« On the other side of the City of Heroes equation... | Main | Day of Recovery »

Eric: I adore the phrase "calming anesthetic saliva!" I'm going to find ways to use it for the rest of the day!

(From Starshift Crisis. Click on the thumbnail for full sized helpful bug monsters!)

Okay, I admit it freely. This strip is totally being snarked because of the phrase "calming anesthetic saliva." There's nothing that could so perfectly establish the nature of Mr. Jinx than that simple phrase.

I'm liking Starshift Crisis so far. It's got Straub's sense of humor behind it, all right, but it's far more solidly story-oriented. I've been curious to see how well Straub can maintain the balance of story and gag-a-day funny. So far, it's worked pretty well.

Dude. Calming anesthetic saliva.

Posted by Eric Burns-White at June 3, 2005 1:42 PM

Comments

Comment from: Paul Southworth posted at June 3, 2005 3:18 PM

Man, it's about time Starshift Crisis got some recognition! Straub has been toiling away in obscurity on it for, like, almost two weeks!

We did it Kris, baby! All your hard work has paid off! *inappropriate man-smooch*

So what, Eric, you didn't like Infra-Redbeard?

ARRRRRR-Squared! :P

Comment from: Wednesday posted at June 3, 2005 3:31 PM

Dude. Calming anesthetic saliva.

Tip: never flirt with this sentence.

Comment from: SeanH posted at June 3, 2005 3:42 PM

"Are you feeling okay, darling? Perhaps my calming anaesthetic saliva..."

(it works so much better with the superfluous British "a")

Comment from: jrleek posted at June 3, 2005 4:47 PM

Just for the record, so far I love Starshift Crisis. I've personally never been a big fan of 4th wall humor, so while Checkerboard Nightmare was good, it was definatly on my "check occasionally" list. Starshift Crisis, on the other hand, has story, better defined characters, and I prefer the humor style.

Comment from: miyaa posted at June 3, 2005 5:03 PM

I'm getting creepy flashbacks to my years with the orthodontist from the phrase: calming anesthetic saliva. Well that and the all of his double-d sized female assistants who kept telling me how much of a creep this guy was. I was like, girls, I'm only 13...

A very bad part of my teenage years.

As for the comic itself, it's an interesting concept: a portable space museum. Dare I say there might be a space version of Indiana Jones in its future?

Comment from: Darth Paradox posted at June 3, 2005 5:21 PM

miyaa, I think we went to the same orthodontist.

Oy.

Maybe it's just common for all of them?

Comment from: Joshua Holbrook posted at June 3, 2005 5:38 PM

MY dentist's assistants weren't like that at all. They rambled on about the benefits of flossing and had nice eyes. Then again, that was the only thing I could see of them with those magnifying glasses and mouth-overing mask. I also remember my dentist talking with his assistant about the shoe bomber while giving me a filling.

But then again, a dentist isn't an orthodontist I guess.

Comment from: jrleek posted at June 3, 2005 6:25 PM

OFF TOPIC: Eric, I was just over at Glossamer Commons, today's strip is pretty funny, I liked it. And you're correct that having trudy in the background is confusing... but.. why didn't Greg just upsize the strip a bit? Just push trudy's stuff a little higher so it doesn't look so crowded? Just curious.

Comment from: DanShive posted at June 4, 2005 3:05 AM

Speaking of dentists and orthadontists... where is the mouth on that bug? Is that jagged line it's jaw? If so, what does it look like when it talks? I am confused by the buggy face, it's making me crazy, and I fear how I might be sedated o_o

Comment from: Dave Kellett posted at June 4, 2005 4:11 AM

Starshift Crisis and Ugly Hill are the first strips to come along in years where I'm excited right out of the gate. The art, the dialogue, the characters...it's hard to find any fault with either of these so far.

God, I love it when good stuff comes along. So often we have to put up with Sturgeon's Law.

Comment from: Kristofer Straub posted at June 4, 2005 6:05 AM

The jagged line is a set of gate-like mandibles which he does not need to open to speak. I don't know if I should ever show how he eats.

Comment from: gunthrified posted at June 5, 2005 12:57 AM

off-topic: the anti-snark cometh.... i imagine it is written by ms. cire snrub

Comment from: Eric Burns posted at June 5, 2005 1:42 AM

I tried pronouncing Ms. Snrub's name, and I disappeared into the fifth dimension for ninety days.

As for the blog... well, it had to happen. With luck, they'll elaborate on their reasons. That too's part of the dialogue.

Of course, if their catchphrase is "remember, the truth hurts," I kind of wish they'd sign their names to it. But that's just me. ;)

Comment from: gwalla posted at June 5, 2005 1:52 AM

gunthrified: You're not kidding about that being the anti-Snark. While Eric does well-written reviews based on a careful reading of the comics, that blog is poorly-written whining based on deliberately *not* reading the comics (he says right out in the BLC rant that he only ever read one of the comics, yet he complains about all of them).

And look who's doing it: Piratezim, the Keenspot forums' resident troll. Why am I not surprised.

Comment from: Darth Paradox posted at June 5, 2005 2:52 AM

I find it difficult to believe that the Keenspot forums have a resident troll.

Comment from: siwangmu posted at June 5, 2005 3:51 AM

Wow, they are the anti-you! Including posting once a month and, as far as I can tell, having the link to the Real Life strip they "anti-snarked" lead to a hosted copy of the comic and not the site. Other ways these guys are Totally Awesome include writing a really long post about how actually reading certain comics would be a waste of their time, criticizing Wapsi Square for the only thing it's ridiculous to casually dismiss it over, and focusing their ire towards Shortpacked on the image chosen for the Blank Label Comics main page--since said image is what intrigued me yesterday and led me to read the archive and immediately add it to my trawl, I especially liked that one.

The very best part is that their seconday motto thing (what's located right under their name) is webcomics and a frowny face. You know, as long as they're enjoying themselves, right?

(It's also possible they're just Modern Humor Authority-ing me, which I've fallen for before and will again. Either way, I got a kick out of it)

Comment from: gwalla posted at June 5, 2005 4:48 PM

Darth Paradox: Well, the troll who hangs out the most in Keenspot Central, at least.

That blog's contents are pretty much standard trolling tactics (inflammatory posts based on deliberate ignorance, a reliance on ad hominem attacks). However, I think they'll find that you can't effectively troll your own blog; there has to be a reason for people to be reading a blog or forum in the first place for them to put up with trolls rather than simply leaving.

Comment from: miyaa posted at June 6, 2005 2:41 AM

1. A lot of people in the world aren't going to feel happy unless everyone else in the entire isn't happy. Then, I suppose, the question becomes, then what? I mean it's funny to hear a Lewis Black skit everyone once in a while, but it doesn't take long to hear his five or so points coming from every rant he makes.

2. His (Anti-Snark...sounds like some sort of strange quirk, and I mean that in a physics sense) rants reminds me of the Adult Swim anime I saw the other night, Paranoia Agent. Lots of angst and ranting and at the end of the half-hour you're left wondering what the hell was their point? (And maybe to wonder if that kid didn't beat up on the creators of the anime in the first place. To quote Adam Sandler, Who were the Ad Wizards that came up with this one?)