« [w] No, no, no. It's not you. | Main | WEBSNARKERY: Grammatical Judgement In Convenient Shirt Form! »

Eric: I think I dated that girl, once...

(From A Softer World. Click on the thumbnail for full sized ruminations on telepathy!)

In a photo strip like A Softer World, where the captions drive the funny, generally in contrast with the pictures, execution is everything. The setup builds expectation that then gets subverted in the punchline. Today's did it about as well as I've seen. It's not that it's fall down funny -- it's that it just catches you right because it's just so wrong.

horne and comeau get a biscuit. A tasty, tasty biscuit. Sadly, rationing means they have to share one between themselves. But it's a good sized biscuit, at least.

Posted by Eric Burns-White at July 22, 2005 11:30 AM

Comments

Comment from: SeanH posted at July 22, 2005 1:09 PM

Archives devoured, added to regular reading list. Thank you, Mr Burns.

Comment from: Aerin posted at July 22, 2005 4:33 PM

What a brilliant comic. Websnark has made my trawl grow quite mammoth.

Comment from: Alexis Christoforides posted at July 22, 2005 4:41 PM

Same here, thank you. I've been to A Softer World before, but it didn't stick with me until now.

Also, slightly off-topic but since we're talking photo-comics: here's one I love from Whispered Apologies.

No funny, but well-executed, and just plain AAAWWWW.

Comment from: bartles69 posted at July 22, 2005 5:47 PM

And then of course there's .

Thanks again, Eric.

-JB

Comment from: mckenzee posted at July 22, 2005 9:39 PM

Is this where I start a feud with joey?

I'm afraid of emily.

Comment from: Suzanne posted at July 23, 2005 1:17 AM

I'm not sure why this strip never really spoke to me. Maybe because it rings so true for me...almost every strip they post rings true. It's scary.