« It's raining in Dover, New Hampshire | Main | [w] There are tradeoffs no matter where you go. »

Eric: Deadlines do weird things to your brain

So, I'm writing on deadline. And, because I want to get the Hell away from even the thought of Caffeine soaked Jesus Children, I have commandeered my parents' house to do it. (Said parents are on their boat, so I have the place to myself.) I have tea, and I have National Public Radio (this house really needs to have NPR on in the background. It's like a ghost), and I have my work. And it's going fantastically.

However. Two days of heavy writing and rewriting and editing and shaving bits and pieces of work-for-pay does things to your brain.

I figured this out when I realized that, having been pacing and sipping tea while working something out in my head, about fifteen minutes ago... with "American Roots" playing in the background... I was dancing.

Specifically... I was dancing to Sea of Love.

In the style of one of the Pips.

I didn't consciously decide "I am going to dance to this song, as if I were dancing in unison with three other men." It just happened.

In my everyday life, I don't dance. But deadlines and tea can do this to me.

Back to it!

Posted by Eric Burns-White at July 24, 2005 4:29 PM

Comments

Comment from: Wednesday posted at July 24, 2005 4:38 PM

Well, you know, at least it's an aberration. If you were doing Pip things on a regular basis, we'd have to re-evaluate this working partnership.

Comment from: SeanH posted at July 24, 2005 4:58 PM

This snark is worthless without video.

Comment from: Kate Sith posted at July 24, 2005 5:16 PM

The mental image is more than enough. Video would be overkill.

Comment from: AndrewWade posted at July 24, 2005 5:59 PM

As I don't know who the Pips are, nor have I heard 'Sea of Love' (showing my young 18 years of age?), the image I recieved from this snark was that of Mr. Burns dancing as Mrs. Doubtfire.

Yeah.

That's just messed up. Especially with the beard.

Comment from: Kate Sith posted at July 24, 2005 6:43 PM

To further the brainbreakage:

In high school, we did this play our teacher had written which was sortof a compliation of Shakespeare scenes in a modern (high school) context. Puck was a central character, and his assistants were called the Pips.

So in my mind, "Pips" first translates to "petite, mischevious young women prancing about in faerie garb."

Steep that in yer mug and sip it.

Comment from: inkbrush posted at July 24, 2005 8:08 PM

Well, just to clarify (I'm sure most everyone who's read thread so far already knows anyway...) I'm pretty sure Eric means Pips as in "Gladys Knight and the". Or maybe he means some random street urchin from something by Dickens, but not likely.

Comment from: Wednesday posted at July 24, 2005 8:20 PM

"Shut up, Pip. No one likes you."

Comment from: Wednesday posted at July 24, 2005 8:20 PM

Oh! Oh! Alternatively: the little rank thingies on the collars of 24th century Starfleet officers.

Comment from: SeanH posted at July 24, 2005 8:26 PM

And, indeed, present-day officers...

Comment from: MasonK posted at July 24, 2005 8:58 PM

Sigh. Dancing again... time to break knees again....

Comment from: Wednesday posted at July 24, 2005 9:17 PM

It's not nerdy enough if they're present-day military. They have to be Star Trek pips.

Comment from: jjacques posted at July 24, 2005 9:35 PM

Comment from: Phalanx posted at July 24, 2005 11:55 PM

*giggles* And I thought I was alone writing on deadlines and into the night. :)

Comment from: siwangmu posted at July 24, 2005 11:57 PM

(1) I think "Caffeine-soaked Jesus Children" would be a fantastically fun thing to see under the websnark.com at some point. I know it makes me happy, at least. Of course, the top of my browser window currently reads "Mozilla Hyperlobster," so it can't be said that I avoid the silliness.

(2)"I am going to dance to this song, as if I were dancing in unison with three other men."

For this? I have no words. I... I love this place. (Okay, a few words)

Comment from: miyaa posted at July 25, 2005 12:29 AM

Caffeine-soaked Jesus Children sounds like a great name for a band.

You know how some people dance like they have two left feet? I dance like I have no feet at all.

Comment from: Ardaniel posted at July 25, 2005 1:08 AM

Jeph, did he mention that he cried?

And yes, this snark *is* worthless without video. Or at least a pic. I have no idea what you look like, Eric.

Comment from: J.(Channing)Wells posted at July 25, 2005 6:11 AM

See, this is the kind of thing you get from soaking leaves in water and drinking what comes of it.

Tea: Just don't.

(Oh, sure, blame the deadlines, the overwork, the screaming kids. Go ahead. It's the tea and you know it.)

Comment from: Cass posted at July 25, 2005 6:30 AM

*giggles like a schoolgirl* And what's insane is, I've never been a schoolgirl, really. The random "Oh, am I dancing? Whoops.." song for me is Comfort Eagle, by Cake.

Comment from: William_G posted at July 25, 2005 8:23 AM

Would that be THIS particular "Sea Of Love" you were dancing to?

Do you remember when we met

That's the day I knew you were my pet

I want to tell you how much I love you

Come with me, my love

To the sea, the sea of love

I want to tell you how much I love you

Come with me, to the sea

Do you remember when we met

That's the day I knew you were my pet

I want to tell you how much I love you

Come with me, to the sea

Come with me, my love

To the sea, the sea of love

I want to tell you how much I love you

I'm quite fond of this song. The Honeydrippers was only good thing Robert Plant did after Zep broke up.

Comment from: William_G posted at July 25, 2005 8:26 AM

Oh yeah:

Here are some Pips

Comment from: PatMan posted at July 25, 2005 8:50 AM

I have no idea what you look like, Eric.

~Ardaniel

He looks like Nat from math class, only older and thinner. Did that help? :)

Comment from: Wednesday posted at July 25, 2005 9:13 AM

Eric's resemblance to a bearded Jonathan Frakes is slightly overstated. (Besides, the colouring's a bit different, and the hair goes too bowlish when it hasn't been cut.)

Comment from: Paul Gadzikowski posted at July 25, 2005 11:32 AM

Deadlines do weird things to your brain

I'm out of town for a few days, and sitting in a cafe sipping iced coffee (some espresso concoction I picked at random cuz it's named after Einstein) in order to be able to, primarily, update my webcomic(s) on something like normal schedule. I hate coffee.

Comment from: gwalla posted at July 25, 2005 12:33 PM

Looks like a dance epidemic to me

I'm seein' things i thought id never see

Dance epidemic tonight

Electric Six, Dance Epidemic

Comment from: gwalla posted at July 25, 2005 12:33 PM

Incidentally, the preview feature sucks.

Comment from: larksilver posted at July 26, 2005 2:33 AM

Isn't it nice to know that you're a man with a dancing/silly release valve, and not a violent one?

somehow, the fact that you get a bit daffy when you're tired/stressed/slightly under the weather/under a deadline/brain-hurty makes me like what I know of Eric, the person, even more. Cool! hehe

Comment from: 32_footsteps posted at July 26, 2005 11:43 AM

You know, my immediate thought was that Eric was a dancing orange wedge, but that's probably just me.

It can't be any worse, anyhow, than when a catchy song pops up on my mp3 player, and I suddenly find myself wiggling in time on the subway during rush hour.

Comment from: gwalla posted at July 26, 2005 10:45 PM

32: I was thinking hearts/diamonds/clubs/spades.