« Momentum and the lack thereof. | Main | [w] Life has never been the same since Shaun of the Dead. »

Eric: Of course, City of Heroes lets me design a costume on a 3D model, which pen and paper roleplaying has trouble competing with. But that's minor, right? Right?

If you've been paying attention over this past year, you know that one of my favorite role playing games to come along in a long time is Chad Underkoffler's Dead Inside. If not, search through the archives and see a bit more. Suffice it to say, it's astoundingly cool. Underkoffler knows his craft.

Well, he's turned his craft -- and his PDQ resolution system -- to super heroes, which is a genre I know a thing or two about. And he's published the results in Truth & Justice, a game with an ampersand in the title. Fans of these comics we call web might also be interested to know that Randy Milholland (best known for his now defunct Ed Gein website) and Greg Holkan (who's in a special purgatory for people stuck trying to draw things I wrote) have both contributed some truly cool artwork to the book.

I love this game. And it's not because of the art, or because Chad writes good stuff, even though both of those are true. I love this game because for the first time in a superhero role playing game, I can honestly see evidence of a system that is designed to play the way a comic book reads -- with flexibility.

Now, don't get upset when you read that. I am an old school superhero RPG player and GM. I had and played the first edition of Villains and Vigilantes. I played many, many editions of Champions. I played GURPS Supers. I paused many times and said "what the fuck is this shit?" with my copy of Heroes Unlimited. I have the superhero street cred, mister.

The thing about most Superhero RPGs isn't a lack of flexibility. It's a lack of situational adaptability. Take Champions. You can do anything in Champions. You really can. When Champions Third Edition was out, I could create any character I wanted in it -- model any character from comic books. The only one I couldn't pull off was the Scarlet Witch, because her probability manipulation didn't play like Luck. It played like 'Writer fiat.' And when Champions Fourth (the Big Blue Book) came out, that stopped being a problem because there were Variable Power Pools.

But if you're going to do it, you really need to have number crunched it in advance. If you have a 12d6 energy blast defined as a supercold ice blast, you can't use your cold powers to freeze your opponents in a block of ice unless you've spent the points on Entanglement. If you have a lot of tricks you want, you need something like an Elemental Control or a Multipower to spare points while you make everything up, and even those require crunching the number and spending the points in advance. Otherwise, when you try to use your powers in unique, situational ways, it's up to the GM to kludge around things. The game isn't designed to simply handle new situations.

It's the same with the other games I mentioned -- a good GM could model almost any super power he wanted, but if a given power effect wasn't predefined, then it was a matter of winging it and having a sense that the player was 'getting away with something.'

And City of Heroes? Don't get me started. Like all cRPGs, you can do what you can do, period. No flexibility at all. In fact, with the Issue Five beta, one event has the heroes fighting a fire. Now, I'll admit I haven't tried an Ice Controller or Blaster in that event, but I've played other heroes... and there's no way to use their powers to fight the blaze. My Sonics guy couldn't use his super lungs to blow out flames. A person with superspeed couldn't whirl his hands into a tiny vacuum to suck the flames out. No, we had to go find the fireman standing nearby with the pile of fire extinguishers, and fly around the building squirting out flames.

Fire extinguishers. Yeah, I was feeling the superhuman rush there.

Anyway. The thing about Truth & Justice is your powers are a starting point. You have a number of powers -- like "Ice Beam" or "Super Strength." And having those means having... well, all the tricks associated with them. If you have ice beam, and you want to try trapping an enemy in a block of ice instead of blasting him, you tell the GM, maybe spend a hero point or two (think Karma or Blood Pool or Mana or any other action point based RPG of the past decade), have an easily determined alteration of difficulty and effectiveness based on it, and just do it. Tricks you do a lot -- say you freeze your enemies solid all the time -- you can take as lower cost "Stunts," that either give you broader abilities (spin-off stunts, like the Flash using his speed to run up the side of a wall) or give you bonuses for what you're already doing (signature stunts -- like Captain America bouncing his shield off three different Nazis' heads in one throw. You just associate that with him, so it makes sense he gets a bonus to do it).

Suddenly, you get the whole range of your powers. You're actively encouraged to think your way out of the situation instead of just firing off energy blast after energy blast, and arguing about whether or not your energy blast's special effect of being 'fire blasts' means you can set the ground on fire and burn them over time or not. That to me is vastly more "comic book" like -- it's almost as broad as the highly conceptual Nobilis, but where that game is about Gods, a super hero game should have more definition (and risk).

As a test, I made up Transit -- my favorite City of Heroes character, based on a Superguy character I created a lot of years ago. Trans is a teleporter. In conception, that's all she does. She creates gates in space/time using an incredibly precise command of mathematics and physics. She was grown in a lab by bad people for some dark purpose, but she was released before she was programmed by Good People, and now she fights crime.

(Yes, I play some female characters in City of Heroes. I own my piggishness, thank you very much.)

The thing about Transit is she's hard to model in RPGs. Teleportation is usually a means of getting from point A to point B in very little time. You need a game like Champions that'll let you build powers by the result you want, and then tack whatever special effects you like on top of them, to really do the way Transit uses her powers justice. For example, when she punches a crook, she actually punches her hand into a gate, which opens up behind the criminal, hitting them from behind. A cool effect, very possible in comic books. (I think they did that exact trick in Atari Force, making me the one person in North America who read Atari Force.) However, you would need to build it as a form of energy blast (since it's ranged) with specific bonuses to hit and pay points to get to do it at all, in Champions. The same with using opened gates as means of 'deflecting' incoming fire. That's the way it works.

With Truth & Justice, I give Transit Teleportation at the Expert level. If I really want, I can also give her specific stunts of punching enemies from across the room or unexpected angles, or redirecting incoming fire harmlessly away. In the middle of a battle, however, when the Titan Beam is about to fire and destroy the Bakersfield Building, I can shout "I have Transit open a gate in front of the cannon, so the beam fires into it, with the aperture pointing at the cannon itself!" And the GM figures appropriate downshifts for doing something different with Transit's powers, gives me a chance to spend hero points if I wish, and we roll for it.

That's the way super hero comics work. Sudden, innovative flashes. Heroes using their brains as well as the cosmic death beams from beyond the fourth sun. And Truth & Justice nails it.

Making characters up isn't as fun as making up characters in Villains and Vigilantes or Champions. The very open flexibility of T&J means that you don't derive as much enjoyment from speccing out powers, crunching numbers, and figuring out how to push the system in directions you want. There was a time when making up a Champions character was leisure time activity for me. However, in the heat of actually playing a super hero RPG, Truth & Justice nails the genre like few have before it. And that's astoundingly cool.

Posted by Eric Burns-White at August 12, 2005 12:47 PM

Comments

Comment from: Nentuaby posted at August 12, 2005 2:01 PM

"I open a tiny portal to the bottom of the Marianas Trench." = Water bullets.

;)

Comment from: Eric Burns posted at August 12, 2005 2:07 PM

A bit out of Transit's range. ;)

Comment from: 32_footsteps posted at August 12, 2005 2:19 PM

I've been waiting, since I first saw the ads on S*P, for you to comment on the system.

I haven't picked up Truth & Justice yet, but I did, on your recommendation, get Dead Inside (PDF and hard copy, because I like them that much). I also picked up Monkey Ninja Pirate Robot: the RPG, which also happens to use the PDQ system.

The part I like the most isn't the flexibility with the abilities that you mention (but believe me, I do like that). The part I like the most is that it's just so easy to pick up, and more importantly to explain to people.

Just as a sample, try pretending that you're going to explain Dungeons and Dragons to someone who knows role-playing, but has never touched the system before. It's going to take a while, isn't it? With GURPS, it's probably going to be about the same amount of time (I found the logic of GURPS to be easier, but the finer points need more expounding). And Hero/Champions... it took me around four years to finally understand that system, and I personally would dread trying to explain it to someone else.

But PDQ? It feels natural and sensible. It has its quirks, sure, but I like how I can literally explain the system in under five minutes for a fellow role-player and have them understand how it works almost completely (I know because I actually did pull this off). Unlike most systems I could describe this quickly, though, it doesn't have huge gaping holes that make me question whether it could last even a beer-and-pretzels night, let alone a running game.

My only hope would be that Underkoffer has made a "quick and dirty" version of the rules that costs less and just describes the variations T&J makes on the PDQ system. After buying both MNPR and DI, I don't need a rehash of the basics of the system.

Comment from: Remus Shepherd posted at August 12, 2005 2:31 PM

To be fair, the first version of Marvel's Superhero RPG allowed you to create power Feats to use your powers in innovative ways. But it was kind of tacked-on in that system. It's good to hear someone's doing it right.

And I, too, have spent entire afternoons just making up Champions characters. Great system to build characters with, mediocre system to play. :)

Comment from: Snelg posted at August 12, 2005 2:35 PM

the one person in North America who read Atari Force

"Hukka vs. Bob" was one of the funniest mini-stories I'd ever read in a comic (Atari Force #20-- the final issue)

...or so it seemed to me at the time. I still have it around here somewhere. I'll have to go dig it out and see whether or not I was simply easily amused at that age.

Comment from: jpcardier posted at August 12, 2005 2:40 PM

Is it sad that I came up with the same schtick fo""I open a tiny portal to the bottom of the Marianas Trench." = Water bullets.

"I open a portal into the sun." = Probably don't want to do this given the self immolation factor, but always nice to have the nuclear option."

Is it sad that I came up with the same schtick of "gating fun" back when I was 14? Of course, it was for D&D, but.....

Gating is one of those schticks that leads itself naturally into stunting. It can also drive a GM up the wall. Ah, I remember....

In any case, it's sounds like a fun RPG. Two questions:

1. How does it handle power scaling? (ie the Superman vs. Batman conundrum)

2. How does it compare with Mutants and Masterminds?

Thanks Eric.

Comment from: jpcardier posted at August 12, 2005 2:41 PM

blech. sorry about the bad post.

Comment from: John Bankert posted at August 12, 2005 2:59 PM

You had to bring up a cool, new superhero RPG didn't you, Mr. Burns. You ever move back this way, I am so making you run a campaign, even if it means Frank screwing with my characters again.

Damn peas.

Comment from: Eric Burns posted at August 12, 2005 3:05 PM

jpcardier--

I think it handles the scaling issue far better than most, actually. Part of the power of a looser, more improvisational game is you get to come up with novel solutions. So, Mighty Guy might use Super Strength to beat the invulnerable Nimbus into paste, but the cunning street level Trashman needs to use his Super Intelligence (which isn't the same thing as Gadgeteering) to invoke a contingency plan, which leads Nimbus into the car crusher and gets him crushed into said paste.

It also has an "Intensive Training" power that lets the character boost other qualities and statistics, and both gadgets and super gadgets, so it kind of elegantly handles the "Batman Option" style heroes (a la the old DC Heroes game.) Certainly, one can imagine Superman and Batman on the same team in this one.

Comment from: Eric Burns posted at August 12, 2005 3:23 PM

Hey... if we run a Truth & Justice campaign, Frank's abilities to screw with your character will become boundless!

Especially if he takes powers over vegetables.

Comment from: PatMan posted at August 12, 2005 3:23 PM

I read Atari FOrce. I live in North America. However, I am only 24, so I could get away with it. On the other hand, I didn't actually read it until last year when I found it at:

But I was unaware there were more than 5 issues.

Comment from: Snelg posted at August 12, 2005 3:39 PM

I read Atari Force.

But I was unaware there were more than 5 issues.

From the paragraph at the top of the page you linked: "The Atari Force comics shipped with the games Defender, Berzerk, Star Raiders, Phoenix, and Galaxian. Atari Force would later become a full-size comic with a run of 20 issues"

Related tangent: Whoa, Swordquest! Sucky, sucky games, but I still have the first one (Earthworld) stowed away somewhere, and the mini-comic.

Comment from: Eric Christian Berg posted at August 12, 2005 3:58 PM

Your description of Transit's ability reminds me of Harry Keogh in the Necroscope books with his mobius gates. Coincidence or was it an inspiration?

Comment from: Joshua posted at August 12, 2005 4:03 PM

Well, I bought the PDF. I'm a sucker for these things. I mean, I even bought and played SuperWorld, back in the day.

Comment from: Matt Sweeney posted at August 12, 2005 4:39 PM

it is times like this that I wish I had gotten into RPGs. It sounds cool.

Also, I just pulled up that page with the Atari Force comics. Issue 1 opens with, "The Year 2005 AD"

Comment from: Eric Burns posted at August 12, 2005 4:45 PM

It's pretty different from Mutants and Masterminds -- I think it compares well, but both M&M and Silver Age Sentinels, as d20 derivatives, are pretty removed in concept.

That being said, I like all three games. I'm so easy to please!

Comment from: PatMan posted at August 12, 2005 4:49 PM

Well, I haven't really looked at the page in a while. I've had it bookmarked because I someday will read those darn Swordquest comics. And play the game.

Comment from: kirabug posted at August 12, 2005 5:56 PM

Sounds cool - someday I'll have to learn how to play RPGs because they all sound pretty cool.

And Eric? This is writer's block??

Comment from: Kate Sith posted at August 12, 2005 6:32 PM

Oh, man. That sounds freakin' awesome.

Hell, it sounds like it's a good fit for a Madness campaign. See, I've done the role-playing thing, but not so much tabletop as "five people in a chat room with a bunch of characters and no rules". So I guess it's more like 'storytelling' than 'playing'. But anyway. Since there're no numbers involved, it's kinda hard to really translate it over to a rules-based tabletop setting.

But this? I like this. This works.

...now if only I could get five people from four different states into the same room. With a table. ^^;;

Comment from: bartles69 posted at August 12, 2005 7:32 PM

So, Eric, is this the project you teased that you couldn't tell us about due to a certain non-disclosure agreement?

Comment from: Eric Burns posted at August 12, 2005 8:03 PM

Nope. ;)

Comment from: Grumblin posted at August 12, 2005 8:15 PM

Hmmm... and there was me thinking all a good GM needed was a D20 (true random), and 4 D6 (bellcurve random) for any possible result.

And an inherent sense of sadistic humor, of course.. *looks angelic*

Mind I'm one of those who traded in my AD&D dies in for real fantasy combat in the early 90's, and have progressed to *real* (which = non-SCA ...grrrrr....) combat nowadays.

Given that nowadays the full set of AD&D manuals will fit me with a decent set of 15th C armor + choice of weapon, I still think it a good career choice.

GURPS and other systems have always fallen into the Creative Death of Dies, as far as I'm concerned so I never wasted my breath on them past checking what they were about.

This one sounds interesting though. Less die-thowing, more worshipping/excorcising the GM's sense of humor for a session..

Aaaah the good old days.. :)

Comment from: TeleriB posted at August 12, 2005 8:34 PM

Matt Sweeny, Kirabug: If you played make-believe as a kid, you've got the basic skill set. The rest is just system-dependent. ;)

Grumblin: No, SCA fighting isn't "real," but it's educational all the same, and a damn sight closer to real than most role-players get.

But I thought that the first rule of Fight Club is that you don't talk about Fight Club?

Comment from: JDanRyan posted at August 12, 2005 9:27 PM

V&V? Man, it's been years since someone brought that up...

Longest campaign I ever ran was with that system. Four and a half years of real time, nine different players with a few drop-ins here and there, lots of legacy left from one set of players that reverebed through the years. You could still get laughs when someone said "The man... fucked up... my PLANE!" by the end of the run, even though that player had moved out of town over a year earlier.

Despite the silliness involved in power selection ("I'm going to roll to get a magical AND a mutant power today..."), it did allow a lot more freedom as far as conceptualization. Not having to crunch points in the days before laptops with Excel were a tableside option was a big selling point back then.

Now THAT'S something you don't get when you log in and pray the server doesn't crash.

Comment from: Andy H. posted at August 12, 2005 9:37 PM

That's not the only reason for a guy to have a female City of Heroes character. Some characters are just girls.

Comment from: Eric Burns posted at August 12, 2005 9:43 PM

Some characters are just girls.

With hot, hot asses in tights.

Comment from: larksilver posted at August 12, 2005 11:50 PM

heh. Too bad it doesn't go the other way.

I mean, I play female characters in my MMORPG experiences. I play them because I'm a girl myself, and because, while the girls tend to be serious hotties, the boys.. well, they look like big apes. Or sticks wearing robes. or some such. You might think that the designers of these games are not concerned with whether their main audience finds the ass of the male characters hot... almost like their demographic is mostly male, heterosexual, and.. well, with an active pulse.

In EQ2, for instance... when my high elf scout is overburdened, she ... I don't quite know how to describe it, but it's slow, and sultry, and seriously screams sexpot (discovered this by accident, but it's fun to do on purpose and watch the pc's around me stop to watch her move).

When my dark elf male walks, he practically swishes. When the kerran fighter walks, he can't put his arms down, and doesn't twist at the hips. oooh. sexy. yeah, right.

hmm. Oh, and one other note I've made about the guy/girl character dynamic? One of the reason so many guys play hot girls in games like this is that the other pc's tend to be nicer to them. Girls are friendlier to other girls (which leads to some strange convos later, when it's explained that "she" isn't, but I digress), and so, too, are the guys. I notice it, it's a real fact.. when I start a male newbie, I can barely get someone to talk to me at first. But a girl newbie? Half the time people just walk up and give me stuff... even the chubby little hobbit or the skinny, booby-less gnome (I love character creation, but only tend to actually keep 2 or 3 characters much beyond the creation process).

Conspiracy? well, duh.

Comment from: Chris "Slarti" Pinard posted at August 13, 2005 12:18 AM

Especially if he takes powers over vegetables.

Hey, don't knock having power over vegetables. The Swamp Thing'll fuck your shit up, man. :-)

Comment from: miyaa posted at August 13, 2005 1:50 AM

Could it handle superheroes with goofy powers? Like the guy from the Henkien ads whose superpower is turning anything into a bottle of beer at will? (And who would not want that power?)

Comment from: Eric Burns posted at August 13, 2005 2:01 AM

I wouldn't want that power -- I can't drink beer. Or any carbonated liquid. Side effect of the surgery I had. Scotch, on the other hand...

(And yes, it would handle beermorphing perfectly well.)

Comment from: Karacan posted at August 13, 2005 3:27 AM

Your fascination with the PDQ system seems to be largely because apparently, you never played a RPG where you could define your own skills before. :)

I actually find it sort of clumsy, and vastly prefer a little more complex systems - on the gamemaster part - that allow *both* to tamper with your character at character creation until you are sick of it *and* allow for seemless integration into the gameflow while being all open for interpretation and what not.

My two favourite systems are FUDGE (especially Fantasy-Fudge), which requires some work for the gamemaster to set up but none at all from the player and very little to keep running, and Theatrix for some good diceless fun. PDQ appears to be heavily influenced by either one, but I find FUDGE to have the more elegant mechanisms.

That said, I purchased Dead Inside and Cold Hard World due to both Mr. Milholland's advertising and your snarking of it. I love the setting, though I have to say again that I am a bit disappointed in the "foggyness" that takes place during conflicts.

I prefer to argue with my fellow players how to solve a situation, not with my GM how this particular feat is perfect for solving it - which is the basic setup for the PDQ system, I think.

Comment from: Eric Burns posted at August 13, 2005 3:59 AM

For the record... I've played both FUDGE and Theatrix. And Nobilis, which makes the 'define skills' bits in all three games look like pikers.

I like PDQ for a lot of reasons, but one of the strongest is its solid grounding in prose description.

Comment from: Eric Burns posted at August 13, 2005 4:03 AM

(Hit post too soon)

The prose description system, to my mind, takes the best elements of a game like Baron M½nchhausen or Nobilis, and adds the element of risk and uncertainty of dice. I think that's pretty cool. (And a system where your abilities degrade as the combat goes on resonates with me.)

Comment from: Karacan posted at August 13, 2005 4:30 AM

Okay, okay, I should have known better that if there was *one* other person who actually knows and played both of these systems before (and more, I never played or even heared of Nobilis or M½nchhausen), it must have been you. :)

Anyway, to each his own - everyone has the rpg-system he feels most comfortable in. I can see the power of PDQ, but I just can't shake of the feeling that it tries to feel like FUDGE - but ultimately somehow fails to. Which I heavily adapted for my own purposes, which is the only system I can be bothered to gamemaster nowadays.

By no means stop advertising and make me look up unknown independent roleplaying systems - as I said, I purchased Dead Inside plus Sourcebook, and I certainly don't regret it.

Comment from: Connor Moran posted at August 13, 2005 10:27 AM

The real question is, can it handle the nigh-unstoppable fruit pies offensive?

Comment from: quiller posted at August 13, 2005 1:26 PM

Power to manifest tasty fruit pies? That would be nigh-unstoppable indeed!

Hey Eric, you need to create Snarkman with power over tasty biscuits and shortbread!

(Well, he'd make a good NPC anyways...)

Comment from: Nentuaby posted at August 13, 2005 9:16 PM

jpcardier:

It's pretty standard starter fare for those looking for "stunt" type powers. Gates are depressingly inflexible without, and extremely nasty with, thought put into them. So I'm not at all surprised you were thinking of that kind of thing at 14; that's about the age I was too.

Admittedly... I still give these things thought. ;) I recently dreampt up an entire system of magic for a fantasy setting based solely on teleportation.

Comment from: Doc posted at August 14, 2005 6:53 AM

Fruit pies would be lethal! So long as they were HOT fruit pies, you ever bitten into a fresh out of the oven apple or mince pie?

And Eric you're going to have to snark nobilis some time, I want to hear more about this game, having been entranced by Dead Inside (which I own) and In Nomine (which I don't) for some time. Having two great tastes that taste great together sounds good.

For that matter do we get to see the In Nomine/ Dead Inside/ Nobilis cross over rules you were writing a while ago?

Comment from: Doc posted at August 14, 2005 6:57 AM

Oh I don't suppose anyone has an opinion on the CHW expansion to DI?

Comment from: Doc posted at August 14, 2005 7:08 AM

Eric, nevermind the nobilis thing. I just found this.

You I presume?

Comment from: SeanH posted at August 14, 2005 7:52 AM

Re: girls in games;

My RPG characters are mostly female, probably about two-thirds or three-quarters of them. And yes, I'm definitely male. I just prefer to play females. When I write, the main character is female more often than not, and I always think my female characters are more interesting than my males. But, then, that's just me.

Doc: it looks like a link, but it goes nowhere! NOWHERE!

Comment from: Doc posted at August 14, 2005 7:59 AM

How in the hell did I manage that?

I seem to be totally unable to use an a href tag competently.

Ah well, this was what I was linking to:

just a review of nobilis by one E. Burns.

Comment from: gwalla posted at August 14, 2005 3:12 PM

Doc: I feel like a schmuck for explaining a joke, but they were referring to old Hostess Fruit Pie comic ads.

Comment from: Doc posted at August 14, 2005 6:47 PM

Not my day... I'll blame it on my non-americanisnm...ness.

Comment from: Sukotto posted at August 15, 2005 10:28 AM

Eric, in case you haven't read them yet, "Jumper" and the sequel "Reflex" have a nice take on teleportation. (Both by Steven Gould).

"Jumper", a fairly light fantasy "coming of age" scifi, tells the story of a teen runaway that discovers he has the power to teleport.

The much darker "Reflex" takes place 10 years later when he's unexpectedly kidnapped and systematically tortured by an illuminati-type group. The book chronicles his attempts to escape and, in parallel, his wife's attempts to locate and rescue him.

I quite enjoyed them both.

Comment from: Matt Sweeney posted at August 15, 2005 4:45 PM

"Matt Sweeny, Kirabug: If you played make-believe as a kid, you've got the basic skill set. The rest is just system-dependent."

You mean people stop playing make-believe when they get older? What the hell do they do in traffic/on the train/bored to death at work, if not day dream fantasies of one sort or another? Though, this does explain some of the looks when I start talking to myself.

Seriously, the issue is more of a social variety. For various reasons (including just plain stupidity) I fought my geeky tendancies for years. Now that I've finally embraced them, I found myself a little out in the cold. Hard to do RPGs when you don't know anyone else who plays RPGs.

Now, how to kill the last 30 minutes of work with out acctually, you know, working?

Comment from: Maastrictian posted at August 15, 2005 4:59 PM

Another RPG that does this well is Godlike, by Arc Dream:

All powers have between one and four characteristics, Attacks, Defends, Robust, and Useful Outside Combat. "Harm", the generic blaster power, can clearly Attack. It also Defends (I knock him back before he can attack me), is Robust (I can use it at any time), and is Useful Outside Combat (I blow open this door). Flavor is entirely up to the player.

Powers can be modified when bought (to be painful, require a gesture, be easy to use, or whatever). Finally, tricks can be learned with a power, which add to your dice pool when you do something you are particularly good at (like blasting multiple targets at once).

This flexible power system is combined with an innovated dice rolling system to create an excellent game.

--Chris