« The quote is actually a quote, for the record. I didn't make the quote up. I wouldn't do that with a quote. | Main | Also, the CAP Alert guy accuses Piggy of "gamming." Unfortunate pun, really. »

Eric: How you can tell you've been working too much lately

The alarms started going off on time, around six thirty this morning. I push up off the couch -- fell asleep there last night, clearly unexpectedly. I push up off said couch, wander into the bedroom to kill the alarm, then back out to grab coffee.

The power of the Keurig is hot, tasty coffee on demand. I got through three quarters of a cup before really putting together my morning plan. Grab a shower, change, head over to work, settle in for the day. It's a plan I've executed before. And I'd gotten up early enough to let me check mail and answer a few letters before I needed to really get into it.

I was part way through my second cup and bringing up webcomics when it hit me that it's Saturday. And unlike most of the last block of Saturdays I've worked, I really don't need to go into the office. I actually have the day off, barring my pager going off.

It's not, by the by, that I thought I had to work this Saturday. It's that I had no idea it was Saturday for nearly an hour.

I'm going back to bed.

Posted by Eric Burns-White at September 24, 2005 7:20 AM

Comments

Comment from: Jeff Smith posted at September 24, 2005 9:04 AM

Now that just plain sucks. Get some good sleep man.

Comment from: Steven Orr posted at September 24, 2005 9:15 AM

*cough* Dilbert *cough*

Comment from: UrsulaV posted at September 24, 2005 9:16 AM

Been there, done that...

Comment from: Matt Sweeney posted at September 24, 2005 9:44 AM

I did the reverse on Friday. I woke up and started thinking about when I want to get over to SPX and the best route to take and all that. Then it occured to me that it was only Friday and I needed to get up and go to work.

I hate when I do that.

Comment from: alienpriest posted at September 24, 2005 9:50 AM

I tend to think of days like that as a bonus day. All that stuff you would usualy be preferring to do while stuck at work can now be done. Normal weekends won't do, generally because i tend to sleep through them, but if I've somehow mistakenly prepaired to be productive, well, why not?

Comment from: Kate Sith posted at September 24, 2005 11:52 AM

Yeah, through most of the summer I relied on webcomics to help me remember what day it was. (Now, of course, we have school to help us keep pace. Weekdays are alternating school/not-school. Weekends are designated by wailing, gnashing of teeth and the slow laborious death of one's soul.)

Enjoy the rest, though. I wish I could crawl back into bed (again) myself, because SPX totally kicked my ass. Next time, we don't day-trip this thing. yeesh.

Comment from: BadgerGirl posted at September 24, 2005 1:00 PM

Nobody should sleep when there are things to do, and We *Heart* Katamari to be played!

Comment from: 32_footsteps posted at September 24, 2005 1:11 PM

But some of us have already beaten We Love Katamari. In two different languages, no less. Though I suppose I haven't unlocked the Rose level in English yet...

Comment from: Dave Van Domelen posted at September 24, 2005 1:28 PM

I didn't even turn my alarm on last night. Slept about 11 hours. Needed it.

Comment from: Matt Sweeney posted at September 24, 2005 2:55 PM

When did you go? I popped in at around 11 AM this morning (saturday), dropped about $160 with out realizing it, and was gone by noon. That show is dangerous

I did learn that when congratulating a certain couple on their engagement it helps to tell them why they are being congratulated. They also give out nifty buttons when you buy their books.

I was also reminded that I'm a slave to Drawn and Quarterly, but I knew that already and I'm OK with that. And, they not only gave me a tiny little Seth comic, but also gave me a free book of Crumb's placemat drawings.

Comment from: Kate Sith posted at September 24, 2005 3:43 PM

My friend and I drove up from Richmond around 2:30-3ish yesterday and rolled in at about 6:30 (god damned traffic). We stayed until they closed for the day (8) and a little while after, and then drove home. Besides the door cost, I think I spent about 7 dollars, and would have spent more if I hadn't misplaced part of my spending money (which I found in my pocket when we stopped for food on the way home--oyy). We were doing this on a 'poor college kids on a last-minute trip four days before payday' budget.

Mostly we were either hanging around the Dumbrella space or wandering around aimlessly. I also distributed home-made (well, from a box) baked goods, because I thought it would be a nice thing to do. Also because I get all nervous and fangirly and it's easier to stop and go "Your work is awesome. Have a muffin?" then just stand there and "uhm" and "uh" for five minutes and come off as kinda creepy.

My friend is already talking about what we should do differently next year. First on the list is getting a hotel room, although I don't think she has the purest of purposes in mind for that. ^^;;

Comment from: kirabug posted at September 24, 2005 3:49 PM

I wanted to go to SPX but ended up buying crown moulding instead. Something tells me I'm getting old.

Comment from: Ardaniel posted at September 24, 2005 4:16 PM

I woke up at noon today. I need to get back on the We Love Katamari stick; Wedge stayed up until 3am last night and is now ahead of me, having beaten the racecar level AND the campfire one and outdone me utterly on the snowman and the sumo...

Comment from: Matt Sweeney posted at September 24, 2005 4:37 PM

Nice hook. I just pull the old stand by of not talking unless I have to. The sole expection being talking to David and Raina, which didn't go as planned.

Next year there needs to be some kind of pre-show coordination. Until there is some kind of web comic convention, SPX is a natural meeting point for the web comics community considering its focus not only on indies, but on creators (tables are only offered to publishers and creators. no retail shops).

Comment from: Aulayan posted at September 24, 2005 5:06 PM

Ouch, that rather sucks.

But here's one that can really screw up your week. I work an M-F job, and one Tuesday I woke up and was completely convinced it was Friday. The night before I had dreamt the entire workdays of Tuesday through Thursday and it took a good 15 minutes to realize the truth. 15 minutes may not seem all that long, but I'm usually a morning person whose mind is working perfectly about 3 seconds after I wake up.

Comment from: Wednesday posted at September 24, 2005 6:13 PM

But there already is a webcomics convention -- the UK Web and Minicomix Thing!

Comment from: Matt Sweeney posted at September 24, 2005 6:33 PM

But there already is a webcomics convention -- the UK Web and Minicomix Thing!

Wednesday, wednesday, wednesday... Don't you realize that nothing of any value exists outside North America? Sheesh!

Seriously, I've always heard that show in reference to mini's, didn't realize that they included web as well in the name.

That said, given the percentage off web comic creators that live in the US vs. the rest of the world, and considering the issues (customs, costs, general hassle) with foreign travel, I still stand by my point. I also still want to see a con who's mission statement is focused on web comics.

That, and I don't have a passport.

Comment from: Matt Sweeney posted at September 24, 2005 6:49 PM

BTW, as an aside, I've already read through the issues of Raina Telgemeier's Take-Out mini that I picked up. (2-7) If you like Smile, you'll love these comics. Highly recommended.

Right now, I'm in the middle of Alex Robinson's new graphic novel, Tricked, and I'm loving it.

Comment from: William_G posted at September 25, 2005 12:14 PM

Ha-ha!

Comment from: gwalla posted at September 25, 2005 11:22 PM

APE is usually pretty good for webcomics. Shaenon Garrity is usually there, for one.

Comment from: Reinder Dijkhuis posted at September 26, 2005 9:02 AM

You guys should all have been at Clickburg. If there's another one next year, you should all come. You could stay in my house. I mean Renés house.