« Very, very briefly... | Main | Dogs form a good flying wedge. »

Wednesday: It is coming. From Nanaimo.

Look, I didn't mean to desert you. I do still like you. I do.

But, suddenly, I either couldn't sleep or I was sleeping all the time. I'm serious; there'd be spaces of 24, 25 hours awake, then three hours asleep, and then insomnia. This makes stringing words together a bit awkward.

Then, there was the doctor's visit. And the other doctor's visit. And the lying in bed on painkillers, because ow, and then the insomnia. In me, insomnia begets insomnia. I turn into Scott McCloud, in that I can't stop thinking.

Then I sort of turned thirty. It wasn't intentional. You'll understand, of course, if I had to go out for a while when that happened.

Honestly, I didn't mean to turn thirty.

Anyhow. The net result? I've had a decent amount of sleep for a five-day period, but over fourteen of them. You didn't want to read what was going through my head at the 25.5 hour mark the other day. Trust me. It involved complaining about nonconfidence motions and, well, giggling.

Ki is being worked on. You'll get to read more about that soon.

But, right now, because the doorbell kept ringing today, and things have not yet been recovered from properly, there need to be pills and a dark room real, real soon now. Just for a few hours. It's not you. I swear. It wasn't your fault.

Let me just go season this brisket (this is England; we don't have a Thanksgiving) and take the coedine-laced alkaseltzer, and I will be with you in ... cooooooolours.

Posted by Wednesday Burns-White at November 23, 2005 2:56 PM

Comments

Comment from: Lyndon W posted at November 23, 2005 3:11 PM

Is this turning thirty thing a recent occurrence?

Comment from: Dragonmuncher posted at November 23, 2005 3:14 PM

I was just discussing that lack of a holiday this morning with my friend, who is studying abroad in Newcastle.

He told me that there's no Thanksgiving, and that Halloween isn't really a big deal.

Shocked and amazed, I demanded to know what existed to break up the tedium between Easter and Christmas, seeing as that there's no Independence Day over there. Or maybe you guys celebrate the day you finally got rid of us- yet another example of my cultural ignorance. I'm not even considering the people who don't celebrate Christmas and Easter.

I also told him to investigate what a "figgy pudding" was, and to report back his findings.

I'm of the opinion that every month should have at least one holiday in it. (August is my birthday, for those of you trying to figure out what to look forward to then)

So does Merry Old England have anything to take the place of the large, turkey-sized hole in your November (or Mid October, in Canada's case) calendars?

Comment from: Danalog posted at November 23, 2005 3:16 PM

I have the same insomnia problem, I really hate it... Spent 3 years on various medications for it before I gave up, and tried lifestyle changes instead, and just dealt.

Except for Xanax

wonderful calming Xanax....

Comment from: Duff the Tragic Wagon posted at November 23, 2005 4:08 PM

Dragonmuncher: Well, we have November 5th (known variously as Guy Fawkes Night, Bonfire Night, or Random Loud Noises Week), which actually lasts about a week. Or longer.

I assume it's rather like Independence Day in that there are fireworks, except it's too cold to actually go outside and watch them. And people get burned in effigy. And quite a lot of people get drunk and accidentally set themselves on fire.

It seems less a celebration of anything in particular (A king who lived too long ago to be really relevant didn't get blown up. So we celebrate by blowing things up. And burning the perpetrators in effigy) than an excuse to revel in mankind's basic pyromaniac urges.

I have no idea what a figgy pudding is, though.

Comment from: HydrogenGuy posted at November 23, 2005 4:10 PM

I'm intrigued by the title. What is it? Nanaimo bars? Diana Krall? Ferry food?

Comment from: Thomas Blight posted at November 23, 2005 4:37 PM

I fail to find the relevance of the town of Nanaimo, British Columbia in this post.

That said, insomnia sucks. It only plagues me for a few hours at a time but I just can't stop thinking!

My parents told me that you just "shut your brain off" when I told them I was having trouble sleeping. I replied that my brain switch had been welded in the on position.

Nonconfidence motions are pretty funny. Especially when Steven (is it Steven or Stephen?) Harper is delivering them. I mean, he's got to be the most boring man on the planet.

Comment from: Darth Paradox posted at November 23, 2005 4:41 PM

For that matter, what the hell is "treacle"? It's always put me in mind of "tentacles" and "barnacles" by nature of the similarity of the words, but I've gathered that that's not really correct.

Comment from: Duff the Tragic Wagon posted at November 23, 2005 5:02 PM

Come to think of it, what the hell is treacle? I think it's made from burnt sugar.

In any case, it's the consistency of golden syrup, but black (or really dark brown), and tastes infinitely strange. I wouldn't recommend eating it straight from the jar. Treacle toffee makes it all worth it, though.

Man, I'm just full of useless trivia tonight.

Comment from: Meagen Image posted at November 23, 2005 5:27 PM

*sniff* You never pay any attention to me anymore. It's always some lame excuse like "I was busy talking to the woman of my dreams" or "I had to write for NaNoWriMo" or "My health deteriorated and I had to be medicated". Just admit it, you don't love me anymore.

On a more serious note, the CoH comics have been made available on the website via PDF, so I could see what all the fuss was about. I kinda liked them, but then, I've had little to no exposure to American comics so I don't have much comparision material. (Funnily enough, I did browse Watchmen at a comic shop when I was like 14, and it left me the distinct impression that American comics are gritty, bloody and very serious stuff and I don't like them that much.)

I'm much more knowledgable about Franco-belgian comics, though. Ask me how Tome&Janry ruined Spirou et Fantasio sometime.

Comment from: quiller posted at November 23, 2005 5:28 PM

Most people tend to think turning 30 is preferable to the alternative. They may wish they could put off the choice, but you know, when the time comes.

As a guy, I was kind of psyched to turn 30. A lot of girls seem to think you are magically more mature if you are in your 30's rather than your 20's. Turning 35 was the depressing one for me.

Comment from: Dan Severn posted at November 23, 2005 6:00 PM

Most of what I write is either after two days without sleep, or comes to me in dreams.

Then again, most of what I write is really weird.

Comment from: Ray Radlein posted at November 23, 2005 6:04 PM

I just assumed that Nanaimo stood for "National Naked I Month," where one spends the entire month naked and talking like a Horta.

Comment from: Clint H posted at November 23, 2005 7:50 PM

I take melatonin for sleepless night. It gives me some respite from insomnia.

Comment from: Trevor Barrie posted at November 23, 2005 7:56 PM

The fun thing about Guy Falkes day was that the conspiracy celebrated was a Catholic conspiracy against a Protestant king, and I'm told that there's still at least one town in England where they still burn the Pope in effigy as part of the holiday.

Comment from: Abby L. posted at November 23, 2005 9:28 PM

I'm having lack-of-sleep problems today... It's always a pain the first day you have to sleep in the afternoon before a night shift... And even worse so since right now I'm trying to get used to a full-face mask for my CPAP... >_I'm having lack-of-sleep problems today... It's always a pain the first day you have to sleep in the afternoon before a night shift... And even worse so since right now I'm trying to get used to a full-face mask for my CPAP... >_I'm having lack-of-sleep problems today... It's always a pain the first day you have to sleep in the afternoon before a night shift... And even worse so since right now I'm trying to get used to a full-face mask for my CPAP... >_I'm having lack-of-sleep problems today... It's always a pain the first day you have to sleep in the afternoon before a night shift... And even worse so since right now I'm trying to get used to a full-face mask for my CPAP... >_

Comment from: Archon Divinus posted at November 23, 2005 10:03 PM

Every couple of weeks, I seem to get really insomniatic, and then a couple days later I'm fine again. It doesn't really bother if it happens on the weekend (when I'm up till 3 anyway), but during the week, its a real pain.

Thing is, I kinda enjoy all the thinking I do when I'm insomniatic. Its only when I'm to tired to function the next day that it sucks.

Comment from: gwalla posted at November 24, 2005 12:44 AM

Treacle is molasses. It's what's left after processing raw sugar into white sugar.

Meagen: Actually, Wednesday posted this one.

Comment from: Wednesday White posted at November 24, 2005 1:41 AM

"I was busy talking to the woman of my dreams"

Well, look, you know how it is. You spend months and months getting to know someone online, and you find you hit it off a lot better than you were expecting. It can be a bit problematic when you actually get over there and it turns out you're actually falling for a woman named Erica Alfrieda with a massive free testosterone imbalance, but we don't let little things like cryptolesbianism get in the way of true love. Besides, everyone knows there aren't any actual men on the Internet; they're all women hiding behind screen names. So I expected that.

Comment from: Robert Hutchinson posted at November 24, 2005 2:15 AM

I've heard that coed-ine works wonders for a testosterone imbalance.

(From my cold, dead hands, the recurring typo joke.)

Comment from: Wednesday White posted at November 24, 2005 5:00 AM

Next trick: can you pun about the effects of metformin on hormone profiles?

Comment from: Alan Sharkey posted at November 24, 2005 5:09 AM

Hey, if Halloween is supposedly "not that big a deal", what was I doing on that day dressed as Father Ted, watching the Rocky Horror Picture Show, and then passing out on a couch on the middle of a side street after befriending some French people after drinking too much Guinness?

Does that count for nothing?

Comment from: Wednesday White posted at November 24, 2005 5:13 AM

Dude, from what I understand, that's, like, 80% of goth club nights over here.

Comment from: SeanH posted at November 24, 2005 5:32 AM

The last time I was at a goth night club over here, we watched the Magic Roundabout movie. They had it on a big screen.

I don't know either.

Comment from: lostandthedamned posted at November 24, 2005 5:59 AM

My grandmother makes Figgy Pudding each year. It's a bit like Christmas Pudding but tastier.
There's an Americanised recipe here http://www.cooksrecipes.com/dessert/figgy-pudding-with-custard-sauce-recipe.html

As for other holidays we do get Bank Holidays which are a free monday off of work. After Easter There's one for May Day, one for the end of May(don't know the reason for it though) and one on the closest August Monday to the 31st. Thats the last public holiay through to Christmas. I think in the end we have as many holiday days off as America but not as spread out through the year.

Comment from: Alan Sharkey posted at November 24, 2005 6:19 AM

That's simply not true, Wednesday.

Normally you'd meet Australians.

Comment from: Lyndon W posted at November 24, 2005 9:21 AM

Us Australians have a weird way of permeating things despite our low population.

Comment from: Meagen Image posted at November 24, 2005 10:32 AM

Curse your similar writing styles!!

Comment from: Paul Gadzikowski posted at November 24, 2005 10:40 AM

What were you on before, one of those nostrils-only tubes? In my sleep study they made me wear that thing most of the night even though my mouth kept popping open. Finally they put a full mask on me for the last couple of hours. Then when the equipment supplier came in to the picture it deveoped that the study people had recommended for me the nostril tube. I used it one night; my mouth kept popping open. I use a full mask now.

Comment from: Archon Divinus posted at November 24, 2005 2:02 PM

Ya know Meagen, I don't think Weds and Eric really have very similar writing styles at all.

Comment from: Meagen Image posted at November 24, 2005 2:24 PM

Curse my inability to distinguish their writing styles, then.

Comment from: Thomas Blight posted at November 24, 2005 11:49 PM

And also your inability to read titles, apparently.

Comment from: Wednesday White posted at November 24, 2005 11:54 PM

Watch the tone, Thomas.

Comment from: Robert Hutchinson posted at November 25, 2005 1:21 AM

Next trick: can you pun about the effects of metformin on hormone profiles?

Not without legal action from the estate of Will Rogers.

(I believe I have taken Wednesday's posts for Eric's twice, and once vice versa. One of you needs purple blinking text.)

Comment from: Aufero posted at November 25, 2005 2:32 AM

A glucophage some call Metformin
is used to keep blood sugar normin',
If you watch your B12,
and your androgens shelve
then you won't need to worry the corpsman.

*cough*

Sorry. Apparently my brain was set to "awful limerick about meds." Bad poetry is my personal curse when I'm sleepless.

Comment from: Archon Divinus posted at November 25, 2005 3:12 AM

It looks like I'm having some of that aforementioned insomnia right now. Joy.

Comment from: iopgod posted at November 25, 2005 4:42 AM

Technically, Bonfire night (week, etc.) isnt even a holiday; just a evening (week, etc.) of blowing things up, after which you still have to go in to work the next day...

Comment from: footyfoot posted at November 25, 2005 10:14 AM

"cryptolesbianism"- Is that sort of like Cryptofascism, but just with better toys?

Comment from: Paul Gadzikowski posted at November 25, 2005 11:44 AM

If it's limericks we're doing, this one was written by the family at Thanksgiving dinner:

There was a small horse named Winston
Who decided to go to Princeton.
He took all the courses
That aren't meant for horses,
And turned other horses against him.

Comment from: Alan Sharkey posted at November 25, 2005 12:41 PM

I think it's more like Cryptomarxism, except the dialectic doesn't go both ways.

Comment from: Ray Radlein posted at November 25, 2005 5:24 PM

Cryptolesbianism is a place where lesbian ghosts (you know, like on Hex) hang out, of course.

Comment from: Thomas Blight posted at November 25, 2005 5:40 PM

Watch the tone, Thomas.

Sorry. I didn't mean it to be harsh, but it's not my intention that matters. Now that I reread it, it was pretty accusatory.

Comment from: LurkerWithout posted at November 25, 2005 9:11 PM

There are tv shows about lesbianism and the supernatural? I so live in the wrong country...

Comment from: quiller posted at November 26, 2005 3:38 PM

Robert H
Asking a webmistress to use a blink tag to distinguish items may not be taken well...

Comment from: Robert Hutchinson posted at November 27, 2005 2:42 AM

Blink tags? Perish the thought! Those aren't fully supported. No, we need Javascript. Or maybe Flash.