« Chuy could have mentioned the clear dichotomy of design, too. If, you know, he wanted to. | Main | With all due respect to Chaobell.... »

Eric: In the midst of death, there is new life... or a mangled Star Trek reference, anyway.

The Ex-Keenspot Six Chris Crosby alluded to in the comments of the Keenspottish snark have now all been identified. Brad Guigar and Paul Taylor are moving on as well.

But at the same time, some of the best Keenspot news I've heard in a while has come down the pike. Jennie Breeden, author of the exceptional The Devil's Panties (and the deeply fun Geebas on Parade) is moving on up to the 'Spot. As she was one of the people I specifically mentioned in the last snark, I am A) very pleased, B) think this is a great move for Keenspot, and C) completely taking the credit despite the fact that they probably discussed this months ago.

Given that one of the more recent additions was Todd and Penguin, it's safe to say I'm liking a lot of the Freshmen Spotters so far.

Now, if only I can use my frightening mental powers to get them to make an offer to Two Lumps...

Posted by Eric Burns-White at May 18, 2005 1:10 PM

Comments

Comment from: Jamie posted at May 18, 2005 1:45 PM

Also just added , Penny and Aggie, by two outstanding webcomics veterans,

Gis└le Lagac╗ and T Campbell! Sorry if this was already mentioned.

Comment from: Eric Burns posted at May 18, 2005 1:51 PM

Good mention! And another good choice. I confess to being a Penny and Aggie fan.

Comment from: Montykins posted at May 18, 2005 2:42 PM

Okay, so which comics are leaving Keenspot? I only recognize a few by last name, so aside from Checkboard Nightmare, I only know that Greystone Inn is leaving because that got specifically snarked. Is there a straightforward list of departures?

Comment from: Paul Southworth posted at May 18, 2005 2:45 PM

Steve Troop, Kris Straub, Brad Guigar, Paul Taylor, David Willis, Brad Guigar

Comment from: Paul Southworth posted at May 18, 2005 2:45 PM

Haha, I wrote Brad twice and forgot myself. Paul Southworth.

Der.

Comment from: quiller posted at May 18, 2005 2:49 PM

Huh, I still think of Wapsi Square as a recent pickup. I wonder how long it has actually been.

Comment from: Eric Burns posted at May 18, 2005 2:49 PM

Melonpool, Checkerboard Nightmare (and Straub's new strip), Greystone Inn (and Courting Disaster et al), Wapsi Square, Shortpacked (It's Walky etc), and Krazy Larry (and Southworth's new strip).

Comment from: Montykins posted at May 18, 2005 2:54 PM

Thanks!

Comment from: quiller posted at May 18, 2005 2:55 PM

I think the list he is looking for is:

Melonpool

Checkerboard Nightmare

Greystone Inn

Wapsi Square

Shortpacked/Roomies/It's Walky

Krazy Larry

Comment from: Misha Grin posted at May 18, 2005 3:08 PM

Allow me to join the chorus of "About Bloody Time, Too!" As for Pennie and Aggie, it's one of those I keep meaning to get around to. I've missed Gisele since "Cool Cat Studios" quit updating. :-(

Comment from: J. Grant posted at May 18, 2005 3:48 PM

Blowjobs!

Comment from: William_G posted at May 18, 2005 4:36 PM

They haven't moved up Ghastly?

Comment from: scrubbo posted at May 18, 2005 5:09 PM

Of course not! Nobody would want crass humor and sexual innuendo on Keenspot! We must maintain its purity!

Comment from: suz posted at May 18, 2005 7:34 PM

That's great for Jennie! I've literally been planning a trip to a con just so I can meet her.

Comment from: Bo Lindbergh posted at May 18, 2005 7:45 PM

Quoth quiller:

Since October 2003.

Comment from: Misha Grin posted at May 18, 2005 8:44 PM

I was just thinking that maybe I should suggest a few who deserve Spotting when I realized... I'm not even 100% sure what the current Keenspot ROSTER is. I hit most of 'em through either direct URLs or through TheWebComicList now, and don't pay that much attention to the ads...

Comment from: DanShive posted at May 18, 2005 9:44 PM

Go here for the current listings: http://www.keenspot.com/

It will be updated next week to reflect the comics leaving and the comics joining, assuming the comics joining have their material for the front page ready (we make our own "pogs" and write our own descriptions; yay creative freedom ^_^ )

Even if a comic doesn't show up on the front page yet, however, there's always the dropdown at the top of every page, and that should be current (though the spotters leaving haven't technically "left" yet, so they're still listed at the moment).

Comment from: e-monk posted at May 18, 2005 10:59 PM

"In the midst of life we are in death, ectsetra.

Ectsetera! Ectsetera! Ectsetera!

And in the midst of life we are in debt, ectsetra!"

(I know it's spelled et cetera, but that's how Morrissey must think it's spelled, because that's how he keeps pronouncing it.)

You could run me over both ways with a Star Trek reference and I wouldn't know a thing about it, but I make up for it with a former high-school freak's knowledge of Smiths lyrics.

Comment from: quiller posted at May 18, 2005 11:47 PM

So, here's another voice in the wilderness saying that Keenspot should consider extending an offer to Two Lumps.

Ghastly's traffic seems deserving of a spot on Keenspot, and it is a good comic, but I won't be holding my breath waiting for it to be added to the lineup.

Comment from: gwalla posted at May 19, 2005 3:07 AM

I got a sketch from Jennie before she was famous! ;)

Ghastly is frequently funny, but the art is mediocre. If Keenspot's really serious about raising their standards, I don't think it makes the cut. Sexy Losers would make more sense but I believe that ship has sailed.

Comment from: RKMilholland posted at May 19, 2005 5:57 AM

Ghastly's art is better than quite a few of the comics on KeenSpot. Hell, it's better than a lot of the art in syndicated strips, too. People seem to forget not everyone reads comics for the art. Most read them because their funny.

The art in the Far Side and Dilbert aren't anything to get excited over, and yet both are adored around the world.

In fact, the only people I know who get cranky about bad art in comics are usually other cartoonists.

Comment from: Ray Radlein posted at May 19, 2005 11:32 AM

Let's see... aside from the suggestions other folks have made, some 'Space toons which I think deserve 'Spotting are Eight to One and The Doctor Pepper Show, both of which have suffered from frequent schedule interruptions, alas; and Station V3 (the only comic on my daily trawl that I discovered through Wikipedia) and Fallen Angels Used Books, which occupy opposite ends of the iconicrealistic art spectrum with perfect grace.

Comment from: gwalla posted at May 20, 2005 2:27 AM

Randy: I said "if they're serious about raising their standards", which is something they keep saying they're doing.

Comment from: The Matt Who Is posted at May 22, 2005 8:29 PM

To the guy who wanted to go to a Con just to meet Jennie... it's totally worth it. She attends, like, a million Cons a year and she'll be really happy to see you.

Matt