« Shirts sent, and I'm made of foam! | Main | [w] Taken by surprise »

Eric: The redemption of scripting.

I'm somewhere between eternal illness and exhaustive collapse. There is a lot of stress going on right now, which few if anyone here is that interested in. Except, of course, that I'm not writing very much on Snark. It's not because I don't love you.

However, there are things that need to be worked on, and one of those things is Gossamer Commons. Greg has been waiting for some scripts, so he can keep well ahead of the pack, and the same things that kept me barely here has kept me from getting scripts to him.

Tonight, I knuckled down and hammered out a month's worth of scripts. And damn if I don't feel good, now. Really good. Better than I've felt in a month, almost.

It helps that I really like how they're going. Chapter Two's pace looks like it's going to be about perfect -- which means I've learned a thing or two from Chapter One. Things happen, and as of strip eighteen of Chapter Two, no one's sat across a table from someone else while drinking coffee. This can only be a good sign.

It's interesting, however. I'm just as tired, and ill, and overly stressed, as I was yesterday. And this morning. (I was significantly late this morning, because I was so tired I could barely make it out of bed. My boss understood, because she feels exactly the same way.) Nothing's changed.

But I've written. I've written dialogue and script and plot. And it's good stuff. I can feel the goodness. (Of all my problems, low self esteem isn't on the list.)

So I feel good. I have hope. It all seems worth it. It all seems like it's going to work.

I've also had some very, very good news on the Snarky shirt front. Expect something tomorrow or Friday, at this rate. We're also going to be offering the Revelations: Strunk & White designs as a poster -- which some argue it should have been in the first place. (Though the run was a success, so I'm not complaining either way.)

So I feel productive. I feel creative. I feel in control. And that trumps exhausted, sick and stressed every day of the week, in my book.

Now -- to write some pulp.

Posted by Eric Burns-White at August 10, 2005 6:54 PM

Comments

Comment from: JediLora posted at August 10, 2005 7:24 PM

Spiffing! I'd definitely buy a poster of that. I have too many English major friends to not buy it as a gift.

Comment from: Kate Sith posted at August 10, 2005 7:37 PM

Ah, yes. Nothing beats a creation high. Working feverishly only to sit back, gaze up on what you've wrought, and declare 'look upon my works, ye mighty, and say hay-ull yeah!'.

And maybe throw the horns.

You know.

\m/

Comment from: Eric Burns posted at August 10, 2005 7:38 PM

Then we would definitely sell it to you.

Comment from: Aerin posted at August 10, 2005 8:44 PM

Yay for stuff! I plan on buying both a snarky shirt and a revelations poster.

If you keep offering stuff this cool, I'm going to be very broke.

Comment from: Paul Gadzikowski posted at August 10, 2005 8:44 PM

I like to say that when I'm drawing comic strips is when I touch God. But I don't say it often because God is, y'know, a four-letter word.

Comment from: Eric Burns posted at August 10, 2005 8:46 PM

The statement works for me, Paul. ;)

Comment from: mckenzee posted at August 10, 2005 10:07 PM

A Snarky shirt? What a great idea!

Eric, I need to ask... nope, I'll email it. That way you can let me down gently.

Comment from: quiller posted at August 10, 2005 11:07 PM

But be sure to post a comment that you need to ask Eric a question in private. That's an important part of the process.

Comment from: lucastds posted at August 11, 2005 1:42 AM

I'm glad you're feeling better. I wrote two weeks of scripts yesterday, so I'm feelin' you.

Not literally... but... er...

Comment from: Paul Gadzikowski posted at August 11, 2005 9:30 AM

Say, Eric, going back to your hard drive troubles. It ought to make you feel better about yourself, relative to the rest of the world anyway, reading Wednesday's Penny Arcade comic and rant about the USB drive Jerry gave Mike for backing up all their files. Apparently Mike was operating under the misapprehension that "back up" means "move over" rather than "copy to", and was not corrected till after the drive went bad this week. Mike's post says all the data can be retreived, yay, and they won't even have to hock the new kid to pay for it.

Comment from: Wednesday posted at August 11, 2005 11:10 AM

Hey, Eric, I need to remind you in private about that thing with the stuff that goes in the box, or the envelope, and then into the box, and then onto a plane.