« Brought to you by Blue Coal! America's most healthful coal! | Main | I tried to come up with a pithy title. I failed! I failed! »

Eric: Run run run, as fast as you can!

I had all the foreign-bought shirts come back, today. Postage. Different forms for customs than I'd had. Stuff. It's all part of the fun. They were good enough to send the forms to me with the returned packages, though. So I filled them out (along with packing up ten more orders -- we're almost done with these things. Besides -- my new labels came in today, so I got to do free tracking numbers too! It's like a toy!)

Work was heavy, so I was looking to hit the post office between 4 and 4:30. Which meant I was just in time for a monumental downpour. I mean *huge* gusts of wind and sheets of water drenching the world.

Now, here's the thing. When you preprint postage, it includes a postmark. Which means you have to send the packages the same day. If you don't, there will be monumental killing. These are postal workers in New Hampshire. They're well armed.

So... I pushed it to the limit... then hit the car at a dead run, getting it close to the building so I could put packages and paperwork in the trunk. I drove down. I made it in...

...and all the customs paperwork fell out of the folder I kept them in. And became one with a puddle.

...wooonderful.

Anyway. I did new paperwork, and I paid the extra money (had I sent the things in the envelopes the Post Office provides for free, the postage would have been what it was listed as. Since I used different envelopes of the same size... it cost more. I don't get it either). I sent off the shipments. I went outside....

...not a drop of rain in the sky. Not one.

I crossed the street and went to the quaintly named 'yum yum' shop for coffee. I needed coffee after this. And I got some, and a loaf of homemade bread. Only this was after five, so the guy threw in three other loaves for free. They apparently don't do day old.

While they ran the bread through the slicer (the power slicer for bread is mind numbingly dangerous looking, and I desperately want to play with it), a woman and her kids came in. The old man who gave me extra bread walked over to chat with them, eyes wide. He sang the Gingerbread song (you know the one. "You can't catch me -- I'm the Gingerbread Man!") and then gave each one a free Gingerbread man. This place? Rocks.

And then I went back to work until eight, working on Firewall conversion.

This is why you haven't heard from me today. And why this post... well, sucks.

Enjoy!

Posted by Eric Burns-White at July 27, 2005 11:42 PM

Comments

Comment from: larksilver posted at July 28, 2005 12:21 AM

No sucky post there! Not at all!

In just a few words, you shared a whole day with us. And y'know.. a post which features Postal Puddles and Gingerbread Men can't be bad. Nope!

Enjoy your yum yum bread.

Comment from: Eric Burns posted at July 28, 2005 12:24 AM

Eh, there was no narrative, no continuity, no poetry. They were words, they said things, but they didn't sing.

Comment from: Rachi posted at July 28, 2005 12:31 AM

Yay for free bread!

We have an awesome bakery here... unfortunately they're a bit spendy, so I don't go as often as I would like.

Comment from: arscott posted at July 28, 2005 12:37 AM

A Question?

Is the gingerbread song a song as such? I just thought it was more of a rhyming couplet contained in a prose story. Was I a deprived child?

Comment from: Julio Dvulture posted at July 28, 2005 1:14 AM

Talk about sinchronicity: Just before reading this entry I read the commentary for July, 27 Queen of Wands commentary for the Originally aired 05/21/03. What I think is funny is that the title of this snark "Run run run, as fast as you can!" echoed the last phrase by Aeire: "When confronted with the crazy, the best possible solution is to run. Run far, far away and never return."

Comment from: gwalla posted at July 28, 2005 1:30 AM

Synchronicity.

With a "y".

Pedantry is fun.

Comment from: Aerin posted at July 28, 2005 4:12 AM

*snicker*

Oh, and I did a little happy dance when Gaim told me I had an e-mail from Eric Burns with the subject line "Package shipped to you!" I shall do an extended encore of the happy dance when the shirt arrives.

Comment from: Cass posted at July 28, 2005 4:13 AM

Hehe, Eric gets the Stress Reliever Gingerbread -- the Tasty, Tasty Stress Reliever Gingerbread.

Comment from: Doc posted at July 28, 2005 5:30 AM

Small bakeries (or indeed coffee shops, but I've got a thing for family owned bakeries) run by cool people do indeed rock but am I the only one for whom the mental image of an elderly gent dancing in front of some kids and singing the gingerbread song comes off as a little creepy, not dirty old man sexually creepy just odd creepy. I'm sure in real life it was totally natural and appropriate but my mental picture is just a bit... off.

Comment from: djcoffman posted at July 28, 2005 5:32 AM

Why is it that shit like that only happens when you ACTUALLY have to send something? Or when you're in a pinch. I bet that mud puddle never exists on a day when nothing is happening. The mud puddle is probably bored at home waiting for a guy to have to run and mail something--- then his "fuck up your day" alarm goes off and he's on the scene...

I am allowed to curse here, right? DAMN my pirate mouth.

Comment from: Black Dove posted at July 28, 2005 8:50 AM

The

Shirts

ROCK.

I got my two pristine new shirts in the mail yesterday; and proceeded to "break them in" with a few hours of WoW.

My roommate was shocked and terrified that I would dare wear such apparel in public, and I basked in the power.

Results may vary, do not taunt happy fun shirt.

-D

Comment from: Jin Wicked posted at July 28, 2005 8:56 AM

You can order postal forms and other shipping supplies by the buttload here:

May be useful if you need them w/out the printer-dealie's "same day" restrictions. I just pile everything in a big corrugated plastic bin and take it about once a week to ship what's inside.

At least you have a car; I have to get the boy to take me. He's useful for carrying packages though.

Comment from: Wednesday posted at July 28, 2005 9:46 AM

Wait. Dude. Where was this again?

We didn't go there why?

Comment from: kirabug posted at July 28, 2005 9:52 AM

Oh God.

My mom makes the most awesome gingerbread ever.

Suddenly, I want to go home.

Comment from: Eric Burns posted at July 28, 2005 10:11 AM

We didn't go there why?

I've never actually been there before. This time, I happened to be right there and needed coffee. Coffee for LIFE!

Comment from: Wednesday posted at July 28, 2005 10:37 AM

Coffee for LIFE!

Dude. You arguably shouldn't be getting your lifetime coffee supply in one go. It's not like the Rice-a-Roni.

Comment from: WaveLine posted at July 28, 2005 3:08 PM

It's not like the Rice-a-Roni.

Rice-a-Roni with interest. Tasty.

Comment from: Wednesday posted at July 28, 2005 5:09 PM

No one's interested in Rice-a-Roni. We're here for the webcomics, not the Rice-a-Roni!

(And then she ran far, far away before they beat her up.)

Comment from: Miklon posted at July 28, 2005 6:14 PM

Those were some wicked T-storms/downpours that swept through the yesterday. I was out a dinner taking in the afternoon Red Sox game when I remembered my car was parked at home with all its windows down.

Crazy New England weather.

Comment from: Kris@WLP posted at July 28, 2005 6:52 PM

"I'd like you to meet my bud, the Gingerbread Man."

"Call me Logan."