« On my way out the door... | Main | Webcomickry »

Eric: Divot bread and not going to cons: Friday and Saturday, hanging with Wednesday.

The bread was from a very old box of mix. Given that, that the yeast still had any efficacy at all was startling. It did in fact rise on the sides, more or less, leaving the center sunk, with some bubbles from gas.

Wednesday looked at the loaf, and then looked at me. "It didn't rise," she said.

"It has a divot taken out of it," I said. "It's golf bread."

"We should fill it with something," she said.

"We've found the secret process to making the bread bowl," I said.

And then, peanut butter was involved.

They wrapped the chicken in bacon. Also, there was sushi available.

Yesterday, we went to Maine, to Tim Hortons. Wednesday is Canadian. Tim Hortons, for her, was a pilgrimage. We had the coffee. I had a sandwich. She had a fritter. We bought Tim Hortons coffee mugs. (You aren't supposed to put an apostrophe in the name, by the way. It's named for the founder, Tim Horton, who was an all star hockey player for the Toronto Maple Leafs. He died, drunk and high and driving 100 mph on the Queen Elizabeth Highway. He also makes good damn coffee.)

We were supposed to meet my folks there, because my folks are fun and besides, there are apple fritters. But though they showed up, they couldn't stay. "It's a hundred degrees out there," my Mother said. "We have dogs. Dogs in the car. We can't leave them in the car in this heat. We like our dogs. Don't you like our dogs? What sort of son are you." So they got drive through, and we made arrangements to stop by the family camp on the lake on our way to Wolfeboro, to hang out with them and see my sister and her kids.

For much of the rest of the day, we wandered a mall. Specifically, the Maine Mall, in South Portland, where both Wednesday and I spent many hours on trips through the state to go places. This then was an opportunity for pointing, staring and nostalgia. We rode the escalators in Macy's, because once it was Jordan Marsh and riding that escalator was the high point of a trip to Portland. I was from Fort Kent. Escalators were astounding things for me. And it was the same escalator. The same weirdass green light underneath it and everything. The entire store space has been remodeled, the mall immeasurably expanded... but that escalator was the same. It was like for one moment, my youth reincarnated.

Wednesday was indulgent.

In Waldenbooks ("I used to go to this Waldenbooks. I spent hours in this Waldenbooks. This was my Waldenbooks") we discovered there was a Portland Anime/Gaming/Webcomics con going on even as we spoke, very close to where we were.

"Webcomics?" I asked.

"Apparently," she said.

"I wonder who they got? Maybe Christopher Mills??"

"Maybe. We should go."

"We totally should. We could go to the webcomics panels."

"We could."

We didn't.

Today, we're feeling ill. But that's okay. We have divot bread.

In other news, I discovered that I missed this month's Feeding Snarky appeared in Comixpedia last week and I missed telling you about it. It was a good one, and this month everyone doesn't hate me for it, which is pretty cool. So please go read it.

And then look at Ping Teo's bit.

Posted by Eric Burns-White at June 26, 2005 9:30 PM

Comments

Comment from: MasonK posted at June 27, 2005 12:06 AM

Did you divide the divot bread?

Comment from: Kate Sith posted at June 27, 2005 12:19 AM

I refuse to recognize your false bread bowl!

Real bread bowls require VIOLENCE.

Divot bread is okay, tho. I think.

(Panera people have to take bread seriously. We made a promise to Mother.)

Comment from: gwalla posted at June 27, 2005 12:19 AM

You're feeling sick because you ate the buffet sushi. Never eat buffet sushi. The fish has been sitting out all day.

Comment from: miyaa posted at June 27, 2005 1:11 AM

Did you order the Tim Bits? My Canadian friends all swear by the Tim Bits. (And the coffee too.)

I would like to know if you're also familiar with the Maine soft-drink beverage known as Moxie. Someone I know from Newfoundland swears by it (Maybe I should find Canadian friends that don't swear as much), routinely taking trips into Maine for the beverage.

Comment from: SeanH posted at June 27, 2005 2:03 AM

Gosh darn it, Eric. Recently I've been having bouts of remembering things I can get in America but not in England and missing them. To the list of Dentyne gum (cinnamon flavour) and Altoids (cinnamon flavour) you have added Timbits and Tim Hortons coffee. Now I'm going to be craving all day.

Comment from: kirabug posted at June 27, 2005 7:35 AM

It's funny how people get clingy about their Waldenbooks. I worked at Waldenbooks for five years - two locations - both of which I still think of as mine even though I don't like to shop at either of them anymore. Feels like seeing someone else dressed in your favorite shirt.

Surprised you could find an actual Waldenbooks though - all ours down here were converted to Borders Express, and our Preferred Reader cards are no good anymore.

Comment from: MasonK posted at June 27, 2005 8:43 AM

Heh. Is Eric familiar with Moxie. Heh. Heh heh.

Comment from: Daemonic posted at June 27, 2005 8:49 AM

Mmmm....

Tim Hortons Coffee.

Comment from: Stuart Robertson posted at June 27, 2005 8:51 AM

That reminds me -- time to go downstairs for Timmy's.

Comment from: Eric Burns posted at June 27, 2005 9:18 AM

First off, Weds got the Tim Bits. She hardly could go without getting the Tim Bits. (I can't have such things, what with the sugar and the dumping and all.)

Secondly... yes, I know from Moxie. In fact, my family is partially responsible for the development of Moxie. It's a part of my patrimonial heritage.

Which would make me more proud if Moxie weren't... well... repulsive.

Which is not a knock on your friend. Those who like Moxie swear by it. They adore it. But I assume there's a gene in us that controls whether we like Moxie or like. I'm not sure if it's something that gives us an extra taste receptor to like it... or if people who like it can't actually detect the horrible aftertaste.

Comment from: alienpriest posted at June 27, 2005 9:34 AM

Why are the dogs in the car..?

I suppose I will never understand dog people. I leave my pets at home. (Then again, few appreciate it when I take two 6ft long colombian redtail boas for a walk)

Comment from: Eric Burns posted at June 27, 2005 9:44 AM

My parents bring their dogs everywhere. They cannot abide leaving them at home. I don't know why.

In this case, it made some sense -- from there, they were heading on to a trip to the lake. Naturally, they wanted the dogs along.

Comment from: William_G posted at June 27, 2005 10:16 AM

As a Canuck, I shall have to blaspheme againt my national treasure and stand by my recent discovery of the kick-assidness of Krispy Kreme donuts.

Sorry Timmys, you had me but you lost me. Still love your bread bowl soups though.

Why didnt you guys swing up to Canada itself? America already owns the place, so I cant see any border troubles. Then head over to Halifax and scarf down some donairs for me.

Comment from: William_G posted at June 27, 2005 10:17 AM

mmmm... I miss donairs... Well, I miss eating them. The after effects I'm not happy with.

Comment from: Christopher Mills posted at June 27, 2005 11:21 AM

Nobody invites me anywhere.

I have more than a few memories (on my shelves, in fact) of that Waldenbooks. As a teenager and young adult, I spent a lot of hours in that store...

You know, I haven't been to the Mall since I moved back to Maine. Think the wife and I will have to make a road trip if I can persuade her to leave the dog at home. :)

Comment from: Christopher Mills posted at June 27, 2005 11:23 AM

Oh yeah, the wife LOVES Moxie... and she's from Missouri.

Me, can't stand the stuff.

Comment from: Wednesday posted at June 27, 2005 11:29 AM

We didn't go to Canada for two reasons:

1) Since I'm here on a British passport (the most sensible option when one has to go back to Britain at the end of the trip), the processing would have been a pain in both directions;

2) I am full of loathing for my home province, and it would have taken too long to go someplace which doesn't suck instead.

Also, drive time.

Comment from: Phil Kahn posted at June 27, 2005 11:41 AM

Dude! We have a Green Fields Churrascaria down here also! I fucking love that place. The meat... the meat!

Comment from: Eric Burns posted at June 27, 2005 11:42 AM

Technically, we're significantly closer to Quebec than New Brunswick at the moment. You know, technically.

Comment from: Eric Burns posted at June 27, 2005 11:45 AM

The MEEEEEEAT!

Comment from: SeanH posted at June 27, 2005 12:15 PM

Wednesday said: I am full of loathing for my home province

I hate Newfoundland 'cause they talk so weird

And Prince Edward Island is too small

Nova Scotia's dumb 'cause it's the name of a bank

New Brunswick doesn't have a good mall

Quebec is revolting and it makes me mad

Ontario sucks, Ontario sucks

(Manitoba's population density is 1.9 people per square kilometer. Isn't that stupid?)

Saskatchewan is boring and the people are old

And as for the territories - they're too cold!

And the only really good thing about the province of British Columbia is that it's right next to us!

'Cause Albertaaaaaaaa

Doesn't suck

But Calgary does

Comment from: gwalla posted at June 27, 2005 1:12 PM

William G, I just lost all of my respect for you. Krispy Kremes are terrible.

Comment from: jpcardier posted at June 27, 2005 1:18 PM

The Snark Wrote:

"We're both feeling somewhat ill. The last couple of days were whirlwinds of driving and seeing things. We went to a Brazilian restaurant with friends of ours -- a buffet called the Green Field Churrascaria where among other things waiters walk up to your table with skewers of steaming, glorious meats. "Sirloin?" they ask. "Roast beef?" "Rabbit?" "Bacon wrapped chicken?""

I loooove Brazilian Barbecue, aka Churrascaria. It is a tribute to canivoral gluttony. Sweet, sweet gluttony. But I can only go maybe twice a year, or I would weigh 400 pounds. Besides, I don't think it's good for your arteries to bathe in saturated fat and uric acid more than that. To annoy Wednesday and quote the CM, Churrascaria is a *sometimes* food.

Comment from: Wednesday posted at June 27, 2005 1:20 PM

Dear Eric:

Quebec is not really a province. You can tell because they have not signed the Charter. The fact that they have all of the provincial trappings is merely distraction.

Your laundry shall now be held at bay until such time as you concede that we therefore couldn't have gone to Quebec, since it is not a province.

Yours,

-- wednesday.

Comment from: Eric Burns posted at June 27, 2005 1:26 PM

I'll happily stipulate that, Weds. After all, I'm an American anyway, so the urge to say "Whut state are those in?" is overpowering to begin with.

Besides, I need my laundry.

Comment from: Wednesday posted at June 27, 2005 2:13 PM

Ah, well. So much for the cunning plan to abduct the flannel trousers.

Comment from: Axonite posted at June 27, 2005 11:08 PM

I don't know... I like Moxie, and I can definitely detect the aftertaste. (And I don't think Moxie bottled in Pennsylvania tastes any different than the Moxie I had in Massachusetts, so that wouldn't explain it.)

Fun fact: They also make Diet Moxie. I picked up a 6-pack of it for my wife a year or two ago, but I'm not sure she appreciated it...

Comment from: miyaa posted at June 27, 2005 11:29 PM

Speaking of carbonated beverages, I ask the general Websnark community...Coke Zero: Yea, or nay?

Comment from: DarkStar posted at June 28, 2005 1:23 AM

That feeling that a particular store is "yours" extends to many forms of book stores. I worked for a year at a Chapters. It was MY store. I haven't worked there for 3 years. I don't think I've even stepped foot in it in over 2. And yet, it remains my store. I'll probably go in some day and everything will be shuffled about and re-arranged and new and I'll feel shock and loss. But a part of it will probably remain mine. Weird how those kind of attachments last.

Comment from: Aerin posted at June 28, 2005 2:07 AM

You know, I almost always misread "Feeding Snarky" as "Feeling Snarky," and I really don't know why.

Comment from: Wednesday posted at June 28, 2005 12:12 PM

I need to bring back a bottle for comparison purposes, but IMO Coke Zero is basically the mainland European version of Diet Coke/Coca Cola Light, repackaged because you already had a product by that name. Now, I'm wondering whether this means Diet Coke will eventually become Coke Zero in Europe, because the UK has adopted the Zero nomenclature for Sprite, Dr Pepper and Fanta as well. I also wonder whether we'll totally not get Diet Coke Splenda or the new Pepsi One (which I still also need to try -- note to self: stop by convenience store).

None of this, you understand, holds a candle to Diet Cherry Vanilla Dr Pepper.

Comment from: Thomas Blight posted at July 4, 2005 3:16 PM

Hmm... I always thought it was Tim Horton's, because it was possesive (as in, this is Tim Horton's coffee shop). Not that I look at the sign. I even work there...

Checking my Employee's Handbook, you're right. I still prefer Tim Horton's though. Putting an 's' on the name of the man just doesn't make sense to me.

Don't we all have "Our Store"s? Mine's a small video game shop nearby. I know the manager and most of the employees there.