« Wait... thumbnailed graphic... parentheses... my God, Eric's SNARKING A WEBCOMIC! | Main | [w] Because some have asked... »

Eric: Back in time

It's not that I've gone back two months in files. It's not even the stuff I've lost, working with the powerbook I have, now. No, that's inconvenient and sometimes infuriating, but it's not the point.

It's the stuff I've thrown away, that's suddenly back.

It's the files and graphics and bits of cruft that I cleaned out. It's the plethora of bookmarks I got rid of in May that decided to stage a return. It's the sense of repetition.

Redoing work is one thing. Redoing cleaning? That's hard.

Posted by Eric Burns-White at July 6, 2005 9:17 PM

Comments

Comment from: Wednesday posted at July 6, 2005 9:51 PM

Dude. Never be a homemaker. It'll kill you.

But ... yeah.

Yeah.

Comment from: larksilver posted at July 6, 2005 11:29 PM

oh, aye, Madame W. That's what bein' a homemaker *is*, after all.

Funny thing is, I love my at-home life, same stuff, different day, same kiddo drama, same PBS tv shows, etc... and I was always the kid who got in trouble the first 6 weeks of school for bein' a butthead about "review." I didn't want to relearn all the lessons I'd learned the year before. Darnit, I learned them THEN! It wasn't until I was older that I noticed that the other children in the class really had forgotten how to diagram a sentence in less than 3 months. Poor, poor goslings.. but now I'm rambling. Again. sorry y'all. hehe

Comment from: miyaa posted at July 7, 2005 1:55 AM

Does anyone know what is the point in learning how to diagram a sentence? And who created that anarchic system, some English teacher who wanted to try to find a better use of the old hangman game?

Comment from: Paul Gadzikowski posted at July 7, 2005 7:24 AM

Does anyone know what is the point in learning how to diagram a sentence?
My guess is, if you were to ask someone who uses it's for its in message board posts, or who writes fanfiction without punctuation, whether they diagrammed sentences in school, they'll tell you (a) no, (b) yes but they didn't like it, (c) yes but they were no good at it, (d) yes but they didn't pay attention and sure couldn't do it today, or (e) b, c, and d. What's the point in learning to spell?

Comment from: kirabug posted at July 7, 2005 8:17 AM

a) COULD SOMEONE PLEASE CONFIRM THE WHEREABOUTS OF WEDNESDAY?? Is she OK?

b) We didn't diagram, but we did play the "underline the subject, underline the verb phrase, put yellow highlight over the prepositional phrases" game, and while at the time I thought it was boring as hell, I've used it a couple of times when tutoring my sister and her 9th grade friends on how to write good papers, and it's paid off. The mistake made in school I think is that they don't make you do it to stuff *you wrote* so it doesn't sink in.

Comment from: MasonK posted at July 7, 2005 8:58 AM

Weds is fine. Weds lives about an hour from London by train, and was nowhere near central London.

Comment from: A.G. Hopkins posted at July 7, 2005 9:00 AM

Wednesday is fine.

Those who can't diagram sentences, like Yoda may speak, and disregarded, are, as unreadable tripe, by others.

Welcome back, Eric, and you have my sympathies. I've never lost paid work due to a hard drive crash, nor have I been hacked, (yet,) but I have lost 5 years worth of accumulated shhstuff due to HD failure, and I can at least imagine what being violated like that must feel like.

Comment from: hitch posted at July 7, 2005 11:21 AM

It is quite possible that a person lacking in sentence diagramming skills may also be bereft of writing skills in general. It is also possible that there are people who missed this concept entirely whose handling of the written word is far above most of their peers. I could not, would not, should not be capable of diagramming a sentence. I am completely without the facility to define a participle. My specific knowledge of the rules of grammar are lacking in the extreme. I leave it as an exercise for the reader to assess my writing skills. (And, should the assesment be to my detriment, I assure you that I won't be upset. Disillusioned, perhaps, but not upset.)

Comment from: hitch posted at July 7, 2005 11:24 AM

Did that come across sufficiently pretentious? I can go back and do it again if you'd like...

Comment from: gwalla posted at July 7, 2005 12:32 PM

Learning grammar is useful. It's just unfortunate that the traditional way of teaching English grammar is to pretend that it's Latin.