« WEBSNARKERY: Two days left for Strunk and White tee shirts! | Main | I could use some lattes and abuse, right now. »

Eric: Is it me, or is Choo Choo Bear totally copping a feel, here? With his face, no less!

20050804.jpg(From Crap I Drew On My Lunch Break! Click on the thumbnail for full sized Drama Aggro!)

There's a shout out to me (along with many other people) in today's CIDOMLB strip ("No biscuit for you!"), but I don't think it's enough of the point for me to do the whole tired "submitted without comment" parenthetical comments riff you've seen me do. Instead, we'll just talk about today's strip in general.

Jin Wicked's having a bit of a sally with other peoples' drawing styles here -- a la Checkerboard Nightmare -- which shows her versatility and skill. Her Megatokyo panel is particularly strong, as is her Wapsi reference. Mostly, however, I like the way strips like this -- if we get past the question of metahumor -- use art styles to tie together the thesis of the strip. She doesn't have to say anything about A Modest Destiny, the whole Blank Label thing, Penny Arcade or the like -- she gets to obliquely reference them while talking about the key to her rant.

Anyway -- this has to be short. I am A) sick, B) drugged and C) in a training class this morning, so you won't hear much from me. But, as always, good on Jin.

Posted by Eric Burns-White at August 4, 2005 10:09 AM

Comments

Comment from: kirabug posted at August 4, 2005 1:05 PM

You're sick too? Are people driving you crazy asking why you're at work if you're sick - and then in the next breath asking you to do two dozen things by end of day?

Comment from: Kristofer Straub posted at August 4, 2005 2:10 PM

Oh, I love it!

Comment from: Kate Sith posted at August 4, 2005 2:29 PM

Dangit Eric! You had to use the d-word again. I almost had to wait until I got home to read this, but then I remembered the LJ-feed, so I managed to get to that.

...and then promptly was blocked from the comic because it had 'adult content'. -_-

Comment from: Matt Sweeney posted at August 4, 2005 3:59 PM

Dangit Eric! You had to use the d-word again.

the d-word?

And someone really needs to loosen up the restrictions on their filters if either Websnark or Crap I Drew is throwing a flag.

Comment from: Kate Sith posted at August 4, 2005 4:18 PM

"Drugged". 8'P

And yeah, they do need to lighten up, but it's a Panera thing, so I don't have much control. Next time it shows up, I'll prolly drop 'em an e-mail.

Comment from: PatMan posted at August 4, 2005 6:21 PM

I don't know about the Crap You Drew, but I'm sure some of the Crap I Drew might be questionable. But as for that Crap Jim Drew, that stuff's all right. ;)

Comment from: PatMan posted at August 4, 2005 6:23 PM

Oh, god. I wrote Jim instead of Jin. Goodbye, world.

Comment from: SeanH posted at August 4, 2005 6:35 PM

So that's Wapsi Square, there in the second panel?

I hate to think about what Fruit Fucker is apparently preparing to do to the Marshmallow Kitty.

Comment from: Egarwaen posted at August 4, 2005 8:31 PM

That's definitely Wapsi Square.

Very definitely.

Wapsi Square's main character is somewhat unmistakable in... Certain aspects.

Comment from: Kate Sith posted at August 4, 2005 10:46 PM

Wapsi Square's main character is somewhat unmistakable in... Certain aspects.

Bah. No need to dance around it. HUGE TRACTS OF LAND!

(Mon's pretty awesome, though. Dig that glyphic speech.)

Comment from: gwalla posted at August 4, 2005 11:22 PM

I find it interesting that Jin drew her Wapsi-self more sexed-up (in terms of the face) than Monica usually is.

Comment from: Doug Dawson posted at August 4, 2005 11:38 PM

Monica's not the only generously endowed character out there...but the mimicing of the Wapsi lettering pretty much cinches it.

Comment from: Dave Van Domelen posted at August 5, 2005 12:05 AM

Not sure why people are even wondering about the Wapsi bit. The nose, mouth and eyes form a very distinctive combination. She essentially put Monica's face on her own head (other Wapsi characters have similar noses and mouths, but the eyes are clearly Monica).

Comment from: Kristofer Straub posted at August 5, 2005 1:03 AM

Guys, although she fudged the distance between outer eye-line and the pupil (Paul Taylor opts for a nautilian Golden Rectangle approach of eyespace management, whereas here Wicked is using a fractal distribution primarily used in Frazetta's backgrounds), I can say with 90% certainty that she is in fact poking fun at Taylor's "Wapsi Square" themed Comixpedia cover.

The lettering emblazoned across Jin's parodic Monica in panel two also supports this theory strongly, given that -- though distorted by Monica's breasts -- her shirt in the August cover for Comixpedia features the Blank Label Comics logo, while here as a contrast we see that Jin's avatar does not belong to a group ("NOT IN A GROUP," sic).

However, this consideration may require another eighty or ninety comments on this particular Websnark entry. I'm certainly willing to co-audit other hypotheses.

Comment from: Merus posted at August 5, 2005 1:52 AM

This might be a good time to introduce my latest invention! I call it the Comment-Squashing Machine! It squashes comments, oh my yes.

For instance, here's eighty to ninety comments squashed into a single paragraph:

Balloons wicked c-cup pedantry piro drama flame flame suck hitler.

Hmm, that's technically accurate but not exactly useful or grammaically correct. This is going to need some mroe work.

Comment from: Aerin posted at August 5, 2005 2:10 AM

Well, two snarks within a month on this comic were enough to get me on an archive dig. Good, good stuff. And the "am I a goth" comic that Eric snarked last time still sends me into wild fits of giggles every time I see it.

Comment from: SeanH posted at August 5, 2005 5:11 AM

So hold on, let me be absolutely straight - is it then the unanimous opinion of the readers of this blog that the character making an impromptu appearance in panel #2 (upper-left) of the 04/09 instalment of Jin Wicked's Crap I Drew on My Lunch Break is in fact usually found in Paul "Pablo" Taylor's Wapsi Square?

:P

Comment from: Jin Wicked posted at August 5, 2005 6:37 AM

Man, you guys...

I thought it was pretty obvious that the second panel is supposed to be Jade from PvP.

Wapsi Square? Come on. What y'all been smoking?

Comment from: Eric Burns posted at August 5, 2005 6:41 AM

4/9? September 4? April 9?

The August 8 strip I think we all agree has a drawing of Jin's avatar in a style suggestive of Taylor's, though it's clearly not supposed to actually be one of Taylor's characters....

And I still say Choo Choo Bear's going for second base.

Comment from: Jin Wicked posted at August 5, 2005 6:56 AM

Hey Eric, can you email me, I want to show you a link to something but I can't find an email address for you anywhere (maybe I am just stupid; I mean, I could be when people can't even recognize my PvP characters.)

Comment from: 32_footsteps posted at August 5, 2005 7:54 AM

As for why there would be any question as to which character is in the upper-right quadrant of the comic... well, not everyone reads every comic.

And Eric, you can somehow read next Monday's comic? Color me impressed.

Comment from: Jin Wicked posted at August 5, 2005 8:13 AM

Me too. I don't even update on Monday.

Tuesday's is posted in my private journal though. ;)

Comment from: Eric Burns posted at August 5, 2005 8:18 AM

E-mail sent!

And hey, how are we supposed to recognize that as Jade? Her arms aren't folded in front of her chest!

(I'm not entirely sure she could fold her arms in front of that chest.)

Comment from: Jin Wicked posted at August 5, 2005 8:28 AM

I hope you're being sarcastic!

Comment from: Eric Burns posted at August 5, 2005 9:06 AM

Could it be? Could it be?

Comment from: 32_footsteps posted at August 5, 2005 11:30 AM

Or maybe Eric can just see whatever Jin is going to draw on this coming Monday, whether or not she actually posts it to the internet. Either he's getting a bit too heavy into his pulp character, or he's got psychic powers beyond the ken of mere mortals like myself. "Who knows what art lurks in the minds of web cartoonists? The Oviraptor knows!"

As for what Choo Choo Bear is trying to do... well, I think this S*P makes his intentions perfectly clear.

Comment from: Matt Sweeney posted at August 5, 2005 11:42 AM

T-SHIRT!

Comment from: SeanH posted at August 5, 2005 11:42 AM

Typo, Eric. I meant 04/08, as in, the fourth of August, in a place where the day comes before the month because it goes in ascending order and that's just sensible.

Comment from: Matt Sweeney posted at August 5, 2005 2:34 PM

I'm sorry, but the hands in the third panel kind of freak me out.

Just needed to say that.

Comment from: 32_footsteps posted at August 5, 2005 2:58 PM

Mwa ha ha, my evil scheme to make money by selling counterfeit Websnark shirts is already going to plan. Soon, all of webcomic criticism will be under my grasp! Mwa ha ha, I say!

Comment from: Paul Gadzikowski posted at August 5, 2005 5:22 PM

I'm sorry, but the hands in the third panel kind of freak me out.

Though I say it myself, there's a trick to pastiching the true nature of the Megatokyo characters' hands:

Comment from: 32_footsteps posted at August 5, 2005 6:03 PM

Paul, that's brilliant for the Schlock Mercenary bit alone. Tayler's need to splay a character's fingers always baffled me.

Comment from: JDanRyan posted at August 6, 2005 12:20 AM

My thanks for introducing me to CRAP through this snark. I gave three hours last night to going through the archives for both CRAP and ASYLUM, and had to add this one to the (ever lenghtening) list of links I hit for a comics fix.