« Polehugging. | Main | Damn it, now I need a new 80's sitcom reference. »

Eric: Holy Fuck! My Star Trek Worlds supplement's been e-published!

A while ago, I wrote a good sized chunk of Star Trek: Worlds for Decipher Games. As it worked out, the line died before the book was published. It happens. I got paid, and have no complaints.

However, I happened to be over on Drivethru RPG poking around, and they had a Decipher section, including an advertisement for certain books... and I quote... "never published anywhere else."

And there it was, plain as day.

Worlds
ISBN: 158-236-909-7
Author(s): Eric Burns, Kenneth A. Hite and Doug Sun
Publisher Stock #: 103608
File Size: 14.1 MB
Original electronic format
Watermarked PDF
View Preview NEW!

“You keep wondering if man was meant to be out here. You keep wondering and you keep signing on.…”
—Captain James Kirk, The Naked Time
To explore strange new worlds…
The burning sands of Vulcan. The icy chasms of Andoria. The storm-swept skies of Qo’noS.
Worlds presents them in all their glory, ready for your away team and fully described for your STAR TREK Roleplaying Game series. From Iconia to Rigel X, the skies of your series suddenly got a little more crowded. Report to Stellar Cartography and prepare to transmit navigational coordinates—countless new worlds of adventure await you!
Worlds includes:

• Comprehensive entries for over 62 planets from every STAR TREK era, including such fan favorites as Romulus, Cardassia Prime, Bajor, and Ferenginar.
• Never-before-seen historical, cultural, and planetological information, complete with episode ideas and detailed maps for each world.
• A detailed star system and planetary creation system, including new planetary design methods true to 21st century science and to STAR TREK canon.

TM, ® & © 2005 Paramount Pictures. All Rights Reserved.
STAR TREK and related marks are tademarks of Paramount Pictures.
Decipher Inc. Authorized User. © 2005 Decipher Inc.

So hey -- if you're a Star Trek fan, come on over! It's got vintage Burnsian extrapolation in it. It also has large amounts of Kenneth Hite in it -- and Ken Hite's one of the single finest RPG developers out there, especially when it comes to Star Trek (he worked on two different RPGs about Trek). And Doug Sun deserves a "Dude" all his own.

I can't speak to the production values -- I haven't gotten a copy of the PDF or anything -- but either way... this represents a real milestone for me.

See, some geeks get to write RPG materials and get paid for it.

Some fewer geeks get to write Star Trek stuff and get paid for it.

But it takes a truly epic geek to write Star Trek RPG stuff and get paid for it.

Kneel before me. KNEEL!

Posted by Eric Burns-White at October 22, 2005 3:57 AM

Comments

Comment from: Terraism posted at October 22, 2005 4:31 AM

Congrats! Been reading for a while, but never felt the need to post. (Though the cloud story last week came close.) That, however, is awesomeness of a level that deserves praise. Nicely done! :)

Comment from: William_G posted at October 22, 2005 7:46 AM

Hey, do you remember that boardgame like battletech called Starfleet Battles? All you had to do was front load it with like five photon torpedoes and you'd wipe out anything in front of you.

Ahhh... what a wasted puberty. I got some harsh words for my younger self when I invent my time machine.

Comment from: William_G posted at October 22, 2005 7:47 AM

"it" being your custom-made starship...

Comment from: Harry posted at October 22, 2005 8:01 AM

You are now, officially, my geek god.

Comment from: Kail Panille posted at October 22, 2005 9:13 AM

Kneel? Um...

*dignified and reserved bow*

The knees, you understand.

Comment from: MasonK posted at October 22, 2005 9:17 AM

Oh, cool, Bro! I remember when you were working on this, and how proud you were able to get research materials that you could write off for tax season....

Comment from: UrsulaV posted at October 22, 2005 10:25 AM

Go geek! Go geek!

Comment from: Wednesday White posted at October 22, 2005 11:02 AM

Kneel before me. KNEEL!

Wow. And here I thought we were just going to watch that show today.

(Duuuuuude.)

Comment from: Paul Gadzikowski posted at October 22, 2005 11:15 AM

I once got paid for some Star Trek cartoons by an RPG company. This was back in the early 80s when FASA had the rights, and one of their guys saw my stuff in a con art show, and bought one and got in touch with me. Mike someone, he wrote their Doctor Who game. I drew a couple of full-page strips for their short-lived magazine; and a few single panels, I think.

Comment from: J.(Channing)Wells posted at October 22, 2005 12:26 PM

...it takes a truly epic geek to write Star Trek RPG stuff and get paid for it.

So you've finally reached Level 21, huh? I can see it now. 'Eric Burns (M Hum Gk:21)'.

Okay, that settles it. You totally need to add a character sheet to your bio. :)

Comment from: Kail Panille posted at October 22, 2005 12:41 PM

'Eric Burns (M Hum Gk:21)'.
Oh, come on. You know he's got to be multiclassed.

Is Writer (one who writes things. for money) a prestige class, do you suppose? If so, a five-level or a ten-level?

I posit:
Eric Burns (LG Male Human Gk16/Wri5)

Comment from: J.(Channing)Wells posted at October 22, 2005 1:19 PM

I vote five-level. There's not enough future in it for a ten-level. At level five you get Writes Things For Money (Ex) and your Type changes to Envied.

Comment from: 32_footsteps posted at October 22, 2005 4:04 PM

Dude, Eric, we really don't want to get into a geek spitting contest, do we? Almost sounds like you're inviting one.

And I kneel for no man, and for my wife only if she asks nicely. ;)

Comment from: Steve Mollmann posted at October 22, 2005 4:16 PM

You wrote part of Worlds? I've been considering getting it, but this might be enough to make me pay twenty-five bucks for a gorram PDF file...

Comment from: SeanH posted at October 22, 2005 4:59 PM

The proofreader in me wants to know what's with the question mark after the closing speech marks in that Kirk quote. Are they asking if he said it?

Comment from: miyaa posted at October 22, 2005 5:40 PM

"Eternity with nerds...it's the Pasadena Star Trek Convention all over again!"

(Needed to be said.)

Comment from: Plaid Phantom posted at October 22, 2005 6:06 PM

Once again, your awesomeness has overshadowed my own. You will rue this day, Burns! Rue, I say!

miyaa: Indeed it did. Indeed it did.

Comment from: Dave Van Domelen posted at October 22, 2005 6:20 PM

No, the capstone level for the Writer PrC is "Make A Living At It". "Writes Things For Money" is actually the level 1 special ability, it's what separates the Writer PrC from the various base classes that can feed into it. :)

Comment from: Eric Burns posted at October 22, 2005 8:16 PM

I did indeed.

I need to see if I can get a copy of said PDF, so I can see how much my worlds changed. I'm hoping my Bolians, Benzites and Tzenkathi survived.

Oh.

And Exo III.

But Paramount might have nixed that one.

Oh, and I got to try to come up with an explanation for why brain slugs evolved on Ceti Alpha V.

Comment from: Eric Burns posted at October 22, 2005 8:23 PM

Sorry -- Galor IV. There's nothing about Exo III they'd have nixed. But Galor IV's something else again.

Comment from: Merus posted at October 22, 2005 8:57 PM

Rigel X

When I see this name, I imagine an uppety muppet.

Comment from: Abby L. posted at October 22, 2005 10:41 PM

That's pretty awesome. Mind laying on us your brain slug reasoning? Or is that against the rules? And might I say: |\/| (live long and prosper)

Comment from: Tice with a J posted at October 23, 2005 12:15 AM

I think the vulcan gesture would be better ASCII'ed like this: \\//_

Incidentally, I found this in the description:

Wow. 21st century science AND Star Trek canon? I am impressed.

Comment from: Tice with a J posted at October 23, 2005 12:23 AM

I have just discovered that not only was there an Eric Burns involved in the writing, but there was also a Dan Burns involved in the visual creative direction and a Rob Burns involved in the graphic design.

The message here: put too many people named Burns in your production team and your supplement will be relegated to obscurity.

Comment from: SeanH posted at October 23, 2005 4:05 AM

"You can't do this to me! I'm Charles Montgomery Burns!"

Comment from: Paul A. posted at October 25, 2005 2:40 AM

That's not a real question mark, it's a your-browser-doesn't-know-how-to-display-this-symbol question mark. (The reason I know this is because I see a your-browser-doesn't-know-how-to-display-this-symbol hollow rectangle, so your guess is as good as mine what the symbol in question is actually supposed to be.)