« [w] A null thar nan eileanan, gu dhĂ Ameireaga gun teid sinn... | Main | Bringing the Story: The Epic Shortbread »

Eric: Well, it's midnight where I am....

It has been an exceptionally good day, largely spent with the coolest person in the Western Hemisphere, Shaenon Garrity of Narbonic. I'll write up our historic meeting later this weekend, as well as getting the next several Shortbread categories out, but for today I'm tired and enjoying memories of fun times, conversation, slacking-off sea lions and kickass a capella music.

Also? The Bay Area's light rail system seriously rocks.

Posted by Eric Burns-White at May 26, 2005 11:59 PM

Comments

Comment from: David Morgan-Mar posted at May 27, 2005 5:24 AM

That's an unfair claim!... oh, no, wait... I'm in the Eastern Hemisphere. Okay then. ;-)

Comment from: Tangent posted at May 27, 2005 10:52 AM

Heh. We'd be berating you for not giving us our Shortbread on time, but hanging around Shaenon Garrity definitely is a worthy cause. Have fun!

Robert A. Howard, Tangents reviewer

Comment from: Greg Dean posted at May 27, 2005 11:34 AM

You're in the bay area?! And you didn't inform us ahead of time!? That's like... around here and stuff!

Comment from: Pooga posted at May 27, 2005 1:39 PM

I don't know... maybe it's just me..., but when he said repeatedly he was going to Baycon, I just took it as a given that it was something in the bay area... :)

Comment from: Eric Burns posted at May 27, 2005 1:44 PM

I must confess, Mister Dean, I am even as we speak in Palo Alto, and soon shall be in San Jose. (Do you, by any chance, know the way?)

If you've the gumption to make it down towards Baycon, I'll stand you and Elizabeth to beverages. That right there's a promise. ;)

Comment from: Greg Dean posted at May 27, 2005 2:21 PM

For all my big talk, making it down to baycon this week/end would be nearly impossible - this sunday we officially take posession of our new downtown sacramento apartment, and saturday is going to be spent preparing for that endeavor. You tempt me, too. The promise of free (insert thing here) is always tempting. :D

Talking the wife into it would take some doing, at the very least. :P

Comment from: Forsaken_One posted at May 27, 2005 5:53 PM

BART rocks? Seriously? BART?

Huh...

Comment from: Eric Burns posted at May 27, 2005 6:04 PM

No no, Forsaken. Caltrain rocks.

Comment from: thok posted at May 27, 2005 6:08 PM

Given that he's been in San Jose and Palo Alto, I suspect Eric is talking about CalTrain and not BART. BART's OK, and is great for going to A's games, but won't extend to the South Bay for another ten years.

Any chance you're meeting up with Andy Weir (of Casey and Andy), or is he busy preparing to move?

Comment from: Forsaken_One posted at May 27, 2005 8:40 PM

Ah, when I hear Bay Area light rail I think Bay Area Rapid Transit. Good, my mind is no longer blown. ;)

Comment from: siwangmu posted at May 28, 2005 12:08 AM

Ooh, what kickass a cappella music? I loves me some kickass a cappella music. Also, it so completely freaks me out that you (Greg Dean) are from Sacramento. I mean, I'm from Sacramento. Not sure why it's freaky, just... you're all with the internet and the famous or at least highly notable, and Sacramento's sort of... I don't know. It's like someone saying, "Oh, yeah, I'm actually from... your living room." So I'm all, "Oh, my living room? Um, nice couch in there, huh?"

Comment from: theErik posted at May 28, 2005 4:56 AM

Well, considering BayCon is in San Jose and that the VTA is so unimaginative as to have named its light rail system "Light Rail", I suspect he may mean that. Which would leave me even more bemused, given that while it does have nice cars it doesn't really cover a critical mass of territory. (And doesn't connect to the airport, and goes maddeningly slowly through downtown, and...) But it does go just a couple of blocks from the hotel where BayCon is, so that's something in its favor.

Besides, CalTrain is definitely heavy rail, and BART is usually considered heavy itself.

Comment from: gwalla posted at May 29, 2005 2:56 AM

I think you mean "San Jose's light rail", Eric. There is no light rail system that serves the entire bay area. Caltrain is heavy rail (and I believe only on the peninsula), San Francisco has its trolleys (not just the cable cars), BART is a subway/overhead hybrid mishmash, and the North Bay (Marin, Sonoma, etc.) has jack shit as far as I can tell.