« Day of Recovery | Main | On pretentiousness, movies, and stuffing kids into metaphorical lockers. »

Eric: On the WCCA bandwagon

The 2005 Web Cartoonists' Choice Awards nominations list is out. This is my first year being able to vote, what being a webcomics writer now and all. So, I went over and voted now, because... well, I can't sleep. And besides, I blew nominations. I put in a few placeholders and thoughts and random bits in... and then didn't get back until after nominations were finished. So, rather than put it off until it was too late, I figured it'd be best to just get it done.

For the most part, I agree with the nominations (with the occasional "what the fuck" moment that crops up on any list of nominees). There were several categories that I had to wrestle with -- Outstanding Comedic Comic, for example, had a quarter ton of excellent choices. Picking a winner from it was simply not simple.

I'd tell you my choices, but I'd rather wait until voting closes. If you're a webcartoonist and reading my words, go check the list out, follow links to the unfamiliar strips, weigh your choices and put your votes in. If you're not, go check out the nominee list, and feel free to comment down in the comments section.

Going to take another run at sleep now.

Posted by Eric Burns-White at June 5, 2005 4:32 AM

Comments

Comment from: Kristofer Straub posted at June 5, 2005 5:41 AM

Hey, I'm pleased with those nominees. I always felt like the WCCAs suffered from tunnel vision. In the past, like the Oscars, maybe there were one or two interesting newcomers, but mostly it's the teary-eyed big-budget Russell Crowe movie we've all seen already that wins everything.

Comment from: Shaenon posted at June 5, 2005 6:04 AM

You must be confused from lack of sleep, Eric. Outstanding Comedic Comic is an easy category, as is Outstanding Writer. The others, I don't know.

Man, I'm so psyched to see Jason Thompson's "The Stiff" get some love, not to mention the multiple nominations for "Copper," "Dicebox," and "Digger." Oh, and every work nominated in the Flash category is an actual comic, which is nice.

Comment from: Merus posted at June 5, 2005 6:20 AM

A large part of the reason why I read Penny Arcade is for Holkins' writing - and so I'm impressed when I have to put Penny Arcade dead last in that category.

Although I have to say that the Comedic category is wider than Shaenon would have you believe - Order of the Stick is truly awe-inspiring, as are Daily Dinosaur Comics, and while Narbonic is good, I think there will be cartoonists that won't be able to see Shaenon's pacing in action, thanks to the subscription system - so if there are real rip-snorters you've been saving for a special occasion, now's the time to bust 'em out.

These are what awards should be - lots of deserving nominees, most of which wouldn't surpirse you if they won. It's a testament to the industry in general that it's capable of generating this quantity of deserving work.

Comment from: William_G posted at June 5, 2005 7:04 AM

I'm going to save my votes to compare them to the results. And I am also impressed with the quality of choices this year.

And I've already started a (tongue-in-cheek) campaign to make sure that only the most deserving win.

Click! Click! Click!

Comment from: mckenzee posted at June 5, 2005 12:58 PM

Nice, I see that several of my nominees made it to the finals.

But... Achewood didn't make the anthropomorphic category? Wah?

As for SinBed, I know my support was spread thin across the categories, but it was an honor to be nominated.

Comment from: Phalanx posted at June 5, 2005 3:20 PM

I'm happy to see so many on my list making it to the second round! Whooo!

Comment from: Aerin posted at June 5, 2005 4:44 PM

I read a lot more comics now than I did this time last year, so these awards should be a lot more fun, especially since I read a very large portion of these comics. Now to get a MT subscription so I can finally read Narbonic and Digger...

Comment from: gwalla posted at June 5, 2005 4:45 PM

It's nice to see so many well-crafted comics nominated this year. It's a big change of pace from previous years. Penny Arcade will still win everything it's nominated for, however.

And Eric, even if you won't tell us your votes, at least tell us about your "wtf moments"!

Comment from: Natural Slave posted at June 5, 2005 9:19 PM

I'm glad that A Lesson is Learned but the Damage is Irreversible got such exposure. I can't say that I know for sure it's the best new comic, not having read many of the other nominees, but I can't imagine any comic art out there that's more innovative or expressive than Dave's digital painting.

-Wilhelm

Comment from: Zaq posted at June 6, 2005 1:42 AM

I just want to know what the hell happened to Dominic Deegan. (I've also noticed the frightening regularity with which I laud DD here. You'd think I work for it or something. I don't. Honest.)

I do like a lot of the choices, though, and of the ones I've read (which, for most categories, is most of them) I don't see any which don't deserve the nomination, so I'm pretty happy with this list. A couple of them have me confused as to "Why is this in THIS category?!", but overall... could be worse. Could be a lot worse.

Comment from: miyaa posted at June 6, 2005 3:02 AM

Love Pet Professional, I can imagine him with a Patrick Warburton-ish voice. Maybe it's because I'd like to see PETA be taken down a peg...

Comment from: arscott posted at June 6, 2005 4:46 AM

Peta Taken down a Peg?

South Park did it better, and they did it years ago. Pet Professional comes of as trite and stale.

It strikes me as more the "Scott Kurtz linked my third strip, so I have way more name recognition than thousands of others with actual talent" candidate.

Comment from: miyaa posted at June 6, 2005 2:34 PM

I didn't say it did deserve to be on the list, I just said I love the strip. I do agree that Order of the Stick is much better than Pet Professional.

Comment from: Suzanne posted at June 6, 2005 5:05 PM

I was honestly hoping to see Yirmumah somewhere on there. Lately, DJ has really grown on me.

Comment from: gwalla posted at June 7, 2005 12:14 AM

arscott: to be fair, Gossamer Commons is barely underway. There's not a lot to go on.

And PETA has been taken down a peg by everyone. South Park...even Sluggy Freelance took them down a peg (repeatedly, in the early days of the strip). There are no more pegs for them to be taken down.

Comment from: RKMilholland posted at June 7, 2005 5:14 PM

"When Pet Professional Makes the list and things like Gossamer Commons, Arthur: King of Time and Space, and Order of the Stick don't, it just serves as an ugly reminder that people's choice awards generally suck."

Translation: "When people don't think exactly the way I do, everyone is stupid and wrong but me."

Comment from: Eric Burns posted at June 7, 2005 5:22 PM

Gossamer Commons has been around for about sixteen seconds, comparatively. And we've got plenty of room to get better. I'm hopeful for "newcomer" nominating next year, as I think we'll still be eligible, which to me means keeping working to be a better writer so that it's possible someone will want to do this.

As for...

"...it just serves as an ugly reminder that people's choice awards generally suck."

The WCCAs aren't actually a people's choice award. While it's true that it's not hard to be a webcartoonist, you actually must be a webcartoonist to nominate and vote, which puts the WCCA in the category of "academy" style awards.