« I tried to come up with a pithy title. I failed! I failed! | Main | On the other hand, I could call a copycat strip an homage. Yeeeeeah.... »

Eric: The monthly pimping of other things I write!

I should have mentioned this at the beginning of the week, but this month's Feeding Snarky is now up and available over at Comixpedia.

This was a "topicless" issue -- and let me say for the record that there is something desperately wrong with the word "topicless." It looks misspelled, only I don't for the life of me know how I'd spell it differently. So, this particular column I ruminated about awards -- and about the concept of validation and "Best Hair."

It's a good issue, overall. I love Jeph Jacques's cover art a terrific deal.

It also features a review by the second woman I know of to have the surname of "Astruc." I love that name. It seems mysterious and enigmatic. One also assumes it could describe a truck full of posteriors, but that seems unlikely.

Posted by Eric Burns-White at July 28, 2005 7:20 PM

Comments

Comment from: Wednesday posted at July 28, 2005 7:36 PM

Themeless! It's a THEMELESS issue!

Also, "atopical" could work.

Comment from: SeanH posted at July 28, 2005 7:37 PM

I think the issue is with the strength of the c. "Topickless", perhaps?

Comment from: Minivet posted at July 28, 2005 7:44 PM

I think the "cle" makes it seem to the eye like a mistaken plural of the nonword "topicle." Like "icicless" would.

Comment from: tem2 posted at July 28, 2005 8:40 PM

Yay, Golden! Yay, Grunions! Yay, yay, Golden Grunions! Golden! Grunions! Golden Grunions, yay!

Only six people alive probably still remember the official Golden Grunions chant. Ah, those were the days.

Comment from: gwalla posted at July 28, 2005 10:17 PM

"Topicless" looks wrong because of the extra "ic".

Comment from: tem2 posted at July 28, 2005 10:39 PM

Bah. Just abbreviate: top'less.

Comment from: miyaa posted at July 29, 2005 12:28 AM

God, I ready through that thread too fast. I thought it read that Wednesday had gone topless.

Comment from: SeanH posted at July 29, 2005 3:08 AM

Miyaa: no, everyone else just read it too slow. You got it right.

Comment from: Pseudowolf posted at July 29, 2005 12:32 PM

What is a Grunion? It sounds like a foot problem.

Comment from: gwalla posted at July 29, 2005 10:55 PM

I made the "topless" joke first. I win.

Comment from: siwangmu posted at July 31, 2005 4:01 AM

For the record: Topicless looks entirely normal to me, which doesn't say much for me, apparently. And where do I find Wednesday on the site thing? I wanted to read Wednesdayness!

I'm going to just go poke around and/or look for old issues to answer that question, but I thought I'd let the pouting stand.

It's funny, I always thought I was ambivalent about Wednesday coming to Websnark, but then people were mean to her and I suddenly realized how awesome I think she is. And no, I don't know whether this should be in second or third person.

Comment from: Wednesday posted at July 31, 2005 1:34 PM

Gosh. Thanks. *blush*

As for Comixpedia, I haven't really had the energy to contribute much content since becoming the associate editor for columns, and then having my life, er, explode. Wrote a buncha stuff last year, though.

Comment from: Wednesday posted at July 31, 2005 1:38 PM

Also, is anyone else reminded of the bit in the new Gunbuster where the Plucky, Perky Protagonist misunderstands the situation and tears her shirt?

Comment from: siwangmu posted at July 31, 2005 11:17 PM

No, but I totally wish I were, because that sounds kind of hilarious. Guess I need to google Gunbuster. Also, people should totally be saying more around these parts. How can I effectively procrastinate with so little babbling at websnark? I have the final exam for my entire study abroad program tomorrow, I need quality distraction material pronto!

Comment from: Wednesday posted at August 1, 2005 1:15 PM

Lame summary of first episode, with screenshots, here. Warning: a) boobie shot, ergo NSFW; b) spoiler warning bla bla bla Hermione dies.

The original Gunbuster went from silly to epic in six episodes, but did have some stunning boobie footage; this references that.

Comment from: siwangmu posted at August 2, 2005 12:08 AM

Checked out... strange. And admittedly, the pictures look really cute and the wordplay thing does sound kind of hilarious, but I'm in Japan right now so my brain is probably being affected by their Crazy Rays. (::sniff:: leaving so soon)

Comment from: Matt Sweeney posted at August 4, 2005 3:07 PM

Poking through the SuperGuy link I found this interesting

Always wondered what Eric looked like