« Comics Nation -- no news here. | Main | On Scumworlds, Ecosystems and Textual Whores: Thoughts on Star Trek: Worlds »

Eric: In Nomine Core Rules e-Book!

I've been devoting enough time and energy to my fixation on City of Heroes that I've wholly let my fixation with In Nomine lapse. Thankfully, the good folks at Steve Jackson Games have news that flares it into fullest fruition!

Next month, the first of the electronic expansions of the Superiors line, with In Nomine Superiors: Lilith. Lilith is one of those who's enough of an exception to the rules (almost too much so, really) that an expansion is both a good idea and a core necessity, and this should be a very good thing.

But more to the point... and a much, much bigger deal, is the announcement that the In Nomine core rules -- which is to say, In Nomine itself -- will be published in electronic format next month. For the many years I've been playing this game I've been jonesing for an electronic copy that can live on my hard drive, and now it will be done. Further, it lets me indulge in my secret plans to use In Nomine to take over the world evangelize the game to the fullest. I've had to pull back on being evangelical, since the rules have been out of print. Now, with them available online (and likely at a lower price) it becomes easier.

I'm as excited as... a... large... excited person... in front of a computer.

Look, it's been a busy day.

Posted by Eric Burns-White at October 27, 2005 2:42 PM

Comments

Comment from: J.(Channing)Wells posted at October 27, 2005 3:11 PM

*peers at your second-to-last line with a penlight*

Yup. That's a classic case of simile exhaustion right there. Don't worry, it happens to all of us at times. Sometimes when I'm in the thick of it myself my language resembles... something with... no, it's like a barrel that used to be full of a lot of different kinds of cool things but now there's only weird and broken stuff at the bottom that I have to reach in really far to get and risk falling in. Or something.

Yup.

Anyhow, good news on "In Nomine". I've been meaning to get a hold of this game for a while now, and I won't pretend that the strength of your recommendation hasn't been an influencing factor.

Comment from: GG posted at October 27, 2005 3:30 PM

This is great news indeed. Lilith is one of the Superiors I've always wanted to see given the expanded writeup (though, not as much as Asmodeus, I'll grant you).

Also, would it be brown-nosing to express a profound fondness for Superiors 4? It's my favorite book in the IN line.

Comment from: NthDegree256 posted at October 27, 2005 3:42 PM

Now if only they could do that for the Star Wars Roleplaying Game books. Virtually every sourcebook outside of the core rules is out of print and runs for >$100 on eBay, but the licensing deal WotC has from Lucasfilms prevents any electronic releases.

::sigh::

Comment from: Arachnid posted at October 27, 2005 4:18 PM

Excellent. I've wanted to try it after your evangelising, but then I discovered the core rulebook was out of print and more or less gave up. Now there's a chance again!

Comment from: Padre posted at October 27, 2005 4:26 PM

Oh hell yes.

I've been waiting for this ever since you first intoduced me to In Nomine, Eric. I cam ewithin a hair's breadth of getting the books shipped in from America, too.

Here's hoping some of the savings will be passed on to the consumer in the electronic publishing format...

Comment from: Bork posted at October 27, 2005 5:07 PM

Okay, here's the thing. I went out and bought a copy of the In Nomine book at a used bookstore, and frankly, I thought it was terrible. The game mechanics were overly simplistic, the flavor text was badly written, the illustrations were simply awful (though, admittedly, that's not a big deal. I didn't buy it to look at the pictures). While the Superiors were reasonably well fleshed out, God and the Devil each received about five sentences worth of description. Five sentences. Seriously.

The worst problem though, was that no one in the game has any motivation for doing anything. Heaven and Hell are fighting a war, okay, sure. what are they fighting over? Souls? Aetheric territory? How does one side know if it's gaining the upper hand and what happens then? Angels and Demons seem almost incapable of actually harming each other, so what's the point anyway?

So, my question is, is this just a "your mileage may vary" thing? Or do I have an older, more crappy edition, or do I need a supplement? You guys, and you particularly, Mr. Burns, seem to really enjoy the game, and I have a great deal of respect for your opinions; so what am I missing?

Comment from: Steven E. Ehrbar posted at October 27, 2005 5:14 PM

Padre --

Authentic Thaumaturgy was released at 66% of paper price; GURPS Atlantis was released at 56% of paper price; GURPS China was released at 65% of last paper price.

It seems quite likely that In Nomine will be offered at a discount of one-third or more off the paper MSRP.

Comment from: GG posted at October 27, 2005 5:15 PM

Well, for my money, God and the Devil intentionally don't receive airtime. They're enigmas even to the Celestials that serve them. God hasn't been heard from since he pulled Uriel into Heaven (assuming I remember correctly) and Lucifer spends most of his time being inscrutable in the Lower Hells where even Princes fear to tread.

And the "what are they fighting for" is debated by all parties to the conflict, even among those on the same side. Some Superiors want to force the issue and wage open war, others like to work in the shadows, and some would be perfectly happy if the Final Trumpet never sounded.

Part of In Nomine's charm is the Canonical Areas of Doubt and Uncertainty. Things the game just DOESN'T fill in, so you and yours have to do the math to your own satisfaction. It's in the exploration of the gray areas.

Comment from: Bork posted at October 27, 2005 5:20 PM

Ineffable, inscrutable . . . I can respect that. But my characters are left sitting around filled with existential angst over their seemingly meaningless actions.

Comment from: Merus posted at October 27, 2005 6:43 PM

Which is when they switch sides or start defending humanity. This is a role-playing game, and the GM is your enemy to be screwed with.

Comment from: Wednesday White posted at October 27, 2005 6:47 PM

Lilith!

Wow, my grin is pasted on. Yay.

Comment from: Chris Anthony posted at October 27, 2005 6:58 PM

Bork: Yes, this is a Your Mileage May Vary situation.

Comment from: Amadan posted at October 27, 2005 9:07 PM

Well, I'd be happier if the first e23 Superiors release wasn't the Line Editor's personal Mary Sue, but still, at least there is movement on the IN line. Maybe now I'll get around to finishing the Uriel/Purity Crusade proposal I ran by the e23 managing editor awhile ago.

GG: Feel free to brown-nose about how wonderful Superiors 4 was. ;)

Comment from: Elizabeth McCoy posted at October 27, 2005 9:17 PM

If it had been up to me, Eli would have been the first, for numerous reasons including that he doesn't have even a partial expansion. It wasn't up to me.

Comment from: Eric Burns posted at October 27, 2005 9:22 PM

Eli's coming -- hide your heart girl!

That's okay! I'm sure Litheroy Eli will be second.

(The power of Revelation commands y-- well, all right, actually, it just reveals stuff. Damn truth...)

Comment from: Eric Burns posted at October 27, 2005 9:23 PM

Wait -- since when does Strikethru not work. Time to look at the allowed codes list again...

Comment from: Doc posted at October 27, 2005 9:53 PM

I heard about this game on Websnark and other places, I've been lurking on messageboards and devouring all the fan write ups I can find for about a year now, two months ago I finally buy the core rules as well as gmg, apg, ipg and cpg off ebay (for a fairly nifty price mind you)and about a week ago I finally got it and started reading it.
So of *course* this happens.
That said... Lilith write up = teh r0xx0r, all the talk of the Civil War on the mailing list is making me (who has very little American history mind you) trying to think up ways to make Lincoln either Geased to Lilith for something major or involved in some plot to give her more power. Then again, Lincoln kind of *sounds* like Lillim, and he did inspire loyalty...

Ah well I shouldn't bitch, pdf's lack new book smell after all.

Comment from: Paul Gadzikowski posted at October 27, 2005 10:37 PM

Strikethrough has never worked in comments before, Eric, I've tried. What have you done differently now? Can I see this allowed code list too?

Comment from: GG posted at October 27, 2005 10:56 PM

In the final analysis, I don't care what gets published from the line, so long as it gets published. It's been a long, arduous dry spell, and I need my fix.

Comment from: GG posted at October 28, 2005 12:01 AM

"Eli's coming -- hide your heart girl!"

Do you mean that he's an inveterate womanizer or a portent of something darker?

Comment from: MasonK posted at October 28, 2005 12:36 AM

I'm glad Lilith's getting an expanded writup. I really am. And Eli. And Litheroy. And I'm glad the core rules will be available again, too.

But am I the only one that sees this as the final nail in the coffin of the IN print line?

Of course, not having a bank account, paypal account, or credit cards, or, well, job, it's going to be awhile before I can actually see any of this, anyway...

Comment from: GG posted at October 28, 2005 1:46 AM

No, the "portent of something darker" or "inveterate womanizer" is a reference to Sports Night.

Comment from: Frisco posted at October 28, 2005 4:14 AM

"Eli's coming -- hide your heart girl!"
I'm not quite sure if it's "portent of something darker" or about an "inveterate womanizer" but I am pretty sure you discribe Lilith's "Smokey" can't you?

Comment from: Elizabeth McCoy posted at October 28, 2005 7:45 AM

MasonK: after Superiors 5 was essentially dropped from consideration -- was the nail in the coffin for the print line. Unless the PDF version of the line causes a huge revival (and no one would be more delighted in that than I!), there will be no more traditionally-printed books, to my knowledge.

I hope that they can rope Kira into doing the gift certificate/voucher work for e23, that exists for Pyramid. Then you could write Pyramid articles for credit for IN goodies. O:>

Comment from: GG posted at October 28, 2005 9:15 AM

Any chance you can give us the skinny on what Superiors 5 would have been?

(Also, it's been an age, Ms. McCoy -- I used to haunt the mailing list, name o' Gregory Gietzen.)

Comment from: HydrogenGuy posted at October 28, 2005 10:13 AM

I misplaced the colon in this post's title and read "Eric In: Nomine Core Rules e-Book!", and thought, "It's good Eric's film career is taking off, but the movie's title is a bit wordy..."

Comment from: John Fiala posted at October 28, 2005 10:28 AM

I'm afraid I'm going to have to agree with Bork here. I've tried playing the game, I've tried reading the rulebooks, and all - but the game system doesn't do anything for me in the original system, and when I tried to look at the GURPS version the densely packed rules made me go blind.

(Which is why I type so poorly. :)

I'm glad to hear of any game system coming back electronicly - I think it's great that the older systems get a second chance at life.

(And if Any one wants to play Bat Wings, Small Morals, I'd love to give it a try. :)

Comment from: Elizabeth McCoy posted at October 28, 2005 10:21 PM

Superiors 5 would have been one of:

Pillars and Wildcards (working title) - Janus, Jean, Zadkiel, Litheroy, Marc.

Peace and Nature (working title) - Eli, Novalis, Jordi, and Christopher -- with Chris having the minor-Superior wordcount and Eli getting extra.

And the one that wasn't 5 would've been 7; the order would have depended on which Superiors we could get good authors for, and get the manuscripts in for at the same time.

Six and Eight had the working titles of...
The Manipulators (Kronos, Beleth, Lilith, Malphas)
War and Death (Baal, Asmodeus, Saminga, Belial, possibly Magog, very possibly Furfur.)

(Yeah, Azzie is a manipulator as well, but five major Superiors in a book just wouldn't work, and he fit well enough with his buddy Baal.)

Nine would have been Archangels of Mystery or something (Uriel, Oannes, Raphael, maybe Death), and ten had some forgettable title with a line-up of dead Princes (Gebbeleth, Vephar, Mariel, Mesearch, etc.).

Isn't it awful that I can do those from memory?

Comment from: miyaa posted at October 30, 2005 4:42 AM

Shadowrun, 4th Edition Book form: $35.00 USD
Shadowrun, 4th Edition PDF version: $25.00 USD

I got all three of Monte Cook's Arcane Evolved at very reduced rates (30%, I think). PDFs are a wonderful thing.

Comment from: GG posted at October 31, 2005 4:27 AM

Oh, thou heartless Line Editor, why must you taunt me with the lure of titles never to be written?

Comment from: Elizabeth McCoy posted at November 2, 2005 10:27 PM

It's all part of the Cruel and Heartless schtick.

*innocent*

Comment from: Padre posted at November 15, 2005 8:21 PM

Soooo close to release... any idea what time of day it's due? Obsessive I know, but thios kind of thing is important when you have timezones to consider too.

Lilith is neat, by the way.

Comment from: Padre posted at November 16, 2005 4:45 PM

I's up! And I've ordered it!

C'mon Paypal.... need... Nomine....

Comment from: Elizabeth McCoy posted at December 3, 2005 7:05 PM

Belatedly, glad that you liked Lilith. Hope that the core rules are also useful to you!