« [w] Priority Origami | Main | Dead Dogs. »

Wednesday: [w] Brevity

The day was surprisingly exhausting. Eric's still away, and I have very little for you. I am very sorry.

I did join the ranks of people who had seen Episode III tonight, though. (I didn't really want to join the hordes of chav cosplayers descending upon the town centre that Friday night, and had no company until now.) I don't actually have a useful opinion; Star Wars isn't really part of my nostalgia (didn't see the originals sensibly through until just prior to the special edition releases to cinema, and I was quite drunk when I did), and all the appropriate remarks about corniness or whiz-bangery and such have been made. This mostly leaves poor Dead Milkmen filk, and I'm not about to do that in a public forum. It's just not right.

(Mostly: "Okay. That was shiny. Can I see Serenity now?")

It did strike me to mention, however, that there's something very wrong with a world where the trailers before a bloody Star Wars film are all desperately uninspiring. For example, I now actively don't want to see War of the Worlds, because it seemed indistinguishable from a run-of-the-mill disaster flick, and that's wrong. At the very least, I should merely be apathetic about an adaptation of War of the Worlds.

I don't even remember what the other stuff was.

That's incredibly depressing.

Anyhow. Eric will be in a plane tomorrow. Tomorrow, we will talk about webcomic site infrastructure some more. Or something.

Tomorrow.

Posted by Wednesday Burns-White at May 30, 2005 9:32 PM

Comments

Comment from: Moe Lane posted at May 30, 2005 11:45 PM

No Narnia preview? I also went today with my fiancee and this was the first that I had heard of it; made my day, let me tell you.

I mean, it looks like that they left in the allegory.

Moe

Comment from: stoneegg21 posted at May 30, 2005 11:53 PM

I got to see Narnia as well. Very neat. Although none of the other trailers were.

Comment from: DanShive posted at May 30, 2005 11:54 PM

They had previews for "War of the Worlds", "Batman Begins", and "The Fantastic Four" when I went... at least, those are the ones I remember.

Comment from: Ununnilium posted at May 31, 2005 1:00 AM

Comment from: Ununnilium posted at May 31, 2005 1:02 AM

I got the full monty - War of the Worlds, Narnia, Batman Begins, Fantastic Four, Serenity, Mr. and Mrs. Smith, and... at least one other, some mediocre kids' movie I don't remember. Generally exciting, anyway. ``v

Comment from: Dave Van Domelen posted at May 31, 2005 1:13 AM

Geek that I am, I take notes on my PDA about which trailers I get. I got: Mr. & Mrs. Smith, Batman Begins, Bewitched, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Stealth (MUAHAHAHAHAHA!) and Fantastic Four. I've been to both HHGTTG and Ep3 and NOT seen the Serenity Trailer on the big screen. Moderately peeved at the local theater, I am.

Comment from: Aerin posted at May 31, 2005 2:27 AM

Mmm, Serenity. I am a terribly impatient Browncoat, so I spent a good chunk of money to go to the Vegas screening last Thursday. Very, very, very good movie. But be warned: it's extremely intense. I think by the time it goes to full release in September I'll be able to go through it again.

Comment from: Stephen Kyle posted at May 31, 2005 3:00 AM

Bless the UK, we got a trailer for Sin City. :D

(And War of the Worlds, Fantastic Four, and that's all I can remember..)

Comment from: Merus posted at May 31, 2005 3:49 AM

Don't think I got the Batman Begins trailer, but I did get Narnia (why does the trailer make it look like straight fantasy? Never remembered it being straight fantasy), War of the Worlds (I might go see it just to see Tom Cruise in a disaster movie, to see if he looks scared), Fantastic Four (lame), Mr. and Mrs. Smith (fun premise, not enough for a movie, though) and the Bewitched teaser (which gets airtime because Nicole Kidman's in it - too early to tell about that one).

Comment from: Ununnilium posted at May 31, 2005 12:37 PM

That's right. We got Stealth as well (yet *another* AI Frankenstein. AUGH) and Bewitched.

Comment from: lochinola posted at May 31, 2005 3:07 PM

I'm glad I'm not the only one who saw the trailer for Stealth and laughed out loud. It's totally a Jaws remake! :)

They also had Pink Panther (if anyone can pull this off, it's Steve Martin. *fingers crossed*) and Wedding Crashers (blech) trailers at my showing.

Comment from: Connor Moran posted at June 1, 2005 1:39 AM

Wait. Are you saying that the robot killing machine...turns evil?

They'll never see it coming.

The only trailer that I got that doesn't seem to be mentioned by anyone else here is "The Island." At which I can only quote the soundtrack Team America World Police and ask, "Why DOES Michael Bay get to keep on making movies?"

Vis a vis LW&W--Wonderworks FOREVER

Comment from: Karacan posted at June 1, 2005 8:47 AM

I wholeheartedly agree with the unimpressiveness of the War Of The Worlds trailer... At first, it looks like your run-of-the-mill tornado desaster movie, and then there's something invisible. Wohoo.

The Batmantrailer and Narnia actually piqued my curiousity - I'll see them both. Though the Disney logo for Narnia scared me.

Comment from: gwalla posted at June 1, 2005 3:53 PM

Stealth. Johnny Five is alive...and he's pissed!

You'd think they'd put some electrical shielding on a super-expensive robot plane. You'd also think they could just wait until the damn thing runs out of gas to take it out easily.

Comment from: Danalog posted at June 1, 2005 5:35 PM

Oh noes! Electricity has rewired another AI! Let's call in someone on their Mac laptop to fix it from another plane!