« [w] Because some have asked... | Main | Why I'm not a good person to have on your comic notification service »

Eric: For people who wonder why their strip wasn't on my list of "pulls" from Comic Nation

If you're wondering why your strip -- which I am certain is a good strip. A fine strip -- isn't on the Comics Nation trawl I published a few days ago, take heart by this example.

One of my favorite comics is Goats. I'm a big big fan. I like Jon Rosenberg's sense of humor. I like the art. I like the sense that a powerful man with a pony tail is lurking somewhere in the background of the site maintenance, ready to subdue criminals with a chair. Seriously. I love me some Goats action.

Okay, that came out wrong.

Anyway, I love Goats.

Okay, that came out wrong too.

The point is, I was doing the Comics Nation thing this morning, and beginning to go more deeply through the list, and I discovered that Goats wasn't on my list. I was stunned. "Could they not have Goats yet?" I thought. I mean, they don't have Greystone Inn, so anything's possible.

And yet... it was there. I had just missed it in the adrenalin soaked atmosphere of putting together a list of the strips I like.

So. If your strip isn't on there, take heart. I clearly just missed it. I mean, Jesus -- I missed Goats.

Posted by Eric Burns-White at July 7, 2005 10:11 AM

Comments

Comment from: Paul Gadzikowski posted at July 7, 2005 10:39 AM

What is Comics Nation exactly? I looked at the website but you can't get far without being a member. Is it an index I'd like Arthur, King of Time and Space to get onto? Does one submit oneself or must one get discovered by its administration? If the latter, is AKOTAS already there? When are the meetings? Is there free food?

Comment from: Egarwaen posted at July 7, 2005 10:51 AM

Basically, it's a way of keeping a list of webcomics you read and having an indicator (in that list) showing when they've updated.

They do have a feedback form for submitting new comics. One of the first things I did after building my list was throw the 15 or so comics that I read that they didn't have into the feedback form. They don't have a process for tracking the requests, though, so it's pretty much a matter of submitting them, crossing your fingers, and waiting for something to be added.

I found the interface to be much better than thewebcomiclist, which felt clunky and painful to use.

Comment from: Eric Burns posted at July 7, 2005 11:02 AM

As Egarwaen said, it's a notification service. Basically, when I go to my member page, the strips that have updated since the last time I checked are at the top, with a little "I've updated" light on them.

And Arthur's not currently in it. That was one of the strips I submitted for inclusion, actually.

Comment from: Eric Burns posted at July 7, 2005 11:02 AM

Oh, don't feel badly Arthur wasn't in the system yet. I mean, American Elf wasn't. So it's pretty hit or miss right now.

Comment from: Wednesday posted at July 7, 2005 11:57 AM

...

. . .

Comment from: Paul Gadzikowski posted at July 7, 2005 11:59 AM

Oh, don't feel badly Arthur wasn't in the system yet.

I think I'd've been surprised if it had been. It's only a year old. I know I'll be doing it for another twenty-four years, but statistically no observer has any real reason to believe it's anything more than one of the zillion webcomics that'll update today and never again.

Thanks for reading.

Comment from: gwalla posted at July 7, 2005 12:34 PM

Does it provide an RSS feed?

RSS...wave of the future, man...

Comment from: Egarwaen posted at July 7, 2005 12:34 PM

I think they're really going to hate you for linking them, Eric. I'd hate to see the flood of comic requests they've been hit with. ;)

And while there are some really amazing comics they're missing (Wish^3, The Front, Post-Nuke... Heck, they're missing Melonpool), they've got a fairly complete selection and have update detection support for almost all of them.

Comment from: scrubbo posted at July 7, 2005 1:11 PM

And here I thought it was because you hated me!

Comment from: Chris Doucette posted at July 7, 2005 1:19 PM

I was amazed to find that Last Days of FOXHOUND is listed in there. Certainly no one seems to be making use of the entry - after digging through my stats page I found 2 hits from comic-nation.com. Weird. And it's rated PG, which is a good sign for proponents of gratuitous profanity and violence.

Comment from: RoboYuji posted at July 7, 2005 1:40 PM

Suddenly, I'm rather impressed that MY comic is on there . . .

Comment from: Phil Kahn posted at July 7, 2005 3:11 PM

Oh, I was just joshing you :D

Comment from: DocN posted at July 7, 2005 4:06 PM

As an aside, didn't Ursulas' neo-Digger prototype chupacabra character from 'Irrational Fears' wear an "I [heart] Goats" T-shirt?

As I recall, she even offered a short run of tees for readers, but said something like "Dude, people are going to take that completely wrong." :)

Doc.

Comment from: gwalla posted at July 7, 2005 9:02 PM

Egarwaen: Hopefully, it'll distract them from trying to start Wikipedia articles on their months-old, readerless comics.

Still vaguely annoyed with Eric for weakening the WikiProject Webcomics inclusion guidelines.