« Rita | Main | It's like putting out a call to the Blue Blaze irregulars! »

Wednesday: I also don't understand arithmetic.

Sam the American Eagle would shake his head. So would Fozzie Bear.

Seriously. What kind of world is it where the fine boys at Penny Arcade sell Twisp and Catsby shirts, but the many did not buy them?

I am rife with confusion. Replete. Suffused. What the hey, people. It's just one more thing that doesn't make any sense to me at all. Up there with Lea Hernandez and Bill Mallonee not being superstars in their fields. And the CBC lockouts continuing apace, but more on that later.

(Also? Perl. I never could learn perl. As far as I know, perl is this thing that people do when they want to say to me, "Wednesday," they say to me, "you are a very silly woman who is addled with insufficient coffee. Everyone knows perl. Also, you should write a video card driver for X.")

Anyhow. How'd that happen?

Posted by Wednesday Burns-White at September 22, 2005 11:50 AM

Comments

Comment from: Jin Wicked posted at September 22, 2005 12:00 PM

I really wanted a Twisp and Catsby shirt, but the design they made (if it's the one I'm thinking of) just sucked. It had a silhouette of the characters. I was excited when they said they were making on, too, then remember just being let down when I saw it.

No one asks me about these things.

Comment from: Dave Van Domelen posted at September 22, 2005 12:16 PM

You still in the path, or posting from the fallback location, Jin?

Comment from: John posted at September 22, 2005 12:20 PM

Jin nailed it. Cool characters, bad design. Make a shirt with full-color Twisp and Catsby in all their visible glory, and watch 'em fly off the virtual shelves.

I hope this misstep doesn't dissuade Gabe and Tycho from doing more T&C stuff in general.

Comment from: Paul Gadzikowski posted at September 22, 2005 12:31 PM

Sorry. Not ordinarily into t-shirts. Not that big a Penny Arcade fan. Such merchandise isn't (wait for it) for me.

(Speaking of t-shirts, though, an update from Eric may be in order. The Snarky shirt pre-order period ended September 9. Even "I forgot! Damn you, August 2005!" would do.)

Comment from: Eric Burns posted at September 22, 2005 12:32 PM

Paul -- I should have words about T-shirtish things up later today. August was unkind, as you noted, but the kindness of Snarkoleptics are not to be trifled with.

Comment from: AndrewWade posted at September 22, 2005 12:51 PM

Yeah, the design really disappointed me.

So at PAX, I bought a Baby vs. Rhino one instead.

Comment from: kirabug posted at September 22, 2005 1:28 PM

I don't get twisp and catsby. Though I'm trying.
I also don't know perl. I know of it, but I don't know it.
I like the muppets though :)

Comment from: McMartin posted at September 22, 2005 1:39 PM

If you hate Perl, try out Python.

And yeah. A "Ham!" shirt would have worked a bit better for me.

Comment from: The Matt Who Is posted at September 22, 2005 1:50 PM

An expansion on the "Ham!" panel would make a great shirt. I love Twisp and Catsby, and I don't hate the silhouette design. Of course, no one ever made a sale based upon "not hate."

Vote Dada!

Matt
www.likelystories.com

Comment from: quiller posted at September 22, 2005 3:05 PM

I think I'd be much more likely to get a shirt with Cardboard Tube Samurai or the Punctuation Marks on it rather than Twisp and Catsby really. Unfortunately, I don't think there will ever be a T-Shirt with American McGee's Strawberry Shortcake on it.

I've written programs in Perl, but it's not exactly something I would push on someone unless they were heavily into server management, or had to do complicated back-end programming for a web application.

Comment from: Eric Burns posted at September 22, 2005 3:35 PM

The moment I learned that these tee shirts were going away, I bought one. I for one like the silhouette, because it evokes the sense of the pair without... um... well, interior lines.

Whatever. I'm glad I got my order in before these shirts went away.

Comment from: Ardaniel posted at September 22, 2005 7:20 PM

As far as Penny Arcade shirts go, the one with a certain malevolent juicing appliance is far and away my favorite, not least for the reactions you get from the uninitiated when you wear it to, say, the grocery store, or school, or what have you.

And if there are any Angelenos reading the 'snark and wondering about Lea Hernandez's work, Golden Apple Comics on Melrose has Rumble Girls: Silky Warrior Tansie in collected digest form on the 50% Off Manga rack in the front of the store, so you can sample her work for $5. Good deal; I picked mine up last week and am enjoying it.

Comment from: nkuvu posted at September 22, 2005 10:18 PM

Perl is my most favoritest programming language. Very powerful, does more than many many other languages. In regards to the server management/back-end web programming note -- Perl is capable of so much more than that it's not even funny.

Not that I'm a zealot, Python is very comparable to Perl. The one thing I find that Python lacks in comparison to Perl is a CPAN clone. That is, a repository of pre-written, free modules to do whole bunches of things. And there are plenty of times to choose other languages over Perl.

Of course I don't have space here to really give a decent comparison among the various programming language options. Nor do I think there are many here who are really concerned about the matter.

So I'll be quiet now.

Comment from: siwangmu posted at September 23, 2005 12:22 AM

I, for one, would love a Twisp and Catsby shirt, but--there were no words. This is, to me, just as ridiculous as it would be to have no pictures, because that's how my experience of T&C is framed. Buying a shirt with the silhouette and the names? Does nothing. It is a marker to those who might recognize it, and there are other, better, ways to do that. Now a shirt with their picture, and an insane subtitle-thing? Like (picture)--Ham! or (picture)--Ineffable? That would be awesome. This is because it would essentialy enable me, the T-shirt wearer, to reproduce for the passerby the essence of T&C, and that would be the best kind of keeping-on-giving gift. (The essence I'm talking about is, of course, "hey, that doesn't make sense... but it delights me!" or a sort of "non sequitar with style." The t-shirt doesn't provide that--it's hard pressed to violate context endearingly because it is nothing but context (there's a silhouette/background-based joke to be made here, somewhere).)
T&C is not based solely on the joke of their silhouettes and names, or there wouldn't have also been awesome characteristic dialogue. Cardboard Tube Samurai can be summed up in a still image. So can Fruit Fucker. But I don't think these guys can, or at least not this one, as awesome as the whole Victorian cameo effect is.

In short? The little shopping blurb is titled "The exuberance is insubstantial!"
If, say, the back of the T-shirt said that, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
It's about whimsy. This shirt is about at a 2, we need it at about a 5.

Yes, this entire thing is an elaboration on something of almost no "objective" importance. Between that and my love of italics, I have no idea why I'm drawn to Eric's writing.

Comment from: Sean Neakums posted at September 24, 2005 8:53 AM

I'd have bought one, but I detest back prints.

Comment from: everythingevil posted at September 24, 2005 1:54 PM

1) That's what I like about perl, how apocryphal it can get! You have to be a really good coder to write mantainable code. It really is a useful tool for sysadmins but not an indispensible one. If you already a C++ master you don't need it. On the other hand it is cool to write a perl one liner and have it do what 200 lines of C++ would do.

2) Arithmetic, never really liked it, sort of understood it until someone showed me that anyone can write their own arithmetic systems wit their own rules.

3) Twisp and Catsby deserve a compleely surrealistic shirt. Unlike the one that was out there, cool and subtle, the one they should have made should have been an outburst of what is twisp and catsby, sepia, dada, ad surreal.

Comment from: Lea-Hernandez posted at September 24, 2005 4:00 PM

Bless yer heart, Ardaniel.

Thanks, Weds. I often wonder why I'm not a supahstah, too. Maybe it's my relative lack of youth and attention-whoring with riveting fibs.

Then again...my dad's a ninja monk assassin spy! I've been all over the world! I'm a manga-ka! BUY MY BPPKS! READ MY COMICS! GIVE ME MONEY!

*insert picture of my tits here*