« Oh, thank Christ. It's September. Here's a video game post. | Main | It scares me that I took the time to check the spelling of the word "Hunkinite" before posting this. »

Eric: Cartooning for a good cause

This the the first time I'm using the Blogging client "Ecto" with Websnark. We're going to see how good a job it does, and if in fact it does a good job, then we'll see about getting its contract renewed.

The following is an e-mail I received from Brad Guigar, author of the deeply cool Greystone Inn. He's got a cool idea for helping out in the wake of the Katrina disaster, and asked for my assistance in getting out the word.

Some of you might remember the Webcomics Telethon for MDA that I organized through AltBrand Comics. You can se the site here: http://mda.altbrand.com/01mda.shtml

The site updated with new comics from participants throughout three days, so there was plenty of reasons for readers to keep tuning in to the Web site. Donations were accepted through PayPal and then donated on behalf of the Webcomics Telethon.

I'm thinking it might be time to dust off the Telethon and re-purpose it for the people devestated by Hurricane Katrina.

Blank Label Comics is going to host a Webcomics Telethon for Hurricane Katrina Victims the week of Sept. 12. I have registered www.webcomictelethon.com for this purpose. I'm going to wait to see how many participants I get before I specify how many days it will go. Depending on how many participants we get, we could make it a two- or even three-day gig.

ALL of the money collected, including donations and money generated from the ads on the site, will be donated to the Red Cross.

Interested parties should:

(1) E-mail me at bguigar@yahoo.com so I can start generating a head count.

(2) Prepare a special comic strip for the Telethon. We don't have much time, so please do it now, while you're thinking about it. It does not have to be about hurricanes or donating money unless you want it to be. Look through the AltBrand Telethon site... there was some fantastic comics generated out of that. Keep it under 600 pixels wide. Any depth.

(3) E-mail me your comic. Include in the e-mail your name, the title of your comic, and your Web site's URL.

(4) Spread the word.

Thanks!

--Brad

Brad is good people, and I think this is a great idea. After consulting with Greg, we've decided that Gossamer Commons will contribute a strip to the cause, and we hope lots of other people do too. I remember the Altbrand MDA telethons fondly, and am looking forward to contributing and hopefully doing some good for people.

Posted by Eric Burns-White at September 1, 2005 9:43 AM

Comments

Comment from: Tangent posted at September 1, 2005 12:17 PM

Tsk. Eric, you should auction off a Snark of the person's choice. Or maybe another poem. I'd raffle off a Tangent but... well, considering I tend to go off on tangents while doing so, I'd probably hit upon every web comic in creation during it, so why bother paying? :D

Take care

Rob

Comment from: Adam Tinworth posted at September 1, 2005 1:27 PM

I've been using ecto for years now and really couldn't imagine blogging without it.

Comment from: larksilver posted at September 1, 2005 3:04 PM

This is pretty darn cool. I wonder if I can scrape something together we can laughably call a "comic?" I *have* been playing with the medium lately...

Of course, who'd want to donate to see my comic, when nobody's ever heard of me I dunno. But still.. worth the effort, methinks. Hrm....

Comment from: Lilamrta posted at September 1, 2005 4:22 PM

Neat. I guess I'll be donating, as I am (as yet [evil laugh]) unknown in the wonderful world of webcomics.

Comment from: Kate Sith posted at September 1, 2005 5:34 PM

Oooh. I actually have an idea, too...

I'll work on it.

Comment from: Steven Orr posted at September 1, 2005 8:34 PM

Yeah. Presuming newcomers (or just super obscure, personal comics) are welcome, I'm in too. I mean... Good cause. Plus, making comics = the fun.

Perfecto.

Comment from: John Lynch posted at September 1, 2005 11:15 PM

As am I (and my webcomic doesn't even have a website yet and I wasn't planning on publishing it until November/December). I've e-mailed Brad with the following questions:
1> Can people who don't have a webcomic create a comic for the Telathon?
2> Is there a limit on how many comics one person can make?

If the question to #1 is no then:
2> Can people who are in the planning phase of their webcomic (but
have a website with a "Coming Soon" message) create a webcomic for
the Telathon?
3> Does the webcomic have to include cast members from the webcomic?

Once I get the answers I'll post them up here.

Comment from: John Lynch posted at September 1, 2005 11:28 PM

Wow, well that was quick. I already got a reply from Brad, here it is:

1> Can people who don't have a webcomic create a comic for the Telathon?

Yes! Absolutely!

2> Is there a limit on how many comics one person can make?

2a> Can people who are in the planning phase of their webcomic (but have a website with a "Coming Soon" message) create a webcomic for the Telathon?

3> Does the webcomic have to include cast members from the webcomic?

No. It can be whatever you want it to be. Themes that tie in with the hurricane are encouraged, but not demanded. :)

All that is very cool. So I'll definitely be submitting at least one comic.

Comment from: Steven Orr posted at September 2, 2005 1:56 AM

Wow. Thanks for all the info John.

Comment from: Kris@WLP posted at September 7, 2005 10:36 PM

I was intending to just run special strips of WLP's web comics and put a few Red Cross benefit auctions on eBay... when I heard about the Telethon.

After a bit of discussion, it was decided it was best that adult webcomics, specifically WLP's, be reciprocally linked to the Telethon but not be a direct part of it. Instead, WLP is going to host an Adult Web Comic Telethon for those creators whose material is a little (or a lot) risque to be put on the regular Telethon.

We're listing it to run from the 12th through the 19th for two reasons: (1) the eBay auctions will run that seven days, and (2) I'll be out of town the 15th through 18th helping a friend run a table at a sci-fi con. Go check it out, 'kay?