour is coming...

Comment from: TheNintenGenius posted at November 1, 2005 1:54 PM

I don't know. It seems like every time I've ended up with rough drafts that I thought were really rotten and terrifying and were never worth looking at again, usually people would end up giving them very positive comments. And looking back at them after allowing a few days/weeks worth of time for the "OMG I FUCKING SUCK" feelings to subside, I'd usually think that, while nowhere near perfect maybe, they certainly weren't as bad as I initially thought and just needed work. But as has been said earlier in this thread, different writers, different methods.

Comment from: Paul Gadzikowski posted at November 1, 2005 1:54 PM

I can't remember whether I guessed The Recluse or not. I remember being certain you'd given it away for us in the previous paragaph if we'd only look, and reclusive is the last word of that paragraph. But after all this time I don't recall beyond a shadow of a doubt whether I actually thought, "The Recluse". I bet I did, but oh well.

Me, the writing's the hard part, and going back afterwards to fiddle with it is the fun part. (That'll be why I like writing fanfiction and other derivative stuff - the hard part's already done.) I think I've said this here before. Prolly last November.

Comment from: Ray Radlein posted at November 1, 2005 2:25 PM

Okay, I'll bite. Pack of whats? Fork tines?

Minor SPOILER Alert for A Fire Upon the Deep:

The Tines are vaguely canine aliens in Vernor Vinge's A Fire Upon the Deep who posess a group sentience in packs of (typically) four to six individuals (more than six, and the babble and crosstalk of each others' thoughts becomes too great; less than four, and there's just not enough combined intelligence).

Comment from: Paul Gadzikowski posted at November 1, 2005 2:30 PM

I bet I did, but oh well.

I retract that. What I do remember is that no one else guessed what I guessed, but looking back I see several people did guess The Recluse; so I must have guessed wrong. Oh well.

Say, if a nanowrimo is 50,000 words how long's a wrimo?

Comment from: Suzanne posted at November 1, 2005 2:43 PM

Does this mean you won't be doing NaDruWriNi: National Drunk Writing Night ( http://abroad-abroad.org/index.php/2005/10/09/blogging-while-intoxicated/ ) or WriAShorStorWe: Write A Short Story Week ( http://www.defectiveyeti.com/archives/001469.html )?

I may just take you up on your offer to let us read because I'm more a reader and less a writer (evidenced by the lack of comments on your blog, despite the fact that I read every entry unless I'm grappling with some rather strong alcohol).

Comment from: Eric Burns posted at November 1, 2005 2:55 PM

Weds has gone on the record as our NaDruWriNi representative, this year. ;)

Comment from: Christopher B. Wright posted at November 1, 2005 3:12 PM

Good luck Eric! The trick is to find other insane people doing the same thing that you can complain with/use as scapegoats when you're suffering from writer's block.

Comment from: Adrean posted at November 1, 2005 3:25 PM

I'd go for National Mini-Comic Creation Month! :)

Comment from: rikchik posted at November 1, 2005 3:26 PM

Paul, a wrimo would be 50 trillion words. Good luck with that.

Comment from: Matt Sweeney posted at November 1, 2005 3:39 PM

or WriAShorStorWe: Write A Short Story Week

I took a creative writing course one summer. It involved having to write a complete short story a week for about four or five weeks.

I failed the class.

Comment from: Darth Paradox posted at November 1, 2005 3:48 PM

NaNoWriMo and NaDruWriNi are not mutually exclusive... and if you're writing a frame tale, WriAShorStorWe is possible to fit in there as well.

I'll be doing at least the first two.

Comment from: Wednesday White posted at November 1, 2005 4:28 PM

Weds has gone on the record as our NaDruWriNi representative, this year. ;)

Translation: OMG SOUL CALIBUR

Comment from: Robert Hutchinson posted at November 1, 2005 6:17 PM

Computer accessory. Or as Mr. Vanston would call it, "Nanowrimo".

(It's hard to type after bowling. My letters are hooking.)

Comment from: sqbr posted at November 1, 2005 7:41 PM

Again, minor SPOILER Alert for A Fire Upon the Deep:

To finish off the description of tines: each individual tine has a one-ish syllable name, and the name of the pack is then the concatenation of all the names. So Na No Wri and Mo would be one pack, and if No and Mo wander off, and Dru and Ni join up, we have NaDruWriNi :)

Also, Fire Upon the Deep is a fantastic book you should all read. *hopes she got the layout right*

Comment from: RKMilholland posted at November 1, 2005 7:50 PM

What sort of fool would waste time on this?!

*hides his entry*

Comment from: Eric Burns posted at November 1, 2005 7:56 PM

*innocent whistle*

Comment from: gothfru posted at November 1, 2005 9:19 PM

NANAIMO

owie owie owie. work and websnark collide.

Nanaimo Med Center is a client.

aieee!

Comment from: Arujei posted at November 1, 2005 9:39 PM

I am an old reader, and a new commenter. I read the excerpts you put up last year for Trigger Man, and I really liked them. And so now I really want to read the pulp novel.

So Good Luck!

Comment from: larksilver posted at November 1, 2005 10:49 PM

Oooooh I'm a printaholic. I must have the words. Maybe I'll send that e-mail. 'course, if you tell me you'd rather I not, as I have no cred... well, I'll pout. But still read here, cause, as mentioned, I'm addicted to the words. Gotta have my fix, man. Gotta.

Oh, and:

I read Tires there.. and it made perfect sense to me.

Comment from: Tangent posted at November 1, 2005 11:16 PM

I'm seriously thinking of joining in. Not that I think that writing an entire novel in a month (forced) is a good thing. But I'm almost out of pre-written material for "Alone" and this would easily give me half a year's worth of rough draft to polish into the fanfic I'm writing...

Robert A. Howard, Tangents Webcomic Reviews

Comment from: Ray Radlein posted at November 2, 2005 1:48 AM

Also, Fire Upon the Deep is a fantastic book you should all read.

I have suddenly become overwhelmed by the fear that Weds will come to believe that I am chasing her around the internets with A Fire Upon the Deep references, given that she queried me about this SFBlog post of mine back in April, at a time in the Golden Past when a silence of less than ten days between posts on SFBlog was a Shock Horror.

Come to think of it, the September Slogan for SFBlog was "Hexapodia is Our Key Insight," yet another AFUtD reference. Goodness. Maybe I am chasing her around the web with Vinge references, like the trained cockroaches and the lurking synthetic a priori proposition that pursued the scientists of the Orinoco Institute in John T. Sladek's "Elephant with Wooden Leg." Eeep.

Oh well. At least it's not Consider Phlebas, eh?

Comment from: sqbr posted at November 2, 2005 4:37 AM

Only if she thinks we're the same person, which seems unlikely :) Although....we are both saggitarii... Hmm. Coincidence? Or something more sinister?!

Actually, since I upset Wednesday with like my second post I've been a little paranoid. It would be just typical of my antitact for me to do it again with like my 6th!

Comment from: Daerv posted at November 2, 2005 10:30 AM

Recluse? Lord Recluse? City Of Villains fan-fic? :)

Comment from: Wednesday White posted at November 2, 2005 11:45 AM

Gosh, if this keeps up, I'm never gonna get to read aFUtD!

Oh well. At least it's not Consider Phlebas, eh?

Thank Christ it's not Consider Phlebas. Eurgh.

Comment from: Ray Radlein posted at November 2, 2005 1:01 PM

Gosh, if this keeps up, I'm never gonna get to read aFUtD!

I don't know: At this rate, according to my calculations, by the year 2153 I will have posted the entire book in your presence. All you'll have to do then is rearrange all of the snippets in the correct order, and you will have read it.

Comment from: Eric Burns posted at November 2, 2005 2:47 PM

Recluse? Lord Recluse? City Of Villains fan-fic? :)

Very very clearly not. ;)

Comment from: Eric Burns posted at November 2, 2005 2:51 PM

And for those playing along at home, today's entries have gone in, too.