« A brief IM conversation, quoted by permission | Main | The Sellout is Now Complete: I Aggro Drama limited edition tee shirts now available for preorder! »

Eric: A call for help, for fans of Amber Greenlee

I received the an e-mail from Amber "Glych" Greenlee, artist of the truly excellent comic strip No Stereotypes. She asked me to post the following message on her behalf, and I'm glad to do so.

As someone recovering from data loss of his own, I know exactly how Glych feels. If anyone can help her, please do so. She's a cool person.

Due to multiple computer crashes in the past, it looks like I've completely lost my infamous Flash Framed Finale from the original incarnation of No Stereotypes. I have all of the other comics that have been lost due to wonderful readers who've saved the majority of the archives on their home computers, however this one seems to be gone from the compiled lists of those readers. If anyone has it, or thinks they know someone who has it please e-mail me at: glych(at)panel2panel(dot)com. Thank you for your time and attention.

-glych

If this causes a heated debate in the comments section, I'm going to start drinking scotch heavily.

Posted by Eric Burns-White at July 8, 2005 2:03 AM

Comments

Comment from: Aerin posted at July 8, 2005 2:21 AM

We could heatedly debate which type of scotch you should drink...

Totally kidding. You should go with rum.

...

Okay, maybe I also get silly when I can't sleep.

Comment from: Yook posted at July 8, 2005 2:49 AM

I have just signed up for TypeKey for the express purpose of saying that you should drink scotch. Good scotch. Mmm. Scotch.

P.S. Scotch.

Comment from: Phil Kahn posted at July 8, 2005 3:34 AM

I STRONGLY OBJECT THIS NOTION!

*heat*

*drama*

Comment from: DocN posted at July 8, 2005 4:05 AM

I strongly object to Phil's objection, despite not having a clue who he is!

Is it hot in here?

(Gets ice for his scotch)

Doc.

Comment from: Phil Kahn posted at July 8, 2005 4:36 AM

I STRONGLY OBJECT TO DOC NOT KNOWING WHO I AM!

Comment from: Aerin posted at July 8, 2005 4:39 AM

I STRONGLY OBJECT TO THE CAPS LOCK!

Wait a minute, no I don't. Carry on. *takes another swig of rum*

Comment from: DocN posted at July 8, 2005 5:30 AM

I strongly object to this scotch!

(Reaches for the Glenmorangie.)

Doc.

Comment from: SeanH posted at July 8, 2005 5:45 AM

So, how about that 2004 Presidential election? That sure was controversial!

I'd reach for my Glenmorangie, but it's 11AM, and a fellow has standards, you know. Not too high of standards, since it's only the Ten Year, but still.

Comment from: thok posted at July 8, 2005 9:10 AM

A toast to webcomics and drama!

On a vaguely related note (in that it's a dramatic webcomic), Sluggy seems to be Sluggy again.

Comment from: Lyndon W posted at July 8, 2005 9:20 AM

A quick check of names would go to show that very few people are actually involved in the drama. It's pretty much just the one responsible for the bad PR (bono), and the one(s) who recieved it(artists).

I personally believe that bono has matured dramatically in the last 2 years, as evidenced by his MANY offerings of apology. We will honor ALL requests by artists to have their comics un-hyperlinked and un-pinged.

-meeowth

Comment from: Reave posted at July 8, 2005 9:46 AM

As someone who owns stock in a scotch company, I would very much like people to start drinking heavily.

On a more flamewar note... Lyndon, why are you bringing this back up? Didn't we cause Eric enough trouble the last time? And now you're trying to bring it back up in here? No! Bad webiste admin! BAD! No coffee! NONE! You get WATER!

No drama! None! Well, ok, maybe - I'm serious about the scotch investment thing - but let's not ruin this Friday.

Happy Friday everyone!

*Note: the next person who tries to bring crap here gets hunted down and stabbed in a random body part that begins with the letter 'e.'

Comment from: Doug posted at July 8, 2005 10:00 AM

Hmmph. Every sane person with any amount of taste in their makeup knows that one never drinks scotch heavily, but instead drinks it neat. Or with a splash. Maybe. But NEVER heavily!

And why can't you just drink beer instead? Are you some sort of elitist? Why don't you like beer? Are you saying beer is bad, and only drunk by low-lifes and ne'erdowell? Are you calling me a low-life, you prig?! C'mon! Step outside!

[NOTE: The above comes to you courtesy of The Internet Law of Statistical Response -- also known as "TEH LAW OF DRAMA!" -- wherein the probability of someone taking something you've written utterly wrongly, reading something nonexistent into your post, deciding that you've insulted them or someone beloved by them, breaking into a geekish ramble or of someone simply lapsing into a moment of 'YUO R SUXX0R!!!!!' approaches certainty whenever there's more than three people involved in any online discourse as demanded both by the immutable mathematcial laws of statisitics and human nature.]

Comment from: alienpriest posted at July 8, 2005 10:07 AM

*wanders in with his own glass*

Are we drinking single malt today? >rattles the rocks*wanders in with his own glass*

Are we drinking single malt today? >rattles the rocks

Comment from: Lyndon W posted at July 8, 2005 10:09 AM

I hate coffee. I drink water in vast quantities.

Comment from: Eric Burns posted at July 8, 2005 10:10 AM

Actually, I can't drink beer because I can't drink anything carbonated because of EXCRUCIATING STOMACH PAIN!

Which makes me want to drink beer, so I can prove how tough I am!

Comment from: Kate Sith posted at July 8, 2005 10:27 AM

Beer is swill. We should have LIBERTY SHOTS!

Rumpleminze, grenadine, and blue curacao. It's like a candy cane. A candy cane that BURNS.

for FREEDOM.

(Alternately: boozeberries! Strawberries soaked in brandy for two days. They are insidiously effective.)

Comment from: Doc posted at July 8, 2005 10:29 AM

Am I the only person that objects to having ice in my scotch?

I seriously see no advantage to this, it just means you end up with these awful watery dregs at the end if you drink it slowly and if you drink it quickly its not going to do much to cool it anyway. If you want a cold drink chill some nice tasty vodka.

In contast mixing with ginger ale I consider ok so long as its not a very good scotch, people at clubs who give me scotch and cola when I ask for a scotch need to be taken out back and shot.

Oh and of course anyone who disagrees with me is a total gay-redneck-republican-commie-Proletariat.

Comment from: KJToo posted at July 8, 2005 10:34 AM

Let's see if there's any way we can drag this thread kicking and screaming back to the topic at hand.

Amber, I truly wish I could help. As someone who has lost the fruit of his creativity to hardware failure, I extend my sympathies. Alas, I don't have an archive of the Flash Framed Finale in question. I blame Eric for not turning me on to No Stereotypes sooner.

If the Brothers Chapman were to lose the first hundred or so Strong Bad e-mails, on the other hand, I could certainly help with that.

Comment from: Egarwaen posted at July 8, 2005 10:50 AM

*insert heated debate in the comments section here*

Comment from: Dave Van Domelen posted at July 8, 2005 11:11 AM

I object to having scotch in my ice. My usual evening drink is to take two trays of ice, dump them in a 64 oz. mug, fill with water. Refill two or three times over the course of the night, making sure to get enough salty snacks to avoid harm. :)

If I'm feeling adventurous, I put it all in the blender first, and have Neutral Slushies.

Comment from: Scruffy posted at July 8, 2005 11:20 AM

Flaming scotch war. Kinda restores your faith in Humanity, doesn't it?

I like my scotch Cerebus-style. In a bucket.

-Scruffy

Comment from: JoeFF85 posted at July 8, 2005 11:27 AM

Now I just wish you could actually order a Cerebus at a bar.

Fictional Bartender: "What'll ya have?"

Fictional lush: "Gimme a Cerebus."

Fictional Bartender: *Begins emptying bottles of rum into a galvanized iron bucket, of the type you always see on patios as decorative flower pots.*

For some reason, it just had to be a galvanized iron bucket in my head.

Comment from: JoeFF85 posted at July 8, 2005 11:28 AM

Now why the hell did I type rum when I was clearly thinking scotch? Pirates on the brain, perhaps?

Comment from: gwalla posted at July 8, 2005 11:44 AM

Rum, scotch, s'all good...

Comment from: Aerin posted at July 8, 2005 11:49 AM

Because rum is clearly better.

Comment from: Fletch posted at July 8, 2005 11:57 AM

GUINNESS, HERETICS!

Okay, that's my contribution for the day. I'm all out of drama.

Comment from: Aerin posted at July 8, 2005 12:01 PM

Actually, you know what's really good? A dirty girl scout. Shot of Bailey's, shot of vodka, shot of Kahlua, and a splash of creme de menthe. Goes down a bit funny, but has a fantastic aftertaste. It's like a Thin Mint, if they were made with vodka. (Probably what the Grrrl Scout in the Sluggy strip Eric snarked a while ago might sell. See? It all comes back together!)

But that's a little complicated. Rum is simpler. *takes another swig*

Comment from: Black Dove posted at July 8, 2005 12:14 PM

I am deeply offended by the lack of offensive ad hominim attacks and gratuitous vulgarity.

This is low level Web Drama at best; you aggro'd the grey stuff, Eric.

P.S.- Hope your data recovery goes well, and that some synergistic force of recovery will also find glych the desired strip.

-D

Comment from: Tangent posted at July 8, 2005 12:17 PM

*eyes the discussion*

This is almost enough to get me to stop drinking scotch. Except for the fact I just bought a new 1.5 liter bottle.

*sigh* Well, /hopefully/ someone out there will see this message and be able to get Amber her finale for the NS/Framed crossover... if only because /I/ want to see it again. *wry smile* It had beautiful music and a fantastic sequence to it.

I mean, Eric gripes about flash comics and all that, but this one... it /worked/. It was close to animation, and it (with the musical accompaniment) helped turn it into a truly sweet and special end to an otherwise hilarious comic crossover.

(In fact, that's one of my few minor gripes about NS v.2, no Framed!!! Crossover. Then again, if they redid the Framed!!! Crossover, I could just see the Framed characters griping about Deja Vu and all of that. *laughter* "Hey, haven't we done this before?" "Shh, we're being paid in real food to do this!")

Good luck, Amber. I hope Websnark can help you where Tangents couldn't.

Robert A. Howard

Comment from: Wednesday posted at July 8, 2005 12:21 PM

OHHH. The shiraz isn't GOOD enough for you now? Is that it?

Comment from: Dave Van Domelen posted at July 8, 2005 1:09 PM

Y'know...I don't drink, but even if I did, I'm not sure I'd touch something that comes in a 1.5 liter bottle. Liters are not a proper unit of measurement for booze. It evokes images of Purple Passion in 2-liter soda bottles.

Comment from: Aerin posted at July 8, 2005 1:12 PM

To bring up something totally unrelated for a moment, is anyone else having trouble getting to Real Life Comics? I haven't been able to get there for two days now. I know he's in the Daily Grind; is there some sort of mirror against server failure? (To be fair, there are lots of times when I can't access his website, but usually not for two days in a row.)

This sucks. If OotS hadn't been so cool today, I would totally need more rum.

Comment from: kirabug posted at July 8, 2005 1:33 PM

ear

eye

eyebrow

earlobe

Uhm...

RL shares servers with Mac Hall, and Mac Hall was slashdotted by a World of Warcraft site's linkthrough based on a really *funny* comic a few days ago. (It was up for a few minutes earlier.) As a result, both sites have been up and down the past few days. Greg sometimes reposts the comics on his forum (http://www.reallifeforums.com/) but I don't see the recent ones there right now... maybe if you asked the forumgoers, they might repost?

....oh, and for me it's rum, whiskey, then scotch. but i come from a family that does whiskey shots on special occasions...

Comment from: Aerin posted at July 8, 2005 2:27 PM

Kira: Ah, that explains much. Two popular WCCA-nominated comics on one server probably isn't the best idea. But it's good to know that there wasn't some catastrophic failure. And yay for rum! We may be the minority, but we must make our voices heard!

Comment from: Kris@WLP posted at July 8, 2005 2:28 PM

Has Amber tried the Wayback Machine?

There's a small chance the missing files are archived there...

Comment from: quiller posted at July 8, 2005 2:34 PM

Real Life comics have been up and down for me all week. Usually I just try back in an hour or so and it will come up.

As for scotch, don't look at me. I like mixed drinks, cider and liqueurs. Though I did have a scotch mixed drink before that was pretty good.

Comment from: Paul Gadzikowski posted at July 8, 2005 2:52 PM

In regards to the Real Life thing: Grind rules allow for posting at an alternate location or at the Grind message board in the event of inavailablity of one's regular server. The only one of this week's Real Lifes Greg's felt the need to put on the message board was Monday's, and no judges or fellow contestants have called him out. The server may be intermittent this week, but it's reliable enough for the Grind, so you ought to be able to catch it with minimal checking back.

Benjamin Franklin pointed out that beer is proof that God loves us.

Comment from: Aerin posted at July 8, 2005 3:00 PM

Paul: Yeah, I checked the Grind site and saw that he was still up there, so I wasn't too worried. Personally, I've always found the RL server to be intermittent, so maybe I just have bad luck with it.

Comment from: Tangent posted at July 8, 2005 3:02 PM

While some of her strips are on the Wayback machine, most are broken images and the like. :(

Rob H.

Comment from: glych posted at July 8, 2005 3:31 PM

I did try the wayback machine, and though the html is there, the actual comic archives are gone...

If I can't find it, my only other option it seems is to rebuild it. I went into my dusty paper archives of my original drawings and found all of my actual notes and designs for the flash, but also due to the multiple computer crashes in the past (believe me, I've learned the way of the backup disk) I've lost the original .mp3 of the song complete song "Sora" from the Escaflowne movie.

And I can't seem to find it online >_O

-glych

Comment from: Wednesday posted at July 8, 2005 3:39 PM

So, for the past few years, I've had a Campaign for Real Ale membership. This is mostly to get discounted admission to CAMRA beer festivals and spend all day at the cider wall, but also because I'm a big fan of going to a pub with my friends and having them not have to drink fucking Carling.

But I can't drink beer. I can have one sip, maybe two, and all but the pussiest lagers make my stomach cramp up hard past that. And who wants to drink pussy lager? So, if Benjamin Franklin's right, then God doesn't like me.

CAMRA also have a subcampaign, APPLE, which covers real cider. As in not Blackthorn/Woodpecker/Magners/Strongbow (once you've had it pointed out to you that tomato's used in the making of Strongbow, you just can't avoid noticing it) (hahahaaaa). The situation's much worse in pubs for that; even at a pub that's relatively well-stocked with proper beer, you might be stuck with one of the above. Maybe, if you're lucky, they have an old vat of Old Rosie around, or some horribly overpriced standard Westons (which, admittedly, is very nice). If you're really fortunate and your pub-person knows that there's such a thing as scrumpy, they have Addlestones, or Crones User Friendly. Pubs which don't have this problem are often

a) out in the middle of nowhere, near orchards;

b) run by very active CAMRA members themselves; or

c) in bloody Cambridge.

It's depressing when you have better luck at the local Sainsbury. This is part of what drove me to wine, which is less expensive than a single malt habit and easier to source decent forms of in North America.

Anyhow, all this to say

a) Websnark, as a unit, does not drink beer;

b) Websnark, as a unit, cannot drink beer;

c) Websnark, as a unit, could probably drink scrumpy (which isn't carbonated) except for that it would knock half of it out quite quickly and the other half out after about three and a half pints, so it's probably best left to the half which can get to beer festivals;

d) So, are any of you going to the Great British Beer Festival next month?

e) Dude. Shiraz!

Comment from: miyaa posted at July 8, 2005 3:40 PM

1. Am I going to have to be the designated driver for this thread?

2. Anyone got any good cooking recipies that involves scotch, rum, or any other type of hard liquor?

3. Is it just me, or does there seem to be way too many brands and types of vodka out there?

Comment from: SeanH posted at July 8, 2005 4:02 PM

Weds: when I find a pub that stocks Addlestones (known to most of my friends as Addlebrains), I make a very careful mental log of it, so I can come back time and time again to drink of delicious cider. Currently the handiest one I know of is a pub in Greenwich, which is a very nice area anyway.

And I'd love to come to the Great British Beer Festival, but it ends a mere three days before I'm actually legally allowed to drink alcohol, and I suspect that the event requires some kind of identification. Bastards! Oh, to be back in Germany, where anyone'll get served so long as they didn't actually crawl in.

Comment from: theusual posted at July 8, 2005 4:09 PM

ear

eye

eyebrow

earlobe

Uhm...

Esophagus... Epidermis... Actually, that one covers most of the body.

Comment from: Wednesday posted at July 8, 2005 4:27 PM

SeanH: Wait. How can you be too young to drink in Britain, yet be old enough to know from afp? I'm confused.

Comment from: gwalla posted at July 8, 2005 4:45 PM

Shiraz is plonk.

The Wayback Machine archives HTML, but doesn't touch binaries like flash files or zips.

My dad is a CAMRA member. It has served him well in his trips to Britain.

Comment from: SeanH posted at July 8, 2005 5:16 PM

Weds: I'm a prodigy?

While I was on AFP briefly, I actually knew that quote from a Pratchett quote file I read once, a few years ago, over at L-space Web. I have a pretty good memory, I guess. That, and the prodigy thing, yeah.

Comment from: Wednesday posted at July 8, 2005 5:23 PM

Gwalla: No, export cuvee prestige is plonk. Shiraz is just highly variable.

Sean: Ah. In which case you're probably safe from the whole AHAHAHAHA I DIPPED THE BROCCOLI IN THE CHOCOLATE I AM CLEVAR mentality which frightened me away from afp/atmd as a whole.

Comment from: SeanH posted at July 8, 2005 5:27 PM

Yeah, not a meme I'm familiar with :) I got bored because it was awfully cliquey. Not that that's really a bad thing, I get cliquey with my friends sometimes, it just made it too difficult to really integrate. Besides, it's not as if I don't know enough Pratchett fans anyways...

Comment from: Kishi posted at July 8, 2005 5:40 PM

ear

eye

eyebrow

earlobe

Uhm...

Don't forget elbow. That could be painful.

Comment from: bartles69 posted at July 8, 2005 8:06 PM

miyaa,

For a gathering last Monday (July 4), I cooked the following alcohol-marinated goodies:

4 lbs buffalo roast (cut into 1-inch cubes)

1 bottle KC Masterpiece Barbecue Sauce

1/3 cup Jack Daniel's Old No. 7 Whiskey

Simmer in a slow-cooker set on low for 8 hours, then gently break up any still-solid meat with a potato masher. Serve on hamburger buns.

I also grilled a batch of bratwurst that had been soaking in Guiness since Saturday. Mmm, Guiness... the beer that eats like a meal. ;)

Comment from: miyaa posted at July 8, 2005 8:43 PM

Thanks, Bartles. And truly, how can you not have bratwurst without it having soaked in a beer bath? It's the only reason why you should buy inferior beer anyway...

And what the hell is Purple Passion? Sounds like one of those reject names for a line of McDonald's colognes. (Ode de la Robble being the other.)

Comment from: unliz posted at July 8, 2005 8:46 PM

I blame Dave Van Domelen. And Also Kool-Aid for putting slushie recipes on their packages. But I just got the weirdest and most interesting sounding idea ever. A scotch slushie. Great for keeping cool in North Carolina in effin JULY (the pavement! It buuuurns!!) while still being smashed out of my mind. I'm seriously digging this idea more and more as I think about it...

Comment from: Wednesday posted at July 8, 2005 8:57 PM

Oh, god. Suddenly, I want to soak a batch of ribs in JD.

This'd involve getting some JD, of course.

Oh man. Talk about your dilemma.

Comment from: Darth Paradox posted at July 8, 2005 9:40 PM

Mmmm, scotch.

I've got a bottle of Aberlour over on the counter that's getting cracked open tonight when we start watching Firefly.

And now, of course, I'll be thinking of Websnark. Whee.

Comment from: JediLora posted at July 8, 2005 10:48 PM

We had beer BBQ chicken the other night. It was DELICIOUS.

As one who is underage(for another six bloody months), I volunteer to drive this thread home after hours.

Comment from: mckenzee posted at July 8, 2005 10:53 PM

I'm afraid I have to STRONGLY object to knowing who Phil is (and apoligize for never calling).

Also, Tequila...

Comment from: Dave Van Domelen posted at July 8, 2005 11:25 PM

Real Purple Passion is Everclear (191 proof vodka) with grape Kool-Aid powder added. It got popular enough that someone trademarked it and started selling 2-liters of it back in the 80s, but the commercially available version is MUCH less potent. Zima level, IIRC.

Comment from: Plaid Phantom posted at July 8, 2005 11:50 PM

Huh. I thought Eric already drank scotch heavily. So he's like that naturally? This changes everything...

Comment from: Alun Clewe posted at July 9, 2005 1:27 AM

Epithalamus

Eustachian Tube

Erector Spinae

Efferent Vessel

Efferent Arteriole

Ethmoidal Sinuses

Ejaculatory Duct (if the person in question is male)

Epididymis (ditto)

Endometrium (if the person in question is female)

Extensor Digitorum Longus/Brevis

Extensor Hallucis Longus/Brevis

External Auditory Meatus

External Occipital Proturbance

...

Comment from: Bo Lindbergh posted at July 9, 2005 1:37 AM

Quoth gwalla:

Sez who?

Comment from: Tangent posted at July 9, 2005 1:49 AM

Looks like my being a file packrat came in handy.

It's been found.

The file was in a Temporary Internet File folder from a filedump I took from a hard drive several years ago. I've got stuff there that I'd forgotten existed, and some e-mails that I'd thought lost forever.

Anyway, Glych has her Flash Finale now. :) Thanks for looking, guys.

Robert A. Howard, Internet Packrat

Comment from: abb3w posted at July 9, 2005 2:27 AM

Balvenie's Doublewood is my usual choice for scotch, as the best flavor and quality for the money. The Dalwhinnie comes close, but is less easy on the wallet. Of course, if the wallet isn't a concern, Johnny Walker Blue Label is a very nice blended; while I wouldn't buy another in my current tax bracket, it was a memorable experience.

But do keep from mixing flamewars and scotch. If you're playing with fire, Gosling's Black Seal 151 dark rum is the way to go.

Comment from: Darren Bleuel posted at July 9, 2005 4:41 AM

Insane.

Robert, you are the man and a half. Speaking as a person who should know better and yet has still lost nigh hundreds of important files to multiple random hard drive crashes... Well, I hope Glych appreciates her techno-guardian angel.

You wouldn't happen to have the 600dpi color graphics to my first book cover sitting around in your cache, would you? ;)

Comment from: Tangent posted at July 9, 2005 9:58 AM

*laughter* Not unless I managed to read through them using my computer at some point. I just never threw out my old IE5 caches, or purged them. So I've little bits and pieces. When I came across some old e-mails from a friend that I thought had been lost (I'd deleted them by accident) I realized I might have that file on hand... especially as I'd tried saving it on my computer (and thought I'd failed).

Now if only I can figure out what extension Yahoo Messenger archives would be saved as so I could recover *those* as well... ;)

I still don't know why some things were saved and others were lost. But Amber and I are just lucky, I guess, that I found her flash movie. Especially as I enjoyed watching it again. :D

Take care!

Robert A. Howard

Comment from: Phil Kahn posted at July 9, 2005 10:19 AM

I STRONGLY OBJECT TO THE ACT OF OBJECTION!

...

*aneurism*

Comment from: gwalla posted at July 9, 2005 4:25 PM

I strongly object to those who strongly object to strong objections!!!1

Bo: wow

Comment from: ShelBelle posted at July 10, 2005 5:21 AM

currently they're .dat files, not sure if they'd be different in older ones.