« A fast update | Main | It's like playing kitchen, only... you know, with a real kitchen. »

Eric: I wonder how T Campbell handles these situations...

So, as promised, a snark on or about Gossamer Commons. Specifically, on the future.

Gossamer Commons has to be the my most ambitious project, in all my online endeavors. John Stark makes me happy, and Websnark is by far the most successful thing I've done. But Gossamer Commons represents a true desire to make something -- to make a story, first and foremost, with some humor and with some drama. To take what I've learned from critiquing and do something with it. And to learn what no one on the outside can know.

And I've learned so much, so far. The pacing on Chapter Two reflects that, I think. I'm very excited, and very pleased. And of course, Greg Holkan's art has made it very special indeed.

Well, Greg has to step away from it, at the end of Chapter Two. He has too many irons in the fire. And I understand and support his decision. Most of all, I wouldn't want to see Gossamer Commons continue with him at the sacrifice of [nemesis], which is his story. He's not going away, mind. He'll still contribute art and projects, and he's going to remain a sounding board for me. And of course, every episode of Gossamer Commons will show his influence from now until the end, no matter what his role is.

Hell, the name Gossamer Commons came from a collaborative decision between the two of us.

But, it means it's time to look for someone to pick the art chores up, starting with Chapter Three. And that's just a few weeks away, even at three day a week updating.

And so, here we are. Hi. My name is Eric. I write a webcomic that's got thousands of readers. I need someone to draw it. Someone who will take the designs and work and concepts that Greg Holkan built, but not be afraid to let their own style influence and build upon that foundation.

It's going to be black and white art, as it currently is. And it's three days a week. I would greatly prefer a backlog of strips be built up, so that as trouble strikes we can deal with it. Absent a backlog, there is still a solid need for deadline-meeting fu. Missing updates is death for a story webcomic, after all. The artist in question will get an opportunity to brainstorm, to discuss, to influence the story as it's written -- I might be the writer, but the story is collaborative.

There is no money, at this time. However, if we go to print -- and that's still the intent, one day -- compensation will be divided equally for all pages the artist produces. And the artist in question retains their originals to do with what they will.

I'm pretty bummed, I'll admit. Greg has been a godsend. But he's not leaving in acrimony, and like I said he's not divorcing himself from Gossamer Commons entirely. I wish him well with everything he does, and I'm still going to read [nemesis] with every new post.

If you're interested, e-mail gossamercommons [funky at symbol] gmail [period] com. Or comment here.

And if you're of a mind, let Greg know how much he'll be missed. Because if anyone deserves applause right now, it's Our Mister Holkan.

Peace.

Posted by Eric Burns-White at October 17, 2005 7:47 PM

Comments

Comment from: Lyndon W posted at October 17, 2005 7:55 PM

You suppose some people from the first artist call would still be willing?

Comment from: SeanH posted at October 17, 2005 8:16 PM

Greg certainly will be missed - his work's been excellent. Though I confess I'm excited to see who's next.

Comment from: Snowspinner posted at October 17, 2005 8:22 PM

Since you're already in position to, are you considering switching artists with story arcs, a la Sandman?

Comment from: kirabug posted at October 17, 2005 9:15 PM

Wow - Greg will definitely be missed! He's not only a great artist to read, but he's an artist you can't help learning about composition from just in the act of reading.

Comment from: Ford Dent posted at October 17, 2005 9:37 PM

Aw man, I'm a little sad about the loss of Greg.

[nemesis] is amazing though, so I can't complain.

Comment from: Abby L. posted at October 17, 2005 10:19 PM

I'd love to draw your stuff, but I don't think my style really fits the story. It's a shame your artist can't work on it anymore... But I completely understand what it's like to be busy.

Comment from: Eric Burns posted at October 17, 2005 10:35 PM

If it counts for anything, Abby, I'm a fan of your style. ;)

Comment from: Kate Sith posted at October 17, 2005 11:42 PM

Dude. It sucks that Greg has to go, and I kinda hope that he'll be able to maybe come back for a chapter or two down the line, cos that'd be awesome. Maybe by the time it all wraps up, years down the line, he could come back for the Final Arc (if not him, then obviously David Willis).

On another note, I need to get myself disciplined enough to where I could actually, like, *take* these sorts of opportunities. Regular updates and me... well. Considering I could conceivably pull anything out of my ass for my own strip--ANYTHING--and yet it's still gone a week without an update... yeah. But I blame the drama. And the Java. Possibly the boogie.

Good luck in the search, tho.

Comment from: Merus posted at October 17, 2005 11:47 PM

Man, sad to see Greg go. He's got a fine style, and I've enjoyed his look for things.

Comment from: Phil Kahn posted at October 18, 2005 12:10 AM

Aw! Bummer, dude!

Tell Greg I wish him luck on his other projects. And good luck to you to find a new regular artist.

Comment from: Plaid Phantom posted at October 18, 2005 1:26 AM

*salutes* Mr. Holkan shall indeed be missed.

Although, the idea of a new artist excites me a lot more than I expect it would. Too bad I couldn't draw my way out of a wet paper bag.

(Not that drawing would be a particularly efficient way to exit a wet paper bag. I would hopefully consider my alternatives in such a situation. However, given no other option, I would indeed be in trouble.)

(On the other hand, would I really *inside* of said paper bag if it was truly wet? One would assume from experience at grocery stores that paper bags do not have particularly high integrity when moistened. Perhaps a study would be in order. But I digress.)

Comment from: David Morgan-Mar posted at October 18, 2005 1:30 AM

I'll do it with photos of LEGO figures! I have a big LEGO dog! ;-)

Comment from: Merus posted at October 18, 2005 1:48 AM

Man, that would be super amusing - Irregular Commons.

I always figured, if one was drawing their way out of a water paper bag, one would want to draw hard and really press down on the paper.

And I figure, if the paper bag is big enough to have you in it, it'd have enough integrity to survive being wet.

Comment from: Alun Clewe posted at October 18, 2005 3:25 AM

Well...isn't that kind of the whole point of the idiom? That "paper bags do not have particularly high integrity when moistened", as you put it, which means that it should be very easy to get out of them? And that therefore, if you can't even get out of a wet paper bag, you must really be inept?

Although the idiom does indeed start to make a lot less sense when non-forceful means, such as drawing, are referred to...

My apologies if I'm missing out on some irony or stating the obvious here. It's late and I'm tired and I may not be making all that much sense.

Comment from: Meagen Image posted at October 18, 2005 4:31 AM

I could draw for you, if you don't mind having all your characters look like Sonata, backgrounds become virtually non-existant, and small notes to the tune of "stupid fairies" mysteriously appearing in scenes featuring the fair folk.

Comment from: Doc posted at October 18, 2005 6:05 AM

Don't be crazy, Greg never has to go, just creatively re-arrange the existing panels for the rest of the storyline. So long as you don't want to introduce any new characters... or settings or anything. I guess it could all happen off screen.

Comment from: Alexis Christoforides posted at October 18, 2005 6:27 AM

The Adventures of Fairy Lieutenant Malachite.

I wish I could draw. Good luck, Eric! It'll be hard to replace Greg, his work is fantastic.

Gee, I hope I don't turn into a grumpy old guy, all "I was reading Gossamer Commons when Greg Holkan was drawing it! You know, WHEN IT WAS GOOD"

So Bob is no longer part of Yirmumah, Greg stops drawing Gossamer Commons, Least I Could Do also changed artists... season of change indeed.

Comment from: Paul Gadzikowski posted at October 18, 2005 7:46 AM

You tempt me, Eric, just as Shaenon did the other week. As you know, punctuality of updates is not an issue with me, but that's at a certain sacrifice of, to put it kindly, style. I'm not wholly confident I could live up to Greg's precedent at the same time. In any case, it's not evident I can draw two webcomics at once in the first place, as anyone who reads both Arthur and my fanfiction site can attest (I know there's at least one of you here, because you comment too).

When somone on rec.arts.drwho once complained that Jon Pertwee couldn't act himself out of a paper bag, my reply was, "Nonsense! That's exactly what he does when he exits the Axon spaceship."

Comment from: William_G posted at October 18, 2005 10:42 AM

Okay Eric! I'll draw it for you.

But, you'll have to go to a "One comic installment every seasonal change" format for it to work out. :D

Comment from: madbaker posted at October 18, 2005 11:21 AM

"Fountains don't make the giant dog go away" just about wrecked me.

Comment from: P A Venables posted at October 18, 2005 11:23 AM

Damn you Eric and your accursedly tempting temptatiousness!

Greg is leaving some HUGE shoes in his wake and that's an intimidating thing to approach.

Comment from: Tice with a J posted at October 18, 2005 12:10 PM

I so want to do this. Maybe I could do this if I had the time. But I don't have the time, and I won't for the next 3-6 years. Curse you, higher education!

Say, Eric, think you'll be needing a new artist 3-6 years from now?

Comment from: larksilver posted at October 18, 2005 1:33 PM

Couldn't fill Greg's shoes, nope. Not in a million. Takes me forever to go from concept to finished product, way longer than what I see all these other folks doing. Granted, the 3-year-old may have something to do with that (and his dad, and EQII, and.. and.. and..), but that's beside the point.

My first reactions upon reading this though:

"Aww, man, that's too bad, I love this collaboration" at Greg's leaving, and "Me! ME!" about new artist.... until, of course, I grew a brain again. sigh.

Comment from: denzombie posted at October 18, 2005 1:50 PM

/salute Greg

The artist contributes so much to the look and feel of a story. I wish you the best in finding a new collaborator.

I would volunteer if not for my World of Warcraft addiction which keeps my output at one strip a week.

Comment from: inkbrush posted at October 18, 2005 2:55 PM

Yeah, my girliofriend has given up trying to get me to play WOW. It's probably one of the only reasons I have been able to keep producing work at all. From what I understand of it, WOW is something like a digital smack habit.

Comment from: Paul Gadzikowski posted at October 18, 2005 3:21 PM

Comment from: unliz posted at October 18, 2005 8:34 PM

Aw man, I'd totally volunteer if this was a few months from now when I've hopefully completed some sort of therapy to make me able to focus on something for extended peiods of time and could commit to a regular update schedule.

Comment from: larksilver posted at October 18, 2005 10:39 PM

"My stepgrandson was a month old when we visited them in September (which is why we visited), and the only chance my stepson and his fiancee had to do something together while we were there was when they hauled out the laptops and did the WoW thing."

Not only is EQ how I met my fella, it remains our most common method of entertainment (although it's EQII now). The first couple of years after the baby was born were tough, financially; playing online together was one of the few things we could do without hiring a sitter, or spending a bunch of cash to go out.

Comment from: BenPop posted at October 19, 2005 12:24 AM

Bah, gaming, bah. ;-P I play Civ3, and that's good enough for me! I prefer to use my processing power for Adobe CS2 instead.

Hmmm... this artist job certainly sounds interesting. I must say that I enjoy Gossamer Commons, Websnark, and TAOBGJS. I've commented before, but like FOREVER AGO. Whee.

Anyway, Mr. Eric Burns, just so you know: your writing is awesome. Very. I love it. :)

Comment from: Abby L. posted at October 19, 2005 1:19 AM

If it counts for anything, Abby, I'm a fan of your style. ;)

Why, that's awfully kind of you, Mr. Burns. :)

Comment from: Ian K. posted at October 19, 2005 4:38 AM

I'm glad to see that Greg will be/has already finished this chapter, a laud you both. Laud!

I would offer my services, but I can only draw stick figures... they're really good, though. For serious.

Comment from: T Campbell posted at October 20, 2005 8:27 AM

I try to recruit subs so the pressure doesn't get to be too much on the main guys and I'm really, really choosy about the main guys.

But yeah, it's hard.