« In other news, the Duke Nukem sequel shipped, O.J. found the real killers and Hell is totally frozen over! | Main | Severe Tire Damage »

Eric: I can't wait to hear their take on the Tenth Planet....

I keep meaning to mention Last Week's News.

This is... well, it's sort of like a webcomic, and it's sort of like a satirical newspaper site, and it's sort of like other stuff too. Plus, things. And stuff. And it's funny. It's written by Greg Fishbone, who is among that elusive tribe of heroes known as the Superguy Alumni. Greg, after he got his law degree, went one step further and created a magazine called Mythic Heroes, which I and others wrote for. It worked to bring serialized pulp and superhero stories (fiction, not comics) to comic book shops. Unfortunately, it didn't work out, but it was an astoundingly exciting time for me and for others. I see him once or twice a year, and we have scotch and talk about things. And I keep meaning to bring up Last Week's News here, because it's funny.

Well, last week Gossamer Commons got the LWN treatment, and I got a tremendous kick out of it. And so I get to combine a self serving post with finally mentioning LWN. And that's like a total win/win!

Posted by Eric Burns-White at July 31, 2005 10:41 PM

Comments

Comment from: Tangent posted at July 31, 2005 10:55 PM

Those Keebler Elves can be sooooo evil. :D

Comment from: Flower of December posted at July 31, 2005 11:46 PM

Remember how halfway through June you did that comics triangulation thing for Webcomics Examiner and it seemed like most of the other titles people looked at were a bit too obscure for you to even know? That's how I feel when I look at Last Week's News.

Back to the topic at hand, has anyone else noticed that Keebler Elves are the only elves in pop culture that fangirls never seem to talk about wanting to knock boots with? I wonder why that is.

Comment from: Kate Sith posted at July 31, 2005 11:57 PM

...wait, does this mean there are Herbie* fangirls out there?

Please no?

* - you know. "Doesn't wanna make toys."

Comment from: tem2 posted at August 1, 2005 1:02 AM

Thanks, Eric.

I'm still trying to figure out whether that thing they just discovered is supposed to be a tenth planet in our solar system, or the eleventh including Sedna, or the twelfth including Quaoar, or if they'll round down to eight and just designate Pluto a mere planetoid.

Comment from: Dave Van Domelen posted at August 1, 2005 1:22 AM

Flower: Women just want to use the Keeblers as a source of chocolate, and string them along.

tem: Little. White. Dojo.

Comment from: Flower of December posted at August 1, 2005 1:39 AM

Yeah, I get that. The Keebler Elves are like the needy guy who is always gonna bring over the Grasshoppers but ain't gonna get nowhere.

Stephen Brust's elves are the sort of magnificent bastard elves you wanna spend time with.

And the Rice Krispies elves (especially Pop) are the fae who can't get right but know how to bump that back out all night. You don't want to spend your days with them but after dark you gotta give them a call so you can show 'em what the capital of Thailand is.

Comment from: MasonK posted at August 1, 2005 1:58 AM

Great. Now I'm picturing the Keeblers as the pushers of the faerie world.

Comment from: Paul Gadzikowski posted at August 1, 2005 6:56 AM

I understand that they can't decide whether it's really a planet because astronomy's got this far without actually defining planet before. Until now it just seemed obvious to everyone what a planet was but apparently, if you count this thing, there are other things that ought've been counted all along. So now the world's to be treated to astronomers having canon arguments.

Comment from: tsuibhne posted at August 1, 2005 11:20 AM

Acctually, there are now two possible new planets.

Articles on both discoveries

Comment from: Kate Sith posted at August 1, 2005 1:16 PM

Astronomy and elf sex. In the same thread.

...I love this place.

Comment from: miyaa posted at August 2, 2005 2:55 AM

Aren't the Rice Krispie elves (known as Snap, Crackle and Pop) guys?

And the Keebler Elves are like why Gingerbread Man makes the perfect date to women. If they talk back, the ladies can bite their heads off, especially the E.L. Fudge ones.

Comment from: gwalla posted at August 3, 2005 12:26 AM

Astronomy and gastronomy, together again for the first time.

With elf sex.