« Oh, and did I mention... | Main | Wait... thumbnailed graphic... parentheses... my God, Eric's SNARKING A WEBCOMIC! »

Eric: On the reconstruction of daily trawls.

So, the multi-hour process of bringing a loaner machine to the two month old "last known good" state continues apace. In the meantime, I've been over on Comic Nation plugging in my reads. And it occured to me, once that was done, it might be interesting for folks to see what I grabbed.

Now, this is by no means a complete list of my daily trawl. It doesn't include any of the 20 or 30 newspaper strips I read, for example (even the ones that are in their system, like Helen). There are alsoplenty of webcomics that aren't on Comic Nation's system yet (including some weird omissions -- how is it they have Courting Disaster and not Greystone Inn, for example). And I was doing this from memory and may have missed a bunch going through the list. Cut me some slack -- I've had a long day. All told, there's probably at least as many strips that aren't on this list that are in my trawl than are.

However, there's still a neatness to it all, and that makes me think "what the heck. Let's put it up on Websnark so people see the stuff I've gotten into the system for the moment." So. Here's... well, a quick hundred webcomics or so that are currently on my radar.

It's behind a cut, to save everyones' sanity. Collect them all!

A Softer World
Nothing Nice to Say
Nukees
Overcompensating
Ozy and Millie
Penny and Aggie
Penny Arcade
Planet Earth (and other tourist traps)
PowerPuff Girls Doujinshi
Vigilante, Ho!
Wapsi Square
White Ninja Comics
Wigu
Yirmumah

Posted by Eric Burns-White at July 5, 2005 3:45 PM

Comments

Comment from: Paul Southworth posted at July 5, 2005 3:58 PM

*COUGH* UGLY HILL *COUGH*

Comment from: Eric Burns posted at July 5, 2005 4:06 PM

Sorry Mr. S. I do read it, but at that point on the list my eyes were glazing over. I missed Krazy Larry too, for that matter.

Comment from: Eric Burns posted at July 5, 2005 4:06 PM

Comment from: Aerin posted at July 5, 2005 4:15 PM

Hey, it's (sort of) an updated trawl! So some good comes of this after all. (Links would be nice, though.)

Speaking of newspaper comics, I'd just been thinking that it's been a while since we checked in on the batshit insane world of Annie...

Comment from: Paul Southworth posted at July 5, 2005 4:56 PM

Hey, I don't know what you're talking about Eric, I just had something in my throat ;)

*COUGH* BULLSHIT *COUGH*

Comment from: DocN posted at July 5, 2005 5:32 PM

Hm. I don't see The Whiteboard in there either. :) Don't know why... should fit right in with all those other obscure, niche comics about obscure, fringe pastimes like playing videogames...

Doc.

Comment from: Phil Kahn posted at July 5, 2005 6:21 PM

I don't see The Hoojie Crew in there...

Then again, I don't blame you :D

Comment from: mckenzee posted at July 5, 2005 6:35 PM

Hey, that list looks very very familiar.

I think we should all pimp Comic Nation, they are doing a great job for me in my time of internet unrest.

Comment from: Alun Clewe posted at July 5, 2005 7:40 PM

Comic Nation's categorization system baffles me, though, at least as far as my comic goes. It's there, but it's labeled as dealing with "Gaming/Geek Culture" and as a "Story" strip, which isn't right on either count. Okay, the latter I guess I can maybe kind of understand...it's actually a story/gag-a-day strip, but I suppose whoever's responsible for assigning genre may have thought the story overpowered the humor. (Which isn't what I'm going for, but eh.) But "Gaming/Geek Culture" makes no sense at all, given that my strip has absolutely nothing at all to do with either gaming or geek culture. My best guess is that since it's a fantasy strip someone must have assumed it was set in the world of some role-playing game (which it isn't), but then there are other fantasy strips that are categorized as "Adventure" or "Life and Relationships", so...heck, I give up.

(I'm actually not entirely sure the G rating that they gave my comic is really appropriate, but I guess that's not worth complaining about.)

Comment from: John Troutman posted at July 5, 2005 8:37 PM

Ditto what Alun said. Andiewear is NOT rated R. A hard PG-13? Yes. But hardly an R. Unless I'm missing the sex, violence, and f-word usage.

Comment from: Eric Burns posted at July 5, 2005 8:45 PM

Right. Guys?

List worked out, off the top of my head, while exhausted and stressing.

Things. Have. Been. Forgotten.

Yeesh.

Comment from: Steve Troop posted at July 5, 2005 8:50 PM

Comment from: kirabug posted at July 5, 2005 9:16 PM

Crud. More comics to add to the list of stuff I need to start reading.

Comment from: DocN posted at July 5, 2005 9:22 PM

No worries Eric. We're here for ya. In fact, lemme help- just click in over to the Belfry, and put everything between 'Alien Dice' and 'Zarla' in your Trawl.

Should only take six or eight hours each day to read, but then you won't have to hear from us fringe lunatics. :)

'Course, each day's Snark would be about sixty-'leven thousand words on three hundred and eighty-four different comics that only about four people each read anyway, but hey. You have lots of free time, right?

Doc.

Comment from: kirabug posted at July 5, 2005 9:25 PM

Doc, did you ever put together a list of the 2004 comics you spotlighted on Whiteboard? The 2003 list was quite handy in building most of my existing trawl :)

--and I want to rephrase my previous comment, so it sounds less ungrateful-brat of me:

Crud. I have homework to do and I never did get finished reading all of the 2005 WCCA award nominees and I haven't read most of the Daily Grind strips or Eric's old trawl list and there's MORE?? This makes the motivation to do the homework much harder to muster.

Comment from: 32_footsteps posted at July 5, 2005 9:36 PM

Wait, a cut was used on Websnark? Isn't that a sign of the apocalypse or something?

And do you really need to put Gossamer Commons on a trawl to remember to read it?

Comment from: Kate Sith posted at July 5, 2005 9:48 PM

::points:: Hey! It's the Doc! You linked Too Late to Run once. Thank you for that.

(Even tho it kinda, uh, isn't existing right now. Hosting issues. But it'll be back! I hope. ^^;; )

Comment from: BZArcher posted at July 5, 2005 9:50 PM

I'm genuinely surprised that Dominic Deegan isn't on there. I know some of the stuff on my daily trawl's fairly obscure, but that's a pretty mainstream one that I'd think would be up your alley.

Comment from: Kate Sith posted at July 5, 2005 10:21 PM

Wow. From that incomplete list, I read... 40 on a regular basis. Counting ones that I've read, period, brings it to 61.

Comment from: Eric Burns posted at July 5, 2005 11:01 PM

You already know I read Melonpool. I don't remember seeing it on the list, actually.

Nope. Just checked. Not on there. So don't mess with me. I'm in a bad mood. ;)

Comment from: DocN posted at July 5, 2005 11:25 PM

Kira- No, I never got around to it, parly because '03s list was in large part obsolete even when I posted it. (Last I looked, at least a full third were gone, ended or changed domains.)

Been meaning to though, you're not the only one that's asked. [insert complaint about day job here]

Kate- I was wondering what happened to that. No updates then gone... Loved the premise and the writing. Let me know when you bring it back, and I'll point a few readers your way.

I only read a little over a half of Eric's list above, but I have over a hundred in my "daily read" folder, plus another... oh, 200 or so in the "check when bored" folder (since some, like Outsider, update every other ice age or so...)

Doc.

Comment from: Lyndon W posted at July 6, 2005 12:18 AM

Good to know that my shameless plugs from months ago weren't in vain.

Comment from: Brendan posted at July 6, 2005 12:24 AM

It looks like CN uses the ratings system from back in the day. Their G goes up to a soft PG-13 (Namir Deiter), their PG flirts with a modern R (Casey and Andy), and some of the harsher PG-13's hit their R (Andiewear).

Jesus Christ, Walky is G? There was an on-camera orgy! Okay, I can't justify that. It's random.

Huh, you actually went through with the Tiffany Ross boycott. I thought you'd changed your mind about that.

Comment from: gwalla posted at July 6, 2005 1:14 AM

Man, that reminds me of when I used to read a metric crapload of webcomics daily.

Comment from: M_Northstar posted at July 6, 2005 4:19 AM

Alun - CNs ratings and categorizations are based on the impression some over-worked, un-payed schlob (Meeowth, to be exact) gets from a quick glance at the archives. Obviously that can't always be correct, even if you ignore the issue of different definitions and so. On their Suggestions forum, there's a sticky thread for suggesting corrections.

Brendan - Tiffany Ross boycott??? What's this about? If it's a past snark, can you point me to it?

Comment from: Paul Gadzikowski posted at July 6, 2005 10:43 AM

So don't mess with me. I'm in a bad mood. ;)
I'm sure you are. I hope my evangelism about backup redundancy hasn't come off as high-and-mighty. I've been where you are, we all have, and I don't mean to rub it in. I guess it's just that I'm about ten years older'n you, and mean to have been there for the last time.

Comment from: Eric Burns posted at July 6, 2005 11:19 AM

Paul -- you're ten years older than me? Really?

Huh.

I'm used to being way older than everyone else in the room, when it comes to webcomics circles.

Comment from: Wednesday posted at July 6, 2005 11:32 AM

I'm used to being way older than everyone else in the room,

I can't believe I'm going to let that straight line go right past me!

Comment from: 32_footsteps posted at July 6, 2005 11:40 AM

Eh, rating something for content is always a dicey situation no matter what. Unless, of course, you dice up the ratings quite fine, but then that's too complicated for some people. And there's always issues for what you could get away with at different settings (webcomics I'll read from work are usually more tame - Something Positive is the one exception, and that's mostly due to the sheer density of text, hiding the "objectionable content").

As for the Tiffany Ross matter... not to bring up old scars, but you can read about the issue right here. A thorny issue to be sure, and one that caused alot of hard feelings. I've actually edited this post three times to keep from setting things off again. I'm only linking to the entry above as a reminder of what went on and how negative things can be.

Comment from: Kris@WLP posted at July 6, 2005 1:29 PM

I prefer http://www.thewebcomiclist.com/ . Much more comprehensive listing.

Comment from: Paul Gadzikowski posted at July 6, 2005 2:32 PM

I'm 45 and a half. You're, what, mid-thirties, aren't you? You and Scott Kurtz. Mostly webcomic creators are half my age or less, and all but a miniscule count of the rest are about your age. Bill Holbrook's plus or minus a few months, but I don't count him because he was a pro before he went online. If you allow Holbrook, Phil Foglio's a year or three older than I. And when this came up at Comixpedia someone (maybe Al himself) said Al Schroeder's working the fourth decade. I may not be a figurative Old Man of Webcomics like guys who put theirs up in the dialup age, but I'm a literal one.

Comment from: Tangent posted at July 6, 2005 4:48 PM

Well, that's ten years older than *me* at least. I had thought that Eric was younger than me though by a few years...

Rob

Comment from: Tim Tylor posted at July 6, 2005 4:54 PM

I don't know how old Donna Bar is, but she's been drawing since 1954 according to the Desert Peach blurb.

Comment from: Eric Burns posted at July 6, 2005 5:07 PM

I'm thirty-seven and a half, so yeah -- you've got me by a few years (not quite ten, but who's quibbling?)

Comment from: Kate Sith posted at July 6, 2005 7:40 PM

I'm thirty-seven and a half, so yeah

Wowww.

You're closer to my dad's age than you are to mine.

::stares::

(kidding... though at just shy of 22 I find myself feeling like an old fogey every now and again... I guess it's all relative! ^^)

Comment from: Flogger posted at July 6, 2005 8:03 PM

Eric:

Might I recommend checking out The PC Weenies as you make your daily trawls? :)

Comment from: Bo Lindbergh posted at July 6, 2005 11:25 PM

Don't forget to grep your mailbox for "recommendation" to rebuild your backlog. You did say you had your e-mail stored elsewhere, didn't you?

Comment from: 32_footsteps posted at July 7, 2005 12:18 AM

I dunno... it's more than a bit odd to me that Paul G. is older than my mom.

Yes, I said it, the one sentence that will make him hate me for the rest of time. I couldn't help it - he threw is age out there.

Of course, keep in mind, that my family is a bit skewed in those regards... my mom just had her 19th birthday and my dad was a few weeks shy of his 21 when I was born. Among the lessons I learned from my parents was to be responsible about such things... moreso than they were, at any rate.

Comment from: Paul Gadzikowski posted at July 7, 2005 7:34 AM

I dunno... it's more than a bit odd to me that Paul G. is older than my mom.

No huhu. I'm sure I'm older than many people's moms. (What's freaking me out since my post yesterday, for multiple reasons, is the realization that Phil Foglio is almost fifty.)

Comment from: Chris Daily posted at November 14, 2005 3:53 AM

Hey cool! I think I remember seeing Striptease on the list last year. Does "on the radar" mean it's being read, or still on your list of "things to read"

if you need entisement, my comic has: melodrama! romantic twists! cliches! hot girls (in all sizes!)

word.

Comment from: siwangmu posted at November 14, 2005 4:06 PM

Okay, uh, I just went and skimmed this to see why someone was posting so far back, got to hot girls (in all sizes!) and without pause opened the link. You've just apparently gained a reader, because you've created in me strong desire to go check out your comic and I'm positively biased by the fact that you advertised that!

Man, I hope you don't suck. (j/k)