« Sammy was eating a sandwich? Not a biscuit? Come *on...* | Main | [w] Drift and Anchor (I: Alien) »

Wednesday: [w] Silence Perpetuated

Eric's Powerbook fell over last night. Dying-to-dead hard drive. And he has Familial Obligations today. So. Well. He won't be around.

So you're stuck with me.

Oh, stop that face. If it makes you feel better, I'll go put on a beard.

Posted by Wednesday Burns-White at July 4, 2005 12:03 PM

Comments

Comment from: Dave Van Domelen posted at July 4, 2005 12:21 PM

Are you saying you're bearding for someone? :)

Comment from: Wednesday posted at July 4, 2005 12:25 PM

Thankfully, no.

Comment from: Zaq posted at July 4, 2005 12:59 PM

We only want the beard if we can have photographs... because hey, sight gag. Everyone loves a good sight gag.

Otherwise, the knowledge that somewhere, out there somewhere, there's Wednesday, in a beard, to know this... well, it's a little creepy.

The difference between creepy and comedy is a digital camera.

Comment from: UrsulaV posted at July 4, 2005 2:12 PM

Does this mean we're going to slip into an evil alternate universe where Wednesday has a beard?

Comment from: Kate Sith posted at July 4, 2005 2:43 PM

Please no beard. I've had to do that once. It's never good.

..no, wait, twice. Tho the first was more of a goatee. And now that I remember it, it was actually pretty funny.

hm.

The second time was dreadful, tho, and it's actually been committed to video somewhere. Ugh.

No, I'd suggest the safer, less mind-bending alternative: puppets.

Comment from: kirabug posted at July 4, 2005 4:01 PM

Gossamer Commons was excellent today.

Dying powerbooks are a horrible thing! Does Eric have more than one computer? If not, will there be a collection for us to help replace the old one?

In the evil alternate universe, would Wednesday have a beard, or would she actually be Eric, and vice versa?

Comment from: MasonK posted at July 4, 2005 4:41 PM

Worry not for Eric, for his powerbook is a work machine, which means the expense for fixing it is theirs, not his. His PC is fine, so he can still play City of Heroes.

Really, who can ask for more out of life?

Weds? I dare you to draw yourself with a beard. In fact, I double-dog dare you.

Comment from: Paul Gadzikowski posted at July 4, 2005 4:49 PM

I hope Eric has a second computer (besides on his desk at work). My own laptop, after its third cord-tripping incident, has the interior of the cord plug loose inside its casing now, and must be sent to Gateway for repair. If there weren't also a computer in the office upstairs and another laptop in the house I dunno what I'd do. (Lose the Daily Grind for one, probably, but that's not what I mean and I think we all know that.)

Comment from: Tangent posted at July 4, 2005 5:46 PM

I think it would be something like this:

Hey, someone's gotta plug Elf Life, it deserves it :D

Rob H

Comment from: Wednesday posted at July 4, 2005 6:21 PM

Uh... right.

I must be the only person ever who really doesn't get the appeal of Elf Life. It consistently does Nothing For Me At All, and I end up feeling somewhat guilty about it.

Comment from: unliz posted at July 4, 2005 6:43 PM

Can't stop the mental image of bearded Wednesday...get out of my head!!

Comment from: 32_footsteps posted at July 4, 2005 7:04 PM

Elf Life... that's one for my own person You Had Me... list. The story got too convoluted, the updates got too irregular, and then Carson Fire decided on the rewind just when the story was approaching a really good point and I was about to give it a second chance.

Keep in mind, I'm still reading Megatokyo happily, so I've got a decent tolerance for that kind of thing.

Comment from: Tangent posted at July 4, 2005 8:10 PM

Actually, it's the rewind that brought it back for me. So long as Carsonfire avoids the Prose-based updates, that is. Those are what lost me in the first place, no matter how much they "sped up the storyline"...

Comment from: Bo Lindbergh posted at July 4, 2005 11:31 PM

So, is this previously unmanifested damage from that airport collision a while back?

Comment from: Brendan posted at July 5, 2005 12:38 AM

This is only tangentially related, but the Gossamer Commons website now reads "spykids spykids." Call it a hunch, but I don't think this is a special Tuesday update.

Comment from: Eric Burns posted at July 5, 2005 1:12 AM

I hadn't thought of it, but it seems likely.

It's a progressive hard drive failure. Which means... well, everything, going away. Including pay copy I haven't backed up yet, as well as many other things of import.

I left it at my office, churning away on a directory reconstruction. With luck it will work well enough to let me recover the files. Without luck... well....

And yeah, "spykids spykids" is a hacking, and I don't have the means to pull it down on this computer. With luck, Weds can restore the site tomorrow.

Comment from: Paul Gadzikowski posted at July 5, 2005 8:20 AM

pay copy I haven't backed up yet
You're kidding. I only run a silly little webcomic and I keep two or three local copies of everything. I like to say that God has tried and to date failed to teach my wife that backing up is for before the emergency is in existence.

Comment from: gwalla posted at July 6, 2005 12:59 AM

I totally agree with 32_footsteps about Elf Life. It used to be one of my favorites, but Carson Fire lost his sense of pacing, and a single day of plot stretched into a marathon through seemingly endless digressions, and "prose updates"* just sealed the deal. I've made a few attempts to jump back on board, but I've never been able to maintain interest.

*Not that I'm against prose fiction, of course, or even prose on the web (I quite liked Stefan Gagne's "Sailor Nothing" webfic, a dark magical girl satire). Carson just doesn't have a very interesting prose style, plus, when you come for comics, you kinda want a comic.