« On the plus side, this month's cover art was pretty cool. | Main | Utterly random and superfluous congratulations go to PRODIGAL! »

Eric: You know what I haven't done?

I can't sleep. I can't sleep because there's a sharp whistle in my ears driving me slowly spare.

But you know what I haven't done?

I haven't said that Maritza Campos is back from a well deserved maternity leave (and congratulations, which I also haven't said.)

Which is to say, I haven't said that College Roomies From Hell! is back. So if you've been away from what has to be one of my favorite Story comics... like, ever, then you should go back.

And if you haven't been reading it? You should be.

I haven't done that.

And there's whistling in my frigging ears. So this seems like a good time to rectify that.

Posted by Eric Burns-White at August 23, 2005 1:41 AM

Comments

Comment from: Tangent posted at August 23, 2005 1:57 AM

Heh. Favorite story comic? :) Glad you think so too. :)

What's more, we have Dave peeping in on a naked Margaret, which has to be good for brainwarps... and Mike is dealing with a discriminatory dad... and Roger's got his sis visiting... ;)

An excellent time to start reading again :)

Now to take the whistle away from the voodoo doll of Eric... the whistling has done it's work. Heh heh heh...

Robert A. Howard, Tangents Webcomic Reviews

Comment from: Kneefers posted at August 23, 2005 7:39 AM

"Heh. Favorite story comic? :) Glad you think so too. :)"

That makes three of us. CRfH is frikkin' awesome. It has me absolutely hooked. I think it's because it has something that, when I read nearly any given strip, makes me think that I desperately need to come back tomorrow and figure out what happens, which is rare, even in some of the really heavy hitters.

'Sgood stuff.

Comment from: Danalog posted at August 23, 2005 7:46 AM

It's rare that a comic strip will get me to caring about all the main characters, but CRFH absolutely nails it. It's like George R R Martin's books, I can't wait to see the next Dave story revelation, or the next Marsha one, or.... or....

Comment from: kirabug posted at August 23, 2005 8:17 AM

can't sleep because there's a sharp whistle in my ears driving me slowly spare.

Heh. Sometimes I come here just for the slang. Not just driving you "spare", but doing it slowly.

As for CRFH, I read it every day. But I do wish poor Dave could get a few weeks of happiness - clean, no worries about money or girls or mike or anything happniess. Could be because, of all the characters I read in all the strips I read he's one of the few I could conceivably say I have a "crush" on though. (Rikk from FANS was another. Jack from Zebra Girl? Oh yeah.)

(And yes, I'm a sucker for medium-height skinny nice guys with brown hair IRL too.)

Comment from: larksilver posted at August 23, 2005 9:05 AM

Here's hoping the Whistler went home to its mum and you got some sleep at least. Gah I'm such a mother hen.

Yay for new mommies, and yay for CRFH (which I haven't yet read.. I know, I know, I keep meaning to) being back. If it's all that good... I'll check it out this evenin'. Yep. I promise.

Comment from: 32_footsteps posted at August 23, 2005 9:57 AM

C'mon, you can't just say "CRFH is back." You have to talk about the latest melting of Dave's brain. You've got to talk about Mike's stubborn insistence to pretend that he's gay to his father even while his relationship with Marsha gets more serious. And you have to discuss the symbolism of Dave constatly being on a precarious ledge dozens of feet off the ground whenever he's dealing with female issues.

You're just giving us the canteloupe when we want the whole fruit salad, man.

Comment from: Kate Sith posted at August 23, 2005 10:43 AM

True story:

We were in the developing stages of Too Late to Run (returning to the internet soon under threat of violence), and Andrew says to me "yeah, so I was thinking we'd have a running gag about Jean being a bad cook."

And I just kinda blinked and said "I'm... not sure about that. It's kinda been done."

And he persists and goes "No, no, I mean, like... really bad."

And I was like "But that's just like Marsha."

And he's like "What?"

"...haven't you read CRFH?"

"...no?"

And then I threatened to hit him with a shovel.

Comment from: SeanH posted at August 23, 2005 10:43 AM

What the fuck, Eric?

So I go on holiday, right? Copenhagen, if you were wondering. It's nice, I recommend it. This is the first time in months that I haven't been on the Internet every day. The first time in months I haven't checked Websnark every day.

And the second I leave, Eric makes his anniversary post, and mentions me. Yeah, for me that was kind of a big deal. Ah well. I'll let you get back to discussing comics now :)

Comment from: TheNintenGenius posted at August 23, 2005 2:51 PM

I used to be hard and heavy into the CRfH when I first got into webcomics, but for some reason I stopped reading it. I think it was due to my first Massive Webcomic Burnout, where basically every strip that wasn't Sluggy fell off my list of comics to check as I just wasn't having enough time for all of them anymore.

I probably should check it again, though. It always was a pretty good strip.

Comment from: Jeff Smith posted at August 23, 2005 8:08 PM

You know what's weirding me out? This strip shows up on my stats page:

I have no idea why.

Comment from: vark posted at August 23, 2005 11:33 PM

The whistling doesn't sound quite like tinnitus (ringing in the ears) but if it were, ginko biloba's said to be good for that. Which is trendy enough any drug store, probably Big Box.

Comment from: Eric Burns posted at August 23, 2005 11:57 PM

Actually, it probably is tinnitus, vark.

If you're curious about the internal sound that's shredding my sanity, I modeled it in Garageband and exported it as an MP3. It's at http://www.websnark.com/archives/Burnsskull.mp3 if you're curious.

What?

No, what?

Hey, this makes me one of only seven people to actually use their copy of GarageBand to make an MP3.

Comment from: Tangent posted at August 24, 2005 12:27 AM

Sounds like tinnitus to me. I get it off and on periodically. My dad suffers from it all the time (which is why he constantly has the TV on and such, so there's background noise to drown it out. Ironic because I can't cope with background noise so I can't *hear* conversations when there's a lot of background noise, and my dad uses it non-stop to cope, and he gets upset when I don't listen to him. But I can't because of the noise. Catch-22 anyone?)

Ironically after listening to that, it's cropped up again and I'm hearing it again, faintly.

Rob

Comment from: Aerin posted at August 24, 2005 2:22 AM

Eric, you have far too much time on your hands. And that's a creepy, creepy sound.

Comment from: John posted at August 24, 2005 10:32 AM

Eric, that's some nasty business. I hope you can find a solution.

Your sound model is very well done, but you should have ended it with some heavy metal rock. That would have taken the cake.

Comment from: Matt Sweeney posted at August 25, 2005 7:45 PM

So, I finally listened to the sound that Eric had (has?) in his head.

Acctually, it reminds me of Sachiko M, a Japanese musician in the Onkyo scene. Onkyo is kind of a third generation Japanese noise scene, less harsh noise stuff, more improvisational Cageian, 'all sound is music' kind of thing. Sachiko plays 'memoryless sampler,' which means she manipulates sine waves (her sampler's test tone) changing the tone, pitch, and frequency as she goes along. The track I heard on the first Improvisional Music From Japan book/CD, with vocalist Ami Yoshida, was interesting, but I imagine it comes off better live then on disk.

So think about it this way Eric, people pay good money to hear the same sounds you hear in your head.

Comment from: the_iron_troll posted at August 25, 2005 7:46 PM

Ow! My freakin' ears!

I should check out CRFH someday, when World of Warcraft has released me from its implacable grip.

Comment from: miyaa posted at August 26, 2005 4:36 AM

I have tinnitus, and I've been told by doctors that they don't really know what is causing it. It could be deep waxy built-up or (more likely in my case) random movements coming from the parts of the ear and brain that make sound (either the hair in the ear or neurons shorting out in the ear). I developed mine after I literally collasped after one of those room starts spinning episodes about three years ago.

That's when I discovered how messed up my brain and my hearing is. See, I'm completely deaf in my right ear. In the analysis of why I started to develop tinnitus and the whole fainting spell, I learned that I have ability to maintain balance in my left ear (no cocklea ability). (That's probably what's leaking out of my left ear.) And to over-compensate for it, my right ear became really good at balancing myself.

So to recap, I hear with my left ear and I maintain balance in my right ears. And I have the dreaded tinnitus dilemna. I don't mind it because I also learned that if it does stop, it's probably the next to last thing that happens before I become totally deaf, which is an all to real proposition that I do not want to face.

I haven't heard about the ginko balboa, but I should try it. Also, I have read where sound generators work pretty well, and it's been a mixed result for me. I just appreciate the fact that I can still hear something from my left ear and it's enough to keep me from going nuts. It's really one one of those you notice it when you're thinking about it.

Comment from: larksilver posted at August 26, 2005 8:01 AM

My former employer had a condition which caused a deterioration in his hearing in one of his ears, but he didn't actually notice it until he started having a ringing sound in the other one.

They actually removed the ear drum from his left ear and installed a mechanical one. His hearing is completely normal, and you'd never know it to look, of course. But then, his was a fairly rare condition, genetic or something, dunno if the info would be good for you, Miyaa.